The TRUTH about BAKING SODA, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, LEMON JUICE and DR BRONNERS on HAIR

song_of_serenity

PH balance test from Kimmaytube with these substances and how it would affect hair! Worth a watch if you use or are thinking of using these items!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBP7CzoiLbQ&feature=channel

Not only am I a HUGE fan of her hair and styles, I love that she brings knowledge and backs it up with physical facts, too!

Even if you continue to use them, it's still good to know just what you are putting on your hair and the effects!

Sapphire_chic

Re: The TRUTH about BAKING SODA, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, LEMON JUICE and DR BRONNERS on

Wow I've been using way too much acv in the past, I don't use any of the other things.

Yea I do love kimmaytube, I invested in some ph balance strips and they are great for testing the moisturisers I mix.

JuiceMobsta

Re: The TRUTH about BAKING SODA, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, LEMON JUICE and DR BRONNERS on

Hmmm I have some Dr. Bronners but I have never tried it on my hair, I wonder if it matters for skin as well, cause I dont dilute it...:look:

When I was watching the video I could barely tell what the color change was,lol...:giggle:

Sapphire_chic

^^ haha me neither, my stips just change one colour where ever it touches

LoveCraze

Naturalista

I thought the whole idea behind using a higher pH product such as baking soda was because you WANTED to open your cuticles for conditioning. And then by using the lower ph product, it closes them. Granted you probably wouldn't want to use a product whose pH is too low, but at least a 4 pH would be able to restore your hair back to it's normal balance. Still I love her vids. In the end you just have to listen to your hair and go from there.

WyrdWay

Thanks I was wondering why when I did a wash with baking soda last year my hair just fell apart >< you could touch it and half of the length would just shatter :( it was horrible .

IrisDaVirus

Thanks I was wondering why when I did a wash with baking soda last year my hair just fell apart >< you could touch it and half of the length would just shatter :( it was horrible .
The same thing happened to me. Baking soda was corrosive as heck on my hair and I hardly used it. I had to do a pretty big cut February 2009 because my hair broke so bad.

song_of_serenity

Are you serious? Ouch.
They say follow a BSW with ACV ...I wouldn't use either anymore (MAYBE super diluted ACV but beyond that, no...

If I want a cleaned scalp, bentonite clay is GREAT for that!!

sleepflower

I thought the whole idea behind using a higher pH product such as baking soda was because you WANTED to open your cuticles for conditioning. And then by using the lower ph product, it closes them. Granted you probably wouldn't want to use a product whose pH is too low, but at least a 4 pH would be able to restore your hair back to it's normal balance. Still I love her vids. In the end you just have to listen to your hair and go from there.

She addresses this point in the videos about it. Daring to use science to better understand haircare was a major controversy so there are quite a few videos about pH balance.

I was wondering how long it would take for this to end up here. :lachen:

Iamhim

Thank you so much for posting the link! Very informative!

ceebee3

My hair would be so angry if I ever used any of that stuff. :nono:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing

Last week I tried to use baking soda on my hair for the first time and it didn't feel soft at all. I read online that baking soda works well to remove chlorine. From reading past threads on LHCF about women mixing baking soda w/ conditioner to soften the hair, I thought my hair would come out soft while still removing the chlorine.

I've also read that ACV removes chlorine too.

Now, I don't know what to do cause swimmer shampoos strip my hair something terrible.

WyrdWay

Are you serious? Ouch.
They say follow a BSW with ACV ...I wouldn't use either anymore (MAYBE super diluted ACV but beyond that, no...

Yeah, it was horrible. It was right after I found the hair boards and the you tube videos and I was just so excited about growing my hair out I didn't research it that well (at all).

so now I have a bunch of hairs around my front hair line that used to be collar bone length that were chin length or shorter after that.

Chameleonchick

Man that was very informative. I know I use way more than what she used in a cup of water, Yikes!

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing

Ok, so I just watched her entire series about pH and hair structure. I'm glad I watched it. I will not be using baking soda again. When using ACV, I will definitely be sure to dilute it.

^^^ I hear you Priss....YIIIIIKkkEEESS!!! I know I use waaaaay too much of the Dr. Bronners. Guess I'll be using that stuff to clean the bathroom after I wash my amla and brahmi mask out of my hair.

Creatividual

^^^ I hear you Priss....YIIIIIKkkEEESS!!! I know I use waaaaay too much of the Dr. Bronners. Guess I'll be using that stuff to clean the bathroom after I wash my amla and brahmi mask out of my hair.

Saw this vid and the other ones from her pH series a while back. It was very eye opening and I got to understand the science behind why my ACV rinses and aloe vera juice in my spritz mixes make my hair feel so darn good! I too had to stop using Dr. Bronners to cleanse my hair. I was diluting it but not nearly as much as I should have according to her vid so I just went out and bought a sulfate free shampoo.

LongCurlz

When I used Dr.Bronners soap it burned my scalp and left a scab and i diluted it very well, so i used the rest to wash my dishes with lol

I'm glad she has scientific proof to back up her theories, i love her channel!

SouthernBeauty

When I used Dr.Bronners soap it burned my scalp and left a scab and i diluted it very well, so i used the rest to wash my dishes with lol

I'm glad she has scientific proof to back up her theories, i love her channel!
The same thing happened to me! :yep::yep:
ETA: Thanks for the info OP!!

lovegymnasts

Well, I was already diluting both the acv and baking soda a lot. I love both so I will just dilute them some more.
They both work wonderfully for me.
Also, the acv rinse is the only thing that keeps my little sister's dandruff problems under control.

natty rebels

Of course i see this today after i did a long abandoned baking soda and conditioner mixup in my hair yesterday.. naturally... sigh.. i tell yah

Nonie

Loved that video. It confirmed I wasn't crazy.

I used to use Dr Bonner's Castile (Peppermint) when I first joined the forum. I was advised I should use it on my scalp only during my wash and then use CON on my hair. I was so new to LHCF that I didn't even know what I'm supposed to feel or do, but my idols were using these products so I did too. I'm so glad I stopped because I just don't remember feeling as good about my hair as I used to feel when I used Pantene or another sulphate moisturizing shampoo. I had that Castile soap for almost a whole because I just couldn't get with it, and was happy to give it to my MIL when she came to visit because she loved to use it as a body wash.

Now baking soda, I didn't need to use it more than once to know it was the debil. It probably spoke volumes to me too coz I don't use leave-in products so my hair really doesn't need clarifying. Anyway, I had heard that if you added it to shampoo, you'd make the shampoo a clarifier. Lawd ha'mercy! The minute I applied that to my hair, the b/r was filled with the smell you get when you're relaxing your hair. Panic galore! I rinsed it so fast and almost in tears thinking I'd relaxed my hair. Lawd, my hair felt so dry and rough and had this grayish, dull look to it. I had samples of L'Anza shampoo so I used one of the moisturizing ones to bring my hair back to life. I never let BS get near my hair after that again...except for when I heard it's good for the face and chanced that only to learn again that BS is NOT my friend. :wallbash: The only time BS has been good for me is when I have consumed it. In water, it is good for UTI and good for creating an alkaline environment inside (<--I haven't used it for that yet.)

I haven't used lemon for my hair because I've seen it in rinses for oily hair, and mine isn't.

Now ACV, I love and as you will see in a lot of the threads I've posted in it, I always say err on the side of caution by using less than you think you need, because any acidity is better than none and so even a drop changes the pH of water to be more acidic and therefore better for you hair than the water w/o it. Too much acidity breaks down keratin, which might explain why people who use a tblsp in a glass of water end up not liking how their hair feels.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston

I use it alllllll the time to remove rust too! IMO, if it can do all of that, it's probably too harsh to be used on delicate hair.

Last week I tried to use baking soda on my hair for the first time and it didn't feel soft at all. I read online that baking soda works well to remove chlorine. From reading past threads on LHCF about women mixing baking soda w/ conditioner to soften the hair, I thought my hair would come out soft while still removing the chlorine.

I've also read that ACV removes chlorine too.

Now, I don't know what to do cause swimmer shampoos strip my hair something terrible.

Solitude

Are you serious? Ouch.

I didn't know bentonite clay was good for the scalp. How does it work, and where do you buy bentonite clay? The "clay" doesn't dry you hair out? TIA

She addresses this point in the videos about it. Daring to use science to better understand haircare was a major controversy so there are quite a few videos about pH balance.

I was wondering how long it would take for this to end up here. :lachen:

I've been wondering this, too. These vids caused a stir on youtube.

Solitude

Oh, if anybody is looking to get rid of some castile soap after watching this, it works great for cleaning carpet stains (diluted), and washing delicates.

westNDNbeauty

I bathe with castile soap. Never knew people used it for hair until reading on this board.

naturalgyrl5199

Very informative...I am going to get some strips for myself!

I use 1-2 tsp of ACV in 1 Liter of Warm water as I learned on KISS....Even with such a dilution the ACV smell was very strong....so I will cut back to 1/2-1 tsp of ACV in 1 Liter of water......I'll probably still get the same great results I was getting before! I'm in braids now so I haven't used it in about 2 months!

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess

i use Super super super diluted acv when my hair is weaved up. just to keep my scalp from itching. it works fine for me, but i have to keep it diluted.

i have also heard that baking soda mixed into conditioner has a better result than the BS and water mixes alot of people use.

having said that....it's great to get all the information about how these items can affect your hair so that you can make an informed choice about what to use on your own head.

thanks for the vid!