Naturals (especially type 4)!!!! The Secret For Perm Straight Hair In ONE PASS....

westNDNbeauty

UPDATE:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffjZQQIGelg<--- Visual added.:grin:

MOISTURE!!!

I'm not talking about putting product on the hair after its washed and conditioned, but moisture that you get from deep conditioning. Below you will find 3 pics.

Pic 1 - My nautral 4a hair with no product fresh from a wash and condition.

Pic 2 - My natural hair in Dec 2008 (a year after I started flat ironing) without knowlege of the need for moisture from deep treatments, but only using a heat protecting serum (Mizani Thermasmooth). I did deep condition with Aphogee 2 step and Kera Care Humecto.

Pic 3 - My natural hair in Dec 2009 after learning about moisture. The only product used after I conditioned and during my blow dry is Nioxin Thermal Bliss (purchased at ULTA), which is applied to my hair when wet. That's it. No serums. No nothing. Actually it is now a week later and I haven't put ANYTHING in my hair since the Nioxin Thermal Bliss and my hair doesn't look dry, nor does it it look like it needs anything for that matter. It did only take 1 pass of the flat iron (FHI Runway) on 400 degrees using the comb chase method. This is the second time I have flat ironed using increased moisture where my hair came out super straight, and my hair did revert on wash day.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Check out these threads where I talk about what conditioners/methods work for me.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=428268

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=9606456&highlight=mix#post9606456

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NegFfvnthBg Note: If you use all the products specified in Patchouli85's tutorial, I must stress to you it is IMPORTANT to wash your hair really well before blow drying, she definitely right about that. :yep:(I think it has something to do with the coconut oil, because I had to wash 3 times :wallbash: after finding build-up while blow drying)

Hope this helps any of you naturals that say you can't get your hair straight or get it to stay straight.:grin:

Last edited:

cocoaluv

Re: Naturals (especially type 4)!!!! The Secret For Perm Straight Hair In ONE PASS...

Where can i get Nioxin Thermal Bliss????

I am newly natural and do not plan on straightening my hair at all until my 1 year anniversary. But I have a FHI runway ( i believe) and would love to try this method someday.

ceebee3

Re: Naturals (especially type 4)!!!! The Secret For Perm Straight Hair In ONE PASS...

Very pretty! Don't sleep on the moisture!

sharifeh

Oh wow!!! those pics are gorgeous!!:love:

I love your hair!!!!!

PinkyD

Oh this is so helpful!

westNDNbeauty

Where can i get Nioxin Thermal Bliss????

I am newly natural and do not plan on straightening my hair at all until my 1 year anniversary. But I have a FHI runway ( i believe) and would love to try this method someday.

I purchased from Ulta for about $13 for an 8oz. I wish they sold larger bottles.

FlyyGyrl

Thanks for sharing! What did you use for your DC? Did your flat ironing technique change at all between the last two photos?

pookaloo83

What a difference in the flat iron pics!

paulina_grop

I am not sure this is a secret. That is what they do to me at the Dominican salons. Wash and deep condition put on a serum then flat iron. They never add a moisturizer.

Your hair looks nice, glad you found something that works.

westNDNbeauty

Thanks for sharing! What did you use for your DC? Did your flat ironing technique change at all between the last two photos?

Below the last pic you can find the links to the types of conditioners I use. Even a side by side review of an expensive conditioner verses a cheapie conditioner.

No my flat ironing technique really did not change. But I must say the Dec 2008 flat iron job required like 4-5 passes and a silk wrap (saran wraped and went under the dryer).

Nonie

Very interesting, OP. You actually made me put on my thinking cap and it occurred to me that thirsty hair would be hair that would try to find moisture wherever it can--even in the air--hence frizz. :scratchch So it would make sense that uber moisturized hair would be so content it would not need to suck anymore in from the air...so no frizz. :yep:

Can you share your reversion pics when you wash your hair? Also...*clears throat*...was there any smell of burning hair when you pressed? I'm not saying that's necessarily a sign of damage coz lawd knows that for years that's been the norm for me, even when I pressed this hair and immediately on washing had this complete reversion the smell was there. But I ask because my last press using two protectants didn't have the slightest whiff of burning protein. Not even when I wet my hair, so I am 100% sold on the products I used (Frizz Ease Heat Defense and Thermal Protection Serum). Still, it is always nice to know of alternatives since you know how companies just yank things off the shelves without warning or change them to something you don't like.

So was there a smell?

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.

you and your hair are lovely!!
how do you maintain at night? wrap?

Dommo

I agree with you on getting the moisture just from your DC. But you know that FHI runway aint no joke!!!! My platform will even get my hair pin straight no matter what!

Eluv

Just beautiful.

Just one question. Most of us deep condition before using heat. So do you think your results came directly from the Nioxin Thermal Bliss or the deep conditon?

westNDNbeauty

Very interesting, OP. You actually made me put on my thinking cap and it occurred to me that thirsty hair would be hair that would try to find moisture wherever it can--even in the air--hence frizz. :scratchch So it would make sense that uber moisturized hair would be so content it would not need to suck anymore in from the air...so no frizz. :yep:

Can you share your reversion pics when you wash your hair? Also...*clears throat*...was there any smell of burning hair when you pressed? I'm not saying that's necessarily a sign of damage coz lawd knows that for years that's been the norm for me, even when I pressed this hair and immediately had this reversion the smell was there. But I ask because my last press using two protectants didn't have the slightest whiff of burning protein. Not even when I wet my hair, so I am 100% sold on the products I used (Frizz Ease Heat Defense and Thermal Protection Serum). Still, it is always nice to know of alternatives since you know how companies just yank things off the shelves without warning or change them to something you don't like.

So was there a smell?

Smell...none.
Also, if I remember I can take and post wet hair pics.

ClassicBeauty

I totally agree about the moisture.
That's why I rollerset with leave-in conditioner. It really makes a difference for me!

westNDNbeauty

you and your hair are lovely!!
how do you maintain at night? wrap?

Thanks. I wrap for the first week and pin curl the second week.

Just beautiful.

Just one question. Most of us deep condition before using heat. So do you think your results came directly from the Nioxin Thermal Bliss or the deep conditon?

Someone else mentioned that deep conditioning really isn't a secret, but I seem to think MOISTURE rich deep conditioning is (when it pertains to flat ironing with ease). Before, I used to always deep condition and I deep conditioned using Aphogee 2 step followed by a moisturizing conditioner and the Green Tea Keratin Spray. But it wasn't until I learned from Patchouli85 that extreme moisture is what is necessary for flat ironed hair to be silky straight. So now, when I do a Aphogee 2 step I follow up with a series of deep penetrating moisture rich conditioners (for a few days) when I know I'm going to flat iron.

So all in all, I don't attribute the results to the Nioxin because I've used the Nioxin before without moisture conditioner and it looked like pic 2 still. Nioxin is just the heat protectant I am using these days since it is also a moisturizing detangler.

RENIBELL

Can you share your reversion pics when you wash your hair? Also...*clears throat*...was there any smell of burning hair when you pressed? I'm not saying that's necessarily a sign of damage coz lawd knows that for years that's been the norm for me, even when I pressed this hair and immediately on washing had this complete reversion the smell was there. But I ask because my last press using two protectants didn't have the slightest whiff of burning protein. Not even when I wet my hair, so I am 100% sold on the products I used (Frizz Ease Heat Defense and Thermal Protection Serum). Still, it is always nice to know of alternatives since you know how companies just yank things off the shelves without warning or change them to something you don't like.

So was there a smell?

Thanks for sharing OP. Nonie do you have a picture of the product you are talking about? really want to try this. also did you use the flat iron on the same heat as the time you smelled burnt protein?

LiberianGirl

ITA, my best flat iron yet was after I used my steamer to deep condition. My hair was very moisturized and stayed pin straight until wash day. I love the Nioxin Blisss...purchased it after I saw a natural use it on youtube.

Nonie

Below the last pic you can find the links to the types of conditioners I use. Even a side by side review of an expensive conditioner verses a cheapie conditioner.

No my flat ironing technique really did not change. But I must say the Dec 2008 flat iron job required like 4-5 passes and a silk wrap (saran wraped and went under the dryer).

OP, I hate to be that annoying kid in class who appears to hold everyone back coz she just doesn't get it, but while I've seen your posts on conditioners you use, can you please elaborate on what you used THIS time? All the steps you followed?

This is why I ask: different conditioners have different moisturizing effects and I do believe some products complement each other. So knowing the EXACT regimen you followed can be helpful. Just like you can give two people same amounts of eggs, flour, sugar and not get the same cake (<--not my example but I like it), knowing which of your many conditioners you used this time and whether you DC'd and how and what shampoo you used...ie all the steps can be helpful and could make the difference in another having the same success you had or a total flop that could be irreversible.

glamazon386

I thought most people DCed before straightening? I've always done it that way. Your hair looks good though OP.

westNDNbeauty

OP, I hate to be that annoying kid in class who appears to hold everyone back coz she just doesn't get it, but while I've seen your posts on conditioners you use, can you please elaborate on what you used THIS time? All the steps you followed?

This is why I ask: different conditioners have different moisturizing effects and I do believe some products complement each other. So knowing the EXACT regimen you followed can be helpful. Just like you can give two people same amounts of eggs, flour, sugar and not get the same cake (<--not my example but I like it), knowing which of your many conditioners you used this time and whether you DC'd and how and what shampoo you used...ie all the steps can be helpful and could make the difference in another having the same success you had or a total flop that could be irreversible.

lol. Your gonna be really mad at me but..... Friday I did the side-by-side with Silk Elements Moisturizing Treatment and Boilage Conditioning Balm (review link in OP). On Sunday I did a full head of the Silk Elements. On Monday I mixed Cholesterol, EVOO, Coconut oil, Creme of Nature Pro Moisture Conditioner, Honey, Jojoba Oil, Elasta QP fortifying Moisture & Alterna Hemp Shine. On Tuesday (the day I finally flat ironed) I washed with Chi Infra and conditioned with the matching Chi Infra heat treatment conditioner.

So it was a series of deep conditioning treatments that I used previously to the results you see. But I must say that when I flat ironed 4 weeks before I used the cholesterol mixture (overnighted) and got very similar results (perm straight hair). HTH :ohwell:

MsGoody531

WOW...

What a HUGE difference. Your flat ironed hair is beautiful.

Ms Goody

KiSseS03

ITA with this advice! I am not fully natural yet, but I am almost 13 months post. For the past 3-4 months I have been wearing my hair straight most of the time. I have found a huge difference in my flat-ironing results since I started religiously deep conditioning with heat!

Gorgeous hair OP!

Nonie

I thought most people DCed before straightening? I've always done it that way. Your hair looks good though OP.

But that's the thing, if everyone does it, why doesn't everyone get these results? Could it be that she did more than DC? Could it be that instead of DCing she just used one uber moisturizing conditioner that promises like Aveda's Dry Remedy to "instantly improves dry hair up to 63%, when used as part of [their] Dry RemedyTM Moisturizing System". If you notice, in that first post, when she mentioned DCing when talking about her previous presses but didn't mention it in w/r/t this one. Was that just an accident that she omitted to mention it or did she really not do one?

See, details are important when it comes to something as important as hair is to us. :grin:

lol. Your gonna be really mad at me but..... Friday I did the side-by-side with Silk Elements Moisturizing Treatment and Boilage Conditioning Balm (review link in OP). On Sunday I did a full head of the Silk Elements. On Monday I mixed Cholesterol, EVOO, Coconut oil, Creme of Nature Pro Moisture Conditioner, Honey, Jojoba Oil, Elasta QP fortifying Moisture & Alterna Hemp Shine. On Tuesday (the day I finally flat ironed) I washed with Chi Infra and conditioned with the matching Chi Infra heat treatment conditioner.

So it was a series of deep conditioning treatments that I used previously to the results you see. But I must say that when I flat ironed 4 weeks before I used the cholesterol mixture (overnighted) and got very similar results (perm straight hair). HTH :ohwell:

Not mad at all. That's exactly the info I needed to know. It could be all these products complemented each other and are necessary. Maybe not. But now that I know, coz I know I won't be doing all o' dat, if my hair doesn't turn out like yours, at least I'll know why. So thanks for answering. :kiss:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

She got that flat iron skill down to a science, everyones hair looked so nice and silky when straight and well moisturized when curly.

ETA: Also she is removing any product buildup from DC b4 blow drying and flat ironing. She also is only using 1 product on her hair b4 flat ironing not a million leave in's, oils and a heat protectant.

Last edited:

PPGbubbles

Loven it! you and your hair are very pretty!

I already use this method. This will help many ppl thanks for posting :)

Rei

so wait, its better to shampoo after dcing? wouldn't that counteract some of the point of dcing. *is confused by that video you posted*

westNDNbeauty

Thanks.

But that's the thing, if everyone does it, why doesn't everyone get these results? Could it be that she did more than DC? Could it be that instead of DCing she just used one uber moisturizing conditioner that promises like Aveda's Dry Remedy to "instantly improves dry hair up to 63%, when used as part of [their] Dry RemedyTM Moisturizing System". If you notice, in that first post, when she mentioned DCing when talking about her previous presses but didn't mention it in w/r/t this one. Was that just an accident that she omitted to mention it or did she really not do one?

Thanks Noni. You're on par with my thoughts. I really wouldn't of posted if I thought everyone knew deep conditioning with moisture can gain such results. In pic 2, I had deep conditioned, but it was a conditioner which really wasn't geared towards only moisuture (protein and moisture - Aphogee 2 step). But I will edit my OP to inform that I my hair was previously deep conditioned using Aphogee 2 step in pic 2.

If you are going to try this method, the cholesterol mixture should suffice for the type of moisture needed (try plastering it on like a mask and let it sit for as long as you can. I slept with mine the first time) :yep: