Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Smiley79

I'd like to start off by saying that I was looking to see if this already existed and the only I found was back in 2007 so that's why I started this one. I wonder if anyone is either thinking about doing this or attempting to this and it would be nice to have a little thread of our own to share ideas, trials and triumphs with this tricky process. And let's not mention new growth and two different textures we're going to have to deal with. And anyone who has done it successfully, PLEASE do share your stories and regimens. Happy Hair Growth!

PS) A little about my hair journey. I Big Chopped in early May '09 and relaxed the hair so I could rock the Rihanna/Keri Hilson styles. Soon after this, I quickly saw the benefits of having cut my hair and starting from scratch, BUT I totally regretted relaxing it after the BC. In addition, I have gradually gotten the hang of managing my new growth and I've also succeeded at finding a regimen that best suits my hair. So, you can imagine how much I wish that all the hair in the pic below was a fulll head of natural hair, and thus it lead me to wanting to at least try transitioning without having to BC again. Hope I succeed, but at least I'll have given it a shot.

Update 2014: I did a second big chop and am on a natural hair journey that i love even more this time around!:yep:

Last edited:

Smiley79

Welcome on board girl!!! It's all in the name of transitioning. I'm sure the support will be beneficial.

Tanji

I am in! Currently at week 27. I'm in braids right now. Its been six weeks and I plan on taking them out in two weeks or so. After that I plan on conditioning, conditioning and conditioning. I'm back on my vitamin regimen and protein shakes. I will have someone cut my ends and slowly trim away. I don't plan on a big chop.

Thanks for starting this thread. It will help me a lot. Hopefully, I'll be able to help others too. Love it!

BlackMasterPiece

Hey yall! I just wanted to pop in and say I'm living proof that you can do a long term transition without the big chop:yep:

Although during the time I went on my natural journey I didnt have this site as support so I might've been tempted to bc seeing all these lush heads on natural hair....I''m not gonna front:giggle:

But either way, just wanted to chime in and add some encouragement and say you can transition without ever doing any kinda cut besides slight trims:yep:

Good luck to each and every one of you!:wave:

jamaraa

You guys should get some Lacio Lacio leave in....my mother found it a miracle on her ng. She's relaxed and I'm natural, but I thought I'd share this bit of mojo for you inbetween gurls!

BrickbyBrick

Somewhere around the one year mark too (like jaded_faerie). Last relaxer was early October '08. I would like to join if you have have room:).

Austro-Afrikana

I'm at 17 months and am transitioning with the crown and glory method. For the first 6months i blow dried and straightened every week when out of braids because it started off as a stretch and i wanted straight hair. Then after i chickened out of my relaxer appointment in december i cut out the flat ironing and blowdried for the next 6months when out of braids. For the past 5months i have used no heat and have done braid outs when out of braids. It's hard finding the right thing man and wash days last a whole day! I had to transition out of heat too.
I was supposed to do a length check in december via flat ironing and post my first progress pics but i feel like i'm going to chicken out of it like i chickened out of my relaxer. Can anyone relate?

Smiley79

Somewhere around the one year mark too (like jaded_faerie). Last relaxer was early October '08. I would like to join if you have have room:).

Oh yes darling...no limit to this thread. Just a spot for us to hang out and vent or share success and/or questions. I know that there is already a Transition Support Thread formed, but our case of not BC'ing makes it slightly different because of the two textures issue and more delicate condition of our hair. So welcome to all of you thus far and to anyone else who may join as well.:bighug:

Last edited:

Smiley79

Hey yall! I just wanted to pop in and say I'm living proof that you can do a long term transition without the big chop:yep:

Although during the time I went on my natural journey I didnt have this site as support so I might've been tempted to bc seeing all these lush heads on natural hair....I''m not gonna front:giggle:

But either way, just wanted to chime in and add some encouragement and say you can transition without ever doing any kinda cut besides slight trims:yep:

Good luck to each and every one of you!:wave:

Thank you BMP...your hair is exactly where I'd like to get to. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Smiley79

New Products (new to me) that I've tried and do my hair quite well:

I recently gave the ORS Hair Mayo a try after reading some good reviews. The first time I used as my Protein DC after washing and the 2nd time I used it as Pre-Poo on dry hair. I didn't care much for it as a pre-poo although I will admit that it loosened up my new growth in time for my washing. But I think I prefer using it as a Protien DC on wet hair. So far for protein, I have a good relationship with the Aphogee 2-min and the ION Reconstructor, so now I have the Hair Mayo to choose from when needed.

Honey & Olive Oil Pre-Poo mixed the Hairveda CoCasta Oil- Now this is my Pre-poo to stick to. It gets my hair in a good mood and I am very pleased with the outcome.

Herbal Essence LTR for my daily moisture- No complaints thus far

And the big daddy of them all, I just purchased this a couple weeks ago: The Aubrey Organics Camellia conditioner All I have to say is wow...I never knew hair could turn into silk:grin: I absolutely loved it and will be keeping this in my rotation.

ITEMS I WILL TRY ONCE IM FINISHED WITH CURRENT PRODUCTS

Rusk Sensories Leave-In- Highly recommended by Sylvers2 during her strecthing

Silk Elements Deep Conditioner- just curious; highly recommended by Keep It Simple Sista ( is this a protein or a moisture?)

Smiley79

I'm at 17 months and am transitioning with the crown and glory method. For the first 6months i blow dried and straightened every week when out of braids because it started off as a stretch and i wanted straight hair. Then after i chickened out of my relaxer appointment in december i cut out the flat ironing and blowdried for the next 6months when out of braids. For the past 5months i have used no heat and have done braid outs when out of braids. It's hard finding the right thing man and wash days last a whole day! I had to transition out of heat too.
I was supposed to do a length check in december via flat ironing and post my first progress pics but i feel like i'm going to chicken out of it like i chickened out of my relaxer. Can anyone relate?

For some reason I want to avoid the whole heat flat ironing thing as well. On the other hand, my hair has no problem with blow drying. I blow dry all the time to about 75-80% dryness and I'm ok. But I don't want to flat iron and put that type of heat on it. Anyone else have hair that doesn't mind being blow-dried?

beans4reezy

Oh wow! Please let me in...although, I kind of am a cheater. I am only going from bone straight relaxed to texturized hair...its still a chemical process, but I am preserving more of my curl pattern...can I be in??

It would be a lot easier for me to just BC all of those relaxed ends, I just want to do it slowly...very, very slowly.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Count me in!! This is great timing.

I have been transitioning for almost eight months now and I have no plans on BC'ing. I am going for length first. I'll worry about wearing my natural kinks later.

As of now I am in pixie braids with no extensions and I plan to wear them for about 3-4 weeks. I will co wash 3 times a week.

I am attempting to not put any weave in my hair until sometime next year.

I have BKT'ed my hair to make my newgrowth more manageable. It doesn't change my curl pattern just makes it easier to detangle and keeps my line of demarcation strong. Love that!!

I shampoo with elucence moisture benefits shampoo and apply keracare intensive restorative mask and sit under the steamer for 30 minutes once weekly.

I am actually doing a co-wash as soon as I finish typing this. I'll probably use some PM supercharged for that.

Shea butter and coconut oil and olive oil have become important parts of my regimen.

I need to mix my shea butter with some coconut oil and whip it so it won't be so thick but it works wonders for keeping my hair moisturized and soft.

Trying to stay away from heat as long as I can and trying to stay away from measuring too often too.

Good Luck to everyone!!

shtow

Ohhh ohhh can I join? My relaxed hair is at BSL and my last touch up was in late July. I plan on either not BCing or BCing in 1-2 years. This thread is perfect timing for me.

dicapr

I'd like to join also. I transitioned in 2007 and BC'd at 8 months in. After a year natural I texlaxed 2x only to realize that I hated the unpredictability of chemicals. The first texlax was everything I wanted from the process and the second texlax was a disaster. I am currently 14 weeks post and plan to use heat to help me transition this time. Single strand knots sent me back to chemicals last time and I believe that weekly blowdrying will keep the knots and the relaxer away for good this time. I hope that blowdrying will make this transition easier than last time.

Bulletproof

tHicK hAIr dOn't CarE
I had my last relaxer either end of May or beginning of June. I am hoping to not BC and just grow for like 3 years but sometimes I get antsy. A support group of people vowing to leave the scissors alone would be great for me. I already did a big chop on my relaxed hair in June to between chin and ear length. I got some great growth in the summer so now I am right about collarbone length.

My daily style is a kinky half wig right now. I keep my hair braided in medium box braids underneath. I don't use the teeth in the wig and just secure with a headband. The front section of my hair I fluff up, tuck under the the wig and place the headband where they both meet. My goal is to stop my transition when my blown out natural hair is the same length as the half wig.

I have not used heat since June 25 but I go back and forth on wanting to do so. Also I have decided not to use human hair and only synthetic for any future weaves I may get, though I am not sure how that will work for me, lol. My biggest thing is I am looking for a good deep conditioner whether homemade or store bought so I will be closely watching any response regarding conditioners.

Smiley79

First off, I JUST WANT TO EXTEND A HUGE WELCOME TO EVERYONE ON THIS THREAD! Say no to scissors!!!! lol.

From what I gather a lot of us are using protective styling, cowashing and DCing amongst the methods of getting through this process. Keep'em coming ladies! :)

Bun Mistress

I'm all in. Transitioning without braids, wigs, or "extensions" with no plans to mini chop or BC. It was rough going at first but now I have a routine that works for me. Just discovered dominician products and I'm in love.

here is what I'm doing (In case anyone is interested):
Henna every other weekend (I put a little protein conditioner in this mix as well)
Shampoo as needed with CV shampoo bar (the extra honey beer and eggs is amazing!)
DC everywash (once a week in the winter, twice in the warmer months) with AO or Aveda
Just started back roller setting and flat ironing or blowing out the roots.
IN the summer I was doing twists outs
Nightly spray with liquid moistureizer and seal with oil.

Thinking of trying to strech out my winter wash to two weeks but this would be very harid for my fine hair, sigh. So I'm going to have to do weekly I think.

And I PS all the time.

nikki2229

Thank you for this. I got over the itch of wanting to cut my hair a few months ago.
I am nearly 50 weeks post or 11 1/2 months post. I have decided to go as far as this journey will take me. Both textures are healthy and the transition is going pretty smooth so I don't see a reason to BC right now. Even though I can't wait to be all natural, I will just trim as usual and enjoy the journey.