Can You Really Thicken Thin or Thinning Hair?

:perplexedI have heard several different answers to this question:look:

I have been told that hair appears to look thin due to breakage where one layer of the hair is simply longer that the other and has to catch up again to make the hair appear thicker...and there is no way to "thicken" it besides letting it grow even again the actual strands themselves dont thicken

I've also heard that if your hair is thin it will always be thin and vice versa for thick hair...but after my recent setback, I started using castor oil on me and my daughter's hair (thinned from braids) and we have both noticed incredible thickness, more than before and our hair has always been really thick..nappy thick.

I have even looked at our individual strands and I know that they are thicker...sorry I dont have pics to post...I am at work:nervous2:

I have also heard that applying dark color either semi perm or perm makes the hair appear thicker...so I did apply a much darker brown rinse a few weeks ago and I have to agree with that...I can still see through my sides but not as much and it appears more healthy...I will lighten again once recovered.

My siggy pic is the lighter rinse...

Please let me know your thoughts....

LadyLeoSmile

interesting question, and I'd be interested in the answers. I'm seriously looking into findind that castor oil because I hate how thin my hair is. My daughter on the other hand has the thickest hair and she don't need nothing makin it thicker! lol

LaToya28

I think that if your thin hair is due to genetics then you can try to make the hair appear thicker by wearing textured styles, thickening products, and going to a darker shade. However, if your thinness is due to damage, then you can take better care of your hair to restore thickness. I'm still on the fence about castor oil. I've been using it and my hair is as thick as it's always been. I love your hair color btw.

Geminigirl

I am anxiously waiting for my JBCO to arrive. My hair seemed to thin out and start breaking recently which is why I braided it up. But sometimes I get discourgaed about my hair. I have been using this Profectiv stuff on my edges and they kinda thickened up but it could just be in my head. I am praying JBCO is what everyone says it is.

Tanji

My hair was starting to become thin and wispy looking. I finally decided to stop relaxing for a while and see what would happen. I braided my hair post 24 weeks. I took my braids out a few weeks ago and my hair is thicker than its been since I was in high school. At 35 weeks, it's thicker and wilder than I know what to do with, but I love every strand of it. Everytime that I wash it and there's this whole big giant pile of hair, I laugh and smile. I don't think that I'll go back to relaxing, but if I did, I think this break helped a whole lot. I know that not everyone can or wants to braid or go natural -- it's a personal choice. This is just what helped me. I wish you luck.

ceebee3

I think that if your thin hair is due to genetics then you can try to make the hair appear thicker by wearing textured styles, thickening products, and going to a darker shade. However, if your thinness is due to damage, then you can take better care of your hair to restore thickness. I'm still on the fence about castor oil. I've been using it and my hair is as thick as it's always been. I love your hair color btw.

Agreed, there are ways to make the hair appear thicker and ways to restore your thick hair.

There's nothing that will change what's growing from your scalp.