ALL 8+ Week Stretchers..What 3-5 Products Help You Stretch A LONG, LONG Time?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Ladies: I am Entering My 16th Week Post Relaxer. I will be Relaxing Labor Day Weekend. My Next Stretching Goal is 20 Weeks. (For Alot of You Ladies, 16 Weeks Ain't Nothing...Neither is 20):look:

The Things that Helped Me Stretch and Keep My New Growth In Tact Are:

1) Jamacian Black Castor Oil *works wonders on NG
2) Using a Reconstructor Weekly *Keeps Hair Strong
3) Deep Conditioning With Heat *with something very moisturizing
4) A Creamy Leave-In

What Products or Special Secret Recipe Helped You Endure a 8, 10, 12, 14, 20, 6 Months, A Year Stretch???

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
S-Curl or any other activator for my new growth
IC Fantasia gel for new growth
Any cholesterol Deep conditioning treatment e.g. Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol/Queen Helene
V05 Moisture Milks Conditioner for co-washing around 17+ weeks post

I am now 10 weeks post, I'm aiming for 18 weeks this time around. I'll be watching this thread for new tips and tricks too.

Last edited:

Live4Me

I am more than 6 months post. I use:
-Elasta QP Mango Butter religiously on my NG
-Isoplus yellow gel for laying down edges
-Any coconut conditioner -- Co-Wash ALL THE TIME!
-Glycerin with ANYTHING!

Americka

Great Thread, T!

• Castor Oil
  • Moisturizer (NTM Leave In or JFM w/ SAA mixed in)
  • Lustrasilk Cholesterol (SB w/Mango)
  • Pantene Beautiful Lengths conditioner
  • Coconut Oil

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
S-Curl or any other activator for my new growth
IC Fantasia gel
Any cholesterol Deep conditioning treatment e.g. Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol/Queen Helene
V05 Conditioner for co-washing around 17+ weeks post

I am now 10 weeks post, I'm aiming for 18 weeks this time around. I'll be watching this thread for new tips and tricks too.

Me Too.:yep: And Imma also get some S-Curl. That Product Keeps Coming Up as a good one for alot of uses. i.e. baggying, keeping NG Moisturized etc....So, Imma need that too.

The IC Gel and IC Serum Really Helped me from about 8-12 Weeks when I was bunning, but I switched up. Will have to revist that.:look:

LushLox

The winter is going to bring about a slight variation in the way I stretch and do my hair. I'm going to incorporate a lot more hot oil treatments during those cold winter months. I have a bottle of JBCO and it just sits there on my shelf, :rolleyes: so I'm really going to focus on fitting my oils into my routine.

Anyhow for me:)

1. Steam DC with heat. I have several favourites, I'm currently enjoying AO White Camilia and Origin's Rich Rewards. In the grand scheme of things, it's the steam that is the really essential point
2. NTM Silk as a moisturiser during the early weeks/months of a relaxer then I move on to a heavier moisturiser; I'm currently using ORS Olive & Tea Tree Oil
3. Aveda DR reconstructor
4. L'Occitane Shea Butter Leave in

These are not products but:-

5. Being absolutely consistent - and no slacking off. I find when I get lazy my hair really suffers so that's a no no
6. Low manipulation

I'm shooting for 22/23 weeks after my next touch up.

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
NTM Silk Touch: My Holy Grail.

Shescentit Banana Brulee & Fortifying Masque.

Hairveda Strinillah.

Shescentit Seyani Hair Butter.
Coconut Cream Concentrate (dramatically loosens NG)

HTH

charmtreese

This is addition to the things you listed IDareT, since all of the things you listed also help me stretch.

1) Using a serum to detangling with (I use Chi Silk Infusion) after each wash
2) Henna or Clay to stretch the ng and remove some of the bulk, makes detangling easier.
3) Jane Carter nourish and shine on the NG
4) Finger combing

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
NTM Silk Touch: My Holy Grail.

Shescentit Banana Brulee & Fortifying Masque.

Hairveda Strinillah.

Shescentit Seyani Hair Butter.
Coconut Cream Concentrate (dramatically loosens NG)

HTH

I Have All 3 Of These! Will keep these in mind. Thanks:yep:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
This is addition to the things you listed IDareT, since all of the things you listed also help me stretch.

1) Using a serum to detangling with (I use Chi Silk Infusion) after each wash
2) Henna or Clay to stretch the ng and remove some of the bulk, makes detangling easier.
3) Jane Carter nourish and shine on the NG
4) Finger combing

Thanks Charm:yep:

Imma Die-Hard Henna/Indigo User Too, didn't even think of this one. I also have the Bentonite Clay and will incorporate this now that I have a better understanding how to use it.:yep: (Thanks for Your Review)

I had the JC N&S on my list but wonder how it compares to Qhemet Olive Oil & Honey?

And Yes, finger combing works wonders.

This time, I had a coupla' Knots & Tangles this time where hair had started wrapping around. It was murder. And I lost a few strands. I have to stay on top of that.:wallbash:

bestblackgirl

WEN (surprisingly it keeps my new growth extremely soft, and loosen the coils)
BB moisturizing growth lotion
OCT (it also keeps my new growth extremely moisturizing and soft
ORS deep condition

with these 4 products i cant keep my hands off my hair.I cant tell where the demarcation line is.

I'm stretching for 6 months... and i am currently 10.5 wks

charmtreese

Thanks Charm:yep:

Imma Die-Hard Henna/Indigo User Too, didn't even think of this one. I also have the Bentonite Clay and will incorporate this now that I have a better understanding how to use it.:yep: (Thanks for Your Review)

I had the JC N&S on my list but wonder how it compares to Qhemet Olive Oil & Honey?

And Yes, finger combing works wonders.

This time, I had a coupla' Knots & Tangles this time where hair had started wrapping around. It was murder. And I lost a few strands. I have to stay on top of that.:wallbash:

I think the biggest difference in the two is that JC is just butters and oils, while qhemet is a cream moisturizer. Cream moisturizers tend to make my ng loc up after a day or two if Im heavy into my stretch with a lot of ng.

blvilla23

Hawaiian Silky Miracle Worker 14-1
Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner
KeraCare Intensive Restorative Masque

Coconut Oil (keeps new growth soft)
Aussie Moist and V05 Cheapie Cons (co-washes)
Rusk Smoothers Leave In (creamy leave-in,great at helping me detangle)
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
Aubrey Organics GPB or Aphogee 2min Reconstructor (mild protein)

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I think the biggest difference in the two is that JC is just butters and oils, while qhemet is a cream moisturizer. Cream moisturizers tend to make my ng loc up after a day or two if Im heavy into my stretch with a lot of ng.

That's Good to Know. I will put JC back on my List.:look:

*sitting here applying my black and bossie*

iNicola

This is my first stretch ever (18 weeks post and aiming for 26 weeks) and what has been working for me thus far:

V05 condish - cowashing
Miss Keys 10 en 1 or Natural Keys - moisturizing DC (I do a home steam treatment 98% of the time)
Aphogee 2 min or Nexxus Keraphix - protein

Leave ins:
Chi Silk Infusion (always) - provides extra slippage while finger combing
I also use either NTM leave in or some V05 condish and coconut oil (when I remember to use this)

I use QP mango butter as my moisturizer but now that I'm further along I find that I have to spritz some water based moisturizer before applying it. I'm currently using John Frieda Daily Nourishment leave in spray but thinking for trying s-curl when I'm out.

ETA: I just saw that you asked for 3 - 5 products...oppps LOL

Last edited:

DarkHair

I stretch for twelve weeks at a time, considering longer. I use:
Elasta QP Mango Butter on my roots
John Frieda or CSI on my hair to detangle.
Aussie Moist 3 min deeep w/honey added as a deep conditioner
Growth aid and scalp massage (not rough or the ng will tangle)

I do:
ponytail rollersets to straighten roots and minimize flat-ironing

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Do You All That Use the Elasta QP Mango Butter to Soften Your NG See any Difference between the Old QP Mango Butter vs the New Formulation?

I've used the QP too. But I haven't bought any since they changed Companies.:perplexed

LushLox

I forgot I sometimes use Mango Butter too during the latter weeks in my stretch - it's great on my new growth, but weighs my hair down a bit, so I can only use it when I wear my hair up. I've got no idea if it's the new or old formulation though! :ohwell:

mzsophisticated26

Scurl is my #1 staple product keeps new growth very moisturized, ors replenshing helps make my hair soft and easy to detangle when I am about 8wks post, CHI silk infusion keeps my hair shiney a light after I get it flat iron. Also I wrap my hair at night which helps a lot.

Poranges

Positive Vibrations
I Have All 3 Of These! Will keep these in mind. Thanks:yep:

Even if you don't try anything else...I HIGHLY recommend you try the CCC treatment, especially if you have thick, coily 4a/4b hair like mine that is prone to severe matting and is hard to manage (NG that is).

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Even if you don't try anything else...I HIGHLY recommend you try the CCC treatment, especially if you have thick, coily 4a/4b hair like mine that is prone to severe matting and is hard to manage (NG that is).

Yeah......I have the Cream of Coconut Concentrate hmmm?:look: I have used it,as a DC but not at 10-12-14 weeks post.

Aggie

I am currently over 7 months into my year long relaxer stretch and I had a really hard time when I got to 5 months into it, then I decided to get proactive and do something about it.

The Things that Helped Me Stretch and Keep My New Growth In Tact Are:

1) Hot Oil treatments - the oils I found favorable are extra virgin olive oil and sweet almond oil. This is done sometimes before shampooing and sometimes after shampooing mixed in with my DC.

2) I also use a reconstructor weekly mostly as a prepoo on dry hair mixed with Lily Of The Desert Aloe Vera gel with heat for 20 - 30 minutes. It seems to work better for me this way because I don't have to manipulate it too much afterwards. I simply poo lightly then DC.

3) I find that shampooing less works for me as well. I shampoo about 2-3 times a month now and one of those would be a clarifying poo. I realize now though that I don't have to use a clarifying poo that often anymore because I have drastically reduced the usage of the amount of products with cones and parabens in them. I may have to stretch my clarifying to every 5 or 6 weeks for now.

4) I have also been coating my hair with oil and/or conditioner and adding a little natural oil to the shampoo before washing my hair. Wow, this is truly amazing and greatly reduces any stripping/drying feeling to my hair by the shampoo, especially natural shampoos which does make hair feel a little stripping.

5) Henna'ing my hair once every 3-4 weeks (except when I'm in extension braids) has also greatly loosen up my hair's curl pattern. Simply wonderful.

6) I deep condition with heat after every wash with a super moisturizing deep conditioner at least once every 7-10 days. I would do a moisturizing co-wash within that time frame as well. My new co-wash loves are Aussie Moist Conditioner and Pantene Nature Fusion Moisturizing conditioner.

Now you understand why I still have to use a clarifying shampoo every once in a while. Some things I just can't seem to give up:grin:. I will have to replace them sooner or later though with something a bit more natural and it will have to be with Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner of course. I really love this conditioner:lick:.

7) Like Terri, I lightly use a creamy leave-in and thanks to her, my new leave-in loves are Alba Botanica leave in and Beauty Without Cruelty (BWC) Revitalizing leave in. I also use Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner as a leave-in:lick:.

8) Daily moisturizing with BWC leave-in, for example, and sealing with extra virgin coconut oil helps a great deal.

Oh I have to add this: The BWC Revitalizing leave in makes an excellent detangler. It made detangling a breeze for me AFTER my hair air-dries. I just section off my hair a little at a time, add the leave-in, work through with my fingers and I could literally feel my hair softening under my fingers and as a result, it is now a staple. Try it!

What Products or Special Secret Recipe Helped You Endure a 8, 10, 12, 14, 20, 6 Months, A Year Stretch???

Already mentioned above but I have also been protective styling my hair via extension braids and wigs which have been extremely instrumental in my ability to get as far as I am right now.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Thanks Aggie:up: You've provided Detailed, Excellent, Valuable Information especially for Ladies that Desire to Stretch Long-Term.

Alot of those Steps will even be helpful for those of us tryna' make it to 12,14,16,18,20,24,30 weeks.

Glad those Products are working out for You too.:yep:

LushLox

Great tips Aggie! :yep:

I'm also going to get a small spray bottle and leave it at work so I can spray it on my hair during the day if it feels dry. I've just got to think about what to put in the bottle - the s-curl sounds good for a start. ;)