I'm sick of my hair right now, Half Wig Questions For All Who Can Help!!

I recently discovered that the majority of the front and some under sections of my hair will not form their curls anymore. I've flat ironed excessively over the past 2 years or so and just ironed them away I guess :nono:. I just tried a braid out and although most of it looks okay, the ends just lose their curl too fast and my hair just looks crappy unless its ironed which I'm averted to right now.

I have a few questions regarding half wigs...... Most importantly, is this something that if the wind blows I'm going to be grabbing my head to make sure it isnt showing:look: ? lol Also, is it necessary to corn row under it? I have no idea how to braid except simple single braids.. Can I still wear a part in my hair with it or does my hair need to be slicked back ( I absolutely never wear my hair slicked back) because thats generally what I feel like I've seen... I just want to know if this might be an option for me when I'm having days like these.....

supermodelsonya

1. You can use bobby pins to help secure your wig but the clips are pretty sufficient.

2. It is not necessary to cornrow underneath. I've done a simple low ponytail with many of my half wigs.

3. You can wear a part as well as a bang. Try some Youtube videos to get a visual of the different ways you can wear a half wig. Ateeya has some great vids.

sheba1

I'm so sorry about the loss of your curls over time. :bighug:

You could try adding rods to the bottom of your braid out when you set it. Then you'll have waves that flow into ringlets. Or you could try Curly Nikki's twist n curl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESRssptI7Ik

For a half wig college education, check out Ms. April (muffinismylovers) on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkHELED_2dU

As for cornrows, you really don't have to do those. I like to do pixie braids (box braids with no added hair). This allows me to very easily cowash daily and cut way down on manipulation. Also I can treat my hair as if it is loose (moisturizing, sealing ends, etc) but it's easier to get to my scalp if I want to apply growth aides or whatnot. It also forces a commitment to protective styling until I take my braids down.

Last edited:

sheba1

Do the wigs all have drawstrings in them and if so can the drawstring be removed or is that how its adjusted??

No, most don't. Most have the adjustable straps with hooks. Take a gander at a few of April's tutorials and then a trip to the beauty supply and play with some wigs. You'll see... it's super easy to adjust.