What 2 do with relaxed hair after workout???

MzV1991

Okayyy!
Hey Ladies!

I gotta question......
Ive recently joined Lucille Roberts and im on a new workout regimen. Problem is my relaxed head doesnt seem to like it :nono: I know most ladies co wash after working out but my hair doesnt like being wet it starts shedding all over the plce so i dont know what to do to maintain my relaxed hair..

What are some tips...styles...techniques that relaxed hair ladies use to maintain the relaxed look b/c after getting home from the gym my mom did one of these :lachen:because my hair looks so freakin messed up!!! Shes telling me i cant workout and have relaxed hair at the same time...Is it True???

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
A lot of women at my gym are relaxed and they workout hard. They either wear a high-pony, wrap their hair, or do a high-bun. I think they don't take their hair down until their head is dry after the workout. I just got my hair cut into a chin length bob and I plan to wrap it while working out and not letting it down until my head is dry, also lucky for me I don't sweat a lot in my head. HTH

lane

Of course that is not true! It scares me that black women still believe that you can't work out with relaxed hair! Ugh! Obesity is killing us... Luving Me gave some great ideas. Wrapping up your hair may help or placing your hair in a high bun.

Are you shedding after co-washing because your hair is not properly moisturized? I know that co-washing can be tricky and it takes some time to figure out what works for each individual. I'm positive you can find a happy medium between your hair and health!

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
Lane, ITA, I hate when women choose hair over health. It's like ok you wanna have styled hair but a huge butt??? Sorry OP, didn't mean to take it off topic.

lane

Luving Me, I agree and I see more concern with hair over health with RELAXED and NATURAL women. We will concern ourselves with how someone chooses to wear their hair, but not the extra weight crushing their frames.

BellaLunie

I need to get back in the groove of working out but when I did I would wear a phony pony, half wig, or wrap under a black scarf. I really wasn't into my hair at the time either. Does your gym have a sauna? Maybe you can use the sauna after your workout with conditioner in your hair. Hopefully that will combat the shedding

SelfStyled

Working out and relaxed hair definitely go together- it's just that you might not be able to rock straight hair- if that's what you are referring to as the relaxed look. For me I don't care about my hair being straight, it is not possible for me because I sweat and my hair reverts so fast it's funny. If cowash does not work for you, what about a poo w/o sulphates or cleansing conditioners like Wen or Hair One ?

There are days after the gym that I am so tired that I can't even think about cowashing (I usually cowash w/ Hair One aftewards though)- on those days, I wet a facecloth and go though my hair with that, especially my hairline where I sweat the most. I then put some leave in conditioner and tie my hair up in a scarf for about a half hour or until I fell my hair is dry- the result is nice slicked hair that I can wear in a french braid, half wig etc.

Last edited:

The Princess

I run anywhere from 3-8 miles, 4 to 5 times a week, also im relaxed. When I finish working out, I wet my hair and apply conditioner and slick down my edges, put back in a bun, apply a scarf take a shower and go to work. I have less than a hour to get to work, therefore don't have alot of time to do to much. On the weekends, which by the way I still run, I either go to the beatician or wash, DC and do the scarf method.

Sometimes I co wash at night, but the next day im running again. It just depends on how my hair and scalp is feeling.

No extra breakage or shedding. This work well for me.

Also its a female on the team im with, her hair is APL and she wears her hair straight at work daily. I notice she wears a scarf during workout and it be hot too. But it works for her. When I see her at work, her hair still straight, silky and shiny with a nice bump to it, from it being wrapped.

Last edited:
Work out to your heart's content (and health)!

When I work out, I put in a low ponytail and then pin it up. Sometimes I'll use a cotton scarf over it and sometimes I won't. Afterwards, I do co-wash, moisturize, seal, and air dry either using the scarf method or braids. Since I workout five days a week, I co-wash 3-4x a week (well, one of those washings is actually a deep conditioning).

sunnieb

I sweat ALOT when I workout! My hair is soaked! If it's a shampoo/deep condition night, I do that. If not, I cowash, air dry and style (bun, bantu knot out, braid out, etc.).

I will never sacrifice my overall health because of fear of dealing with my hair. Matter of fact, I worked out yesterday and deep conditioned, so tonight I'll just cowash after my workout. If I loose a few extra hairs because of all the manipulation, so be it. I have weight loss goals to meet, not just hair goals.

Last edited:

Curlybeauty

Always put your hair in some type of pony, while you're sweating. Or even keep it wrapped. And you shouldn't take it down until you're done sweating or the sweat in your head has dried. I ALWAYS sweat in my scalp first, and this usually enables me to keep my style.

*Happily Me*

I have relaxed hair and I workout at least 3 times a week. I usually workout 5 days...

My health is way more important than how my hair looks. besides, hair is gonna grow. but if continue to eat the way I do without working out, my body will grow too! :lol:

sometimes, you have to make sacrifices... what's more important?

just throw the hair in a ponytail and hope on the treadmill :)

AlliCat

I'm with the ladies who say health over hair. I don't do anything after my workouts, but I guess I should start co-washing because i notice dryness from my (salty) sweat. but OP i guess you could just brush it back in a bun, use a little gel and a scarf, and be on your way

exoticmommie

I work out 4-5x's a week. I usually just do braid outs pinned back, old braid out pony tails, curly ponytails using pillow rollers, or buns. I can't wait to have a long wash and go or straight ponytail. I cowash my hair every other work out. I have noticed that my hair is much drier since working out.

SimJam

it all depends on how u sweat lol

I dont sweat much in my head (scalp) so when I was relaxed I wud waer my hair in a high bun or ponytail with the ends tucked under so they didnt get wet from seat on my neck etc.

if u sweat alot in yuor head, then wrapping would not work for you.

sunnieb

Ok, I'm 13 weeks post today and I still hit the treadmill 5 days a week. I need some inspiration, so I'm bumping this thread! :)

Missdelicious1

I never had a problem with my workouts messing up my hair...even when I wear it straight. I simply keep my hair wrapped during the workout and don't comb it out until it's dry. It's usually dry by the time I get out of the shower and finish getting dressed. When I comb it down it looks great. If I need it to dry quicker, I just take my silk scarf off (after the shower) and put a hair net on so air can circulate throughout my hair and dry it faster. The key is NOT combing your hair out of the wrap/doobie until it's dry. If you do that, you should have no problems with keep your straight style.

Raspberry

@sunnieb I appreciated you saying in another thread that women need to do what it takes to be healthy so I try to have that mindset, our hair needs to be adapted to our fitness schedule, not the other way around. If that means me co-washing and bunning for half the week.. that's the way it's gonna be :yep:. I sweat buckets from my scalp so wrapping or using a scarf doesn't do the job for me.. oh well, guess I gotta wash frequently.

All I'm concerned about is manipulation so I do a quick detangle on 80% dry hair after my leave-ins are applied since wet detangling in the shower doesn't work for me..

Last edited:

lustrous

Off topic! sunnieb - congrats on dropping soda from your daily diet. ( i noticed your siggie) I've had friends who did this and lost poundage in the double digits right from the get go. My professor cut her soda habit last year (and she was a HARDCORE soda gal) . It got worse before it got better but isnt that how it always is? Anywhoo i'm rooting for ya!

- At OP - is it possible that you can put your hair in plaits and exercise early before a shower? Then when you shower just rinse your hair to get the salt. No conditioner. This way, you can squeeze dry your hair and put it into a damp bun for work. HTH

lonei

I work out 3 mornings a week for like 40 mins and have soaked hair on cardio days. I wash my hair every 3 weeks and don't do any co washes or anything in between. I just pincurl in multiple curls, leave my net on and wear a headband (cloth) around the parameter. I don't take my hair out till it is completely dry, as long as I have pin curled it doesn't look like I have been gym. If I don't pin curl, it's a mess and I have to add some NTM silk touch and slick it back in a ponytail keeping my headscarf on till it's dry.

sunnieb

Ok, Thanksgiving is over, I only worked out once last week, so I'm reading this thread to help me with my 8 weeks post hair. I'm back to my regular workout schedule this week!

sunnieb

First pic is right before I hit the treadmill this evening, second pic is right after. You see I really don't care how my hair looks when I workout. :lol:

IMG_20120504_170702-1.jpg

Welp, looks like my before pic got lost.

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

sunnieb

Before pic:

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120504_211548.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120504_211548.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 78
  • ForumRunner_20120504_211636.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120504_211636.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 61