Stinky Hair

Rei

So, I've come across this issue during my HHJ, the issue of...stinky hair! Ok well not stinky, just...not smelling good-hair. After I detangle with HH (which smells like lovely coconut), DC with AO HSR, (which smells like old lady), and put in my leave in/moisturizer (smells like rasperry), then seal with olive oil (smells like...well olive oil), my hair is left smelling like, as someone recently told me "all sorts of mess" :lachen: Particularly the olive oil scent is very strong, despite me only using a bit of it! Coconut oil doesn't seem to smell as good on my hair as it does in the bottle (plus it doesn't really work as well on me)

Does anyone else have this problem of their hair not smelling that great? It kind of bums me out that I'll have really nice soft healthy looking hair that smells like a a million different products (that mix together to create some weird smell)

Any way to avoid this? I can't think of one. I know that some ladies use VS so sexy but I hate that scent, and unless its strong enough to mask the rest, I'm afraid it'll just blend into the other scents.

song_of_serenity

Wow! I can see why that hodgepodge would cause a stink. :lachen: Great smells alone, kinda funny when mixed...I wonder, are all of those products an absolute necessity at the same time? Just wondering of one could be eliminated/substituted for an equally well working product with not such a strong scent!

anon123

I don't know how to avoid it. Maybe using all of one line so the scents are designed to go together?

Rei

Wow! I can see why that hodgepodge would cause a stink. :lachen: Great smells alone, kinda funny when mixed...I wonder, are all of those products an absolute necessity at the same time? Just wondering of one could be eliminated/substituted for an equally well working product with not such a strong scent!

lol yeah i've tried. it seems to be one or the other, at least with the products that I've been using. I can't detangle with HSR, not enough slip, and I can't DC with HH, its not a deep conditioner. If I skip the leavein, it'll be dry when I air dry, and I've skipped the oil before but then my hair isn't as soft when it dries.

If anyone knows of a product or a product line (even better) that has a GOOD scent that works, that'll be great, haha. I'm doubting it though. I think what I need to find is a leavein with a crazy strong nice smell so it will overpower all the rest! :perplexed

For once I find a regimen that is working and now my head smells like a product factory:wallbash:

Rei

I don't know how to avoid it. Maybe using all of one line so the scents are designed to go together?

yes this is what I was thinking! Anyone know any good ones (with good scents?) AO is great but they don't make leaveins and I think the smell of HSR as a leavein is kind of :perplexed

Even back when I used shea butter, my roommate used to turn up her nose and say "what is that, your hair is going to smell a mess" :blush: And it usually did, lol. Soft and moisturized, but not so nice smelling.

MonPetite

So, I've come across this issue during my HHJ, the issue of...stinky hair! Ok well not stinky, just...not smelling good-hair. After I detangle with HH (which smells like lovely coconut), DC with AO HSR, (which smells like old lady), and put in my leave in/moisturizer (smells like rasperry), then seal with olive oil (smells like...well olive oil), my hair is left smelling like, as someone recently told me "all sorts of mess" :lachen: Particularly the olive oil scent is very strong, despite me only using a bit of it! Coconut oil doesn't seem to smell as good on my hair as it does in the bottle (plus it doesn't really work as well on me)

Does anyone else have this problem of their hair not smelling that great? It kind of bums me out that I'll have really nice soft healthy looking hair that smells like a a million different products (that mix together to create some weird smell)

Any way to avoid this? I can't think of one. I know that some ladies use VS so sexy but I hate that scent, and unless its strong enough to mask the rest, I'm afraid it'll just blend into the other scents.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:At the bolded.

You could use Herbal Essence Long Term relationship conditioner as a co-wash, which also smells like raspberry. I've reviewed it in detail on my blog -it's great. THE LTR LEAVE-IN IS FANTASTIC. I've reviewed it as well.

Olive oil could be replaced with coconut. Same effects, gentle scent.

As far as the "old lady smell", rose-scented things go down hard. I suggest a different DC with a less obtrusive smell or matching raspberry smell or something vanilla-ish that will blend well with the raspberry.

Nayna

Unbothered
I try to pay attention to which scents are heavy and which scents wear off quickly that way my final product is going to dominate my hair. For example I usually seal with jojoba and mine doesn't smell like anything so my moisturizer usually dominates. And when I moisturize again I make sure to use the same one.

Rei

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:At the bolded.

You could yes Herbal Essence Long Term relationship which also smells like raspberry. I've reviewed it in detail on my blog -it's great.

:lachen:thats actually what I'm using now! I thought it would solve the problem and make my hair smell like raspberries. :blush: I was wrong, apparently. I think I'll replace HH with LTR and hope that those two scents will overpower anything else.

As much as I love coconut oil and want it to work well, its been pretty schizophrenic about working on my hair. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Olive oil has been doing very well consistently for my hair (which is funny because when I first BCed it did nothing) but idk...I may ixnay it soon, I'm getting all paranoid about the smell now. Thanks

Last edited:

anon123

yes this is what I was thinking! Anyone know any good ones (with good scents?) AO is great but they don't make leaveins and I think the smell of HSR as a leavein is kind of :perplexed

Even back when I used shea butter, my roommate used to turn up her nose and say "what is that, your hair is going to smell a mess" :blush: And it usually did, lol. Soft and moisturized, but not so nice smelling.

Hmm, I don't know. I avoid the problem because I use lighter smelling things. I've definitely noticed that olive oil is smelly, especially mixed with any other scent. My hair smells faintly of an old skillet with yesterday's pasta. :lachen: That's why I prefer coconut oil. My shampoo is also light in scent. Hey, that's it. Try Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo and conditioner. They are not heavy on the scent. Then you'll just have the smell of your leave-in. Maybe if you use an olive-oil based leave-in, you can use olive oil without a clash in scents.

Rei

thanks mwedzi! I will try that. There is a TJ's near me and I"ve never been in there:blush:

Rei

Oh wow this old thread. I've helped this issue a bit since then

I now seal with Jojoba oil which does not smell like anything. I still DC with the old lady conditioner (HSR), but I have trimmed down my regimen that that is the smelliest thing in my regimen. I've started to use "kimmaytube's" leave-in which works pretty well for me (and has no lingering smell), and then seal with jojoba or if I know i'm not going to be able to moisturize again in a while, use Oyin Handmade burnt sugar (great scent!)

Mostly I just stopped caring about how my hair smelled, haha. I cut out the olive oil though...I couldn't get with that smell and the results were not that amazing over long term.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I try to pay attention to which scents are heavy and which scents wear off quickly that way my final product is going to dominate my hair. For example I usually seal with jojoba and mine doesn't smell like anything so my moisturizer usually dominates. And when I moisturize again I make sure to use the same one.
I do the same. I pick the product I want my hair to smell like (Right now it's Bath and Body Works Japanese Cherry Blossom conditioner) then I pick other products (shampoo, oil, leave-in) that have no smell or a light smell.

I have no problem with evoo leaving my hair smelly but coconut oil doesn't smell great in my hair.

I'll never forget the Alma Oil fiasco of '09, lol. My husband who loves "playing" in my hair no matter how many times I karate chop him for it, rollled over one night and told me that my hair stunk like feet. Horribly offended, I vowed to never let something like that happen again so I became a serious scent conscience consumer. Everything I purchase now had better work amazing and smell even better. If I can't have the best of both worlds, I order a 1oz vial of scented oil from www.saveonscents.com and pour the fragrance oil into my hair products. Now everything I own smells like the tropics or cotton candy or ambrosia. Now I get compliments all the time on how good I smell and nine times out of ten it's my hair.

I mostly heavily scent my deep conditioners and my leave-in products like my oils because they are the last things I add to my hair. My castor/olive oil mix smells like Strawberry shortcake:yep:

Etherealsmile

I'll never forget the Alma Oil fiasco of '09, lol. My husband who loves "playing" in my hair no matter how many times I karate chop him for it, rollled over one night and told me that my hair stunk like feet. Horribly offended, I vowed to never let something like that happen again so I became a serious scent conscience consumer. Everything I purchase now had better work amazing and smell even better. If I can't have the best of both worlds, I order a 1oz vial of scented oil from www.saveonscents.com and pour the fragrance oil into my hair products. Now everything I own smells like the tropics or cotton candy or ambrosia. Now I get compliments all the time on how good I smell and nine times out of ten it's my hair.

I mostly heavily scent my deep conditioners and my leave-in products like my oils because they are the last things I add to my hair. My castor/olive oil mix smells like Strawberry shortcake:yep:

This is awesome! thanks for the link:grin:

Etherealsmile

Msmchy can most of those oils be used in hair products? The website doesn't specify which oils can be used in hair products so your thoughts are appreciated :)

Miss*Tress

For anyone who still has the problem, like msmchy I highly recommend adding essential oils to products. Also try sweet almond oil as a replacement for olive oil.

Msmchy your hair is lovely and you and your family are gorgeous.

Aireen

I want to smell your hair, it sounds like the aroma is a mash up of different foods. :lick:

Last edited:
@Msmchy can most of those oils be used in hair products? The website doesn't specify which oils can be used in hair products so your thoughts are appreciated :)

I'm guessing so. I'll contact them though so I can give you specifically what oil they use. Because this company sells these fragrance oils designed for skin and body products as well as soaps and candles, I'd figured they be okay to use in hair products. They are pretty quick with their responses because I was wondering if their oils were cosmetic grade or food grade and they let me know with the quickness, don't make no coconut fried chicken with this mess:lachen:

Chiquitita

I was going to suggest Darcy Botanicals. Very moisturizing for my 4b hair and they let you choose the scent for certain products, like the leave in.

Aviah

The only thing that has a smell in my regimen are the cheapie conditioners that I do WnG's/ Cowashes with, and Cantu Shea Butter (which I like, but doesn't seem to last). I seal with coconut oil which has no scent. Still I want my hair to smell fresh. I find after a few days it has an "oldish" kind of smell. Not strong, but its just not like when I first wash and put in my leave in. I guess that's part of it unless I want to wash more often.

lustrous

Thanks for this thread OP. I have the SAME issue. My moisturising regimen has suffered because of it. I'd rather have dry, great smelling or scentless hair that soft funky smelling hair. =/. i can't stand to smell.