Do you know how to make ayurvedic oil infusions?

Neith

Do the homemade ones smell better? I have a really sensitive nose, so I'm a little wary of just ordering the oil ready made.

Is it possible to use the powders to make your own oil? Would it smell any better?

I want to make some neem oil and maybe other types too.

adw425

I have made lots of oil infusions, but only made shikakai and neem ayurvedic oils by infusion and yes they smell better. I just add the powder into one of my muslin herb baggies or, before I had those, which cost like 20 cents each from the place I order my cut and sifted herbs and powders, I used the foot of a pair of pantyhose and tied it off. I put whatever oil I am using to infuse (usually it is an olive and coconut oil combo) into my 16 ounce potpourri crock pot and just infuse the herbs into the oil for at least four hours.

Lucky's Mom

I have made lots of oil infusions, but only made shikakai and neem ayurvedic oils by infusion and yes they smell better. I just add the powder into one of my muslin herb baggies or, before I had those, which cost like 20 cents each from the place I order my cut and sifted herbs and powders, I used the foot of a pair of pantyhose and tied it off. I put whatever oil I am using to infuse (usually it is an olive and coconut oil combo) into my 16 ounce potpourri crock pot and just infuse the herbs into the oil for at least four hours.

This is what I do. I don't want to use mineral oil...So I have to make my own.

cutiebe2

I may try this to make some Amla oil or just buy a more expensive brand. Anyone know of a good site to get these non-mineral oil infusions?

Rain20

Are you saying you just pop the herbs in the pantyhose and put that in the oil and let sit? So you get enough of the herbs/powder in the oil this way?

Can you put the herbs/powder in the oil and then pour both through cheesecloth or similar cloth and get the same effect?
Thanks.

Dee Raven

I made one for a body oil. I boiled sesame oil on medium heat, just until it began to steam, then I threw orange peel, cloves, cinnamon, ginger root right into the oil. Let it sit 48 hours, but that's just because I went out of town, you can do it for 24. Then I filtered the oil back into its original jar using a coffee strainer. I've read that you can also use double layered cheesecloth. It smells so good. But obviously, I was putting different things in mine. Good luck.

Essensual

I'm loving the sound of this. My mixologist "spidey senses" are going crazy! Post your fav oil infusion recipe and tell us how you use it, please. TIA.

msa

I really want to just mix some amla powder with my coconut oil (since I don't have any way to make a real infusion). But I don't know if that would work.

poookie

ooh, great timing, i did this 2 weeks ago!

i love Dabur Amla Oil, but I found out that the base was mineral oil, so I wanted to make a more healthful alternative. I mixed up the following:

12 ounces of Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
3 heaping tablespoons (i wanted a really heavy infusion) of Hesh Amla Powder
1 tablespoon of Tulsi powder (totally optional)
i also sprinkled in some Henna powder, since i was trying to get rid of it :lol:

i used a small crock pot & melted the oil, then mixed in the powder, and let it all "cook" on high for 2 hours, and then on low for another 2.

Hesh brand powders are sifted veeeery finely, so you'll need either 3 - 4 pairs of pantyhose to strain it through, or you'll just need to let the powder sediment fall to the bottom of the crock once it cools, & then pour the oil off of the top. whatever container you store the oil in, the sediment will naturally fall to the bottom, so don't worry too much about straining it fully.

my end result? a very earthy smelling healthy herbal oil! since the base i used was coconut oil, it still solidifies at around 70 degrees Fahrenheit. but the oil is a brownish slightly greenish color, and it smells coconutty & slightly fruity (like the amla powder). i really like the smell of this stuff on my hair.

i love oil infusing!

here are some mixes i want to try next:

rose powder & sweet almond oil
lemon powder & coconut oil

jamaraa

Infusions are easy. Sterilize your jars/tops (ie boil them) and let cool. Simplest yet slow method...take herb and oils, put them in a jar and let them sit for a few weeks (always keep your herb fully covered). Shake every so often.

For a quick infusion. Take your herb and whatever oil(s) are your carrier. Put them in jars and put them in a roasting pan. Fill the pan halfway up the height of the jars w/ water and put it in on a warm temp (maybe 300 F or so) and let it cook for a few hours (the longer, the stronger). Turn off the oven and let it completely cool.

When ready to use the oil from either method...get some cheescloth, a funnel and pour off what oil you need into containers for use. (You return your filtered herb to the main jar) You can leave the rest of the herb in the oil rather than filtering it all at once, but make sure the herb is always covered. If you want, you can add some vit E for a preservative. Keep your jars airproof and shake every so often.

Presto...infused oil! :)

Last edited:

jamaraa

Do the homemade ones smell better? I have a really sensitive nose, so I'm a little wary of just ordering the oil ready made.

Is it possible to use the powders to make your own oil? Would it smell any better?

I want to make some neem oil and maybe other types too.

Hi Neith...

Neem will stink regardless, but perhaps less so at home. I've never made neem. I just deal w/ the powder.

The smell of these oils really depends on what you're infusing and what carrier you use. Some will stink cuz they just stink. Infusions in olive oil seem to stink more than in a more neutral oil like jojoba, grapeseed, or sesame. If you don't like the smell of coocnut or sesame, go for grapeseed or jojoba.

See my instructions on how to do it fast OR slow. :yep:

jamaraa

i love Dabur Amla Oil, but I found out that the base was mineral oil, so I wanted to make a more healthful alternative. I mixed up the following:

i also sprinkled in some Henna powder, since i was trying to get rid of it :lol:

i used a small crock pot & melted the oil, then mixed in the powder, and let it all "cook" on high for 2 hours, and then on low for another 2.

Hesh brand powders are sifted veeeery finely, so you'll need either 3 - 4 pairs of pantyhose to strain it through, or you'll just need to let the powder sediment fall to the bottom of the crock once it cools, & then pour the oil off of the top. whatever container you store the oil in, the sediment will naturally fall to the bottom, so don't worry too much about straining it fully.

my end result? a very earthy smelling healthy herbal oil! since the base i used was coconut oil, it still solidifies at around 70 degrees Fahrenheit. but the oil is a brownish slightly greenish color, and it smells coconutty & slightly fruity (like the amla powder). i really like the smell of this stuff on my hair.

i love oil infusing!

Use jars and water (ie a bain maire) in the crockpot too, if you want. It'll be easier than having to get the oil out of the pot itself. I worry about someone getting hurt dealing w/ the oil-crockpot scenerio.

msa

Infusions are easy. Sterilize your jars/tops (ie boil them) and let cool. Simplest yet slow method...take herb and oils, put them in a jar and let them sit for a few weeks (always keep your herb fully covered). Shake every so often.

Now this sounds like something I can do. I can just mix them together and let them sit for a few weeks? I think I'll try this...now I have to find some amla powder out here. I know it'd be cheaper from an Indian store than if I ordered it.

poookie

Use jars and water (ie a bain maire) in the crockpot too, if you want. It'll be easier than having to get the oil out of the pot itself. I worry about someone getting hurt dealing w/ the oil-crockpot scenerio.

the jars are a great idea. i dang near almost burnt my hands off trying to pour the oil from the stoneware into a measuring cup for straining :lol: i don't know WHY i didn't just get a cooking syringe and suck it out! thanks for the suggestion :yep:

jamaraa

MSA it works fine....just find a dark fairly warmish place to store it and shake it every so often. Easy Peasey.

Pookie whatever method you use,please let it COMPLETELY cool before handling it. Oil burns are NO fun.

BTW, if you have very fine herbs and you like a bit of "grit" in your mixes, just pour it carefully into the container you plan to use it from. :)

jamaraa

In hot summer you can simply put your jars outside for a day or so. Covering the jars w/ sand helps hold in the heat, but you can do it w/o sand to. This year I found the summer a bit too cold to do it.

Ltown

Greyland

For a quick infusion. Take your herb and whatever oil(s) are your carrier. Put them in jars and put them in a roasting pan. Fill the pan halfway up the height of the jars w/ water and put it in on a warm temp (maybe 300 F or so) and let it cook for a few hours (the longer, the stronger). Turn off the oven and let it completely cool.

When ready to use the oil from either method...get some cheescloth, a funnel and pour off what oil you need into containers for use. (You return your filtered herb to the main jar) You can leave the rest of the herb in the oil rather than filtering it all at once, but make sure the herb is always covered. If you want, you can add some vit E for a preservative. Keep your jars airproof and shake every so often.

Presto...infused oil! :)
Oh my I'm off to make some ayurvedic oils this weekend. If I can do this right I'll save so much money:grin: You have been around here for a while but I've never seen your previous post. I'm enjoying your breath of knowledge I've been doing ayurvedic powder challenge for about a year now. Always open to learn more thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

jamaraa

Why thank you. I take frequent and very long breaks, but if you search me I've done lots of veda posts last year before you joined. Hope they help some.

ladybuddafly

I wanna start doing this and am wondering where to get canning jars because I plan on making quite a few infusions. Anyone know where I find them? Also, has anyone ever worked with ginger oil? Not the essential oil.

lalla

I prefer to use heat when I make infusions. I find that the oils have more scent that way and probably more properties as well. It is better to use an oil that doesn't get rancid fast, and to add some vitamin E just in case.
Some oils to use are coconut oil, olive oil, rice bran oil, jojoba oil. The shelf life of your infusions will be at most that of the oil you used.
I use clean glass jars.

Put the herbs in a jar, then cover with oil. Put the jar in a pan with water, put on low heat for half an hour. Let cool, strain, add some new herbs to the oil and do it again. My infusions are most concentrated this way.

HTH

*Muffin*

I'm interested in making ayurvedic oil infusions. I would love to use them for my prepoos :yep:. I would like to use Safflower oil (it's cheap and relatively good for your hair). I want to make an Amla and Brahmi combo infusion, and then an individual Hibiscus infusion :lick:.

morehairplease

great thread ladies! I am looking into ayurvedic hair remedies for my seborrheic dermatitis and this thread will definitely come in handy.

princesskaha

i love oil infusing!

this is very helpful, but do you have a recipe for mahabhringraj oil? I've been searching high and low to no avail...TIA!