Just how important do you think it is to use seamless combs?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I've never been concerned with them, just used any kind of wide tooth comb. I'm trying to conquer my battle with splits and it dawned on me that maybe I should get a seamless comb just in case my combs could be causing some splits.

My hair is naturally split prone and nothing I do will completely stop them but whatever I can do to decrease them is great.

So what's the verdict on seamless combs? Where can I find a decent priced one?

Oh and brushes too!!! What's the best kind of brush to use? I just use a regular cheap plastic bristle brush (i know, bad). I have a boar bristle one but it's not firm enough for me.

I guess I just never really got into the essentials of combs and bushes....I have no idea why.

kblc06

I use a denman brush or a Goody detangling brush. As for combs, I didn't notice a huge reduction in splits using a seamed comb vs. a seamless one. What did make a difference was combing my hair less in general and only doing so under streaming water. I use a Jilbere show comb, Goody Detangling comb, and a Hard Rubber Comare comb (from Sally's). You could also try using K-cutter combs-I plan to get one eventually and they're also seamless I believe

Last edited:

MissYocairis

I've used seamless combs for a long time and then stopped and gone back to cheaper combs. There is a marked difference in breakage and shedding when I detangle and comb with seamless combs versus when I am using a store-bought comb. I just kept losing mine and finally got tired of replacing them and went the cheap route.

Well, recently, I went back. Now, I am six and a half months post and I detangled with a brand new seamless comb that I got a little over a week ago. The DIFFERENCE in the amount of hair I had in the comb when I was done detangling versus what I am used to having and what I had at previous washes was striking. It was as if my cheap, conair combs were snagging my cuticle and weakening my strands...and the bone combs (bakelite from hairsense) were not agitating them at all.

After seeing the difference as SOON as I got back up on my comb game, especially during this time when my hair is so challenging with the two textures, it was pretty clear that seamless combs make a huge difference.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I use a denman brush or a Goody detangling brush. As for combs, I didn't notice a huge reduction in splits using a seamed comb vs. a seamless one. What did make a difference was combing my hair less in general and only doing so under streaming water. I use a Jilbere show comb, Goody Detangling comb, and a Hard Rubber Comare comb (from Sally's). You could also try using K-cutter combs-I plan to get one eventually and they're also seamless I believe
Thanks. I'm really trying to use just my fingers to detangle (my rollerset hair) more and more. It's going ok but i'd rather use a comb:ohwell:. I'm sick of loosing length due to splits so I'm trying everything I can to reduce them.

Do you mean the metal K-cutter? I have a plastic one and I love it but it has seams.

~VicTorIAn~

It helped me reduce my broken hair but I also have fine strands and that's the hair type I think theyre most helpful for.
I'm not sure about splits though. I think my spits were due to frequent manipulation. The hair that was exposed from using a half-wig always had some splits but the rest of my hair didnt.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I've used seamless combs for a long time and then stopped and gone back to cheaper combs. There is a marked difference in breakage and shedding when I detangle and comb with seamless combs versus when I am using a store-bought comb. I just kept losing mine and finally got tired of replacing them and went the cheap route.

Well, recently, I went back. Now, I am six and a half months post and I detangled with a brand new seamless comb that I got a little over a week ago. The DIFFERENCE in the amount of hair I had in the comb when I was done detangling versus what I am used to having and what I had at previous washes was striking. It was as if my cheap, conair combs were snagging my cuticle and weakening my strands...and the bone combs (bakelite from hairsense) were not agitating them at all.

After seeing the difference as SOON as I got back up on my comb game, especially during this time when my hair is so challenging with the two textures, it was pretty clear that seamless combs make a huge difference.
This is what I'm scared may be happening to my strands.

kblc06

Yes, the metal one. I don't know why, but finger combing never really works for me despite my nails being in tip-top shape. I just seem to get more tangles which leads to more splits when I have to really detangle. But trust I know how you feel. Even when I COMPLETELY leave my hair alone and just keep it moisturized, I STILL manage to get splits. And I do veeeerrrrrrrryyyyy intensive search and destroys. I'm really beginning to think that is just the nature of fine hair, but I'm not reading to give up the fight just yet. I've been hiding my hair under wigs since January after a good S&D and trim and so far, so good. I've only seen about 5 or 6 since then.
Thanks. I'm really trying to use just my fingers to detangle (my rollerset hair) more and more. It's going ok but i'd rather use a comb:ohwell:. I'm sick of loosing length due to splits so I'm trying everything I can to reduce them.

Do you mean the metal K-cutter? I have a plastic one and I love it but it has seams.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Yes, the metal one. I don't know why, but finger combing never really works for me despite my nails being in tip-top shape. I just seem to get more tangles which leads to more splits when I have to really detangle. But trust I know how you feel. Even when I COMPLETELY leave my hair alone and just keep it moisturized, I STILL manage to get splits. And I do veeeerrrrrrrryyyyy intensive search and destroys. I'm really beginning to think that is just the nature of fine hair, but I'm not reading to give up the fight just yet. I've been hiding my hair under wigs since January after a good S&D and trim and so far, so good. I've only seen about 5 or 6 since then.

Yea i think it is the nature of fine hair....at least for mine it is. I get them even if I don't use direct heat for many months. I was so depressed to find I had another head full of them just a few weeks after I had done an intense week long S&D:wallbash:. Now I'm in the process of doing another (using Traycee's method).....I'm trimming good hairs and all.

I've accepted the fact that my hair will always split no matter what but I would like to reduce them as much as possible.

JustKiya

I will never put a regular comb in my head again...seamless is that real.

:yep: 100% cosign.

I used to get mjor midstrand splits when I used seamed combs, and I always had breakage. I've been using seamless for a couple of years now, and I have VERY few splits, no midstrand splits, and a significantly lower amount of breakage.

You couldn't pay me to start using seamed combs again!!! :lol:

:look:

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
The best comb I have brought was a comb I was against buying for the price was the Ouidad Double Detangle comb. I love that comb and will solely be using that comb for detangling for now on. It's better on wet hair than dry hair IMO

Last edited:

brucebettye

I don't use seamless combs because I really don't comb my hair often. I use a denman brush to detangle. I also don't get spilt ends often(my hair strands are thick). But coming into this I may buy me some seamless combs just to see the difference. I should not have came up in this thread.

Charz

Sinister Minister
Thank you!!! I need another seamless rake - my hair has taken out some anger on the rake I have now. :look: :lol:

Girl I have dropped this in the shower like 100 times. I jump back everytime thinking it is gonna break, it's so loud from the impact. It's really sturdy and strong because it is made outta Ebonite which is similar in composition to ivory or animal horn.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
It's very important. In the long run it will aid in preventing split ends and mid-shaft splits.

I love my Jumbo Magic Rake From Hercules Sagemann:

http://www.hotcombs.net/products/Magic-Star-Jumbo-Rake.html

Fast shipping and cheap (only 3 bucks)

I did a review here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_gtQ0W8bCc
Great review....you have me sold. Thanks so much for the link. Gonna check it out now.

Oh and that Jilbere shower comb is junk. Those tips tore my hair out! I literally saw pieces of hair caught under the tip:blush:. To this day I don't wanna think about the damage that thing caused my hair. I had been using it for years not knowing. I did a post in my blog about it too. I was mortified.

darlingdiva

:yep: 100% cosign.

I used to get mjor midstrand splits when I used seamed combs, and I always had breakage. I've been using seamless for a couple of years now, and I have VERY few splits, no midstrand splits, and a significantly lower amount of breakage.

You couldn't pay me to start using seamed combs again!!! :lol:

:look:

This is one reason that I'll never use combs with seams again, too. I used to get those triple mid-strand splits & I know it was from the seams because I'd see a piece of the seam hanging from the end of the comb's teeth.

I've seen a lot less hair in the comb ever since I've started using the Hercules Sageman combs.

In terms of decently-priced seamless combs, I guess you could see what's at Sally's. I use the Hercules Sageman combs, but I don't know if $17 and change (the price of the Magic Star Jumbo Rake Comb) is a "decent" price.

JustKiya

This is one reason that I'll never use combs with seams again, too. I used to get those triple mid-strand splits & I know it was from the seams because I'd see a piece of the seam hanging from the end of the comb's teeth.

I've seen a lot less hair in the comb ever since I've started using the Hercules Sageman combs.

In terms of decently-priced seamless combs, I guess you could see what's at Sally's. I use the Hercules Sageman combs, but I don't know if $17 and change (the price of the Magic Star Jumbo Rake Comb) is a "decent" price.

:look: Compared to what I paid for mine, it definitely is. I've never seen a seamless comb at Sally's - even the shower combs have seams. :yep:

RoseGolden

What about these from Sallys? The description doesn't say much but they're called Bone Combs. Are they supposed to be seamless?

http://www.sallybeauty.com/10-piece-Bone-Comb-Kit/SBS-152644,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair10

darlingdiva

:look: Compared to what I paid for mine, it definitely is. I've never seen a seamless comb at Sally's - even the shower combs have seams. :yep:

I got my Hercules Sageman combs from www.hotcombs.net. I have never seen seamless combs at Sally's, but I was throwing it out there as a "maybe" because I've heard people talk about bone combs at Sallys.

**The $17 and change includes shipping, too.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Just Purchased a Seamless comb Thanks Charz!!
Which one did you get? I'm thinking I will need a wide tooth for detangling, medium for styling and a tail comb for roller sets.

BTW....I was admiring your ponytail the other day, it's so thick and long! Very pretty hair!

KinkyGenius

Just purchased two combs as well, thank you Charzboss for the link.

One wide tooth one for detangling and general styling and a rattail one with slightly larger teeth than the one I have now for rollersets.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Charz.....I see you got a shout-out on the hotcombs website:grin:.

ETA....i wonder if the Magic Mini would be just as good as the regular comb? (yes I'm being cheap lol) It says it's 6.5 inches.

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
So ALL of the combs on the hotcombs site are not seamless? I notice that this tail comb dosen't say it's seamless and it has this in small print at the bottom... *Although there may be seams present due to the molding process, the key factor is that the seams are "even" and smooth. Uneven seams on the teeth are the culprits that will snag and tear the hair. Rest assured, our SilkLine combs are manufactured at the highest level and quality control measures for a plastic comb.

http://www.hotcombs.net/products/SL7-Tail-Comb.html

I just want to make sure I'm getting the right thing before I order.

MissYocairis

Great review....you have me sold. Thanks so much for the link. Gonna check it out now.

Oh and that Jilbere shower comb is junk. Those tips tore my hair out! I literally saw pieces of hair caught under the tip:blush:. To this day I don't wanna think about the damage that thing caused my hair. I had been using it for years not knowing. I did a post in my blog about it too. I was mortified.

Agreed! Once I got one of those, I thought I may have purchased a faulty one or something because my comb was not matching up to all the hype.

If it ain't SEAMLESS, it ain't necessarily safe, IMO. I don't care about what the hype is. I've learned my lesson the hard way.