Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2008, 08:50 PM

Thanked 7,992 Times in 1,074 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 30 Thread(s)
Lightbulb What I noticed about NOT combing the hair often

Growing up for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why my hair was wavy at the roots, then it would be straight from the middle to the ends. After going natural in 2002 and minimizing the amount of combing and brushing, I notice my hair now maintains its texture throughout. Plus, it's so much more fuller and healthier. To minimize tangles though, I have bumped my combing from once a week to twice a week, but there's absolutely no daily combing. What do you ladies think?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Re: What I noticed about NOT combing the hair often

I recently started about a month ago with not combing my hair as much and I like the results so far.I try to comb it only twice a week if necessary because it gets really tangled at times but I think less combing is better for me anyway.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Paradox

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: What I noticed about NOT combing the hair often

I haven't combed my hair in four weeks.....
The braidouts are doing me well.

Last edited by Paradox; 10-16-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I comb my hair with my fingers. I think less combing is better. I only comb my hair out when I wash it. Then it goes back into a ponytail.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsmith For This Useful Post:
CurlsBazillion (12-13-2011)
Old 10-17-2008, 12:36 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I wish I could go without combing my hair. I finally chopped off the rest of my permed ends about two months ago and when I wore my natural hair out, I had to deal with a lot of tangling and knots in my hair. So for the moment I'm back to braids. I guess I need to work more on braid outs and twist outs because the success rate on those is pretty low at the moment.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:58 AM

I only use a comb when my hair is soaked in conditioner, which is once a week when I wash and DC. I use a wide toothed comb and my denman. The other six days I gently finger comb when I moisturize and seal at night. It has been working really well so far! Less shed hair = less tangles for me.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Comb it when it's wet or it'll get knotted/tangled
Old 10-17-2008, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I don't ever comb my hair anymore, really. If I am stlying or rollersetting, I part with my fingers. Mostly I wet bun. Once my hair is dry I take it down and run my hands over it, which drags shed hairs out. I only comb (with a very wide tooth comb) or finger comb when my hair is salon-styled.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miamori For This Useful Post:
nysister (12-13-2011)
Old 10-17-2008, 03:37 AM

Yeah I agree that less combing/brushing is better, but it's different with everyone. I could go for quite awhile without combing my hair because it doesn't tangle very easily, however some people may need to comb every other day. I think just comb as little as possible, but don't let your hair tangle.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblingbrownshuga View Post
Growing up for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why my hair was wavy at the roots, then it would be straight from the middle to the ends. After going natural in 2002 and minimizing the amount of combing and brushing, I notice my hair now maintains its texture throughout. Plus, it's so much more fuller and healthier. To minimize tangles though, I have bumped my combing from once a week to twice a week, but there's absolutely no daily combing. What do you ladies think?
yep. my mom swore my natural hair as a kid was "a big thick wavy-frizzy mess" and my sister had the naturally curly hair. imagine my surprise to find out that my sis and i have the exact same curl pattern but hers is fine and would break off easily (therefore stayed short and curly) whereas mine is thicker and hardier, and when it grows out longer it is a stretched-out S-pattern with tight coils on the ends. if i were brushing/combing/picking out my hair daily like she and my step-dad kept telling me to do when i first went natural (cuz that's the only way to wear natural hair ) instead of co-washing and only detangling once a week or so like i do now, my hair would be a big thick wavy-frizzy mess 24/7.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:24 AM

Ok, I have a question - because I comb my hair pretty often and can't see NOT combing it. How do you ladies who don't comb wear your hair? I mean, mine is natural, 4a/b and you can see the length in my siggy when it's pressed (unstretched it's about to my earlobe). I wear buns and twist outs, but I always comb. How do you not comb and it still looks ok?
Old 10-17-2008, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)

I noticed a change in my hair also. It does seem thicker, well, I have thick hair anyways...soooooo...ummm. yea...anywho back to what I was typing, at first I said to myself, how in the who ha am I going to NOT comb my hair and still keep it in tact/tangle free but as I continued it became easier. The only time I really get in there, really get in the jungle is when I'm going to do my touch up and I only do that with a super wide tooth comb. It works for me and less breakage! I mainly comb the last 6 inches or so, once a week and that's after I wash my hair.

My favorite style which requires absolutely no combing is putting my hair in a bun at night and in the morning take the bun down and viola, nice big wavy curls I love my hair Alot of ppl say having long hair requires more work. For me, it's wayyyyyy easier to maintain.

Last edited by tsmith; 10-17-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:27 AM

Thanked 15,112 Times in 2,048 Posts
Mentioned: 809 Post(s)
Tagged: 40 Thread(s)

in terms of texture, my experience is the same. my hair is 90% frizzy kink, even without combing. however going a wash or two without combing my hair showed me coils on the tips that i had never seen before. when you comb, especially dry combing, you comb out your curl, essentially. stretch it out.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:29 AM

Thanked 15,112 Times in 2,048 Posts
Mentioned: 809 Post(s)
Tagged: 40 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclass215 View Post
Ok, I have a question - because I comb my hair pretty often and can't see NOT combing it. How do you ladies who don't comb wear your hair? I mean, mine is natural, 4a/b and you can see the length in my siggy when it's pressed (unstretched it's about to my earlobe). I wear buns and twist outs, but I always comb. How do you not comb and it still looks ok?
if you are doing twist outs, when do you feel you need to comb? just twist the hair at night and untwist in the morning. i mean, for many of us this can't go on forever because the tangles will eventually increase, but it's possible to do for a few days. no need to comb.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
I comb my hair with my fingers. I think less combing is better. I only comb my hair out when I wash it. Then it goes back into a ponytail.

I only thoroughly comb my hair on wash days, about 1x/wk. I finger comb at night while lightly moisturizing and pincurling.

DH says "Are you fingering your hair again"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buttercreme For This Useful Post:
tiffers (11-21-2011), Umm Ebraheem (12-13-2011)
Old 10-17-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwedzi View Post
if you are doing twist outs, when do you feel you need to comb? just twist the hair at night and untwist in the morning. i mean, for many of us this can't go on forever because the tangles will eventually increase, but it's possible to do for a few days. no need to comb.
Well what I usually do is take parts or sections of hair when it's freshly washed, put whatever product I'm using, and then comb it through - then I twist it. I could see not combing it the next few days or so and just retwist, but not intitially.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 11 Thread(s)

I recently stopped combing my hair. Now that I wear my puff there is really no need to comb. I may detangle tonight since Ihavent in over a week...but I usually detangle in the shower with conditioner in...with my fingers only...and that's it. No brushing either. I smooth with my hands only.

SO far my hair feels heavier.

We will see what kind of results I get.

I do know that my puff is MUCH curly than when I did it the first time.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:07 AM

I comb my hair everyday or I get knots/tangles
Old 10-17-2008, 11:07 AM

Thanked 25,460 Times in 7,666 Posts
Mentioned: 4688 Post(s)
Tagged: 152 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclass215 View Post

When I'm doing twists or twist-outs, I can go for months w/o combing because I wash my hair in twists. I untwist and retwist any that need touching up either immediately after a wash or after a baggy, when hair is slightly moist and hence slippery. If I wear a twist-out, I baggy it for the night and then untwist completely and retwist afresh again finger-combing to detangle, one section at a time, while keeping the others under the baggy to maintain moistness. The video below sort of shows how easy it is to detangle my hair with fingers when I wear twists. Might seem like a lot of work, but if you think that when I'm wearing twists, I hardly ever have all of them out, and after a twist-out, I retwist while watching a movie or TV show, then you can sort of see how "easy" this regimen is. I don't use any products so my hair doesn't stick together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jff-Uqfb_SA

About texture changing when you don't comb. I don't know if my texture changes or it's just that manipulation makes the natural texture less obvious. Which is why I keep telling 4B folks that your hair has a curl pattern. Indeed, because I don't brush or comb my hair much, may be why mine seems more evident. As I showed in a previous experiment, if I WNG a small section of my hair, the definition of the coils/pen springs is very evident, but because the curls are so small, it isn't something I'd do all the time. I do comb my hair when wearing it out...but that's once in a blue moon, so I don't know if you'd consider that enough manipulation to disguise the texture. I still see the coils in the tightly curled hair even after combing. Maybe I wouldn't if I did it more often? Interesting thought BubblingBrownSuga.

Last edited by Nonie; 10-17-2008 at 11:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nonie For This Useful Post:
aa9746 (12-14-2011)
Old 10-17-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonie View Post
When I'm doing twists or twist-outs, I can go for months w/o combing because I wash my hair in twists. I untwist and retwist any that need touching up either immediately after a wash or after a baggy, when hair is slightly moist and hence slippery. If I wear a twist-out, I baggy it for the night and then untwist completely and retwist afresh again finger-combing to detangle, one section at a time, while keeping the others under the baggy to maintain moistness. The video below sort of shows how easy it is to detangle my hair with fingers when I wear twists. Might seem like a lot of work, but if you think that when I'm wearing twists, I hardly ever have all of them out, and after a twist-out, I retwist while watching a movie or TV show, then you can sort of see how "easy" this regimen is. I don't use any products so my hair doesn't stick together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jff-Uqfb_SA
Thanks Nonie - maybe I just need to have more patience when doing my hair and I won't run to the comb so fast.