Votes: 49 62.8%
  • 1"

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • More

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2themax

Ladies! I've tried, "Everything" and my hair just doesn't seem to want to grow more than 1/2" per month (and still breaks off):wallbash:. I know that 1/2" is supposed to be the average, but I keep reading and hearing about others whose hair grows 1/2" to 1" and even some at 1" - 2" per month and they have pics to prove it!!:perplexed If you do notice SOME growth per month, what is the amout and what are you using i.e. vitamins, supplements, topical, etc. to retain it?

cuteazz1

1/2 an inch is normal and don't believe everything that you read because some would be floor length if their hair grew as fast as they claim.Some people do get an inch per month but is it consistent?Some peoples hair does grow faster than average but you'll drive yourself mad comparing yourself to everyone else.Just continue to be good to your hair and the results will come.

Last edited:

PinkSkates

Originally posted by cuteazz1
1/2 an inch is normal and don't believe everything that you read because some would be floor length if their hair grew as fast as they claim.Some people do get an inch per month but is it consistent?Some peoples hair does grow faster than average but you'll drive yourself mad comparing yourself to everyone else.Just continue to be good to your hair and the results will come.

....:lachen::laugh::lachen:...

Puddles

On Cloud 9
1/2 in. a month. Maybe 3/4 in. when I get growth spurts now and then.

People that say 1 or 2 in. a month......their hair must be breaking faster than it grows cause the length should be off the chain otherwise.

I really don't believe in growth aids and the different cremes and lotions people put in their hair. Be patient and keep a very simple regimen.
Jumping on too many bandwagons is going to lead to set backs.

For the record, my hair grows an average of .5" a month. I just BC'd and by my estimations, I should be BSL by summer 2010. Rome was not built in a day, your hair will grow, just wait and see.

2themax

Cuteazz1 - Thanks!!! I needed that cause I'm always asking myself, "Why won't mine grow like that!

Thanks!!

2themax

1/2 in. a month. Maybe 3/4 in. when I get growth spurts now and then.

People that say 1 or 2 in. a month......their hair must be breaking faster than it grows cause the length should be off the chain otherwise.

Yo Puddles - I have to agree. :wallbash:What was I thinkin?

2themax

I really don't believe in growth aids and the different cremes and lotions people put in their hair. Be patient and keep a very simple regimen.
Jumping on too many bandwagons is going to lead to set backs.

For the record, my hair grows an average of .5" a month. I just BC'd and by my estimations, I should be BSL by summer 2010. Rome was not built in a day, your hair will grow, just wait and see.

MissNorway -- Thank you for the encouragement! I've even had a couple of people tease me cause they said my hair just don't wanna grow. But thanks!

almond eyes

The only person I knew in my life who could grow her hair one inch or more per month was my friend in college who was multiracial (a la Rosario Dawson) but considered herself to be African-American. She could cut her hair boy cut short and grow it past her shoulders in a year. And she hated that because also she was extremely hair legged, hairy armed and hairy faced. Having her hair grow so fast was the result of hirutism. So, I would not want my hair to grow that fast every month. I think that one should be patient and cherish their hair at every length because once your hair gets long there are also many challenges too.

Best,
Almond Eyes

2themax

The only person I knew in my life who could grow her hair one inch or more per month was my friend in college who was multiracial (a la Rosario Dawson) but considered herself to be African-American. She could cut her hair boy cut short and grow it past her shoulders in a year. And she hated that because also she was extremely hair legged, hairy armed and hairy faced. Having her hair grow so fast was the result of hirutism. So, I would not want my hair to grow that fast every month. I think that one should be patient and cherish their hair at every length because once your hair gets long there are also many challenges too.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Almond Eyes-If I could have hirutism just for a week......:lachen:Just kiddin' You got a point.

Puddles

On Cloud 9
Yo Puddles - I have to agree. :wallbash:What was I thinkin?

Girl just try to protect those ends "By Any Means Necessary!!" :grin:

Getting 1/2 in. a month is great......if you can keep it. :look:
Heck......that's 6 inches a year minus a 1/8 -1/4in. trim once or twice.

Puddles

On Cloud 9

Best,
Almond Eyes

My Aunt...whose white...she gets 1in. a month maybe more. So yes it's possible. But most Black people on average get 1/2in.

My 14yr old daughter is between apl and brastrap.....she only gets 1/4in. a month.

PinkSkates

Originally posted by TheTHG2009
Pinkskates - Are you trying to make me jealous?:grin: Hey, what's so funny?:lachen:Your hair AND all the other ladies who have posted thus far is lovely!......Oh, "Someday"

:wave:Hey sweetie....no I was not trying to make you jealous.
I was laughing 'cause cuteazz1 post was so funny and kinda true.:lachen:
And thank you...I used to worry and measure my growth, but it was making me:spinning:.
Now I just baby my ends and eat a good diet, and in return I get strong and sturdy hair strands that wont break off, therefore retaining my growth.
So, if you can just focus on keeping your hair healthy, especially the ends, you will start to notice hair retention.
Good luck with your hair journey!

Trillion

I get a little more than 1/2 an inch a month even with growth aids like Ultranourish hair. But this is more growth than I usually get.

mxdchiq86

i've only been tracking it for a few months but, i know that from last month-nov i retained about an inch.. i have updates in my fotki.

TemiLnd

I think you also have to remember that peoples hair grows in cycles. One month they may get 1" another only 1/4".
I say be patient and don't jump on every bandwagon that comes along. Be patient with your hair. You will reach your lenght eventually.

NGraceO

thats very true. Also, a lot of people have a cycle of hair growth spurts yearly where their hair grows faster than normal. Me, I dunno. I thought previouslt that mine gre w 3/4, but i was mistaken....i guess that just means more patience is required for me to reach APL...boo.

B_sWife79

I finally joined today after almost two quarters of lurking. I can't seem to get my hair to grow more than 1/2 inch per month, but then again I haven't used any growth aids either. I think that when I was still flatironing my hair daily I didn't even know how much it was growing because I was getting my roots so straight but also breaking off my ends.

A friend of mine gets 1 in per month, however she doesn't take good care of her hair and it breaks and splits. She installed a weave in may and by august her new growth was gray and she had 3 in of growth, the weave was hanging on by a prayer. That was before I joined LHCF and was:blush: shocked at the growth. She's mixed, black and more black. Now that I have been caring for my hair for the last 2 months I have gotten 1 in every month, I know cause I measured and documented (I've been using growth aids), and I have retained the new growth. There are many BLACK women growing there hair and getting an in and more per month.
Some trim often and some don't. It's what ever floats your boat.
I'm mixed too, Black with more Black :grin:

danigurl18

mine grows about 1/2-3/4 a month.. i take a multivitamin, flaxseed, grapeseed extract, vitamin c, l-cysteine, horsetail, and vit b complex

2themax

:wave:Hey sweetie....no I was not trying to make you jealous.
I was laughing 'cause cuteazz1 post was so funny and kinda true.:lachen:
And thank you...I used to worry and measure my growth, but it was making me:spinning:.
Now I just baby my ends and eat a good diet, and in return I get strong and sturdy hair strands that wont break off, therefore retaining my growth.
So, if you can just focus on keeping your hair healthy, especially the ends, you will start to notice hair retention.
Good luck with your hair journey!

Thanks a million!! I'm going to take your advice. With hair that gorgeous you MUST know what you're talkin' about. It shows! I just keep seeing all this beautiful hair and I get sick with worry sometimes when I keep seeing mine break off so much. Thanks again.

2themax

I think you also have to remember that peoples hair grows in cycles. One month they may get 1" another only 1/4".
I say be patient and don't jump on every bandwagon that comes along. Be patient with your hair. You will reach your lenght eventually.

TemiLnd - you know I believe this is true. I have noticed that sometimes my hair grows shorter and sometimes longer and I always wonder, what did I do?? Why is it growing different than the last time? I'm really tryin' not to jump on every bandwagon that comes along. Thanks lady! Love the braids...

Noir

People on this board claim they get 1-2 inches per month? with pictures as proof :lachen: where dey at? I need to see this :lachen:

TheTHG2009 .5 a month is very good. Honestly you should feel very satisfied with that. Instead I think that you should concentrate on retention and try to find out why you are not retaining the growth that you get. keep your hair healthy and those ends protected girl and you will achieve your goal before you know it :)