Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 08-17-2008, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Slippery Elm and Fenugreek powders...any suggestions

Hellow ladies,
While getting my weekly fix of whole foods, and stocking up on my irish moss powder, I picked up two new powders, Fenugreek and Slippery elm! Now I asked the beauty section lady if she had any suggestions on adding these powders for hair care, and I got the crazy look and . So I googled these powders and found that Fenugreek has been used by Indians (East) as conditioners. I am still up in the air about the Slippery elm, it just sounds like something I've read as an ingredient in some natural products. So if anyone has suggestions on recipes or have used these products before, please let me know
Old 08-17-2008, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Default Re: Slippery Elm and Fenugreek powders...any suggestions

Hi,

I think fenugreek is called methi in ayurvedic terms. Maybe that will help you in your search. I think I have seen it mentioned in a few places. HTH!

Last edited by natieya; 11-16-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:32 PM

Thanked 10,402 Times in 1,908 Posts
Mentioned: 318 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)

My powders are all mixed together in a big container I keep in the frig. THey include irish moss and fenugreek (rosemary, nettle, burdock, rhassoul clay, honey powder, rose powder, parsley, kelp, horsetail, oat straw and several more). I add them to my scalp concoctions, my conditoners and put in a muslin herb baggie when I brew up my herbal-infusion teas for my rinses. Fenugreek is great for both the hair and scalp. It is said to stimulate growth and slippery elm is mucilaginous like irish moss, marshmallow, etc. and is good for conditioning and slip, if memory serves.

It is an old strategy of tyrants to delude their victims into fighting their battles for them. --Franklin D. Roosevelt
The Following User Says Thank You to adw425 For This Useful Post:
EmeRaldPrinXess (03-29-2011)
Old 08-17-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adw425 View Post
My powders are all mixed together in a big container I keep in the frig. THey include irish moss and fenugreek (rosemary, nettle, burdock, rhassoul clay, honey powder, rose powder, parsley, kelp, horsetail, oat straw and several more). I add them to my scalp concoctions, my conditoners and put in a muslin herb baggie when I brew up my herbal-infusion teas for my rinses. Fenugreek is great for both the hair and scalp. It is said to stimulate growth and slippery elm is mucilaginous like irish moss, marshmallow, etc. and is good for conditioning and slip, if memory serves.
wow you are like my herbal idol! You use a lot of powders! I have nettle and horsetail dryed but not powder...I am going to add them to my cowash mixes! Thank you so much for you help! How much of the Fenugreek do you use?
Old 08-17-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natieya View Post
Hi,

I think fenugreek is called methi in ayurvedic terms. Maybe that will help you in your search. I think I have seen it mentioned in a few places. HTH!

Thank you! I will try this search!
Old 08-17-2008, 03:33 PM

Thanked 1,251 Times in 351 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 22 Thread(s)
Lightbulb Re: Slippery Elm and Fenugreek powders...any suggestions

I've never heard of slippery elm used for the head/hair. It's usually used for women's complaints and taken internally. I've done alot of research on herbs and this is a 1st I've ever heard of slippery elm being used for hair. Irish moss is usually eaten too (Rastas use this one alot)...fenugreek is eaten and used externally for many complaints in many Eastern cultures.

Fenugreek (ie methi) is frequently used for hair as the other poster said, but slippery elm? Never heard of it, but that means nothing cuz there's alot I've never heard of.

Last edited by jamaraa; 08-17-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:44 PM

Thanked 1,251 Times in 351 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 22 Thread(s)

I've used 1/4 tsp of fenugreek in henna, if this helps.

Generally, I'm rather a conservative herbalist....I try to use something the way it's been historically and most frequently used. Some things are better topically and others to be eaten/taken internally. I suggest you pay attention to HOW the herbs are used and work w/in that context.

If you are pregnant or suspect you might be, leave slippery elm alone!

Last edited by jamaraa; 08-17-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:55 PM
40+ Fit & Fabulous!

Thanked 41,558 Times in 8,595 Posts
Mentioned: 1073 Post(s)
Tagged: 37 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adw425 View Post
You always have the good stuff. I have everything except for rhassoul clay, kelp, and irish moss. I'm having a difficult time with these. However, I concur with slippery elm which is a fantastic herb for growth. I make both tea and oil infusions. This is good stuff!

Celebrating 6 Years' Napptural!!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:35 AM

Tagged: 15 Thread(s)

bumping!!

Im looking to use slipper elm in a recipe I am formulating. Do you all infuse it in water before mixing??