WHAT IS YOUR ROUTINE BEFORE GETTING A PERM?

Sweetcheri

HI All,

I would still consider myself a newbie although I have been lurking for at least 3 months. The tips I have gotten from you lovely ladies is PRICELESS. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I swear by it. My hair is in the best state EVER. It has grown like never before...don't worry I will soon post pics to show it off. I started in May with top of the shoulder length hair and now my hair is creeping towards armpit length...hopefully I will be there by my next touch up which is scheduled in two weeks...SOOOO that brings me to my posted question?? What do you ladies do before a touch up. I am considering using Emergence for the first time, a week before my perm and then using GPB a week after. Is this a good plan? Is this too much protein? I am a little SCURRED of hardcore protein and this will be the FIRST time using emergence. Currently I mostly use GBP and KERAPHIX for my protein fix. Any suggestions??? I think the protein will keep my colored hair strong ...BUT I do not want to OVER DO IT...any advice will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

candibaby

What you said sounds fine to me.
I use Emergencee the week before, and then I'll either use Emergencee again or Keraphix the week after.

SandySea

I don't have a special pre-perm routine. However, my hair is usually really moisturized in order to control the new growth. I guess this can be considered a type of pre-treatment.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I was wondering... what else can u put on your scalp besides vaseline before getting a relaxer touch-up? with all the new growth, its hard to part my hair and then apply vaseline on my scalp. Last time, my scalped burned because not enough vaseline protected my scalp. Would pouring oils on my scalp work or will that cause the relaxer to penetrate my scalp??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
I was wondering... what else can u put on your scalp besides vaseline before getting a relaxer touch-up? with all the new growth, its hard to part my hair and then apply vaseline on my scalp. Last time, my scalped burned because not enough vaseline protected my scalp. Would pouring oils on my scalp work or will that cause the relaxer to penetrate my scalp??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone? /images/graemlins/look.gif

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
candibaby said:
What you said sounds fine to me.
I use Emergencee the week before, and then I'll either use Emergencee again or Keraphix the week after.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/up.gif even though i just started using emergencee, it's a staple for me! i'd recommend it to a bald man /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

EXSQUISIT

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I read somewhere on another thread that castor oil was a good base. I've never personally tried it, but I plan to.

Anyone? /images/graemlins/look.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

EXSQUISIT

I don't know how I did that quote in a quote thing poohbear, but I was saying that I read castor oil was a good scalp base.

sengschick

The Bun Master
For my last touch-up I used Emergencee the week before or maybe even the wash before. After I rinsed the relaxer I used a reconstructor that came w/my kit. Then I poo'd w/Nexxus Botanoil Oil Poo, then sat w/Keraphix, Humectress and Botanic Oil under heat for 20 mins. A full week later I conditioned w/GPB (there was a moisturizing conditioner in between) and I was very pleased w/the results. /images/graemlins/smile.gif All are gentle enough to be used in succession. /images/graemlins/up.gif

Britt

Use a strong protein one wk beforehand.
The night before generously apply castor oil to your scalp. This never fails. It may also be a good idea to spray your new growth so that it kinks up and is easily distinguished from your relaxed hair.

Sweetcheri

Thanks ALL of you for the wonderful advice /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

To follow up on what Den posted...If I used emergence the week before..lets say Sunday and condition washed lets say on Wednesday and permed that following Sunday..would the emrgences benefits still be there? I mean would you condition wash in between the protein treatment and the perm? Or would this be counterproductive? Thanks again...got to love the lovely ladies of LHCF! /images/graemlins/weird.gif /images/graemlins/weird.gif /images/graemlins/weird.gif

ThursdayGirl

I like using Dudley's AD&E oil. I base my scalp with it the night before a touch up. And I haven't burned in about a year.

sengschick

The Bun Master
Well protein fills in the spaces and the relaxer breaks some of them down to relax the curl. I don't know how temporary the effect is, but it couldn't be that brief. I think a wash in between would be fine. And some proteins leave your hair feeling dry (Emergencee is not one) so a moisturizing poo may actually be needed/recommended.

VelvetRain

I do a protein treament with emergencee a few days before. After I don't do protein but deep condition for two weeks straight.