RELAXED HEADS: How Many times Can you Co-Wash a week???

OhmyKimB

I'm sorry...I just realized the title said cowash not wash.....

I'll leave what I said but it doesn't go with the thread....my bad

I wash every 4-5 days...so about twice a week....

I don't cowash...but I use shampoo...I only wash once with the shampoo and deep condition under the dryer.

So I guess it depends on the person...the more new growth the more I wash...so after a relaxer for about a month I only will wash once a week. Also I balance my protein and moisture and then rollerset and sit under the dryer (sometimes I sit and then let the rest airdry)...so my hair isn't stiff or over moisturized that way

Last edited:

sowhut

I co wash everyday in the summer or at least every other day. I've been doing it for years with no ill effects. I dont deep condition until i get a relaxer. i just dont see the point.

ETA: that avatar is quite distracting:lick:

~*Tigget*~

I'm relaxed, and cowash at least 3 times a week. I like it, its keeping my hair soft & moisturized. No excessive shedding/breakage.

MoniintheMiddle

I cowash once a week and I deep condition once a week (my hair is worn in a portective style that I don't touch until wash day). I'm in the middle of a relaxer stretch and both have helped tremendously!

Highly Favored8

I co-wash once per week and I DC once per week. I get my relaxers done every 12-18 weeks. I have lots and lots of new growth and I am 9 weeks post.:yep:

If I co-wash and DC daily my tonsils :wallbash: will and would flare up!

Neith

My hair doesn't like JUST co washing everyday.

After a while it gets stripped of moisture and oils - similar to over shampooing, but not as bad.

If I was going to co wash daily, I would do a deep conditioning every other co wash. Nothing fancy, I'd just put in some deep conditioner and a plastic cap and sit around with it for an hour... 30 mins if I'm in a rush.​

poookie

i recently relaxed bone straight. i wash every other day, and my deep condition with every prepoo. my hair stays very soft and moisturized. i don't see how doing this often can possibly strip your hair unless you're using shampoo.

BioGeekChic

I co-wash 2-3 times a week. Daily co-washing made my hair dry. Also I deep condition everytime i wash. I haven't had any problems yet.

Neith

i recently relaxed bone straight. i wash every other day, and my deep condition with every prepoo. my hair stays very soft and moisturized. i don't see how doing this often can possibly strip your hair unless you're using shampoo.

For me it does. Everytime I bring this up, it's like some people don't believe me! A small number of people have said they experience this though!

This happens to me, my hair gets dry after co washing without conditioning after if I do it for 3-4 days in a row. My hair will be dry as a bone and feel stripped (not like shampoo, but still definitely stripped) even though I use leave in and oils.

Don't know why it happens to me... but just in case I thought it may be helpful to share my experience.

Miamori

IMO I can do it as often as I choose, as long as I stay up on my protein. I can do it daily; I will just need to step my protein game up.

I don't have a set regimen - it's just a listen to my hair thing - so I co wash when I think it needs it, protein and shampoo as needed, moisture, etc.

Miamori

For me it does. Everytime I bring this up, it's like some people don't believe me! A small number of people have said they experience this though!

This happens to me, my hair gets dry after co washing without conditioning after if I do it for 3-4 days in a row. My hair will be dry as a bone and feel stripped (not like shampoo, but still definitely stripped) even though I use leave in and oils.

Don't know why it happens to me... but just in case I thought it may be helpful to share my experience.

This happens to my hair too, though it takes longer than 3-4 days. For me, I found that cracking an egg over my head solves the problem. :grin:

Maybe one day you'll stumble across something to fix the issue for you if you ever feel that you need to cowash that often for some reason. :yep:

soulie

I have been co-washing every 1-2 days with no ill effects. The only thing I have noticed is within the past two weeks my hair has decided not to like HE HH. So - I just switched cheapies and all is well again. I did roller set yesterday so I probably won't co-wash again this week. I'll do another roller set on Saturday and just play it by ear next week.

OhmyKimB

Me too...that's why I use shampoo

Menina Preta

I co-wash everyday and I think I might be doing a little too much...

To determine if you are cowashing too much depends on you and your preferences and your type of hair and scalp, meaning how does it react to the cowash? With me, I know that co-washing everyday on my relaxed hair is a big no-no, b/c it's too much manipulation for me. I only co-wash once in a blue moon if my hair style needs a refresher and I already shampooed for the week, so I'm not a big co-wash advocate for relaxed hair.

Filmatic

It works great for me but your hair may be different. I co wash everyday and DC about once a week to every two weeks and after a relaxer. With co-washing everyday, DCing too much would have my hair mushy. I have a good balance going now.

TaurusAngel

I co wash and deep condition once a week. Like others have said, protein is key if you're going to co wash a lot. Thats added moisture so don't forget your protein as well. Simply cracking a couple eggs, which is what i use will solve that problem ;)

Sarahdais

I can cowash daily if I'm not being lazy but it usually 3-4 times a week.
I deep condition once a week.
No promblems so far.

*Muffin*

Right now since I'm almost 3 months post relaxer I co-wash every other day. It helps me keep my NG and my relaxed ends moisturized and aids in detangling (when I'm this far post relaxer I mostly only comb when my hair is wet and with conditioner in it). When I don't have a lot of NG I co-wash may two times a week and DC once a week.

The Princess

I used to co wash every other day.

Now I co wash once a week and DC one a week. I made it so I can wet my hair (DC, WASH, CO WASH) every 2-3 days.

Trust your hair will benefit, hair loves moisture. When it time for my relaxer, I will probally co wash every other day, just to get the comb through it. So it what work for you.