Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2003, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Can You OVER Condition?

I thought I read somewhere in a magazine that too much conditioning can make your hair weak and break easily due to the softer fragile state.

Has anyone else heard this? If so, what would be overkill?
Old 02-12-2003, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Can You OVER Condition?

NO!! [img]/images/graemlins/wallbash.gif[/img] its like everytime i get summin that works, i meet a wall!! my new moto was moisture is my hair's best frend and now this [img]/images/graemlins/cry3.gif[/img] oh well i'm jus hopin that this aint true coz all this is enuf to drive a girl [img]/images/graemlins/nuts.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2003, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Well scientifcally speaking, I don't know. But from personal experience, I must say I have never experienced this. I think the key in the whole conditioing process is to get a good balance of protein and moisture. That is, maybe if you only ever used moisturizing conditioners (which soften the hair), your hair possibly could become weak. However, by adding a protein treatment say once or twice a month, it provides the hair with strength, thus creating a protein/moisture balance.

I love love love to condition my hair and have never had any negative side effects from overconditioning.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

i dont think so. i know cathy mentions this in her book. I use her conditioner 10-15 minutes with heat and then leave the cap on without heat for another 15-20 minutes and rinse when it cools. it hasnt damaged my hair or made it limp and unstylable as cathy says. [img]/images/graemlins/ohwell.gif[/img]

i must add that if protein products are used too frequently that may cause a problem but i dunno if that counts as over conditioning.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:50 AM
Putting out fires....

Thanked 9,625 Times in 1,463 Posts
Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)

Hi Mindymouse,

I would say it depends on the type of conditioner you are using. If you use protein conditioners too often, then yes, you will experience breakage due to dryness. As Armyqt stated, protein conditioners should be limited to once or twice a month.

Since black people typically suffer from dry, brittle hair because of the curl pattern of our hair, (we don't get the moisture from the natural secretions from our scalp as whites and asians experience), the more conditioning we do to add moisture, the better. It's important to use a moisturizing conditioner. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2003, 08:52 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Pandora said:
i dont think so. i know cathy mentions this in her book. I use her conditioner 10-15 minutes with heat and then leave the cap on without heat for another 15-20 minutes and rinse when it cools. it hasnt damaged my hair or made it limp and unstylable as cathy says. [img]/images/graemlins/ohwell.gif[/img]

i must add that if protein products are used too frequently that may cause a problem but i dunno if that counts as over conditioning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you Pandora....I think they may be referring to the protein conditioners...which <font color="red">we all</font> know here [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]on this site can be overused. I feel that as far as moisturizing conditioners my hair can never get too much.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:13 AM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
ngaa said:
NO!! [img]/images/graemlins/wallbash.gif[/img] its like everytime i get summin that works, i meet a wall!! my new moto was moisture is my hair's best frend and now this [img]/images/graemlins/cry3.gif[/img] oh well i'm jus hopin that this aint true coz all this is enuf to drive a girl [img]/images/graemlins/nuts.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ngaa come away from the wall girl. I moisturise my hair everyday and it has to be soft like a baby's behind, I'm always adding moisture to it as, like you it's my hairs best friend [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've had no problems with my hair and only experience breakage (which is minor) close to touch up time.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:20 AM

That makes, sense. Not having that balance an just using moisturizing conditioner.

Hmmm.

I noticed a couple of strands of my hair just went into a small not at the end, almost like someone tied it, I thought that was very strange... and I read about to much moisture, I'm like THERE'S NOT SUCH THING!!! LOL
Old 02-13-2003, 11:45 AM

The only thing I have heard is that too much conditioning can make your hair limp and weigh it down. However I have never experienced this. Pebbles' explanation is dead on. I think that perhaps those cautionaries apply to Caucasian hair...so keep conditioning your hair girl, your will love you for it! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2003, 11:48 AM

Yes, my hair does seem to need all it can get.

Greedy!!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2004, 03:50 AM

I think u can over condition, I used to everyday, doing my CW, My hair was not as thick, I compared some strands to others, my hair before, was about 2 strands put together but after it looked fine, I thought it was someone eles hair, I do think u can over condition, I stop doing daily CW and Nightly deep conditioning,by the way I used Suave for my cw
Old 02-06-2004, 04:02 AM

Thanked 1,327 Times in 326 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I think you can as the others have stated, if you don't have the correct balance... I am wondering however about build-up and if it can affect your relaxer...
Old 02-06-2004, 03:05 PM
With Love & Silk

Thanked 16,259 Times in 3,341 Posts
Mentioned: 1071 Post(s)
Tagged: 107 Thread(s)

I don't think over conditioning is possible, but I do think that hard-protein conditioners can be overdone if used to often or against the manufacturer's directions.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:06 PM

Okay, Cathy recommends using her conditioner everytime you wash (which is every three days)-she says to do this when you are just starting out on her system...so is that too much protein/overconditioning for your hair? Now I'm not sure if I will use her conditioner or not-let alone every three days....
Old 02-06-2004, 05:21 PM

When I used sta-sof-fro my hair got extremely weak. It was pathetic, really really weak. I guess that was over conditioning?
Old 02-06-2004, 07:48 PM

I think so, which is why I make it a point to clarify so often. I try to use an ACV rinse after each wash, and a clarifying shampoo at least once a month to prevent buildup.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:51 PM
With Love & Silk

Thanked 16,259 Times in 3,341 Posts
Mentioned: 1071 Post(s)
Tagged: 107 Thread(s)

Hey Natori,

I'm not sure what's in CH's conditioner.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:54 PM

She uses Whole Leaf Aloe vera for protein, it's like the second ingredient. I've heard of people saying their hair is a little stiff after using it...
Old 02-06-2004, 08:00 PM

Thanked 1,093 Times in 307 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Yes you can over condition. When that happens, your hair is so soft that it breaks easily, it literally feels like it is melting. This why I stopped doing overnight conditioners.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:22 PM

I believe it is, once in high school I left some optimum care con on for like, 40 minutes and when i rinsed it out and finished, my hair was extra shiny and soft, but it was also limp and wouldnt hold any curl and very thin. My stylist told me i had overprocessed it. So yeah..I think it's possible...however, i've never been able to duplicate those results