Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2010, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Default Ok, I’m confused. What causes raised cuticles or the appearance of raised cuticles?

Last night, I washed and conditioned my hair with Trader’s Joe Moisture Balance Shampoo mixed w/baking soda to clarify the hair, and then washed with my henna soap, that I use regularly and love, followed by Aphogee 2-minute reconstructor and then deep conditioned for 45 minutes with Walgreens form of Pantene Moisture Renewal (1st time using; it was on sale buy one get one free); my final rinse was with Roux Porosity Control under cold water. I must say, after rinsing out the deep conditioner, my hair felt really good, soft, and moisturized. I then moisturized with Carefree Gold Activator Moisturizer, Proclaim Glossing Polish with Olive Oil, and sealed w/coconut oil and put my silk scarf on to lay down my edges and put a satin cap on top of that.

When I went to bed, I put a plastic baggie over my satin cap to get that added Jeri Juice extra moisture. Well this morning, my hair was damp and still felt really moisturized; however, it is about 9:30AM and my hair feels very dry and looks like my cuticles are raised. I CANNOT wait to get home to moisturize my hair.

I didn’t comb through my entire head but instead combed out the ends of my hair to ensure there would be no tangles or mats during the next wash. The ends of my hair are now in a protective pony and baggied; however, it’s the top that is exposed to air that feels so crisp and dry.

What could have happened? It is my first time using Carefree Gold Curl Activator. Could it be this product? My hair doesn’t like a lot of protein. Is the Carefree Gold more of a protein-based product or a moisture-based product?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:19 AM

Thanked 28,443 Times in 4,298 Posts
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 32 Thread(s)
Default Re: Ok, I’m confused. What causes raised cuticles or the appearance of raised cuticl

It seems like over manipulation and too much shampooing sessions led your hair's cuticles to be raised. You said you clarified by mixing two types of shampoos, then shampooed with henna. You only need to shampoo once to clean the hair. I've learned while on my HHJ that less is more!

Natural as of 7/18/10! Weight loss goal achieved
Old 03-24-2010, 11:37 AM

Thanked 2,058 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 55 Thread(s)
Default Re: Ok, I’m confused. What causes raised cuticles or the appearance of raised cuticl

agreeing w/ lovenharmony and also check to see if carefree gold has protein in it b/c it could get the hair hard
Old 03-24-2010, 11:38 AM

Thanked 2,134 Times in 516 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 45 Thread(s)

Raised cuticles usually occur because the pH of your hair is too high (basic). Hair prefers to be around 4.5 - 5.5 pH (mildly acidic), and using the baking soda along with the multiple shampoos might have thrown your pH out of whack. I assume that the Roux is somewhat acidic, since it most likely works to improve the porosity of your hair by closing the cuticles, but maybe you need a wee bit more acid.

If it still feels crazy after you re-moisturize, I'd suggest an ACV rinse after your next DC.

Good luck, and I hope you can figure it out!

Last edited by JustKiya; 03-24-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Flipping pH's. *lol*
Old 03-24-2010, 11:40 AM

Thanked 2,423 Times in 461 Posts
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

It could be that the glycerin in the Carefree leached out the moisture. Glycerin is such an efficient humectant that if the air doesn't have enough water to drawn on, it will turn to an easier source and that is your hair. I learned that from Irresistible.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 AM

Thanked 12,770 Times in 1,933 Posts
Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 18 Thread(s)

This vid explains raised cuticles really well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i3MC4d-HmY

Someone just started a thread on it. It's a good watch.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:54 PM
#Product Playa'

Thanked 109,074 Times in 36,655 Posts
Mentioned: 14312 Post(s)
Tagged: 88 Thread(s)

Bumping For HaleeJ and Others............Good Thread and Shy Intellect posted a good Youtube Video!