Using Wisdom with Words

Iammoney

Wealth magnet
• Print Article
• Leave a Comment
Using Wisdom with Words
Dr. Creflo A. Dollar
Words have the potential to hurt. Whether consciously or not, we all at one time have hurt or offended someone with our words. Whether at your workplace, conversations between close friends or simple exchanges with the cashier at the grocery store, each interaction has the potential to make or break a person's spirit. As Christians, we have the responsibility to speak with wisdom and understand the value of our words.
God cares about everyone, and it is important to be mindful of what we say to others. Walking in love and considering another person's feelings before speaking are vital to the spiritual growth and maturity of a Christian. You can avoid offending others when you use wisdom with your words and operate in love at all times.
Even if the interaction seems insignificant, it can still have an impact on another person. Whether you are a husband who is not using discretion when verbally expressing distaste for the dinner your wife prepared, or you are a manager brushing past a coworker while giving a thoughtless greeting. Everyone we come in contact with is a potential recipient of the negative or positive emotions we possess at that given time.
It is important to check your motives and think before you speak. Are the words you speak coming from a heart of love, or one of selfishness? Proverbs 18:21 says, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue..." No matter what it is you are attempting to communicate, getting your point across starts with choosing your words wisely. Your words have the potential to either give life or cause something to die in another person, so use wisdom. Moreover, be certain that you speak without malice and without intending to invoke anger or negative emotions in another person. In essence, positive and effective communication with those you come in contact starts with you!
Allowing your emotions to rule your verbal responses is the ticket to provoking offense in others. Anger and frustration is not an excuse for speaking negatively to someone. Especially when you know that your words could hurt the other person. The Bible says, "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath" (James 1:19). If you are in a tense or frustrating situation, take a moment to listen before responding. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you keep your emotions in check.
When you have the love of God and His Word on the inside of you, it will show through in your attitude and behavior toward others, particularly in your words. Meditate on the Word so that when you face challenging situations with others, you can rely on the Spirit of God to guide your speaking and help you with your choice of words. That way, you have every opportunity to exemplify the kind of responses and love walk that please Him.
I encourage you to communicate in love and watch the change it will make in your relationships! You're not without assistance. God is there to help you master your words and make the most of your conversations with others.
Love is the key to your success in the Kingdom of God.

Highly Favored8

Yes, the power of your words is so true. A person can speak life or death to another.

This is why I am no longer engaged! Person spoke death over my life! So, I took that and turned it around for my GOOD! God is awesome!

momi

Good post - Thanks for sharing. Lord knows I need to be reminded of this daily.

I have to ask myself constantly " will this be edifying to the hearer"? or do you just want to get it off of your chest!