Oils That Penetrate the Hair Strand/Cortex!

Soliel185

I saw this info today and since this is a topic that's often debated here I thought I'd share.

Long story short - Coconut, Avocado, and Olive Oil penetrate the hair stand and moisturize/nuture from within. Mixing the oils together could possible intensify this effect. (guess what imma be doin later on. :look:)

Moisturing Hair Oils

During the previous discussion on the oh so wonderful coconut oil, LiLiMarie raised an important issue of allergies. I thought I'd move this into a post for others who may have a similar problem.

The alternatives to the moisturising power of coconut oil are olive oil or avocado oil. Both these oils do also penetrate into the cortex (Journal of Cosmetic Science, pg 169-184, 2001).

I personally like coconut oil because of its scent. I guess adding a few drops of a fragrant essential oil might steer me to olive oil.

Some scientists suggest (for those of you who do use coconut oil) that you can actually get more of an effect by mixing coconut oil and olive oil. I'm being a little bit lazy today and will send you over to thebeautybrains who have explained this quite well and actually did the research for me!

I'm building a research list for oils and so far I have jojoba oil, castor oil, olive oil, avocado oil and shea butter. If you want me to look up any others email me or leave a comment!

Here is another link about the benefits of Coconut Oil

1Aleeesha

What an "AHA Moment" this is... I've always felt like Olive oil felt moisturizing to my hair...

But all this that I hear... Oils don't penetrate they just seal...Blah Blah Blah...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks for the post!

prettyFine

oh really? i didn't know this. i thought they were all the same so i've been using 1.99 veggie oil. hey i didn't know.

yuriko

Thanks for posting this. I have tried arguing numerous times with different people that oils are not just sealants. In many countries women moisturize their hair and skin with coconut and olive oil, and its great for hair

newflowers

Rice bran is a good one. I also swear by camellia oil for hair and emu and/or squalane for skin. Any additional info on those?

Soliel185

i loveeeeeeeeee rice bran. I wonder about that one?

:yep: I noticed that rice bran was a key ingredient in a lot of high end conditioners like Aveda and started buying it straight.

I like to read ingredients for the expensive stuff, and then buy the main parts undiluted and experiment.

Soliel185

So I got the two where can I buy the avocado oil any store?

Thanks for the edumacation on this one. :yep:

I would think that lotioncrafters, or fromnaturewithlove with have it? Maybe even the supermarket if it's used to cook with.

I like using peanut oil as well - no idea why it works, but it makes my hair feel good and they sell it with all the other cooking oils.

Auburn

Wheat germ oil makes my hair feel silky.
It contains repairing ceramides too :yep:
That could also help retain moisture.

msa

I can't get with EVOO (though it's great for shaving your legs...and for detangling in a pinch) because it's a bit too greasy for me, and I've never tried avocado...but I LOVE coconut oil. I use it as conditioner now. It's great that way.

*Happily Me*

Great! I use a mixture of olive, avocado, grapeseed oils on my hair. I've only been using coconut oil on my face, but i'm going to add this to my mix going forward. :yep:

Lucia

Thanks for the info I think that monoi and jojoba could be added to the moisterising oils list too. I use monoi on my face and body right out fo the shower makes it soft and look like I used that shimmer stuff when I didn't. I used to use avocado oil but it's really heavy and thick.

Soliel185

Thanks for the info I think that monoi and jojoba could be added to the moisterising oils list too. I use monoi on my face and body right out fo the shower makes it soft and look like I used that shimmer stuff when I didn't. I used to use avocado oil but it's really heavy and thick.

Jojoba oil is actually a liquid wax. It's the closest in composition to human sebum, so it coats the hair strands and protects them, sealing moisture inside and helping prevent mechanical damage, but it does not penetrate the hair strand. It does have many benefits though, and it very good for the hair.

(this was discussed in the comments under this entry on the website I posted from :yep:)

MAMATO

Wheat germ oil makes my hair feel silky.
It contains repairing ceramides too :yep:
That could also help retain moisture.

Yeah right...Wheat germ oil is the best oil I've ever experimented with. It makes my hair so silky and does contain ceramides. It is way better than Coconut, olive and avocado oils. I am always wondering why nobody ever mentioned it on the board. You better try it ladies you won't regret it. But... it stinks:lachen:I always use it as a pre-poo, because I hate the smell.. Some of my friends like it though:yep:

toninatl

Yeah right...Wheat germ oil is the best oil I've ever experimented with. It makes my hair so silky and does contain ceramides. It is way better than Coconut, olive and avocado oils. I am always wondering why nobody ever mentioned it on the board. You better try it ladies you won't regret it. But... it stinks:lachen:I always use it as a pre-poo, because I hate the smell.. Some of my friends like it though:yep:

It can't be worse the Neem and I struggle through that every other week as a prepoo!!!!!

Eisani

I add fragrance oil to my wheat germ and broccoli seed oil because they both are funky. This last time I added gingerbread fragrance and it's very pleasant :yep:

morehairplease

thanks for sharing! I remember when Tracyee posted something similar to this on her blog/website and I started using the Nutiva coconut oil. I have not looked back since:yep:.

Auburn

It has a nutty smell to me. I dont use it as much as I should though.