Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Unread 07-01-2009, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What is it with Nikos step children?

That's who I refer as non believers of this hair care journey we are all on. Everytime I mention LHCF to my older sister she almost cringes. She even told her hairdresser, and he says " Well let me look at her hair and I bet I can find 20 things wrong with it" Well sweetie no you're not! I wouldn't let him touch my hair. My sister is 100% natural and he blows her hair bone straight and it hasn't grown an inch in years ( it has but he's scissor happy). I have a problem when others knock you when you try to better yourself in some way, and I don't blame my sister, she didn't go to Beauty school and her hairdresser used to work for Jane Carter, need I say more. I love this board, and it's the only board I can get honest support and opinions about my hair. So, to all Nikos cousins kick those step children to the curb and grow on girl!!! Vent over.....
Unread 07-01-2009, 03:17 PM

Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default Re: What is it with Nikos step children?

Alot of people choose to stick with what they know even if its the wrong thing. I stopped telling people about this board a long time ago. My best friend relaxes and colors every 4 weeks and the only product she uses is Blue Magic hair grease. Her is breaking like crazy, she even several small bald spots. Well i gave her advice and even directed her to this board and she quickly dismissed it. Yet my hair is approaching Bsl and she's losing hers and she still won't listen. Oh well
Unread 07-01-2009, 03:17 PM

Thanked 12,474 Times in 2,306 Posts
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 17 Thread(s)

I hear ya sis. I had to vent a couple of weeks ago myself. You just need to keep caring for your hair, ignore the step children, and keep LHCF to yourself. When the same doubters come back and ask you for advice- let them know that you wouldn't want them to cringe by naming the supportive community that has contributed to your wonderful mane.

http://bodytressebeauty.blogspot.com/
Unread 07-01-2009, 03:21 PM

Thanked 14,337 Times in 2,361 Posts
Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Tagged: 34 Thread(s)

Well just let them stay bald you can take a horse to water but you cannot make them drink
Unread 07-01-2009, 03:24 PM

Thanked 1,223 Times in 316 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

I don't need to say much. My hair's continued growth and health serves as the best advertisement.

Last relaxer 2/2005 BC on 7/18/2006 http://public.fotki.com/semora/ Officially 9 years since my last relaxer! Current length: Hip length (siggy pics not current - will update soon)

Thanked 37,287 Times in 7,971 Posts
Mentioned: 370 Post(s)
Tagged: 20 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
Well just let them stay bald you can take a horse to water but you cannot make them drink
Bingo. I stopped caring about the step-chirren years ago.

Thanked 28,584 Times in 5,061 Posts
Mentioned: 848 Post(s)
Tagged: 26 Thread(s)

Don't mind them. Let your hair do the talking
Unread 07-01-2009, 03:26 PM

Thanked 4,066 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)

The people who laughed at me for co-washing 3-4 times a week, air drying, moisturizing and sealing in the beginning are the very ones that are now asking me to back up and explain what I am doing again......
Unread 07-01-2009, 03:28 PM

On an uplifting note, I told the woman that was ringing me up at Walgreens about this. She noticed I was transitioning, and she's in the middle of doing the same. I emailed her the link, and I hope she's using it. Like I told her, its good to have local support.

Hiya from Pandora if your lurkin!
Unread 07-01-2009, 03:40 PM

Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

I let those children fall by the wayside a long time ago, lol. I have no time for nay-sayers on my hair journey. It's TBL or bust for me .

P.S. If they have a legitimate interest in hair-care and aren't trying to insidiously mock me, I have no problem with helping people or telling them about LHCF.
Unread 07-01-2009, 04:06 PM

Thanked 4,172 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 24 Thread(s)

I think we all go through this stage when we first see results from LHCF where we wanna tell everyone everything and build them a regimen, tell them yours, etc. -- then they call us crazy nappy headed fools who are all gonna be bald in 6 months. We get our feelings hurt, try to figure out why they don't believe us, then just stop talking about LHCF altogether. Sometimes, if we are lucky, we may find a friend or family member who listens, or whose hair we elect to take care of, and they may become a believer, but that is it.

I am in the "I-don't-talk-about-it" phase. If someone asks me about my hair nowadays, especially if it is one of my relatives, I tell them I stopped using grease and started washing/DCing my hair once a week. They don't need to know anything else.
Unread 07-01-2009, 04:24 PM
♥♥ Circa 1 inch ♥♥

Thanked 4,027 Times in 1,295 Posts
Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 25 Thread(s)

I have suggested the hair boards for almost 2 years, but no one really listens. For me its my journey, and I am glad that we have so much support on our online communities..

I have friends who I have given great advise, but they refuse to take it.. so instead of getting frustrated, I just view it as their loss.
Unread 07-01-2009, 07:03 PM

I found this site because My sister and I suffer from Seborrhea, well since learning about co-washing and other great reggies I have NO MORE flakes. My sister HAS to wear bangs due to severe discoloration from flaking. As said before, I will do my own thang and show them you can grow African American hair long. Oh and then I will go to her hairdresser
Unread 07-01-2009, 08:06 PM

Tagged: 10 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Muffin* View Post
I let those children fall by the wayside a long time ago, lol. I have no time for nay-sayers on my hair journey. It's TBL or bust for me .

P.S. If they have a legitimate interest in hair-care and aren't trying to insidiously mock me, I have no problem with helping people or telling them about LHCF.
Precisely!!!
Unread 07-01-2009, 10:09 PM

Thanked 1,176 Times in 212 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

I stopped trying.
Unread 07-02-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusd View Post
That's who I refer as non believers of this hair care journey we are all on. Everytime I mention LHCF to my older sister she almost cringes. She even told her hairdresser, and he says " Well let me look at her hair and I bet I can find 20 things wrong with it" Well sweetie no you're not! I wouldn't let him touch my hair. My sister is 100% natural and he blows her hair bone straight and it hasn't grown an inch in years ( it has but he's scissor happy). I have a problem when others knock you when you try to better yourself in some way, and I don't blame my sister, she didn't go to Beauty school and her hairdresser used to work for Jane Carter, need I say more. I love this board, and it's the only board I can get honest support and opinions about my hair. So, to all Nikos cousins kick those step children to the curb and grow on girl!!! Vent over.....
Just curious - do tell...what's wrong with Jane Carter?
Unread 07-02-2009, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)

I told a woman about this site the other day because her 5 year old daughter is my hair twin. She thanked me and asked me again the precise forum name because she wants to grow her hair too. I was so happy. Hope she's here!
Unread 07-03-2009, 06:53 PM

Thanked 7,250 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 16 Thread(s)

I find that people only listen to you if you have a certain grade of hair. meaning....if your hair is a certain texture that they feel they dont have, they'll dismiss your progress and growth as that is just the type of hair that you have but they cant achieve since they dont have that texture. so I usually dont say anything.
Unread 07-03-2009, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

I think its a lot like dealing with alcoholics. You cant force them to get help, they have to make the first move. They have to want to change.

Same with hair, you can't give real hair advice to someone who isn't ready to "think outside the box (of relaxer)."

like the proverb says, "dont cast your pearls before swine."

challenges until dec 31st 2011
cowash wkly, oils, 2inchs4months, no heat
Unread 07-03-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusd View Post
No please do say more. I love her products but if there is shady business going on, I'd like to know. Espceially if Im spending my dollars.