Ultimate Moisturizing via Strategic Sealing (Chicoro's suggestion)

FtrDrO

Chicoro (shout out to you!! ) recommends that one seals/moisturizes the hair by following this order
-water based moisturizer
-oil based moisturizer
-thick emulsified moisturizer

Does anyone follow this method or layer up moisturizers in another way? What product combo do you use?

I haven't followed exactly, but I found that glycerine/avj/water mix, followed by NTM silk touch, & and an oil works well for me.

Fhrizzball

I do a water base then a creamy base cause it always penetrates better and then throughout the week I use a water base. I haven't tried any oil bases though or even butters so it's not perfect.

HeChangedMyName

Chicoro (shout out to you!! ) recommends that one seals/moisturizes the hair by following this order
-water based moisturizer
-oil based moisturizer

Does anyone follow this method or layer up moisturizers in another way? What product combo do you use?

I haven't followed exactly, but I found that glycerine/avj/water mix, followed by NTM silk touch, & and an oil works well for me.
hmmmm, makes sense. I do this on my kids skin. First the cheapie baby lotion to make them smell all good, then the oatmeal lotion to draw in the moisture, followed by coconut oil.

Never considered trying this on my hair

morehairplease

-water based moisturizer
-oil based moisturizer

thanks for sharing. I have never tried this but will try it to see how it works for my hair.

ETA: Ladies could you give me examples of 'thick emulsified moisturizers'?
thanks in advance

Last edited:

La Colocha

thanks for sharing. I have never tried this but will try it to see how it works for my hair.

thanks in advance

I was thinking the same thing, Maybe like a butter or a heavier moirsturizer but im not sure.

newflowers

I use a similar process that I learned here. Spray with phytomist (water based), apply phyto7 (creamy), seal with camellia oil. This works like a dream for moisturizing my hair.

FtrDrO

thanks in advance

She says that this includes things as buttercremes, petroleum, shea butter, etc. I guess heavy moisturizes/sealants. HTH

Chameleonchick

I kinda do this

14n1 (water based)
Mango butter and a hair butter I made (oil based)
Then seal with an oil blend I have made or castor oil

LisaLisa1908

What 40 looks like.
Yup, I'm doing this now:

-watered down moisturizing conditioner
-NTM silk touch
-seal with aloe vera oil

My hair is VERY soft and has lots of slip, plus I only had four strands in the comb when I pulled my bun together today. I'm thrilled.

chebaby

that sounds like a lot of product to me.
when i wet bun i guess i do something similar. i spray a water based leave in, then a creamy leave in, then seal with oil.

but on dry hair through the week i just moisturize with a water based moisturizer and then seal with an oil.

cutiepiebabygirl

I normally moisturize with 14n1...then i mix castor oil or glycerin with africa's best herbal oil..and my hair is oh so soft all day! I only have to moisturize & seal once a day!

malachi74

here's mine:
1. water
2. coconut oil
3. Sabino

...oh, i do this only after every wash and DC which is 2-3x a week.

Last edited:

larry3344

Can you ladies give me an example of your moisturizing regimen on a daily basis, meaning is do you do -what chicoro recomended-everyday or is it only after a poo wash?? TIA

FtrDrO

Can you ladies give me an example of your moisturizing regimen on a daily basis, meaning is do you do -what chicoro recomended-everyday or is it only after a poo wash?? TIA

I think, if I remember, this is more of a wash day regimine. Doing it everyday might lead to much to much buildup. I think if done with the correct products, the moisture should last for awhile.

sweetwhispers

I do this often , i use glycerine rosewater, then my Always natural leave in oil mosituriser/elasta QP recovery then shea butter.

ladytee2

If this is just a after wash routine then what do you use for daily moisture?
Water based moisturizer, oil based moisturizer or thick emulsified moisturizer or a combo of maybe 2? I think I will try the thick emulsified and seal with the oil for daily use.

Denise11

I use a water based leave-in followed by an oil (jojoba or jojoba butter).

This is exactly what I do, too. All of those layers is way too much product for my hair. I couldn't do that.

I use a water based leave-in, followed by Coconut oil.

danigurl18

I did the layering for the first time last night and my hair is so soft and moisturized today.. it's definately a keeper!