Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2009, 10:18 PM

Thanked 2,982 Times in 635 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question How Do You Wash Your Hair in Sections or Plaits?

I used to do this and can't remember why I stopped. Ladies who wash their hair in plaits/sections: tell me, do you leave it in the braids from shampoo to rinse to conditioner? Or do undo each braid/section and wash separately? I remember Robin over at www.growafrohairlong.com had a video tutorial....I'll look that up too. But I'm interested in what you ladies are doing. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Default Re: How Do You Wash Your Hair in Sections or Plaits?

I swear by this method, I am 12 months post, and washing in sections has allowed me to hang onto my relaxed ends, avoid splits, and my "detangling" time is around 5-10 minutes for my entire head.

I usually wear my hair straight so pre-wash it is already detangled. I part my hair down the middle of my head (hairline to nape), and then further divided those halves into 3 sections each. This leaves me with 6 sections. I have experimented with smaller sections, but 6 seems to be the magic number to allow me to adequately get to my scalp, smaller braids tend to be too tight for this.

I leave my braids in for the entire washing process, prepoo, shampoo and deep condition. This is key! My hair never ever gets a chance to tangle through the entire process, so combing at the end is so easy! I was skeptical at first about DC'ing in braids, I wasn't convinced that the product would thoroughly coat my strands, but it works! I use an applicator bottle with a nozzle to get down near the roots, and I always DC with a hooded dryer so this may help the product to adequately reach the inner strands.

In the end because my hair never had a chance to tangle, "detangling" is as simple as running the comb through each section to get rid of any minor tangling, and then I run my knock-off denman through to remove any shed hair. It takes 5-8 minutes, at the most 10 if I had been wearing a textured style the previous week.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:08 PM

Thanked 17,339 Times in 4,279 Posts
Mentioned: 1246 Post(s)
Tagged: 149 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiSseS03 View Post
I swear by this method, I am 12 months post, and washing in sections has allowed me to hang onto my relaxed ends, avoid splits, and my "detangling" time is around 5-10 minutes for my entire head.

I usually wear my hair straight so pre-wash it is already detangled. I part my hair down the middle of my head (hairline to nape), and then further divided those halves into 3 sections each. This leaves me with 6 sections. I have experimented with smaller sections, but 6 seems to be the magic number to allow me to adequately get to my scalp, smaller braids tend to be too tight for this.

I leave my braids in for the entire washing process, prepoo, shampoo and deep condition. This is key! My hair never ever gets a chance to tangle through the entire process, so combing at the end is so easy! I was skeptical at first about DC'ing in braids, I wasn't convinced that the product would thoroughly coat my strands, but it works! I use an applicator bottle with a nozzle to get down near the roots, and I always DC with a hooded dryer so this may help the product to adequately reach the inner strands.

In the end because my hair never had a chance to tangle, "detangling" is as simple as running the comb through each section to get rid of any minor tangling, and then I run my knock-off denman through to remove any shed hair. It takes 5-8 minutes, at the most 10 if I had been wearing a textured style the previous week.
Wow thanks for this clear description!!
every time I have tried to wash in sections,I fail miserably, so I'll try your method next time!!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:23 PM

Thanked 2,619 Times in 870 Posts
Mentioned: 410 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

I have not tried to wash in sections but after reading KiSse description I will definitely try it. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:25 PM

Thanked 40,287 Times in 7,101 Posts
Mentioned: 931 Post(s)
Tagged: 115 Thread(s)

Now that my hair is longer I have no choice but to wash it in 2 sections. I just part it in the middle and put lots of conditioner on both sides.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Ive started doing this, I do it parted done the middle. It has really worked for me.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharifeh View Post
Wow thanks for this clear description!!
every time I have tried to wash in sections,I fail miserably, so I'll try your method next time!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pringle View Post
I have not tried to wash in sections but after reading KiSse description I will definitely try it. Thanks for the info!
Hey ladies! I hope it works for you, it has been a life-saver for me. I tried to wash my hair in sections years ago, but I would take down each section, and wash it individually and my hair would tangle anyway, so I figured what's the point? This way has changed the WHOLE game! I love it.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

What is prepoo?
Old 12-12-2009, 04:07 AM

Tagged: 11 Thread(s)

Quote:

OMG...this sounds like a LIFE SAVER!! Seriously, thank you for posting that...never thought of leaving the braids in and just washing my hair like that...I usually wash in four sections but take each section out to wash, then have a long detangling process...wow...thank you again. I will try this next wash day, wish me luck!
Old 12-12-2009, 06:01 AM

Thanked 19,390 Times in 4,033 Posts
Mentioned: 752 Post(s)
Tagged: 72 Thread(s)

thanks for asking OP
Old 12-12-2009, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I agree with Kisse- 6 braids/twists works well.

The hair is sectioned when I prepoo with deep conditioner. I undo each section at a time to shampoo and detangle with my denman.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

My hair is too short for this but I will make not of it to use this method when I get some length. Thanks for the details!
Old 12-12-2009, 07:43 AM

Thanked 2,982 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMaria View Post
Now that my hair is longer I have no choice but to wash it in 2 sections. I just part it in the middle and put lots of conditioner on both sides.
Me too and still do. Doing it all together is inviting knots.

But I stopped with the plaits a while ago. And I remember I had little to no breakage washing in braids.

I like KiSseS03's description. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2009, 07:58 AM

Thanked 40,287 Times in 7,101 Posts
Mentioned: 931 Post(s)
Tagged: 115 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd View Post
What is prepoo?
Pre-poo is kinda like a hot oil treatment. You saturate your hair with a certain oil and leave it on for a while, then rinse it out. For example I normally pre-poo with coconut oil and put on a plastic shower cap and let it sit for an hour or more. Then I rinse it out and style. Some people will shampoo, but I don't because it defeats the purpose (IMO).

Hope that helps.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:47 AM

Thanked 1,460 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 431 Post(s)
Tagged: 38 Thread(s)

During the process, do the braids begin to unravel? Do you put a scrunchee or band at the end to keep the braids intact? I'd like to start using this process as I get nearer to APL, but my braids/twists unravel automatically as water begins to smooth thru it....
Old 12-12-2009, 11:35 AM

Tagged: 11 Thread(s)

I try to do this with my DD hair but I still have a hard time cleaning her scalp in the front. That may be more of a clarifying issue. Even so, it is a whole lot easier to detangle since it didn't get tangled in the first place. This is a good thread.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 17 Thread(s)

I just had to come back and say - I tried this today after reading your post....

So much time saved!!!! I applied Aphogee 2 min reconstrutor, to 6 sections and braided, for a few minutes. Rinsed out, cowashed then applied my leave in conditoner and then took down each braid. I was able to finger comb Unbelievable!!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing!!! I always said I didn't "need" to wash in sections but now that I've tried this, I'm going to wash in sections 90% of the time.

Thank you
Quote:

Old 12-12-2009, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 19 Thread(s)
Smile Re: How Do You Wash Your Hair in Sections or Plaits?

I wash my hair in braids. i don't do shampoos but I pre-poo, co-wash and now also tea rinse. I don't undo the braids in between and my hair is so soft and DETANGLED!
I was surprised this AM when I looked down and saw the time....I was so fast today! And I wash my hair in a sink so it doesn't get rushed in a shower!
Old 12-12-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HISdaughter View Post
OMG...this sounds like a LIFE SAVER!! Seriously, thank you for posting that...never thought of leaving the braids in and just washing my hair like that...I usually wash in four sections but take each section out to wash, then have a long detangling process...wow...thank you again. I will try this next wash day, wish me luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss806 View Post
My hair is too short for this but I will make not of it to use this method when I get some length. Thanks for the details!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyEsquire View Post
Me too and still do. Doing it all together is inviting knots.

But I stopped with the plaits a while ago. And I remember I had little to no breakage washing in braids.

I like KiSseS03's description. Thanks!
Hey ladies , no problem, I really hope it works for you, I can't say enough about this method, it has literally saved me soooo many strands. It has also made my wash days enjoyable again, there was a time that I dreaded washing my hair due to tangling it was part of the reason I relaxed after being natural for a year. It has also saved me soooo much time, 5-10 mins spent detangling my hair used to be unheard of! I'm confident that when I'm fully natural this method will work just as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddison View Post
During the process, do the braids begin to unravel? Do you put a scrunchee or band at the end to keep the braids intact? I'd like to start using this process as I get nearer to APL, but my braids/twists unravel automatically as water begins to smooth thru it....
Hey lady! I have to put ouchless bands at the ends of my hair because it is relaxed, I'm assuming that once I'm fully natural my hair will just stay in the braids, but really I have had no problems with the bands, I'm just extra careful to remove them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MummysGirl View Post
I just had to come back and say - I tried this today after reading your post....

So much time saved!!!! I applied Aphogee 2 min reconstrutor, to 6 sections and braided, for a few minutes. Rinsed out, cowashed then applied my leave in conditoner and then took down each braid. I was able to finger comb Unbelievable!!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing!!! I always said I didn't "need" to wash in sections but now that I've tried this, I'm going to wash in sections 90% of the time.

Thank you
No problem transitioning twin I'm so glad it worked for you, and it's wonderful that you've found it now because I'm sure it will be great even when you're fully natural!
Old 12-13-2009, 03:51 PM

Thanked 9,010 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd View Post
What is prepoo?
Apply oil to your hair before washing, I use olive oil or vatika oil.

I wash and condition my hair in sections; sometimes in braids/twists. The only time my hair is loose is when I use henna.