Growing out a layered cut

caress

I have a layered haircut where the longest length touches my shoulder blades and the shortest lengths are about chin length. My edges are a little shorter than this. Some of this is due to some breakage. I'm trying to gow my hair out to one length or pretty close. I don't expect my edges to be as long but I'd like to grow them out too. How long should I give myself to do this and where do I start?

Every week I wash and condition my hair and add a leave-in/heat protectant and a moisturizer. Then, I blowdry my hair with a comb attachment. I try to use it on low but when i have a lot of new growth I may use more heat. Then I flatiron my ends because they are a little curly even with a relaxer. If I have a lot of new growth, I use the flatiron on my roots too.

I use a protein conditioner every week for a few weeks before my touch-up and the week after. I don't get my touch-ups on regular intervals so I usually end up getting them every 12-15 weeks (no trim included usually). I want to get one next week because I'm going to a wedding this Friday. That will be 10 weeks. I'm thinking about getting a poytail hair piece and wearing that for a week or two. This way, no heat will be used on my hair. I don't no how to do wet sets. If I got them done I'd have to go to the salon.

Any ideas on how I should proceed?

G

Just let it grow until it gets to a length that you feel comfortable in cutting it even. I am going through the same. It seems like the layers are taking forever. I want longer layers but this one stylist keeps cutting me hair too short.

inthepink

My suggestion would be instead of skipping trims to get regular trims. Make sure they trim a little less on the shortest layer (or none at all) while trimming the longest layer. I've known people to grow out layers this way. I've also had my hair short in the front and long in the back many time and I always grew it out this way - with gradual trims.

SingingStar12

I'm growing out my layers and I get my ends trimmed every 2 or 3 months. I trim the bottom layer the most.

H

honey_jammz82

I used the fake pony's to grow out my sides and layers, it worked well...your routine sounds good!

caress

I misspoke. My shortest layer is about mid neck-length. The last time I paid any attention it was chin length.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I guess the answer is obvious but I always like to have a detailed plan of action.

HollyGolightly

i have layers, and they are the worst. my hair grows in a weird, off center v shape in the back that annoys the heck outta me. do y'all think that i should just cut the uneven "tail" off? i'm kinda hesitant b/c if i even it up, my hair will be barely shoulder length. but then again, i think the v shape is ugly...

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
Keisha_gurl said:
i have layers, and they are the worst. my hair grows in a weird, off center v shape in the back that annoys the heck outta me. do y'all think that i should just cut the uneven "tail" off? i'm kinda hesitant b/c if i even it up, my hair will be barely shoulder length. but then again, i think the v shape is ugly...

[/ QUOTE ]

your hair will eventually grow back the same way. i did the same thing when i got a blunt cut, and the stem came right back.

Neith

I have similar layers. My longest layer is collarbone and my shortest is just a little bit more than chin.

I'm letting my hair grow until my shortest layers reach APL, then I will get a better cut.