Good diet and regular exercise DOES aid hair growth!

Butterfly08

Well ladies I FINALLY made BSL! It took almost a year after APL (almost THREE YEARS TOTAL from SL) and my hair just seemed stuck (I was getting LESS than 1/2 inch per month). :ohwell: Well within the past 3 months it seemed like I got a crazy growth spurt. I have been BSL now for almost 3 months, and this is during an 18 week stretch, so when I relax I may be even longer! :drunk:

I thought about what I have been doing differently during this time period. Well I've been doing low heat for the past several years, so no change there. I have been stretching my relaxers but I started doing that 1.5 years ago, still no change. I have been cowashing and wearing PS since last summer, so again no change.

The only change is that I started Pinkskates winter challenge and was consistently eating 5 f/v's a day and working out an average of 6 days a week. During this same period I achieved a growth spurt!!!!

Maybe it was a coincidence, but I choose to believe the healthy lifestyle had a lot to do with it. :yep: I don't use growth aids or vitamins, nothing else. So this is really exciting. I think I will add a vitamin to my regimen though. :scratchch

I'm relaxing in 2 weeks so I'll do a separate updates thread then. But for the folks who want proo....eh pics :lol: I will update this thread with my hair wet later this week when I cowash. :yep: It's the best way to show my length with these puffy roots. :grin:

ETA: Here are some unofficial growth shots. I'll do a separate thread in 2 weeks when I get my touch up....I was 19 weeks post and I blow dried and flat ironed. It's not really styled well...

Last edited:

SmartyPants

Good to know... because I have been slowly upping my exercise (for weight loss purposes) so if it has an additional effect on my hair all the better. I have been thinking about adopting a KISS routine after I finish off the growth aids I currently have because I am pretty sick of putting the growth aids on my scalp every night. So, it is good to know I can get mad growth without them by doing things I should be doing anyway.

SouthernDimps

I've noticed the same thing! My hair used to grow so quickly in high school when I ran cross-country and track and ate the healthy food that my mom prepared. Once I got to college, I noticed that my hair wasn't growing as fast. This year I've returned to my exercise and eating habit from high school and my roots are sprouting every day! :)

sydwrites

Congrats, I noticed last fall when I got back on my diet/exercise regimen that I got a growth spurt. You are giving yourself the good vitamins the natural way and stimulating your scalp with the exercise. You're definately not imagining it, now I have to keep telling myself that as my gym card is starting to collect dust, lol.

TemiLnd

Yes I agree with this. When Im up on my exercise, my hair grows really well. Expecially when Im in braids and washing every 2/3 days. major growth...

Kay.Dee

You're right. During my transition I had some pretty good growth, I also happened to be working at a gym and worked out for an hour instead of taking a lunch break. I ate so much healthier too.

Well those days are long gone and my hair is just inching along now.

wheezy807

Congratz on making BSL! You and your hair are gorgeous! Can't wait for your update thread with pics!

ScarletPhoenix

If hair growth doesn't motivate me to exercise then nothing will....I have been walking lately though so I just got to get my eating habits together

blackbarbie

You are absolutely right; the increased circulation will stimulate your hair follicles. And guess what else? If you are eating your small 5-6 meals per day and incorporating the right amount of protein in the overall grand scheme of things, this will only boost your growth even more!

Butterfly08

You are absolutely right; the increased circulation will stimulate your hair follicles. And guess what else? If you are eating your small 5-6 meals per day and incorporating the right amount of protein in the overall grand scheme of things, this will only boost your growth even more!

This is so encouraging. :yep: I had slipped off the bandwagon a little but now I am even more determined to stay on track. :yep: I worked out for 42 min today and I ate all 5 of my f/v's. :yep:

hairdrama:{

Definitely!!

I swear by my exercise routine and healthy diet (plus supplements because I’m anemic). It never fails, I always see an improvement. For my last TU, mi new growth was killing me at 10 wks and I relax faithfully at 12 wks. I love the feeling I get when I know (and see results) that doing good for my physique, hair, skin, nails and overall health...:)

hillytmj

Congrats! If you're BSL now and 18 weeks post, you may actually be midback length.

But, yes, exercise does make your hair grow! I've experienced that in the past.

Pooks

I totally agree with OP. At the weekend I watched a video of a church event about 4 years ago and I was going gaga over my hair, it was so beautiful and longer than it is now.

How did I allow myself to regress to neck length?!?! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Anyway, I was trying to think, and around the same time I was a little exercise machine, getting seriously sweaty at least 3/4 times per week. I'm def goin back to regular exercise...

Last edited:

MummysGirl

Congratulations.

I noticed the exact same thing, my new growth these past 12.5 weeks since my last relaxer is more than what it was in the same amount of time a year and a half ago when I was getting less exercise and eating anything, anytime.

Yea, when I was losing weight for the military my hair grew like no other, but then I wasn't take my vitamins, and not eating enough, and starting losing more calories, and not putting in nutrition, and my hair started thinning, but now I know what to do and what not to do.....

Butterfly08

Congrats!

Diet and exercise does help. I know my hair grows slowly because I dont eat that well but I still cant it together..

Definitely!!

I swear by my exercise routine and healthy diet (plus supplements because I’m anemic). It never fails, I always see an improvement. For my last TU, mi new growth was killing me at 10 wks and I relax faithfully at 12 wks. I love the feeling I get when I know (and see results) that doing good for my physique, hair, skin, nails and overall health...:)

Wow, you guys have the SAME avatar and posted right on top of each other! :lol:

Galadriel

Congrats! I totally agree with you :yep:
A well-balanced diet and exercise (and lots of water) really does aid in the growth and overall health of the hair.

Nice Lady

Thanks for doing this post about exercising, it makes so much sense prior to my HJ, I would exercise like a mad woman combined with fruits and vegetables and my hair was growing out of control versus, my roommate that exercised and didn't care about diet. I have to get on the diet part. It makes sense, in the summer, I eat right and the hair spurts. Thanks again.

PinkSkates

Congratulations!!! :dance7:I'm so happy for you! I admire your tenacity...you were one of my challengers that always stood out from the crowd.:yep: I admire your dedication to your hair and body fitness!

hairdrama:{

Wow, you guys have the SAME avatar and posted right on top of each other! :lol:

:lachen: I’ve noticed this before and it’s kind of a funny feeling ‘cause I’m like………”ok! I know I haven’t posted on this thread……….:look:” to realize ‘”Opps it’s Loca……..:lachen: