I am convinced Haitian women have a hair secret....

Kinkyhairlady

The reason why I say that is because I know so many Haitian girls that I grew up with in church and school and they literally had either no hair or very short hair when they were younger and now all of the sudden their hair is like shoulder length, bra strap length and even waist length. I really think they are all using something especially the ones that go to my old church. I just can't find out what the secret is. I have asked and they will say nothing. One said she and her sisters use Doo gro I don't buy it for a second. I know there a lot of good Haitian products out there like ( minoval, miss Antilles and Ketty Hair) I don't know if there are any others that are good but can someone please tell me what the secret is. Also I don't think it is hair care that is giving these girls these results. I take care of my hair well and I don't think I can get to bra strap in under a year.

bajanplums1

I am not certain that it is a Haitian thing. My two closest friends are Haitian and neither of them have the hair you describe. I give them hair advice based on LHCF. However one of my friend has 2 cousins who have very nice hair. However, the cousins are Haitians who are mixed with French, so they are biracial--hence the ability to retain length.

Probably one church memeber learne the secrets to hair care and shared it with others in the church--I mean if they are good church going folk, the ought not be selfish.

Kinkyhairlady

I implied to one girl if she was popping pills and she looked at me like I was crazy. She said she does nothing of the sort. How could her hair be 3 inches long last year and now it looks like it is about 15- 20 inches how is this possible. They are so old fashion and I really don't see them sharing hair secrets I more see them sharing where to buy this product they all are using and don't want to share. Believe it or not i have noticed many people like this they don't want to tell their hair secrets, especially if it is a product they know works miracles. I am telling you many other people have noticed this at the church how so many of these girls hairs are growing. And the funny thing it is the popular people and the ones who are quiet like me are still struggling. Just makes me suspicious.

Lorraine

Hmmm... interesting. I hope they share their secret if it's so. On the flip side sometimes ladies share their hair growth tips the way they share their salary. They give you just enough to know the ball park but never the real deal. They could be following a strict regimen that they either don't want to share or it's too detailed to go through. :lol:

bajanplums1

Well you know what, their "secret" cannot be any different from what we all know. They probably consume plenty of protein for growth whether through food, supplement or something applied to the scalp and keep the growth they have moist and protected.

Britt

Meinzzfuture (past FOTM) is Haitian and I don't think she has any secrets :lol:. When we used to go the hairdresser I didn't see her use anything out the norm. Her hair is pretty much waist length.

Kinkyhairlady

Classimami the products I mentioned are from france I believe and many Haitians do use them. They are like the WGO and surge of the Haitian culture. I have used them with ok result nothing spectacular. Except for the minoval it did grow the nape of my hair back but I don't use it all over because it has minoxidil in it. Supposedly that breaks your hair off if you stop using it. I stop and my nape is still there so I am not sure but I am not taking any chances.

Victory1

They are braiding their hair at night before putting a satin cap on. It's not a regular braid, it's a bunch of tiny individual stand alone braids (Haitians call it ti tress (pronounced tee-tress)). It takes about 15 to 45 minutes, depending on how thick and how long your hair is).

Victory1 said:
They are braiding their hair at night before putting a satin cap on. It's not a regular braid, it's a bunch of tiny individual stand alone braids (Haitians call it ti tress (pronounced tee-tress)). It takes about 15 to 45 minutes, depending on how thick and how long your hair is).

I wonder how braiding nightly helps their hair.

Kinkyhairlady

Victory how does this aide in hair growth versus just wrapping it up at night. I know as a child my hair did grow alot with "Ti Couri" while using Lwiel Maketi. That is some oil from Haiti which does make the hair grow but it smells 10 times worse the WGO. But I don't think it makes a difference if you braid it up at night or not.

Carlie

If they're braiding their hair in those tiny braids every night, wouldn't it be wavy every day?

Ellis, how do you know they just don't have good weaves? :lol: Just curious...:look:

ChasingBliss

Victory1 said:
Do they do this every night or just once or twice a week?

sugarsweet

Ellis said:
The reason why I say that is because I know so many Haitian girls that I grew up with in church and school and they literally had either no hair or very short hair when they were younger and now all of the sudden their hair is like shoulder length, bra strap length and even waist length. I really think they are all using something especially the ones that go to my old church. I just can't find out what the secret is. I have asked and they will say nothing. One said she and her sisters use Doo gro I don't buy it for a second. I know there a lot of good Haitian products out there like ( minoval, miss Antilles and Ketty Hair) I don't know if there are any others that are good but can someone please tell me what the secret is. Also I don't think it is hair care that is giving these girls these results. I take care of my hair well and I don't think I can get to bra strap in under a year.

I know doo grow really works for me. I put it on everyday and it has worked wonders for my hair, it increased the growth rate and everything. The oil that I used called DOO GRO Medicated Hair Vitalizer
Triple Strength for severely damaged hair promotes strong healthy growing hair 4oz

Even if your hair isn't damaged it still works for growing hair.
hopes this helps a little :) :grin:

bajanplums1

Victory1 said:

I put my hair in rollers every night. I don't know how different it is to braid up your hair. It seems that it's just a method of protection at night.

Victory1

They're doing it everynight. You have to moisterize first (your scalp and then your hair). The braids lock-in moisture and that promotes growth. It also stops your hair from shedding and thus protecting your ends.

And yes, your hair is wavy.

Kinkyhairlady

Carlie, I know they are not wearing weaves. Trust me sometimes I purposely sit behind one of them to look closely. I know that is crazy but I'm nosey. Anyways kind of think of it the braiding at night might aid in hair growth because my mom does this and her hair is long but I always considered it to be genetics for her, my grandmother was half Cuban. I may try this and see what happens. The down side is I won't be able to wear my straight styles everyday. Since I do see most of these people only on the weekend I don't know what styles they wear on the weekdays so maybe this is what they do who knows. I will continue my investigation thought. I will not give up until I find out the secret. Also I just remember a conversation I had with this girl who hair was really short also while growing up and is bra strap length now, she was complaining that her hair is breaking and that she thinks it is stress. She was like the product that she usually uses is not working. I asked her what was that and she totally changed the subject on me. That is why I know there is something but no one wants to share. This girl was a member of that church many years ago so someone there probably shared the secret with her.

Belle Du Jour

Ellis said:
She was like the product that she usually uses is not working. I asked her what was that and she totally changed the subject on me. That is why I know there is something but no one wants to share. This girl was a member of that church many years ago so someone there probably shared the secret with her.

You know, I would probably be agressive about finding out. I would ask her again, or bring up the subject again. What about some of the older ladies in the congregation? Would they help you out if you asked? Girl you can figure out a way to get that info. :)

Carlie

classimami713 said:
You know, I would probably be agressive about finding out. I would ask her again, or bring up the subject again. What about some of the older ladies in the congregation? Would they help you out if you asked? Girl you can figure out a way to get that info. :)
:lol: Y'all are too funny! I guess it time to break out the Sherlock Holmes gear! :lachen:

Kinkyhairlady

You know Classimami that is what I will do. I will call her up tonight and bring it up again. I hope she does not get an attitude. I will let you guys know the answer if she gives me one.

DelightfulFlame

Maybe it's not a big secret. Maybe whatever they do just doesn't work for you. I've tried lots of things on this board that provided some people with mega success and left me wondering what the big deal was.

Belle Du Jour

Ellis said:
You know Classimami that is what I will do. I will call her up tonight and bring it up again. I hope she does not get an attitude. I will let you guys know the answer if she gives me one.

Even if she gets an attitude, that's okay. Y'all, I'm really not a pushy person (really), but if I saw something dramatic like that (short hair to BSL), I would press her for the info, too. Start out by complimenting her hair, and share some of your hair frustrations. Ask her what she does to make her hair look so pretty. Tell her about this board. Anything to let her know that you are serious about your hair, and want her advice.

Remind her that helping your neighbor is the Christian thing to do. :grin:

keylargo

I have a good friend who's haitian and she has long thick bra-strap length hair. when I first met her, she her hair was shorter but still thick and probably shoulder length. she always wore her hair really in a really curly style. we called her "scary spice" (from Spicegirls) because that's how her hair looked. I just assumed it was genetics and that her mother was mixed. She does not look that mixed and her brother doesn't look mixed at all.

Now, she wears her hair straight all the time.

We talk about hair a lot and she never mentioned anything secret. I know she use to go to a dominican salon for a long time to have her hair relaxed and she does not believe in trimming off split ends. She likes to buy stuff from Sallys but I'm not sure what.

I swear that her hair use to smell like some of the dominican conditioners that I just started using. I asked her if she used any of the dominican conditioners but she really didn't comment on them.....Since she's been wearing her hair straight, I don't smell that conditioner smell anymore.

cutebajangirl

I hope you get an answer but some people can be real secretive. I know a girl who has a great head of hair and had to have been on the boards in the past cause she bunned for a year etc. You know just did stuff that no one outside of boards would really think to do. Yet would tell me that it is okay to dye your hair 2x a week if you didn't get the color you wanted or run a no lye perm over a lye to get rid of calcium etc all sorts of stupid ish. Luckily I already knew a lot about hair care pre boards and knew that was off the wall no matter how good and healthy her hair looks.

ladylibra_30

i don't know what secret, if any, there is.

however, i do think it is selfish for one not to share their methods/techniques. someone helped them. i wish they would help you already.

look to the bright side...you are a member of this board and there are a zillion and 1 regimines that you can look at. members are always pushing something that supposedly grows hair.

have you tried surging?

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Hey y'all, I'm Haitian and I ain't got no secrets... :lol:

All Haitian women don't do the 'ti tress'.....at least no one in my family did that and I don't remember that at all as a child. I DO remember the l'huil muskati (Haitian castor oil).....that stuff stinks :ohwell: . My mom would use it on me when I was a kid from time to time and do hot oil treatment with it. And the one thing that most Haitian women are vigilent about is wrapping with a silk or satin scarf. But honestly, just like all other black women, some of us have long thick hair and a lot of us don't. I think it depends on the family and what hair care techniques are passed down. Every week when I was a kid my mom would wash, deep condition with cholesterol, detangle then braid my hair. She did not use those hair barrettes (those tight balls especially) so there was no tension on my hair. She oiled my scalp, braided it into 5 or 6 fat braids and tied it up every night.

The only other thing I can tell you is that a lot of Haitian ppl believe in eating their food only. They won't eat out for nothing. I know that's how my family was. Everything was made from scratch, no short cuts. Occasionally she'd buy KFC or some other fried chicken and make some rice or something to go with it. But God forbid I would come home and tell my mother I had a cheeseburger from McDonalds....she'd just scold me :spank: :lol: We ate a lot of veggies and meat, beans & legumes and homemade fruit juice. I had gotten away from that as I got out on my own and now I find myself getting back to that way of eating and I am so much better for it. :)