Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2009, 12:33 PM

Thanked 4,289 Times in 859 Posts
Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Default Strands that have bends,bumps,splits.

I have a question. I've decided to transition again. It's taken me 2 years to realize that either relaxers just don't work at all with my hair, or that I'm a horrible self relaxer. I rarely use heat. Either way since I refuse to go to a salon, my hair needs to be natural in order to be healthy.

Anyway, I have slightly above SL hair. I just cut like an inch off, my ends were crummy. I have some splits on the ends, some in the middle of strands, and some strands have these little knots or bumps, some bends, that if I rub my fingers on them, they break off at the bump. I'm embarressed when I look at my bathroom floor and see crazy amounts of broken hair.

Is there anything that can be done? I want to transition long term, but I'm not completely against BCing early if I can't stop this breakage.

As for routine I wash once a week, sometimes throw in a cowash, DC with a cholesterol, airdry, and moisturize daily.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:11 PM

Thanked 40,284 Times in 7,099 Posts
Mentioned: 931 Post(s)
Tagged: 115 Thread(s)
Default Re: Strands that have bends,bumps,splits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchesse View Post
I have a question. I've decided to transition again. It's taken me 2 years to realize that either relaxers just don't work at all with my hair, or that I'm a horrible self relaxer. I rarely use heat. Either way since I refuse to go to a salon, my hair needs to be natural in order to be healthy.

Anyway, I have slightly above SL hair. I just cut like an inch off, my ends were crummy. I have some splits on the ends, some in the middle of strands, and some strands have these little knots or bumps, some bends, that if I rub my fingers on them, they break off at the bump. I'm embarressed when I look at my bathroom floor and see crazy amounts of broken hair.

Is there anything that can be done? I want to transition long term, but I'm not completely against BCing early if I can't stop this breakage.

As for routine I wash once a week, sometimes throw in a cowash, DC with a cholesterol, airdry, and moisturize daily.
Hi Duchesse, what is your question exactly? If you should BC or trim some more?

If its about doing the BC, I don't like short hair on myself either so I waited until I had a decent amount of length (5 inches) before I cut off the relaxed ends. If you're hair is shedding maybe you can try buying some over the counter garlic pills at the pharmacy. Its supposed to curve the shedding. You might also try changing the deep conditioner. I have to change up my DC's every few months because after a while my hair just doesn't respond to it any more. I highly recommend Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose.

HTH

Oh and good luck with your transition!!!!
Old 10-29-2009, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I've read an article that the bumps on hair are from too much heat, it causes the strand to bubble up, on my own hair i've seen this and eventually it leads to split ends.

try cutting little by little and see if that helps. do heavy deep conditioning treatments. since your transitioning you can do more co-washes too, if you use heat maybe take a break from it.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMaria View Post
Hi Duchesse, what is your question exactly? If you should BC or trim some more?

HTH

Oh and good luck with your transition!!!!
oops! I guess I didn't clarify! My question is essentially what, if anything can be done to repair hair that is damaged, especially strands that have that "bump" in the middle of the shaft. If the only solution is a trim, then I'll probably just cut everything.

And thank you for the well wishes!
Old 10-29-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhairlover View Post
I've read an article that the bumps on hair are from too much heat, it causes the strand to bubble up, on my own hair i've seen this and eventually it leads to split ends.

try cutting little by little and see if that helps. do heavy deep conditioning treatments. since your transitioning you can do more co-washes too, if you use heat maybe take a break from it.
If that's the case, my hair must be extremely heat sensitive. I've only flatironed a few times in that past months. I'll up the DCing. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2009, 02:24 PM

Thanked 3,279 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Tagged: 97 Thread(s)

my hair does this too. For me, what helps is moisture and lots of it. my hair responds well to mango butter as a sealant too. it keps my hair slippery. Also, i HAVE to comb my hair to prevent tangles. I think the knots are called fairy knots or something like that. They are literally knots in the strand.

As far as the splits, When I use certain products I get them, I too have to mix up my products. too much cantu-shea leave in is a bad thing for my hair for example.