What is the difference between 3c and 4a hair?

BlackMasterPiece

Since I don't know how to post pictures within a thread, I had to attach them.

The first picture was taken while doing a ponytail rollerset; some Lacio Lacio was applied prior to making the ponytails. The second picture is of my typical post-wash ponytail air dry; the "wrigglies" at my nape are clearly visible.

Although my hairline is smoother than the center and nape, it all has some manner of "wrigglies." Can you tell me what type(s) this is?
Are you natural/ relaxed/transitioning? Are you a regular direct heat user? Meaning has heat altered your texture considerably?

Okay, I think I am between 3c and 4a, but now in addition to being even more confused about hair type then before, I am freaked out that everyone's hair seems to spiral and mine is just doing something crazy.

So here are some pictures of my hair completely naked. All I used was a bar of solid shampoo, did not even condition in these pictures.

Sorry if these are too large!

I am pretty sure this is still easily 3c/4a, not sure which one, but I didn't see many of you with the zig zag/ or S pattern, just 2 of you. Are there more? or do you all actually curl?
You're a consistent 3c:yep:.....Theres nothing wrong with having a texture thats different then most....thats part of what makes you unique! :)

I don't really know my hair type at all.. so I have some pics here. It is not down. I am transitioning. So I don't wear it out much. So sorry, but you may not be able to tell at all.
Pics are a tad big:giggle: so that makes it a little hard but you appear to have 3c curlies poppin :)

NikkiGirl

Thanks bmp. I am trying to learn how to take better care of it. I am looking forward to being natural.

PJaye

I think it would be safe to describe my hair as being natural since my last relaxer attempt was more than 20 years ago. :grin:

I also don't frequently straightened my hair; I've done it twice this year in January and in February when I discovered the MaxiGlide.

I have been wearing the same ponytail air dry for the last ten years or so; I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn my hair out/down.

PJaye

Thank you very much for taking the time to clarify things for me; it is greatly appreciated.

PJaye

I have another question...

Is hair type established only by the nature of the curl/wave pattern, or is the texture of the hair a determining factor as well?

Jhuidah

Is anyone up for the thought that there may be a "silky" 4B just like that are "silky" and "dull" 4As, 3Cs, etc.? I realize that strand size, porosity, and density can make two ladies within the same hair type look different. So what are the different looks of 4B? I'm leaning toward the conclusion that all 4B may not look a like AND I'm thinking I'm a "fine-strand and sheeny" 4B. :look: A lot of my hair is frizzy and with no definable curl pattern. The coils that I do possess can vary from pen spring to smaller than pen spring. My hair tangles very badly after WNGs and puffs so I don't do them often anymore.

Sorry for the big pics :blush:.

Your hair looks a lot like mine--twinnish, even. Except, my hair doesn't really wave up when I pull it back, and it's not silky. And for the longest I thought I was a 4a, but then Nonie who has twinnish hair as well calls herself a 4b, so I don't know.

I'm wondering if my hair not waving up is a product thing. When I hennaed last night, I could definitely see the waves under/through the henna.

Anywho, I might need to take new pics of my wet/mostly dry hair. I won't take any dry without product pics this time around. I have a hard time letting it dry without product, because to manipulate it dry is mostly a no no for me.

brg240

Geminigirl your coils look just like my twin's. He asked me what his hair type was before and I was like I don't know my own how am I supposed to help you? XD It's gorgeous by the way.

I have different textures in my hair but I think it's mostly 3c. I wish I was done my transition then I could be sure. :(

Also, thanks flowergirl, bmp and nonie this has been a very helpful thread :yep:

BlackMasterPiece

I have another question...

Is hair type established only by the nature of the curl/wave pattern, or is the texture of the hair a determining factor as well?
Only about curl diameter/wave pattern. Its not gonna give you a completely personalized profile on everything your hair would need but it does steer you in a general direction which can be massively helpful.

When I started really exploring haircare I found out my hair type on naturally curly and that made a huge difference for me....it helped me be able to understand why alot of the methods and styles I see type 3's employ have never and will never work for me. And it helped me be able to identify others with my same tightly coily afro hair. I started looking at the natural products geared toward type 4's and started noticing patterns in the ingredients.....and I was quickly able to find products that agreed with my hair...hair typing if you take it for what it is can really be a great turning point in a healthy hair journey:yep:

PJaye

My mind is filled with lots of questions and I am trying to digest the fact that I may not have Type 4 hair, which has always been my assumption. In my mind, I’ve always envisioned Type 3 hair to resemble that of TaraDyan, with silky waves and ringlets (I apologize for putting you in the spotlight, Madame, but your hair is the perfect example of my perceptions regarding Type 3 hair).

Still, I must bow to your expertise because I haven’t the slightest clue about the various types and textures of hair; I am still trying to decipher my own hair. I do think that your idea of identifying the different products and ingredients that have proffered good results for specific hair types is a very good one; I will definitely explore that avenue further.

At any rate, I thank you again for all of your help; this thread has certainly been enlightening. I really enjoyed seeing the pictures of everyone’s hair, the different textures and styles. How can anyone not appreciate the diversity of Black hair is beyond me.

twinkletoes17

I hate to hijack, but can someone help me too? :blush:

I'm pretty sure I'm 4a. I think. Lol. At least, according to the pics in the first post, that's what it looks like. I know I have 3something in the nape. The texture is looser back there for some reason. Anyway, here are some pictures. Sorry for the blurry ones.

Attachments

• 100_0194.jpg
    100_0194.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 100_0195.jpg
    100_0195.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_0193.jpg
    100_0193.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 117

NikkiGirl

Hair type is really confusing to me also. But I think it is only a small part of the equation. Right now I just enjoy learning more about my hair and trying products and I will continue to use what works, regardless of hair type. This forum has really changed my idea of what my hair should be and I am thankful for that. Before I thought my hair was too puffy and frizzy and I know now that I didn't know how to take care of it at all. So I am trying to learn from the ladies on this forum. And I am enjoying it.

BlackMasterPiece

I hate to hijack, but can someone help me too? :blush:

I'm pretty sure I'm 4a. I think. Lol. At least, according to the pics in the first post, that's what it looks like. I know I have 3something in the nape. The texture is looser back there for some reason. Anyway, here are some pictures. Sorry for the blurry ones.
I *think* you're a 4a...it'd be easier to tell with the cam a little farther away but I'm leaning pretty strongly toward 4a:yep:

Jewell

I don't take the hair typing thing seriously AT ALL. All I know is that some parts of my hair are 3c (i.e. looser texture than type 4), and some areas are lightly type 4, which constitutes type 4a to me. That is all.

CocoGlow

I think the reason why the hair typing system is flawed is due to the lack of differentiating between silky & cottony textures within each group possessing the same curl/coil size/diameter. It leads to so much confusion. This thread and countless other ones just like it is a clear indication that the system is flawed....I want to dismiss the system but I know it has helped me so I don't think we should ignore it...

As for the type 3-type 4 confusion....

All the pics that represent the 3 category in the hair typing system show well defined large-medium curls/coils and silky shiny slick back edges- but do not take into consideration the cottony/frizzy curls of the same size that are not silky and well defined..So anyone w/ a cottony texture who does not see their hair represented in the pics assumes they must be 4B since the basic definition of 4B is hair having no real coil/curl definition/clumping from root to tip, etc. I've seen countless individuals who claim to have 4B hair in videos/pics due to the fact their hair does not naturally clump when wet, however the diameter of their curl was definitely larger than the tight small coils of those w/ 4B hair

Just b/c the hair can easily take on the “afro” appearance does not mean it is in fact 4B. :look:

As a true 4B (according to the same flawed typing system) I can usually tell when someone claims 4B but is actually misled and really a 3B/3C/4A, etc. Every single time I come across one I totally understand why…they typically have more of a cottony frizzy texture than a silky defined texture. However I see them in videos parting, combing, brushing & washing their hair in a way they would not be able to do if their coils were actually tight & small like mine. :nono:

All that said I really don’t know HOW or IF the typing system should be changed or if we should come up w/ new categories to include both silky & cottony…I don’t even know if that would really benefit anybody but it might- just MIGHT help with all the confusion. :spinning:

Some people may think the typing system doesn't matter but I will say that it wasn't until I found those w/ a similar texture that I was able to figure out how to handle my hair properly from the way I wash to the way I style, etc. When I tried to follow the regimens of those w/ a looser coil/curl pattern, my hair suffered tremendously (case in point: doing wash n go's - big no no for my hair and most 4B's I know, but a LOT of those in the 3 category thrive from them). Therefore, it is really important to find others with your hair type, especially when you are new. :yep: I can't say I found these individuals b/c of the typing system though .. honestly I just looked at pics/videos and found my hair twins/cousins that way LOL!

In terms of products- the advice I have received from those in the 3 & 4 category have been helpful--honestly I think product preference has more to do w/ personal hair porosity, protein/moisture needs, personal lifestyle, etc and less to do with hair type...

BTW I too am interested to see if there is a such thing as a SILKY 4B – I’ve never come across one and I don’t see how it could be possible w/ such tight-small coils, but hey, who knows?

BlackMasterPiece kudos for providing answers for those who question their hair type :yep:

Last edited:

Nonie

Don't you guys ever see 4Bs or 4A's that go in an s or z pattern? I dont think i would be the only one here with this kind of curl. I have seen it before on one of my good friends who used to be natural. Her hair made tiny zig zags, but not always necessarily a curl.

You mean like this?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
All that said I really don’t know HOW or IF the typing system should be changed or if we should come up w/ new categories to include both silky & cottony…I don’t even know if that would really benefit anybody but it might- just MIGHT help with all the confusion. :spinning:
Have you check out the LOIS system?

Find Your Pattern:

L - If the hair has all bends, right angles and folds with little to no curve then you are daughter L.

O - If the strand is rolled up into the shape of one or several zeros like a spiral, then you are daughter O.

I - If the hair lies mostly flat with no distinctive curve or bend you are daughter I.

S - If the strand looks like a wavy line with hills and valleys then you are daughter S.

You may have a combination of the LOIS letters, possibly with one dominant. If you cannot see one letter over the others, then combine the letters. Example: LO or IL or OS..

Find Your Strand size:
A strand of frayed thread is about the thickness of a medium sized strand of human hair. If your strand is larger than this, then your hair is thick. If your strand is smaller than this, hair is thin, or fine..

Find Your Texture:
Shine is a sharp reflection of light while Sheen is a dull reflection of light.

Thready - Hair as a low sheen, with high shine if the hair is held taut (as in a braid), with low frizz. Wets easily but water dries out quickly.

Wiry - Hair has a sparkly sheen, with low shine and low frizz. Water beads up or bounces off the hair strands. Hair never seems to get fully wet.

Cottony - Hair has a low sheen, a high shine if the hair is held taunt and has high frizz. Absorbs water quickly but does not get thoroughly wet very fast.

Spongy - Hair has a high sheen with low shine with a compacted looking frizz. Absorbs water before it gets thoroughly wet.

Silky - Hair has low sheen, a very high shine, with a lot or low frizz. Easily wets in water.

Tene

I think the reason why the hair typing system is flawed is due to the lack of differentiating between silky & cottony textures within each group possessing the same curl/coil size/diameter. It leads to so much confusion. This thread and countless other ones just like it is a clear indication that the system is flawed....I want to dismiss the system but I know it has helped me so I don't think we should ignore it...

As for the type 3-type 4 confusion....

All the pics that represent the 3 category in the hair typing system show well defined large-medium curls/coils and silky shiny slick back edges- but do not take into consideration the cottony/frizzy curls of the same size that are not silky and well defined..So anyone w/ a cottony texture who does not see their hair represented in the pics assumes they must be 4B since the basic definition of 4B is hair having no real coil/curl definition/clumping from root to tip, etc. I've seen countless individuals who claim to have 4B hair in videos/pics due to the fact their hair does not naturally clump when wet, however the diameter of their curl was definitely larger than the tight small coils of those w/ 4B hair

Just b/c the hair can easily take on the “afro” appearance does not mean it is in fact 4B. :look:

As a true 4B (according to the same flawed typing system) I can usually tell when someone claims 4B but is actually misled and really a 3B/3C/4A, etc. Every single time I come across one I totally understand why…they typically have more of a cottony frizzy texture than a silky defined texture. However I see them in videos parting, combing, brushing & washing their hair in a way they would not be able to do if their coils were actually tight & small like mine. :nono:

Some people may think the typing system doesn't matter but I will say that it wasn't until I found those w/ a similar texture that I was able to figure out how to handle my hair properly from the way I wash to the way I style, etc. When I tried to follow the regimens of those w/ a looser coil/curl pattern, my hair suffered tremendously (case in point: doing wash n go's - big no no for my hair and most 4B's I know, but a LOT of those in the 3 category thrive from them). Therefore, it is really important to find others with your hair type, especially when you are new. :yep: I can't say I found these individuals b/c of the typing system though .. honestly I just looked at pics/videos and found my hair twins/cousins that way LOL!

In terms of products- the advice I have received from those in the 3 & 4 category have been helpful--honestly I think product preference has more to do w/ personal hair porosity, protein/moisture needs, personal lifestyle, etc and less to do with hair type...

BTW I too am interested to see if there is a such thing as a SILKY 4B – I’ve never come across one and I don’t see how it could be possible w/ such tight-small coils, but hey, who knows?

BlackMasterPiece kudos for providing answers for those who question their hair type :yep:

I agree with this

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Maybe I'm a 4ab, then. I thought I was 3C because I have small corkscrew like curls. Fine with me. Now I am going to try to learn more about 4A/b texture.:yep:

UrbainChic

You mean like this?

YES!!!!! EXACTLY!!!!

I usually have to mess with my hair and coax it into some sort of spiral ( and i dont often have the time or energy to do so), otherwise most days my hair is doing the ramen noodle thing instead of fusilli thing.

Many people have curls that flatten out with product, so I guess all this time I thought there were a lot of people's curls that don't actually curl-- looks like its more unique than i thought!

A very good friend of mine has that kind of ramen noodle curl too. :)

Nonie

YES!!!!! EXACTLY!!!!

I usually have to mess with my hair and coax it into some sort of spiral ( and i dont often have the time or energy to do so), otherwise most days my hair is doing the ramen noodle thing instead of fusilli thing.

Many people have curls that flatten out with product, so I guess all this time I thought there were a lot of people's curls that don't actually curl-- looks like its more unique than i thought!

A very good friend of mine has that kind of ramen noodle curl too. :)

That's usually how you will see 4B hair because no one with 4B who doesn't like a lot of work or dealing with tangles will leave his/her hair in an unmanipulated state. That is how my hair looks when it comes out of braids. In other words, that's how 4B hair looks when it's been manipulated.

When I applied Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner to that section while dry, it started to coil back into the minute coils that make up the texture of 4B hair. These pics show this effect:

After I rinsed out the conditioner, I got this:

All I did in these pics was finger comb, ie, separate the strands from each other so I'd not have knotting. I do so by first stretching the strands and then pulling them apart.

But even when my hair is well moisturized from deep conditioning not from leave-in products (internal moisture) and I use a comb as in the case where I used a fine-tooth seamless comb, I still ended up with contracted coils packed tightly together:

As for curls flattening out, it's coz people use products like Shea butter or pomades that sort of freeze hair in the style in which it was worn. If you apply Shea butter and then braid the hair, it will be "frozen" in that ramen noodle shape. That's one characteristic of 4B hair: it tends to maintain the style you wear it in--especially if you wore it dry (or wet and let it dry in that style) and kept it in that style for a while. I don't use products when I braid my hair but even then 4B hair will tend to keep that stretched appearance until you wet it.

Last edited:

CocoGlow

Have you check out the LOIS system?

Find Your Pattern:

L - If the hair has all bends, right angles and folds with little to no curve then you are daughter L.

O - If the strand is rolled up into the shape of one or several zeros like a spiral, then you are daughter O.

I - If the hair lies mostly flat with no distinctive curve or bend you are daughter I.

S - If the strand looks like a wavy line with hills and valleys then you are daughter S.

You may have a combination of the LOIS letters, possibly with one dominant. If you cannot see one letter over the others, then combine the letters. Example: LO or IL or OS..

Find Your Strand size:
A strand of frayed thread is about the thickness of a medium sized strand of human hair. If your strand is larger than this, then your hair is thick. If your strand is smaller than this, hair is thin, or fine..

Find Your Texture:
Shine is a sharp reflection of light while Sheen is a dull reflection of light.

Thready - Hair as a low sheen, with high shine if the hair is held taut (as in a braid), with low frizz. Wets easily but water dries out quickly.

Wiry - Hair has a sparkly sheen, with low shine and low frizz. Water beads up or bounces off the hair strands. Hair never seems to get fully wet.

Cottony - Hair has a low sheen, a high shine if the hair is held taunt and has high frizz. Absorbs water quickly but does not get thoroughly wet very fast.

Spongy - Hair has a high sheen with low shine with a compacted looking frizz. Absorbs water before it gets thoroughly wet.

Silky - Hair has low sheen, a very high shine, with a lot or low frizz. Easily wets in water.

Thanks Nymphe...this sounds like a great hair typing system...I've seen it before but since I am more of a visual person when it comes to things like this I would love it if they provided pictures as examples ... honestly I am a little confused as to how I would categorize my hair w/ this system LOL!!

Based on this, would a 4B according to the old system be considered an OS/Fine/Spongy with this system? That's a strong guess :spinning:

I knew I was a 4B immediately based on the pics and the description in the 1-4abc typing system but I know it's not that easy for everyone...I think this LOIS system is much more detailed about the aspects of the hair that might really matter (especially the texture part)... I dunno....I think the things that are missing from LOIS is: determining the size/diameter of the curl/coil/wave, the density level of hairs on the head & photo representation!!-a combination of all these aspects with the things above would probably make perfect hair typing system :yep:

CocoGlow

You mean like this?

Thanks Nonie for these pics!

If your hair looks like this ^ when wet or after drying (without any manipulation) then I would consider this person a 3a/b/c with a Cottony texture or use another hair typing system like the LOIS. The frizz here is what causes the confusion but notice the large-medium size of the curl/coil/zigzag/wave however you choose to describe it (of course, we know that Nonie stretched out her tight 4B coils w/ braids to get the look in this pic- but this is representative of the UNmanipulated/UNstretched size/diameter of one w/ a looser curl pattern and a cottony/frizzy texture)

As we can see from Nonie's later post, when her hair is wet or allowed to dry (without any manipulation) the tiny coils are very compact and look nothing like the pics above .... So basically if you don't have to manipulate your hair or stretch it somehow to get the look above then you are most likely not in the 4 category of this flawed hair typing system :spinning:....

BlackMasterPiece

I think hair typing is very straightforward and helpful so long as you take it for what it is. General hair typing is only about curl diameter...which actually simplifies things and makes it easier to categorize.

It won't give you an immediate personalized description of every idiosyncrasy that makes up your specific head of hair. You have to ascertain that on your own.....but it will steer you in a general direction which will more then likely lead to you identifying the ingredients/techniques that agree best with your hair....and thats where it is most useful.

beautyaddict1913

Thanks Nonie for these pics!

If your hair looks like this ^ when wet or after drying (without any manipulation) then I would consider this person a 3a/b/c with a Cottony texture or use another hair typing system like the LOIS. The frizz here is what causes the confusion but notice the large-medium size of the curl/coil/zigzag/wave however you choose to describe it (of course, we know that Nonie stretched out her tight 4B coils w/ braids to get the look in this pic- but this is representative of the UNmanipulated/UNstretched size/diameter of one w/ a looser curl pattern and a cottony/frizzy texture)

As we can see from Nonie's later post, when her hair is wet or allowed to dry (without any manipulation) the tiny coils are very compact and look nothing like the pics above .... So basically if you don't have to manipulate your hair or stretch it somehow to get the look above then you are most likely not in the 4 category of this flawed hair typing system :spinning:....

My hair looks like this when wet and dry but I consider myself a 4b because I have zigzags instead of big loose curls (type 3) or tight coils (type 4a)...thats how I learned the difference...4b normally has the z pattern and the others are more spiral or s shaped...I can normally distinguisgh 3c curls from 4a by looking at how fine the hair is around the hairline...but thats general...my hair is a fine 4b...people are shocked at how soft and tangle free it is compare to how it looks lol...and my hair requires so much moisture and thats def a 4b characteristic!

UrbainChic

I think for the case of my ramen noodles... I will go with the LOIS system.

In which case I am LS/ medium-fine/ mostly cottony, some silky

Really, I am very curious, does anyone else here look like ramen without manipulation?

Last edited:

ChristmasCarol

Yes, I have "ramen" hair, too.

Wavy-afro hair is what I was referring to in an earlier post. This is what my hair looks like and why I couldn't figure out if it was type 3-something or 4a/4b. It doesn't have the characteristics of 4b, like massive shrinkage. But it also doesn't curl into the larger curls that are characteristic of 4a or 3c. It is always very easy to comb out, but it doesn't lay down and look silky like what is normally shown as 3a/b hair. It's fairly flat when it's wet and then it grows and grows into a semi-fro. You can almost see it rising as it dries. After it's dry, it looks like a giant wedge, lol.

BMP, would you say this is kinky 3 or wavy 4?

I'll try to find a pic to post. TIA

Last edited: