Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
July 3, 2013

Devotional:

Samuel said to the people, "Do not fear. You have committed all this evil, yet do not turn aside from following the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart. 1 Samuel 12:20 (NASB)

Israel wanted a King. This crushed Samuel's heart and angered God with the people's lack of faith. Samuel, however, reminds them that while they have stumbled and fallen, they must not abandon the LORD himself. Instead, their political concerns must give way to their total allegiance to God and their willingness to serve him fully.

Prayer:
Forgive me, dear Father, for the sinfulness, short-sightedness, and silliness that I have, at times, shown. I want to serve you with an undivided heart, cleansed by your forgiveness and the transforming power of your Holy Spirit. Thank you! In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
How blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, Whose hope is in the LORD his God, Who made heaven and earth, The sea and all that is in them; Who keeps [fn]faith forever; Psalm 146:5-6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 4, 2013

Devotional:

[fn]It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1 (NASB)

Grace and freedom are not a license to sin(Jude 4). In fact, sin enslaves us; sin is addictive (John 8:34). As those who have died and buried the old person of sin with Jesus in baptism, we are not to let sin reign over us or become our master because we have been liberated by grace (Rom 6:1-14). So let's seek the power of the Holy Spirit to cleanse us(Heb 9:14) and powerfully liberate us from sin (Rom 8:10-15). Let's use our freedom to bless and build others up. Let's use our freedom to offer our hearts and lives to the work of God!

Prayer:
Holy and Righteous God, my Abba Father, thank you for freeing me from the guilt and power of sin! Please empower and transform me by your Spirit so that I can leave my sinful past behind and live a life of character and blessing in my family, in my work, and in your world. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth comeknowledge and understanding. Proverbs 2:6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 5, 2013

Devotional:

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21 (NASB)

A friend used to remind me that the number one goal in dealing with difficult people or circumstances is this: Don't become what you hate. He wasn't talking about hating the person, but despising their evil, wicked, petty, and sinful actions and motivations. We don't overcome the Devil by underhanded and dishonorable means. We overcome evil, we drive it back into the abyss, by doing what is right and filling our hearts and lives with goodness.

Prayer:
Holy God, please bless me with character as I resist those who are critical, cynical, and vengeful toward me. Please help me respond in a way that reflects the character and Lordship of Christ. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Matthew 5:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 6, 2013

Devotional:

"For the LORD will not abandon His people on account of His great name, because the LORD has been pleased to make you a people for Himself. 1 Samuel 12:22 (NASB)

The great and holy God will not be unfaithful. In fact, he will act to show his character and honor his holy name, even when his people don't deserve his grace. Why God would love and preserve us and our great Israelite ancestors is nothing short of grace, love, and faithfulness.

Prayer:
Holy and Righteous Father, your grace has not only saved me, but it sustains me even when Satan tries to use my own failures to make me doubt your love for me. Thank you for triumphing over my unworthiness and giving me righteousness so that I will be fit for your kingdom and glory. In Jesus' name I praise you. Amen.

Wisdom:
But He was [fn]pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; The chastening for our [fn]well-being fell upon Him, And by His scourging we are healed. Isaiah 53:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 8, 2013

Devotional:

"For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. Luke 12:23 (NASB)

In the rush of the holiday season and the grab at getting and giving gifts, it is very important to remember that life is much more than even the most basic things we think we need. If we lose sight of God, his work and his will in our lives, then what do we have? Not much and it won't last long! My prayer for you, and for me, during this holiday season is that we are reminded of what is most important, most valuable, and most enduring.

Prayer:
Sweet and precious God, almighty and awesome in glory, yet so near and so concerned about my heart, thank you for knowing and loving me with an everlasting love. Please give me the wisdom to see beyond the transitory things of life and find you and your sustaining presence. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore from now on we recognize no one[fn]according to the flesh; even though we have known Christ [fn]according to the flesh, yet now we know Him in this way no longer. 2 Corinthians 5:16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 9, 2013

Devotional:

"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. John 12:24 (NASB)

Jesus announced this truth, recognizing that God was calling him to lay down his life so his followers could join him in glory. Sacrifice is never easy, but despite his disciples' lack of courage and faithfulness during his last hours, Jesus truly believed that his sacrifice would bring the best out in them, and then also lead them to share his grace and glory with many others. (It should do the same for us!) The very fact that we are thinking of Jesus today is proof that he was correct about his powerful impact on them and others that came after them.

Prayer:
Thank you, Lord Jesus, for all that you did to ransom me from sin and death. Thank you for leaving heaven and living here among us. Thank you for being a person of compassion and character. Thank you for loving your own even though they abandoned you. Thank you for enduring the cross and entering death for me. I look forward to seeing you when you return with glory in the company of the angels. To you be all honor, glory, power, love, and praise. Amen.

Wisdom:
Do not boast about tomorrow, For you do not know what a day may bring forth. Proverbs 27:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 10, 2013

Devotional:

"If anyone [fn]serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone[fn]serves Me, the Father will honor him. John 12:26 (NASB)

We can't out serve, out love, or out give Jesus. He longs to bless us. He longs to pour out heaven's riches and grace upon us. Even more incredibly, he longs to honor us. When our lives are over, God the Father, LORD of the entire universe, will honor all who have served his Son and blessed others in Jesus' name! Unbelievable? No, just another example of God's incredible grace!

Prayer:
Loving Father and Holy God, please help me follow the will of Jesus and serve others in his name. Father, I know that I cannot earn your grace, but I want to serve others in Jesus' name and help them find your grace. In the name of the Lord Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 11, 2013

Devotional:

Now you are Christ's body, and individually members of it. 1 Corinthians 12:27 (NASB)

What part of the Body are you? What's your function, your purpose? How are you blessing others in the Body of Christ? Who is someone in the Body who does a great deal of service to others who needs your encouragement and praise? Who is someone who feels neglected and lonely who needs your love to be shown to him or her?

Prayer
Father, thank you for making me a part of something so precious, so awesome, as the bodily presence of the Lord. Please help each person in our church family to find his or her gifts of service and to use those gifts in ways that touch others with your grace and that bring you glory. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 12, 2013

Devotional:

Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us [fn]show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe; for our God is a consuming fire. Hebrews 12:28-29 (NASB)

Every earth-made empire will eventually topple. Every man-made structure will decay and fall. God, however, has given us a kingdom that can't rust, spoil, or fade, kept in heaven for us. It won't rot or ruin and no thief can break in and steal it away.

Prayer:
All praise and adoration be yours, O great King of the Ages. Thank you for giving me a place in your incomparable, indestructible, and unconquerable Kingdom. In Jesus' name I praise you. Amen.

Wisdom:
"For [fn]I hate [fn]divorce," says the LORD, the God of Israel, "and [fn]him who covers his garment with[fn]wrong," says the LORD of hosts. "So take heed to your spirit, that you do not deal treacherously." Malachi 2:16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 13, 2013

Devotional:

"Or how can anyone enter the strong man's house and carry off his property, unless he first binds the strongman? And then he will plunder his house. Matthew 12:29 (NASB)

Praise God! Jesus broke into the Strong Man's house. He overpowered him and bound him. And, what did he bring out of the Strong Man's house? Buried treasure, of course! And that treasure is us!!

Prayer:
Thank you, Lord Jesus, for rescuing me from the dominion of darkness and ushering me into your victorious Kingdom of Light! Amen.

Wisdom:
And the Word became flesh, and [fn]dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of [fn]the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 15, 2013

Devotional:

The priests and the Levites purified themselves; they also purified the people, the gates and the wall. Nehemiah 12:30 (NASB)

God has placed each of us in a circle of influence. Before we try to "clean up" those around us, let's first offer ourselves to God to be consecrated and to be made pure by his grace. Then, let's live in a way that shows the impact of that holiness in our lives. Jesus told us to remove the plank from our own eye before we try to clean the speck out of someone else's eye. For leaders at any level, "living holy" is essential before calling others to holiness! God's greatest times of spiritual renewal begin when leaders first consecrate themselves to God and his work.

Prayer:
O Father in heaven, forgive me for my sins. I want to be pure and holy, cleansed by your Spirit and forgiven by your grace. Please bless me as I seek to live a holy life before those I influence. I need your powerful help to be the example and person of character that you want me to be, and that my friends need me to be. I ask this in the name of Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. Matthew 5:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 16, 2013

Devotional:

that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old [fn]self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, Ephesians 4:22 (NASB)

That's a tough one, isn't it?! We each surrendered our heart to God and our old self was crucified with Christ when we became Christians (cf. Rom 6:6). Jesus reminds us that this surrender is something each of us should do daily (cf. Luke 9:23). We need to put the old sinful life aside every day and choose to live for Jesus in response to God's grace. Let's make it our spiritual habit to consciously offer ourselves to the lordship of Jesus each day.

Prayer:
Holy and Almighty LORD, my Father in heaven, I want to honor you and ignore the temptations of Satan. Please empower me with your Spirit and capture my heart with your grace as I seek to live each day for you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore, [fn]prepare your minds for action, [fn]keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace[fn]to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 1:13 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 17, 2013

Devotional:

and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, Ephesians 4:23 (NASB)

We cannot renew ourselves on our own. We can guard ourselves from corrupting influences. We can offer ourselves to God and come to better discern his will (Romans 12:1-2) Ultimately, however, God himself must do the renewing, not just when we are saved, but daily. Only God's grace can sustain, empower, and renew us. Let's offer ourselves to him. Then, let's confidently ask for his grace to empower, perfect, and renew us!

Prayer:
Father, I come to you asking for your grace to make me new in the way I look at things, especially how I view people. Please cleanse my heart and make me new in my mind and my spirit. I want to live each day sharing your love, empowered by your Spirit, and aware of your grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst." Matthew 18:20 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 18, 2013

Devotional:

and put on the new [fn]self, which [fn]in the likeness ofGod has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth. Ephesians 4:24 (NASB)

One of the biggest decisions we face at the beginning of each day is what we will wear. Well, no matter what we choose in the way of clothing, let's make sure we choose to put on the new person God re-made us to be when we became Christians (Galatians 3:26-27). Those are the only clothes that will fit us eternally!

Prayer:
Dear Father, may people see the character and likeness of Jesus in me today. Lord Jesus, in your name I ask that you please guide my decisions and help me know how you would have me act in the situations I face today. Precious and powerful Holy Spirit, please fill me and continue your work in transforming me. Amen.

Wisdom:
"You shall walk in all the way which the LORD your God has commanded you, that you may live and that it may be well with you, and that you may prolongyour days in the land which you will possess. Deuteronomy 5:33 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 19, 2013

Devotional:

At night [fn]my soul longs for You, Indeed, [fn]my spirit within me seeks You diligently; For when the earth[fn]experiences Your judgments The inhabitants of the world learn righteousness. Isaiah 26:9 (NASB)

When a young couple in love is apart, they long to be with each other again. When a parent is separated from his or her child, the parent misses the child intensely. When a spouse can no longer be with a long time marriage partner because of disease, death, or divorce, that person's soul can ache to be reunited to the one they have loved. Do you recognize your spirit aching to be with God? Do you end each day and begin the next longing to be in the presence of God? Let's recognize our God-hunger and not only satisfy it by spending time in his presence, but let's also communicate our desire, affection, and need for the presence of our heavenly Father in our lives.

Prayer:
Holy and righteous Father, I do ache to be in your presence. I know the piece of my soul that sometimes I feel is missing can only be found in you. Please, dear Father, be very real and present to me in my life today. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For the choir director. A Psalm of David. The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands. Psalm 19:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 20, 2013

Devotional:

[fn]I will sing to the LORD [fn]as long as I live; [fn]I will sing praise to my God [fn]while I have my being. Let my meditation be pleasing to Him; As for me, I shall be glad in the LORD. Psalm 104:33-34 (NASB)

Do you sing in the shower? What words are on your lips? Singing is such a wonderful gift! First, it is a gift from God to us, to help us express our joy, excitement, sorrow, and victory. Second, it is a gift from us to God, to help us communicate our respect, appreciation, love, and confidence in God. So let's sing, praising God for what he has done, proclaiming what he will do, and sharing what he is currently doing in our lives!

Prayer:
O God, Father in heaven, even your name is holy. Please exert your will over my heart, and the hearts of those in our world, so it more closely reflects your holy character. I trust you, dear LORD, for the food I need each day. I ask you, Holy Father, to forgive me as I release my bitterness and anger which I have held against those who have wounded me. Empower me, O God, to resist the temptations and deceptions of the Evil One. Please make my life a glorious witness to your grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
"They will hunger no longer, nor thirst anymore; nor will the sun [fn]beat down on them, nor any heat; for the Lamb in the center of the throne will be their shepherd, and will guide them to springs of the[fn]water of life; and God will wipe every tear from their eyes." Revelation 7:16-17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 22, 2013

Devotional:

The LORD'S lovingkindnesses [fn]indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23 (NASB)

What sustained you through the night? What will get you through today? What will enable you to achieve, even thrive, in the days that lie ahead? The LORD's mercies. These incredible resources never really run out! Each new day brings a fresh supply of them. God is faithful to make sure we have them each day. Praise be to God for making our world new and clean each new day.

Prayer:
Thank you, holy God and loving Father, for sustaining me through the night and promising me endless day at the end of my life's journey. May you, my Father in heaven, find love and praise on my lips and in my heart at all times. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Yet those who [fn]wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will [fn]mount up with [fn]wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary. Isaiah 40:31 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 23, 2013

Devotional:

The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, To the[fn]person who seeks Him. Lamentations 3:25 (NASB)

Out of the ashes of Jerusalem's destruction and the disaster that befell God's people because of their repeated disobedience comes this reminder of truth. Those who wait patiently, who hope fervently, in the LORD will find what their soul most needs!

Prayer:
Give me patience and faith, O God, for the times when life is hard and everything seems to go against me. I believe that you are good to those who persevere, waiting patiently in hope for your mighty deliverance. Dear Father, please give me such strength because I not only want to receive your blessing, but I also want to bring you honor. In the name of your Son, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith;and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, Ephesians 3:16-17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 24, 2013

Devotional:

[fn]Stop regarding man, whose breath of life is in his nostrils; For [fn]why should he be esteemed? Isaiah 2:22 (NASB)

"If only I had a friend." "If only my father hadn't left." "If only she was more supportive." "If only..." People can fail us, but we still pin so many of our hopes on them. They are fallible and mortal just like we are. So while we are involved in the lives of other people, let's also remember to keep our hopes connected to the Son of God, who "defeated death and brought immortality and life to light" and who will "never leave or forsake" us.

Prayer:
Forgive, dear Father, when I have pinned my well-being and happiness on being accepted by a certain group or loved by a certain person. I know my only lasting hope is found in Jesus, in whose name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Genesis 1:27 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 25, 2013

Devotional:

The mind of man plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9 (NASB)

We're now over half way into a new year. How are you doing with those changes and commitments you made for the new year? Don't give up or quit on them... even if you're having trouble staying on track. But, let's remember that the only real commitment for this year that is absolutely necessary to keep is that we ask the Lord where he wants us to go and what he wants us to do, then we go there and do it.

Prayer:
Holy God, Almighty LORD, Abba Father, thank you for being wondrous, holy, and mighty. Thank you for also caring about me, my life, my decisions, and my struggles. Please guide me by your Spirit so that I can understand your Word and discern your will for my life. I want to have you fully direct my steps. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them! Psalm 139:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 26, 2013

Devotional:

A Psalm for [fn]Thanksgiving. Shout joyfully to the LORD, all the earth. Psalm 100:1 (NASB)

With joy, let's praise and make a joyful noise to the LORD of lords and the King of kings today. Let's find short moments during our day, seize them, and use them to give thanks and praise to our Father in heaven. When we are blessed, let's take a moment and pause for praise. In every good thing, let's share a phrase of praise to our gracious Father.

Prayer:
Loving and tender Father, God of mercy and might, I find it absolutely incredible that you let me know you, the awesome and holy Creator. You are so gracious to listen to me, one of your creatures. Your mercy has saved me; I praise you! Your love has remade me; I thank you. Your strength has given me power to change; I appreciate you. You are wonderful, dear Father, and I love you with all of my heart. I praise you in the name of Jesus, your greatest gift. Amen.

Wisdom:
Great is the LORD, and highly to be praised, And His greatness is unsearchable. Psalm 145:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 27, 2013

Devotional:

Serve the LORD with gladness; Come before Him with joyful singing. Psalm 100:2 (NASB)

Let's not be limited to church-house singing or sanctuary joy. Let's make today a day we listen to Christian music as we sing our thanks and praise to God.

Prayer:
Dear Father in heaven, thank you so much for giving us, your human creation, the gift of music. Thank you for all those who write and share songs of praise that bring such joy to my heart. Please be pleased with my praise, as I listen and sing to show my love for you, and my heartfelt thanks for all of the blessings you have lavished upon me. In Jesus' name I thank you. Amen.

Wisdom:
Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and [fn]He has [fn]committed to us the word of reconciliation. 2 Corinthians 5:18-19 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 29, 2013

Devotional:

Know that the LORD [fn]Himself is God; It is He who has made us, and [fn]not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Psalm 100:3 (NASB)

God made us. While we were in our mother's womb, he made us with his loving care with a purpose for life and a promise to be with us every step of the way. God cares for us, much better than even the very best shepherd cares for his sheep. So let's live as those who know our Leader, Creator, and King! Let's display his character, share his grace, extend his mercy, and offer his forgiveness. Let's show that we are his!

Prayer:
I am truly thankful, dear LORD, that you are God. Thank you for being my Shepherd, my Father, and my Hero. Please help me genuinely display your character and kindness to those around me. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of a heavenly calling, consider Jesus, the Apostle and High Priest of our confession; Hebrews 3:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 30, 2013

Devotional:

Enter His gates with [fn]thanksgiving And His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him, bless His name. Psalm 100:4 (NASB)

Clearly this exhortation comes from the days of God's physical Temple in Jerusalem. Let's also remember that for us, God's New Covenant people, God's Temple is the church (1 Cor 3:16) and our own bodies (1 Cor 6:19). Let's value and celebrate with joy our church family. Let's also glorify God with our bodies! Let's give thanks and praise God's name in public, in private and in the community.

Prayer:
Father, I enter into the most holy place and approach you because of the sacrifice of Jesus. I am thrilled to know you listen. I am overjoyed to know you welcome me. I am glad to be with you and to let you know how much I appreciate all that you have done for me. Thank you for meeting me in this place of prayer until I can come home to you and meet you face to face. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or [fn]shifting shadow. James 1:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 31, 2013

Devotional:

For the LORD is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting And His faithfulness to all generations. Psalm 100:5 (NASB)

I usually "speed read" through the 'begats' (you know, through the genealogies in the Bible). But, let's take time today to go back and read Matthew 1:1-17 and be reminded that God's love, mercy, and faithfulness not only continued through all of those generations, but also blessed and nurtured each of those generations. As he has done in the past, God will do so even more in the days ahead as we await the glorious return of his Son and our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Prayer:
In a world of change and undependability, thank you, dear Father, for being sure, steadfast, and faithful. In a time when everyone seems to want something from me or out of me, thank you, dear Father, for repeatedly and consistently blessing me. Thank you for being more enduring than the mountains and more glorious than the most beautiful sunrise. In the name of Jesus, your Son and my glory. Amen.

Wisdom:
For all the gods of the peoples are [fn]idols, But the LORD made the heavens. Psalm 96:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 1, 2013

Devotional:

The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life, But the mouth of the wicked conceals violence. Proverbs 10:11 (NASB)

Want to know the difference between a righteous person and a wicked one? Simple, check the fruit of their life. One of the most visible forms of fruit in a person's life is his or her speech. The righteous person finds a way to impart life with his or her speech. The wicked will nearly always reveal themselves by what his or her mouth says.

Prayer:
May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O God my Father, redeemer, and LORD. In the name of Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good. Romans 12:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 2, 2013

Devotional:

Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God. Romans 5:1-2 (NASB)

Justified, peace, access, grace, hope, and glory -- what a wonderful collection of gifts! Each of these gifts are ours because of One -- One reason, One person, and One Lord: Jesus Christ, the Son of God and our Savior.

Prayer:
I praise you, Lord Jesus, for all that you've done to bless me with your salvation. I praise you, dear Lord, for your promise to return and invite me to share in your glory. Speed that day and purify me for your service. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held in its power. Acts 2:24 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 3, 2013

Devotional:

And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; Romans 5:3-4 (NASB)

What are you living to produce in your life? Wealth, fame, status, significance, a legacy? How about character! Isn't having the character of God our real goal in life? So even in our worst of times, if we can be people of character, then nothing can steal from us our most desired goal, the character of God, given us in Jesus Christ.

Prayer:
Dear Father, please bless me so that I can be strong in difficult times and consistent in holy character. Please give me a heart of courage and compassion so that I can more nearly remind others in some small way, what you are like and what you can do in their lives. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Forsake your folly and live, And proceed in the way of understanding." Proverbs 9:6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 5, 2013

Devotional:

and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. Romans 5:5 (NASB)

Hope has become such a "wimpy" term in modern vocabulary. It hardly qualifies as an adequate translation of the meaning in most New Testament passages. Hope is the assurance that what we believe will happen. We could call it spiritual confidence. We have that spiritual confidence because more than just a wish, more than just an emotion, more than just a belief rests in our heart; God himself lives in us through his Holy Spirit. When we become Christians, Jesus pours out the Spirit upon us (Titus 3:3-7) as God's gift to us(Acts 2:38; 5:32) to cleanse us(1 Cor. 6:11), make us part of the same Body(1 Cor. 12:12-13), and live inside us (1 Cor. 6:19-20). Paul adds one more thing to that list of blessings from God's presence within us -- God's love. We don't just have it; God keeps refreshing it through the Holy Spirit, just as Jesus had promised (John 7:37-39).

Prayer:
Holy and Almighty God, awesome in power and majestic in holiness, thank you for not only coming to us in Jesus, but thank you also for living in us through your Spirit. Please pour your love into my heart so that the fruit of your grace may flow from me to those around me and everyone around me will know of your grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Leave the presence of a fool, Or you will not discern words of knowledge. Proverbs 14:7 (NASB)