Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List
Postal, rayellejd14, Sfrancis, TheVioletVee

Unread 04-06-2012, 02:06 PM

Thanked 8,724 Times in 3,017 Posts
Mentioned: 645 Post(s)
Tagged: 46 Thread(s)
Default Re: Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterGirl View Post
I love my cones. You'll have to pull them from my dead prying heads to take it from me.
i look at it like this...cones are better than lye. a girl's gotta do what she gotta do to get by.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to havilland For This Useful Post:
daviine (04-06-2012), sipp100 (04-13-2012), WriterGirl (04-08-2012)
Unread 04-06-2012, 09:25 PM

Thanked 2,073 Times in 853 Posts
Mentioned: 363 Post(s)
Tagged: 11 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviine View Post
Hey CandiceC!

I'm on page 73 now of this thread and I feel like I'm never going to catch up.

I have one question that is puzzling me. How are you guys "bunning"? What do you mean by "bunning"? Are you just putting your hair in a ponytail? How is your hair not poofy? Also, is it okay to brush back the new growth? In the beginning I was doing this often but wasn't sure if it was a no-no or not. Then I started doing braidouts but after experiencing the breakage I did this week, I have decided to first try to try to get myself into some type of routine.

I need to make sure that I have found the correct combo of products to maximize moisture levels before I manipulate my hair everyday with the braidouts. Until then, I'd like to learn more about bunning. I did try to watch some videos but I'll take all the info I can get.

So, if ponytails/ buns are indeed possible...please share with me your methods (or the posts/threads/tutorials that you found most helpful) for getting decent looking buns. Thanks.

I think I have type 4 hair if that matters.
I did it I finished the thread---sure I have a headache but I'm finally caught up. Now I can spend two weeks catching up on some other thread, lol.

I have another question about bunning. Are you guys bunning your hair and leaving it in a bun until next wash day? I've been putting my hair in a ponytail while wet so not sure if this is considered bunning. Because I don't want my hair to be stressed out the ponytail, I let my hair out when I get home. Plus, I like to play with my new growth.

My hair is still breaking a bit but I guess I just have to get my regimen down. I'll be happy when I get that part down because I can go back to braidouts when I'm feeling bored. Right now, my hair seems to break whenever I touch it, so I need to master this bun thing.

I have a lot of other random thoughts I'd like to add to this post but the headache says I should stop now.

The Following User Says Thank You to daviine For This Useful Post:
havilland (04-08-2012)
Unread 04-08-2012, 06:22 PM

@daviine i thought i was the only one who read threads until she got a headache. LOL

i finished one this morning before i did my deep condition treatment

so i think chicoro's deep moisture treatment is going to help me through these two textures with some ease.....my hair feels shiny and was fairly easy to deal with today after an hour with her concoction on my head.
Unread 04-08-2012, 06:55 PM

Lol @havilland. I've been away from the board for so long and this transitioning thing is uncharted territory, so I don't want miss a thing!

I think I have most, if not all, of the ingredients for Chicoro's prepoo but I've just not been motivated to try this recipe. First of all, I don't know how well my relaxed hair will respond to this as I haven't had much luck with natural/homemade stuff so far. Second, it seems so messy. However, my hair is dry and breaking so it's worth a try.

I would love to find a way to keep my moisturized for more than a day because I'm really trying not to manipulate my hair ----well, except for my hand in my new growth, lol.

I'm on vacation this week. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Unread 04-08-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviine View Post
Lol @havilland. I've been away from the board for so long and this transitioning thing is uncharted territory, so I don't want miss a thing!

I think I have most, if not all, of the ingredients for Chicoro's prepoo but I've just not been motivated to try this recipe. First of all, I don't know how well my relaxed hair will respond to this as I haven't had much luck with natural/homemade stuff so far. Second, it seems so messy. However, my hair is dry and breaking so it's worth a try.

I would love to find a way to keep my moisturized for more than a day because I'm really trying not to manipulate my hair ----well, except for my hand in my new growth, lol.

I'm on vacation this week. Maybe I'll give it a try.
Its worth a try. I didn't find it messy at all. If you have aloe juice, put the mix in a spray bottle. If you have gel then it's not necessary. And put your sealing oil in an applicator bottle - easy breezy
The Following User Says Thank You to havilland For This Useful Post:
Dayjoy (04-11-2012)
Unread 04-10-2012, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

I don't know if I mentioned this in this thread, but I took out one of my box plaits and BC'd that one section of hair, and let me tell you....I am in with my lil 2 inches of natural hair! I left about an inch of the relaxed hair on just to be able to tell the difference, and the natural hair is soooo much softer than the relaxed ends. If I didn't have such a fear of seeing myself with short hair, I'd chop all of these relaxed ends off right here and now! But patience is my game right now. No chopping until ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

BTW, if you couldn't already tell, I've officially moved into the transitioning phase...again! The difference between then and now being that I'm no longer attached to seeing myself with long straight hair and I no longer feel like going natural is some kind of sacrifice. With so many videos, blogs, and photo albums out there, as well as having sooo many natural family members, I know a lot more about the care, maintenance, versatility of my natural 4b hair in its transitioning and natural state, and I'm super excited to get to know it for the first time since 5th grade. Anywho, can't wait until I'm fully natural!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to newbeginnings2010 For This Useful Post:
chrisanddonniesmommy (04-11-2012), Dayjoy (04-11-2012), havilland (04-11-2012)
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:30 PM

Thanked 1,394 Times in 370 Posts
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 23 Thread(s)

Hi ladies,

I enjoyed my short time here with you'll. I wish each of you all the best on you NHJ. WE all are going to know when it's time to BC based on our needs.

I'm saying so-long for now, I expect to see you ladies soon in the Natural Treads.

BC 4/7/12

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...1#post15694541

APL, BSL, MBL, WL - Dec 2015
PSing 99.9% with Beehive under wigs
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ojemba For This Useful Post:
A856 (04-17-2012), chrisanddonniesmommy (04-11-2012), Dayjoy (04-11-2012), GeorginaSparks (04-14-2012), Godyssey (04-11-2012), havilland (04-11-2012), qtslim83 (04-11-2012), SherylsTresses (04-11-2012), sipp100 (04-13-2012), WriterGirl (04-11-2012)
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:25 PM

Thanked 12,918 Times in 1,763 Posts
Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 15 Thread(s)

Finally found a leave-in combo that works for me and part of it is discontinued

I've also been wearing my hair in a bun for the past few weeks...I'm loving the waves

For Easter, I wore my hair in a bantu knot out pinned into a bob. It was OK, next time I won't use a setting lotion.
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Natural MBL and Loving It

Thanked 9,160 Times in 2,110 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojemba View Post
Hi ladies,

I enjoyed my short time here with you'll. I wish each of you all the best on you NHJ. WE all are going to know when it's time to BC based on our needs.

I'm saying so-long for now, I expect to see you ladies soon in the Natural Treads.

BC 4/7/12
Congrats!!!!

"Black women view their hair as a problem. To enjoy black hair, such negative thinking has to be unlearned." - bell hooks
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:07 PM

Thanked 6,591 Times in 2,050 Posts
Mentioned: 724 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by havilland View Post
@daviine i thought i was the only one who read threads until she got a headache. LOL

i finished one this morning before i did my deep condition treatment

so i think chicoro's deep moisture treatment is going to help me through these two textures with some ease.....my hair feels shiny and was fairly easy to deal with today after an hour with her concoction on my head.
I read the WHOLE thread too!

Today makes 18 weeks. I went and got a wash and blow and had to admit to my hair stylist that I hadn't washed it since the last time I was there four weeks ago. I won't be doing that again. She was super impressed with my "perfect coils" (her words ) in the back. I can't wait 'til three years from now when i am wearing my big ol' braid/twist out/wash and go 'fro!

Off to search Chicoro's prepoo.

Glad to be a Nail Fanatic
CHOPPED June 19, 2013 Last texlax December 7, 2011
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dayjoy For This Useful Post:
chrisanddonniesmommy (04-12-2012), havilland (04-11-2012)
Unread 04-11-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havilland View Post
Its worth a try. I didn't find it messy at all. If you have aloe juice, put the mix in a spray bottle. If you have gel then it's not necessary. And put your sealing oil in an applicator bottle - easy breezy
Its definitely not messy the way you suggest doing it. I did it early this morning and am now doing a protein treatment.I won't know if it was successful though because the only thing that stayed consistent with today's wash was the shampoo. I did a different prepoo, protein treatment, and will probably use a different moisturizing conditioner--not sure yet about that that one. I'm really hoping that this protein treatment slows down some of this breakage-- of course I'll have no way of knowing what actually did the trick if it does work---but if it does work--I'll repeat the exact same procedure in two weeks or so.

I know some breakage is to be expected but I just want minimal breakage--maybe I won't have to BC--- because my hair will just slowly break off...

@newbeginnings2010 I thought of cutting off a small portion but I figured if I have different textures, that only solves part of the mystery...but like I mentioned, since my hair is breaking, I can play with the broken patches.

Last edited by daviine; 04-11-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:23 PM

I am really amazed at the range of emotions I have had in the past 12+ hours since my last post. I didn't want to keep posting and clog up the thread so I didn't post but it turns out that here I am posting right behind my last post anyway.

Yesterday I was so glad that I didn't have a pair of scissors anywhere in the house because I'm not sure what I would have done to my hair.

At some point between last night and now, I decided that I will wait at least the end of August because I have some events to attend.

I think for the most part, I've been light-hearted (not really the word I'm looking for) about the breakage I'm experiencing but now I'm starting to get annoyed.... talk about creamy crack withdrawals.

I just tried to take a pic of my new growth but it just looks to me like I'm balding/thinning in the crown area. My husband said the same a few weeks ago after I asked him to examine a part of my head that was itching in a weird kind of way.

The part seems wider than I think it should be but I'm too embarrassed to post it. If it is balding/thinning, I'm wondering if it from the gajillion ponytails I've put my hair in over the years or relaxing or both. Bunning is supposed to be my go-to style until I figure out what my hair needs/wants in terms of moisture. I'm really trying so hard to remember but I think I vaguely remember a stylist telling me to vary the position of my ponytails--and if she said that was it because she saw something or was she just giving preventative advice? Can't remember. I don't know.

My hair has always been the thing I've felt the most confident about and now....I'm on this experiment to I don't know where. I'm just so disheartened and I'm already tired of typing this so, I'm just going to lurk until I'm feeling back on the "up" part of my emotional roller coaster. (That could be in an hour or a week--who knows lol) I guess this is a sign that I need to find other things about myself to love.

Last edited by daviine; 04-12-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: mistakes
The Following User Says Thank You to daviine For This Useful Post:
Cruzankink (04-23-2012)
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Type 4a Natural

Thanked 1,942 Times in 603 Posts
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

@daviine So sorry about what you're feeling and going through with your hair. I can understand how upsetting it can be, as I had alopecia areata years ago. I think you should visit a dermatologist and have him examine your scalp just to make sure that your thinning isn't a medical condition. If it is, it can most likely be treated with medication. FYI that weird itching/burning is a symptom of alopecia.

I definitley wouldn't relax (you mentioned you were going through withdrawal) until I saw a doctor. Good luck.

Last edited by Godyssey; 04-12-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:00 PM

@daviine

Aw, I'm so sorry about your situation! Maybe you need braids or something to avoid manipulating your hair altogether. That's what I would have done during my last transition if I wasn't so fed up and impatient with my breakage and tangling. I could have been 2 years natural now, but I relaxed a day or two later after posting my frustration in this very same thread. Now I regret it. But I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the best for you. I would advise putting your hair in a low maintenance style where you won't have to think about it before you chop or relax prematurely.

Good luck!
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:20 PM

@Godyssey
@newbeginnings2010

Hi--thanks so much for your concern. I just wanted to clarify that I'm not considering relaxing. I just meant that my hair is in withdrawal--- because its breaking because it wants more of the creamy crack. Like a true addiction. Sorry for the confusion.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daviine For This Useful Post:
chrisanddonniesmommy (04-15-2012), Godyssey (04-12-2012), newbeginnings2010 (04-12-2012)
Unread 04-12-2012, 10:25 PM

@daviine

Ah, okay. Your NG isn't craving creamy crack. It's screaming to be freed from the relaxed ends! Tell those coils to back off and exercise some patience.
The Following User Says Thank You to newbeginnings2010 For This Useful Post:
chrisanddonniesmommy (04-15-2012)
Unread 04-14-2012, 11:07 PM

Thanked 17,244 Times in 4,268 Posts
Mentioned: 756 Post(s)

SOS PLEASE HELP ME. Im about 3 months post my hair is a pain to detangle. Im losing a lot of hair. Ive tried different combs like k-cutter/tangle teezer/shower comb except my denman(scared it will rip out my hair).

How can I detangle my hair in the shower? What method, what products, what type of comb? I have fine hair(im just not saying this lol) so its fragile.

Unread 04-15-2012, 10:36 AM

Thanked 1,656 Times in 423 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)

@shockolate I prepoo my hair with a little condish and oil (mostly castor oil or Vatika).

What has helped me is doing a little finger detangling once the oil and condish has softened the hair (usually between 20 min and hour). I finally broke down and bought me a Magic Star 5660 seamless comb-- it's made a BIG difference and was worth the investment.

But I NEVER comb my hair or try to detangle with a comb until I'm in the shower and use the force of the water to help me. Even when I finger detangle I have some type of butter, oil, or leave-in to soften it up first.

I've lost a LOT of hair before this.

I have 4a/b/c hair. Mostly 4b/c. Thick and cottony.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WriterGirl For This Useful Post:
Dayjoy (04-16-2012), DDTexlaxed (04-24-2012), GeorginaSparks (04-15-2012)
Unread 04-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Natural MBL and Loving It

Thanked 9,160 Times in 2,110 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockolate View Post
How can I detangle my hair in the shower? What method, what products, what type of comb? I have fine hair(im just not saying this lol) so its fragile.
I usually detangle my damp hair out of the shower with my wide-toothed comb, leave-in, and oil of choice. However, since I'm much longer into my transition, it's a bit of a breeze. So, I do advise detangling in the shower with as much conditioner as you can stand, a warm stream of water, sectioned hair (4-6 sections), some clips for your hair, and a wide-toothed comb. Comb ends to root while your hair is in the water's stream soaked with conditioner and use some patience!

"Black women view their hair as a problem. To enjoy black hair, such negative thinking has to be unlearned." - bell hooks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisanddonniesmommy For This Useful Post:
Dayjoy (04-16-2012), GeorginaSparks (04-15-2012)
Unread 04-15-2012, 11:22 AM

Thanked 8,773 Times in 1,144 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)

I haven't posted in this thread in a long time (due to laziness) but I ended my transition on Saturday. I did my big chop due to the extreme breakage I was having. I was 6 months into my transition and my hair was breaking so bad!! I was clogging up drains and leaving hair all over the sink and floor. So even though I never wanted to BC I did it Saturday and I must say I love it! I co washed my hair two times since then and I lost ZERO hairs. But I really just wanted to come and say good luck to the rest of your transitioners!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5a18e531-1.jpg (109.0 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by MsLauren; 04-15-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: needed to cover my face in the pic!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MsLauren For This Useful Post:
BahamaMama (05-05-2012), Dayjoy (04-16-2012), GeorginaSparks (04-15-2012), Meemee6223 (04-15-2012), newbeginnings2010 (04-15-2012), Shelew (04-16-2012), SherylsTresses (04-15-2012), z3000zee (02-04-2013)