Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2009, 09:44 PM

Thanked 15,115 Times in 2,048 Posts
Mentioned: 809 Post(s)
Tagged: 41 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is everyone going to reach Mid back or waist length hair EVENTUALLY???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonie View Post
The bold is not true since the length of the Anagen phase (that's the growing phase of the cycle) determines how long your hair can grow...and most people do not grow an inch a month. At the average growth rate of 1/2 an inch a month, someone's whose growth phase lasts only 2 years would have 12 inches of growth in that time before the hair started to shed. If they retained it all, that would mean they'd probably be at BSL, or very close for a tall person. So I think the realistic thing is to say, that unless there is ill health, at least BSL is possible for just about everyone...since 2 years is about the shortest an Anagen phase can last. Now if you are one of those lucky to have a 6-year-long Anagen phase or a faster growth rate, then you might be sitting on your hair in a few years.
I agree. Except I'd go further to say that, while the average growth rate is 1/2", not everyone's is. Some will be shorter so those people who have a slower growth rate and a shorter time period for growth will have the shortest hair. I'm also inclined to believe even the best regimen will lose some hair to breakage.

So my short answer to this question is "no".
Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is everyone going to reach Mid back or waist length hair EVENTUALLY???

No, I don't think so. No matter how much we would like to think so. Not only because some peoples hair grows slowly, but some people's scalp has problems that prevent their hair from growing long. I have people in my family with scalp problems. At one point their hair is growing, then it's breaking and shedding.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teja View Post
I am almost BSL now should be there in MAY(keeping my finger crossed)....But watching all you ladies with long full waist and mid back lengths makes me wonder.... you know I get anxious about my hair and feel like I will probably never have hair that long...so are we all destined to have hair that long...can everyones hair even grow that long....I know every persons hair on this forum is different and we all have different hair goals but ultimately I think we all want longer HEALTHIER hair!!!
It would be interesting to know if there are ladies on this board who actually did the best they can for YEARS and are still not at the length they want to be.....If there are please share!!
In answer to the general "are we all destined to have hair that long?" I'd have to say no not all, but I also believe that most ladies are capable of having at least MBL and longer. It is likely that a great percentage of those of us that don't believe that our hair can be that long actually can maintain those lengthts. When we have really and truly done our best for YEARS, then and only then can we know.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I would love to get to BS length.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:09 AM

I may be completely ignorant but, I've had a perm since I was in third grade until the time I was 25 and I don't remember not having new growth to perm. Are you saying that once you've reached your terminal hair length the hair just stops growing? Because I have never seen that.. Nor have I seen some hairs on my head that were permed straight at the root because those hairs has reached terminal hair growth while other hairs on my head had kinky new growth. I don't understand.
Ok just read through the thread. So supposedly once your hair strand reaches it's optimal terminal hair length it is shedded!? If all the hairs on your head were shed at different times, how can you ever find out what your terminal length is? How can you find out which part of the cycle your hair is on??

Last edited by lipyt; 03-25-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipyt View Post
I may be completely ignorant but, I've had a perm since I was in third grade until the time I was 25 and I don't remember not having new growth to perm. Are you saying that once you've reached your terminal hair length the hair just stops growing? Because I have never seen that.. Nor have I seen some hairs on my head that were permed straight at the root because those hairs has reached terminal hair growth while other hairs on my head had kinky new growth. I don't understand.
I personally think there is more to length than the hair that emerges from ones scalp. There are so many other things involved. The quality of that hair can be good or bad based on diet, hormones, sickness, age, etc. Its ability to stay on a person's head is varied. Then there is the enviroment and stress, etc that can effect it even more. And of course we all know about how care effects it.

I just think is is more involved.

Last edited by HoneyDew; 03-25-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:58 AM

Thanked 14,954 Times in 4,113 Posts
Mentioned: 512 Post(s)
Tagged: 137 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipyt View Post
Ok just read through the thread. So supposedly once your hair strand reaches it's optimal terminal hair length it is shedded!? If all the hairs on your head were shed at different times, how can you ever find out what your terminal length is? How can you find out which part of the cycle your hair is on??
The hair doesnt shed when it's reached a certain length. It sheds after a certain amount of time. The average growth phase is 2 to 6 years. So let's say one strand has a life of 6 yrs. After it has been growing for 6 years it will shed because it's reached the end of the cycle.

Now for those 6 years, that strand could be MBL or it could be BSL, or even SL. How much hair you retain during those 6 years will tell you how long it will reach. Your hair doesnt say ok I'm growing to BSL and then I'm done, it will grow for a certain time and depending on how well you have taken care of it for that amount of time, that is the length you will have.

Im not sure if you can figure out what part of the cycle your hair is on. It is safe to say when your hair is shed, it has reached the end of the cycle.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:02 AM

Thanked 14,954 Times in 4,113 Posts
Mentioned: 512 Post(s)
Tagged: 137 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyDew View Post
I personally think there is more to length than the hair that emerges from ones scalp. There are so many other things involved. The quality of that hair can be good or bad based on diet, hormones, sickness, age, etc. Its ability to stay on a person's head is varied. Then there is the enviroment and stress, etc that can effect it even more. And of course we all know about how care effects it.

I just think is is more involved.
I agree there are so many factors that affect hair growth. More than people realize.

Im very content if I dont make MBL just dont tell me I can't make APL
Old 03-25-2009, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I'm really trying to reach mbl to wsl unstretched...in my 3/4 natural hair state....

Yeah I really want this but sometimes I'm thinking can I really achieve that without straight hair...Im trying to stay positive...of course I can!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:26 PM

Thanked 2,157 Times in 653 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyDew View Post
I prefer to keep it real.

Not everyone is going to get it - even if they want it.
I'll agree with this on the premise that not acheiving it is largely due to mismanagement of hair causing breakage and the fact that all hair entually reaches a goal length. I do beleive that if you find a regimen that works to prevent breakage you can acheive more length than you normally do. Whether or not that is WSL who knows? But it's longer and that's okay.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 24 Thread(s)

Before finding LHCF, I didn't think I could ever have hair past SL.
Now that I am almost BSL (or BSL if I stretch my hair, but I'm not going to claim it yet), I do believe that I can reach midback length.
My original goal was BSL, because I thought that would be hard to achieve in itself, but its only been a year and I've reached APL twice (after a big trim) and I'm very close to BSL.
NOW I'M GOING FOR MBL .

I think everyone can achieve MBL/WL with the work it takes and dedication.
For me, growing my hair has been quite time consuming and a lot of effort, but well worth it all.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:43 PM

Thanked 9,659 Times in 1,908 Posts
Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 37 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCoverGirl View Post
I am beginning to believe this. My niece who is half-Asian has the slowest growing hair I have ever encountered(I meantioned Asian because it dispells my previous belief that Asian hair grows at the speed of light).

She got her hair cut to the top of her neck in May of last year and it's currently at the bottom of her neck. She's had no trims, her hair stays moisturized, it's not damaged...it just grows sloooooowwwwww.

She's only 8 so she can reach wsl eventually, but I really do believe that some people's hair grows slow...wether it's due to growth cycles or unknown phenomenons.

My step daughter is the same way..she will be 8 next week...I have been knowing her for almost 7 years and I swear her hair has only grown an inch or two if that..although her mother hasn't done the best caring for her hair, I think it still would have grown more. She was born premature and I always wondered if that had something to do wth it. Like maybe her hair follicles didnt develop the way they should have or something.

Loving my natural hair!

Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, let go of what you cannot change.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:49 PM

[quote=locabouthair;7415801]The hair doesnt shed when it's reached a certain length. It sheds after a certain amount of time. The average growth phase is 2 to 6 years. So let's say one strand has a life of 6 yrs. After it has been growing for 6 years it will shed because it's reached the end of the cycle.

Now for those 6 years, that strand could be MBL or it could be BSL, or even SL. How much hair you retain during those 6 years will tell you how long it will reach. Your hair doesnt say ok I'm growing to BSL and then I'm done, it will grow for a certain time and depending on how well you have taken care of it for that amount of time, that is the length you will have.

Im not sure if you can figure out what part of the cycle your hair is on. It is safe to say when your hair is shed, it has reached the end of the cycle.[/quote]
OOh I get it. The only way one could tell their terminal hair time would be to not trim and completely protect their hair for atleast 6 years. That would tell you how long your hair can grow. Got it.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 11 Thread(s)

" i think i can ..... i think i can.. i think i can!!!!" lol
Old 04-19-2010, 03:19 PM

I'm hopeful!!!

My mom's hair grows like grass. We have to keep cutting it because it grows too fast, but she has bone straight hair so maybe that's the reason? Or, the fact that she does nothing to her hair, and it still grows ALOT!

My hair grows at a steady rate (I don't have bone straight hair) but if I start touching it too much it starts to break and that's the end of that story ---> wind up cutting off inches and inches of new growth.

My sister's hair used to grow really fast and was very thick and healthy. But, the results of a bad relaxer a few years ago (before she went natural), took out all of her hair in the middle of her head to the forehead (like a reverse mohawk - it was horrible!), plus blood pressure meds, and her hair still grows, but alot slower (and shorter) these days.

Long story short . . . I think we all can attain long hair, but for some it's really easy, and the rest of us -- well, for me at least --- I need to work on my patience because I want mid back length/hip length by summer 2010 (YEAH RIGHT!)

I agree with the other posters, hereditary, health, stress, playing with our hair too much, not using the right products, etc. can all aggravate or retard our hair growth. But, I'm still hopeful!!

Oh, and one last thing. I knew a guy who used 'Dawn - Dishwashing Liquid' on his hair which he washed 1x/week and he had long, beautiful flowing hair. Go figure!
Old 04-19-2010, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I won't...I'm too short and too impatient...

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Seuss
Old 04-19-2010, 03:34 PM

Thanked 14,997 Times in 2,664 Posts
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 17 Thread(s)

I don't k now about everyone, but I know for me, I will go down trying to make MBL...
Old 04-19-2010, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I know it's my plan to be WL by 2012. So I'm hoping the odds are in my favor.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:19 PM

Thanked 5,746 Times in 1,391 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 16 Thread(s)

To paraphrase MLK I have a dream that one day....... You get my meaning.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Cor. 13:4-7
Old 04-19-2010, 08:22 PM
ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ

Thanked 3,072 Times in 642 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 32 Thread(s)

i agree with honeydew. everybody don't have it like that... but thats okay. its not the end of the world. ♥