Pardon me, but ain't Sodium Hydroxide.....

G

Pardon me, but ain\'t Sodium Hydroxide.....

for straightening hair??? Why is it listed as an ingredient in my Creme of Nature Shampoo (green and yellow bottle)??? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

beana3

Re: Pardon me, but ain\'t Sodium Hydroxide.....

yes it is what straightens hair, AKA lye. However sodium hydroxide is also a preservative used to elongate the shelf life of many products, particularily soaps.
I believe we discussed this in detail on the old board and the above reason was given. Even with the small amounts on "lye" in it, many people here still use CON shamp as their staple. I use it still, and i haven't noticed anything negative thus far. HTH

Integrity

not really. remember sodium hydroxide is only the 'BASE'. it is also found is soap and other chemical stuff, plastics whatever. it is more common than you think.thats all i know

Integrity

i found this online:

Where do you find sodium hydroxide solutions?
The main uses of sodium hydroxide are in chemical manufacturing (pH control, acid neutralization, off-gas scrubbing and catalyst); pulp and paper manufacturing; in petroleum and natural gas industry (removing acidic contaminants in oil and gas processing); manufacture of soap and detergents and other cleaning products; and cellulosics, such as rayon, cellophane and cellulose ethers; cotton mercerizing and scouring. Other uses include water treatment, food processing, flue-gas scrubbing, mining, glass making, textile processing, refining vegetable oils, rubber reclamation, metal processing, aluminum processing, metal degreasing, adhesive preparations, paint remover, disinfectant, rubber latex stabilizer and stabilization of sodium hypochlorite.

HTH!

MSCHICHI

G

Okay, thanks.

*Blood pressure lowering* /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Integrity

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
karonica said:

*Blood pressure lowering* /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Okay, thanks.

*Blood pressure lowering*

[/ QUOTE ] LOL, that can be pretty scary. Lucky there are woman here that know their stuff. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

Yes, I posted on this a while back. It's in the new formula, not the old. I have the old bottle (redw/ yellow lettering) and it is much better.

Once it runs out I probably wont buy it anymore. Yes it is used in soap products, etc, however it is still drying/damaging. Just as soaps containing dries your skin.