Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2009, 07:41 PM

Thanked 1,582 Times in 392 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Default Braids: Is it Growing or Slipping?! How do you know?

I've had my braids a week and a half now, and my braids are already loose!!

I have fine hair, so I was thinking maybe the braid is slipping a little, but I have been using Bee Mine everynight, so that might be the culprit. This has happened before with my braids, but not so soon. How do you know if your hair is growing or just slipping out of the braid?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:55 PM

Thanked 3,695 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 72 Thread(s)
Default Re: Braids: Is it Growing or Slipping?! How do you know?

I used to wear braids a lot so I've been where you are and from my experience, it could be both, it probably is. Make sure you don't put too much oil in your roots at the base of the braid because it actually can cause slipping. If you want to moisturize, use a mixed spray but don't use your hands TOO much to apply moisturizers.

When I'd get braids, I'd usually wash and blowdry a bit and since im natural, i liked my hair thick and kinky before the install. My braider says it's better for her to grip instead of stick straight hair. If your hair was stick straight prior, it may be slipping just a tad, esp. if you've only had them in for a week. I may be wrong though, but good luck with the braids, they're fun.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:57 PM

Thanked 5,733 Times in 1,388 Posts
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)

ITA. Could be both, stay away from the oils at least the first few weeks. But you won't really be able to tell until you take one down and compare your growth.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Cor. 13:4-7
Old 06-13-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichi View Post
I used to wear braids a lot so I've been where you are and from my experience, it could be both, it probably is. Make sure you don't put too much oil in your roots at the base of the braid because it actually can cause slipping. If you want to moisturize, use a mixed spray but don't use your hands TOO much to apply moisturizers.

When I'd get braids, I'd usually wash and blowdry a bit and since im natural, i liked my hair thick and kinky before the install. My braider says it's better for her to grip instead of stick straight hair. If your hair was stick straight prior, it may be slipping just a tad, esp. if you've only had them in for a week. I may be wrong though, but good luck with the braids, they're fun.
I was wondering should I stay away from the oils. You know how oil Bee Mine, MTG, and BT are. But yeah I like my hait thick when I get my braids since my hair is so fine. I was like 4-6 weeks post when I got the kinky twists and It was a little puffy because I had just washed it. Hmm... I guess I won't know the answer until the end of July lol
Old 06-13-2009, 08:03 PM

Thanked 14,968 Times in 2,660 Posts
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 17 Thread(s)

Good post OP. I was in braids a few months back and using MT. I was wondering if I was experiencing growth or slippage as well.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beans4reezy View Post
Good post OP. I was in braids a few months back and using MT. I was wondering if I was experiencing growth or slippage as well.
I wish there was a way to know. I could tell someone to look at it, if the root part is dark brown, it's prolly new growth because I dyed my hair black like a month of two ago...but who knows! The suspense is killing me lol. (Lord, what am I gonna do, it hasn't even been 2 weeks and I miss my real hair lol)
Old 06-13-2009, 09:29 PM

Thanked 1,043 Times in 222 Posts
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 18 Thread(s)

OP I had this question as well but I did get my answer really quickly. I have been in braids for the past 3 weeks and I have over .5 inch new growth but at first I thought my braids were slipping until my DH made a comment about how grey my roots are and how I need to touch up my color (I had just did a henna treatment 2 weeks prior to getting my braids) so I know its not slippage but growth.