seborrheic dermatitis

Phoenix14

I was recently diagnosed with this. Does anyone have this? How are you handling it? What if anything were you prescribed to treat it? Are there any natural options to treatment?
TIA

adf23

I have this- Nizoral shampoo works wonders- I dilute some with water in a color applicator bottle, apply to my scalp and let it sit for about 20 min before I wash. If I do this once a month or so, I don't have to worry about that gross scaling on my scalp :wallbash:

awhyley

Holy crap, I just started a new thread on this.

*goes to delete thread that I started*

ETA: Went to the skin doc last week, and was prescribed an ointment called Advantan I believe. He also told me to wash my hair with shampoos that have tar in them, . . . tar of all things. Apparently, it helps with eliminating the buildup. I was told that this is caused due to the oil glands not producing enough, leaving the scalp (that's where mine is), dry and itchy.

The shampoo I'm using is a called TarMed. I can't believe it because I can't do anything with my hair (perms, straightening, nothing), until this infection is cleared up. :nono:

Last edited:
I had flair ups for years and then my honey bought me Neutrogena T-gel. I had to shampoo twice a week for about a month then it completely cleared up. Now I use it maybe once every other month. The key for me was to keep my scalp well hydrated and clean. I cannot use grease or anything on my scalp without problems. I also daily condition wash and rinse well which seems to help.

isawstars

I have it. It used to flare up really bad in the winter and summer. Otherwise it's not bad as long as i shampoo regularly (1x weekly). I have a medicated shampoo but I haven't used it in almost 2 years now. I've found that rosemary oil (known to ward off dandruff) and peppermint oil mixed with my MT oils/in prepoo conditioner has kept my dry patches at bay! And I use Kera Care's dry & itchy scalp shampoo and conditioner every other wash.

It's no longer an issue for me! I suggest doing a little research about what natural oils or products help prevent dry/itchy scalp and dandruff. I know it's not really dandruff just scaly flakes from your scalp but things that help with dandruff can also help with the flakes... like rosemary oil and lavender oil. I recommend adding it in your prepoo or deep condition over night with it 2x a week. Or if you like to put oil on your scalp use it on your scalp regularly, but mix it with other oils. Don't use essential oils without diluting/mixing it.

I hope you manage to get it under control! I hope I helped some!

Last edited:

MD_Lady

I do. My dermatologist prescribed a betamethasone ointment, which I've been using nightly for the past several months. NOTHING has worked to end my breakage quite like this. :yep: I think there are multiple ways to treat it because I know other people who've had to use special shampoos, but this isn't part of my treatment.

nicki6

The most inexpensive remedy I've found is taking a tablespoon of flaxseed oil daily keeps the flareups away. I take Spectrum brand. I tried to use pills but they didn't work at all.

You may also want to ask your derm for a prescription of Luxiq. Its a foam steriod and clears up flares within a day or two. Its applied to the scalp easily with your fingers or straight from the pump.

Romey

I have it too. Mine flares up more so in the winter. I've been presribed lotions, shampoos, and ointments, but nothing helps my scalp like Sulfur 8 grease. My flare ups are also a result of stress. So I try to decompress when I come home from work , and exercise, when possible, to help with stress relief.

Patricia

Just posted this on another thread today with same topic

Hello I've had the same problem for years. Basically dandruff on my face. The medication the give you really works. The shampoo nizoral is very good but you have to condition like crazy. I havent been using prescriptions lately. What I have been doing is using products to discourage the scaling around my nose, eyebrows and scalp. I have a skincare regimine using noxema mixed with a quarter size amount of glycerin and castor oil. I leave this on my face for 10 min. Afterwards I moisturize with johnsons baby lotion(pink bottle) I stopped using toothpaste cause a dermatolist said the whiting formula is not good for your skin. I use baking soda and gargle with peroxide. Since I started this regimine my face has been clear and free of breakouts. Remember that you have oily skin. Although you may think otherwise. That was my problem using products for the wrong skintype.
I know thats a lot of information but this turned my skin problems around. Hope I'm not leaving anything out.
I do have a skincare album in my fotki

mspm

I've suffered with this all my life. My doctor had me on Nizoral and a steroid (scalp liquid), but thanks to LHCF I've found my cure - Sulfur Oil. I decided to use Nurse's recipe (thanks Nurse!) as an alternative to the smelly MTG. I was trying to get longer hair, but what I got was a healed scalp. I love this board!!!

graceunderfire

I have this as well. My doctor told me to use Nutrogena T-Gel and he gave some samples he had n his office of clobetasol foam as well as some other types of foam (names escape now).

I came on here and someone suggested that I use a sulfur 8/MN mix twice daily. I use the mix at least once a day (trying to get to the 2x daily, though). I haven't had any flare-ups.

Too bad I lost some hair before I found this remedy. Anyways, I hope you find what works for you.

Ronda123

I also suffer from this--for me, flare ups are worse during the winter time. I have used Nizoral, Neutrogena T-gel shampoo, Selsun Blue, Kera Care's dry & itchy scalp shampoo and conditioner, tea tree oil and peppermint oil--I know I have used other products as well. :spinning: What is currently working for me is alternating between Nizoral and Neutrogena T-gel shampoo and keeping my hair/scalp moisturized. Thanks for mentioning the sulfur oil OP; I will have to revisit this oil.

Phoenix14

I've suffered with this all my life. My doctor had me on Nizoral and a steroid (scalp liquid), but thanks to LHCF I've found my cure - Sulfur Oil. I decided to use Nurse's recipe (thanks Nurse!) as an alternative to the smelly MTG. I was trying to get longer hair, but what I got was a healed scalp. I love this board!!!

Thanks! Do you have a recipe for this oil? Or a link?

morehairplease

I have this. My derm prescribed a foam liquid to apply to my scalp and selseb shampoo to use for flare ups. Due to a horrible corrective relaxer experience this past Saturday, I am going to see the derm when he reopens in the new year b/c it caused a major flare up(and I have a lot of raised scalp lesions that are extremely uncomfortable at the moment).

Last edited:

GlossMeUp

I was diagnosed years after years trying to understand what the hell was up with my scalp. Like another poster said, I kept thinking my scalp was dry (as most blacks ppl do) and slathering it with oils only to have it worsen. I never thought the oil was making it worse, I kept thinking I simply wasn't finding the right oil. I spent $100s-$1,000s on products thru the years until i finally went to a dermatolgist.

My then Dr. also prescribed Nizoral and it works great. Although the flare ups for the last several years have lessened, I no longer get the large oily flakes and irritated red patches I used to on my scalp.
- I use the Nizoral periodically (I don't want to depend on Rx) but I also use other shampoos that have peppermint or tea tree. I think those have help me tremendously.
- They did also give me that Luxiq foam but like I said I didn't feel comfortable using so much prescribed items.
- Currently I do use Coconut Oil periodically I haven't had any adverse affects.
- I think the key is keeping your scalp clean and try not irritate it with an abundance of products
- I also think, there are just seasons when it will act up bad and long periods (like I'm experiencing now where it seems to die down). I only get bad flakes if I get lazy and dont' wash my hair for long periods of time. I have mid back locs and its not so easy to deal with washing my hair as often as I should.

One thing to also think about, if you have SD on the scalp chances are it can spread to you face and other areas. A few weeks back I went to the dermo, because I had excema patches on my body. She pointed out to me that the SD, had spread down to my face onto my forehead and the sides of my face. I used to get these small white flakes and never connect the two, just thought my skin was acting up. She said the bacteria that causing the flakes also acts as bleaching agent (which was why I've been so damned two toned, especially in my forehead area). She gave me a prescription gel which i used and decreased the flakes and evened out my skin alot.

Last edited:

Patricia

Thanks! Do you have a recipe for this oil? Or a link?
Yes I want to know also! I have tried the MN and Sulphur 8 mixture on my scalp and it really works for my scalp. I even mixed MN with light hair grease with same results. MN kills yeast and that is what attacts the scalp

morehairplease

I have it. It used to flare up really bad in the winter and summer. Otherwise it's not bad as long as i shampoo regularly (1x weekly). I have a medicated shampoo but I haven't used it in almost 2 years now. I've found that rosemary oil (known to ward off dandruff) and peppermint oil mixed with my MT oils/in prepoo conditioner has kept my dry patches at bay! And I use Kera Care's dry & itchy scalp shampoo and conditioner every other wash.

It's no longer an issue for me! I suggest doing a little research about what natural oils or products help prevent dry/itchy scalp and dandruff. I know it's not really dandruff just scaly flakes from your scalp but things that help with dandruff can also help with the flakes... like rosemary oil and lavender oil. I recommend adding it in your prepoo or deep condition over night with it 2x a week. Or if you like to put oil on your scalp use it on your scalp regularly, but mix it with other oils. Don't use essential oils without diluting/mixing it.

I hope you manage to get it under control! I hope I helped some!

hey sweetie,

do you mind me asking how you take care of your hair when you have installs? Due to damage from my recent corrective relaxer, I have plans to wear weaves and full head installs to give my scalp a much needed break from the relaxers.

tia,
tishee

SunySydeofLyfe

I am sitting here almost in tears, my DD eczema is really taking its toll on her scalp (This has never been an issue on her scalp, we have been able to control it on her skin with Aquapor). I dont know what to do!!!! I am so afraid of putting more stuff on her hair and not being able to control the issue (we have visited so many dermatologist...all with different remedies, nothing is working!!!). Last night I wrapped my arm around hers to keep her from scratching her scalp, she is ripping her hair out.....ladies...please offer some more advice. Mother in Mourning......

morehairplease

I am sitting here almost in tears, my DD eczema is really taking its toll on her scalp (This has never been an issue on her scalp, we have been able to control it on her skin with Aquapor). I dont know what to do!!!! I am so afraid of putting more stuff on her hair and not being able to control the issue (we have visited so many dermatologist...all with different remedies, nothing is working!!!). Last night I wrapped my arm around hers to keep her from scratching her scalp, she is ripping her hair out.....ladies...please offer some more advice. Mother in Mourning......

Big hugs to you sweetie b/c I know the feeling. May I ask if you have taken her to see a dermatologist? If not, please start there.

hths,
tishee

discodumpling

Poor baby...
Start with one of the excellent shampoos already mentioned in this thread...Nizoral, Selsun etc...Keep her hair in braids with the scalp exposed to treat it better with natural oils. Coconut oil by itself offers antifungal, soothing properties...but you know how we do on the boards; there are some really good and beneficial ingredients you can add like sulfur. & essential oils.

Show her how to massage her scalp by gently moving the scalp skin back & forth over the cranium to sooth the itchies instead of clawing at her scalp.

Good Luck!

naturalgurl

Thanks so much for this thread. I took my son to the doc and he says my son has this. At first he sad psoriasis. He told me to get Nizoral but he thinks my sons case is very mild. I told him that if I don't put my amla oil mixture (thyme, rosemary and MSM) it is very noticeable. It would look like he had little ring worms in his hair. With my amla oil mixture it disappears but if I don't use it he has those ring worm things. I'm going to try the Nizoral and some of the other things I heard here. I want something that I don't have to remember to appply daily. If I forget, then he starts getting those dry patches and I hate for people to look at him like he's dirty.

SunySydeofLyfe

Big hugs to you sweetie b/c I know the feeling. May I ask if you have taken her to see a dermatologist? If not, please start there.

hths,
tishee

Yes ma'am...the best the city has to offer (Dr. Dehue and Boutay (sp)...so many and the advice keeps changing, dont use lanlion but its listed in the ingredients in the oils..that work.... I plan to stop and get some Nizoral on the way home.

morehairplease

Yes ma'am...the best the city has to offer (Dr. Dehue and Boutay (sp)...so many and the advice keeps changing, dont use lanlion but its listed in the ingredients in the oils..that work.... I plan to stop and get some Nizoral on the way home.

Awesome....this is good to hear. Do let us know how the appt. goes. I goggled the selseb shampoo and saw that drugstore.com sells it. OT: but your hair in your avatar pic is BEAUTIFUL! Do you mind me asking what your regimen is?

SunySydeofLyfe

Awesome....this is good to hear. Do let us know how the appt. goes. I goggled the selseb shampoo and saw that drugstore.com sells it. OT: but your hair in your avatar pic is BEAUTIFUL! Do you mind me asking what your regimen is?

Thank you but that is the bomb weave! I loved my stylist! I am currently doing my own installs and my hair is thriving underneath....so to keep my hands off and the health going I wash and condition it weekly, stay away from chemicals (sometimes a little on the partial) and take it down every four to six weeks and start again.

We have been to both of those derms in Atlanta and havent had any success. I personally did with Dr Butay on my adult acne (she is the best for me and that)

mistee11

I have eczema of the scalp which is just another form of dermatitis. I've been having flare ups due to the cold dry weather here. I think I'm going to go back to using my miconazole nitrate. I was using this during the summer months and it really did help with the itching. And I would like to try Nizoral to see if that might help too. I've used Keracare Dry and Itchy Scalp products but they offered little relief.

ayoung

Aww, my DD to!

Been to Derms and docs too---but what works for us is

1/2 tbsp Flaxseed in a small cup of OJ 1-2 times a day
Keeping her scalp clean and moisturized (washing/rinsing ever few days as needed)
Teaching here how to rub and not scratch

I use a color applicator to apply the shampoo to her scalp only (gonna try the suggestions here for a new one) and then CW the length so it doesn't get dried out. I've been using an herbal grease on her scalp.

Those 3 things have been working for my 4 year old--but the shampoo sugg. sound REALLY good!

Thanks ladies