How to grow out hair in nape area?????????????????

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Can someone please help me? My hair is growing but it's growing unevenly. The sides are growing faster than the back

Does anyone know how I can boost the bottom nape area or the back part of my hair to grow faster and longer??? Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

ccd

Re: How to grow out hair in nape area?????????????

I'd suggest........moisturize, moisturize...I neglected this part of my hair for so long. Well, first, I used the Alter Ego drops for a long time....then after joining here I've used the Surge lotion in those areas and really noticed more growth...also try not to have harsh fabrics rubbing that area if you can help it... (scarfs, wool materials)

tasha

From my notes....
For nape of the neck breakage: Use a drop of glycerin with a little bit of water before you go to bed.
You can make more and put it in a little spray bottle for future use. try using distilled water.
HTH

J

JenniferMD

I had the same problem and putting my hair in braids did wonders for my nape area. Now that I don't have braids I make sure that I moisturize that part of my hair more frequently. I can now tell the difference when I comb my hair in the nape area. I section off my nape area and comb that separately from the rest of my hair and moisturize it separately too. I've been getting great results from doing that.

soslychic

Is it possible to grow out the nape area to long enough lengths to put like in a ponytail with the rest of your hair? I don't like bushy nape, so I either want it to be long enough to blend with the rest of my hair or keep it trimmed. I'm having a hard time figuring out which one

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
I had the same problem and putting my hair in braids did wonders for my nape area. Now that I don't have braids I make sure that I moisturize that part of my hair more frequently. I can now tell the difference when I comb my hair in the nape area. I section off my nape area and comb that separately from the rest of my hair and moisturize it separately too. I've been getting great results from doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jennifer, thanks for your input! What moisturizer do you use for your nape area?

J

JenniferMD

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Jennifer, thanks for your input! What moisturizer do you use for your nape area?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use soft sheen finishing lotion. It comes as a spray or lotion. I'm currently using the spray but I like the lotion better. With the lotion it feels better protected; its hard to explain, but there's definitely a difference.

Poohbear

I guess I'll start using my Profectiv Oil Sheen more on my nape area or my Motions Oil Lotion

HOTCHOCOLATE

I agree with the ladies, you have to keep it moisturized! This is what I did to grow out my nape area, I sectioned off the nape area and applied Infusium-23, curl activator and vaseline then I put that section in a loose twist.

bee

My nape has grown out--somewhat. When I decided to go natural a year ago, the nape area was BEE-DEE-BEE! I keep it moisturized w/ a spritz I use and emu/castor/grapeseed oil (not all of these at once, whichever I put my hand on), or kemioyl shea butter--or even my body moisturizer(refined shea butter/avocado oil/5 drops ylang-ylang).

I always try to seal the moisture w/ some kind of oil. So far, it works.

J

JenniferMD

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Tasha, Where can I find glycerin...and what is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

glycerin is an ingredient in most moisturizers.

Karonica

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
I guess I'll start using my Profectiv Oil Sheen more on my nape area or my Motions Oil Lotion

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my goodness, how do you like their oil sheen? I've been thinking about tossing out the ORS Sheen mess and trying Profectiv's.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
Oh my goodness, how do you like their oil sheen? I've been thinking about tossing out the ORS Sheen mess and trying Profectiv's.

[/ QUOTE ]

After I ran out of Optimum Care Oil Sheen, I just bought Profectiv Hair & Shine Anti-Breakage Shimmering Oil Sheen a few days ago and it's great! It smells great like cotton candy! It really helps with putting shine in my hair and I can just feel it strengthening my hair when I spray it on

Ayeshia

I also wanted to say that when you get touch ups this is the area that tends to get over processed and burns off. Since its already short and breaking its really difficult to apply it to the newgrowth only. I realized this after I went natural...My nape hair was usually 2 inches in the back when I was relaxed but now it stretches to about 4 inches.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
I also wanted to say that when you get touch ups this is the area that tends to get over processed and burns off. Since its already short and breaking its really difficult to apply it to the newgrowth only. I realized this after I went natural...My nape hair was usually 2 inches in the back when I was relaxed but now it stretches to about 4 inches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive heard this tip before but thanks for refreshing my mind of it again

silvergirl

i too once thought there was no way to the little hairs on the back of my neck to grow out long just enough to put it into a ponytail but not using any sort of heat has helped my nape hair grow out longer than it ever has in my entire life, an i dont have to use annoying lil clips to pin my hair up at the back anymore! those li hairs are now over 8 inches long

Aerie17

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Tasha, Where can I find glycerin...and what is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not Tasha, but you can get glycerin in any drugstore. It is kind of heavy and sticky though; may want to mix it with something else. It is a humectant (moisturizer).

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
soslychic said:
Is it possible to grow out the nape area to long enough lengths to put like in a ponytail with the rest of your hair? I don't like bushy nape, so I either want it to be long enough to blend with the rest of my hair or keep it trimmed. I'm having a hard time figuring out which one

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, it's possible. I "accidentally" grew out my nape area several years ago when I was doing daily hair washings for the summer. I did the washings (not conditioner washes) not knowing how much my hair needed all that moisture, not knowing anything - I just wanted to do it. I was also blowdrying and using hot curling irons and hotcombs daily. Anyway, my nape hairs grew as long as Silvergirl's, about 8 inches, which really looks long growing out of that area. I stopped the daily washings to about once every 7 days or so and continued using the same heating appliances. All of that nape section was fried off in no time.
So what I'm saying is what some of the ladies here are saying, that area needs a LOT of moisture and TLC and it can really thrive. I'm working on this right now after realizing how I tied my satin scarves was breaking this section off all of the time. Growing it out may mean a bushy nape for a while too, but it can be worth it.

recherche

Gimmie, Gimmie, MORE!
Isis, you are so right about how you tie your scarf can affect the nape area. I also would like to know how to grow the nape area too. The nape area of my hair is shorter b/c when I attempted to dye my hair a lighter color starting from the nape area for a strand test, mind you I had blue black in my hair...it turned green. So the part of my hair that I put the bleach either broke off / changed the hair texture. So now I have two hair textures until it grows out and the back is shorter.

What I have been doing to grow out the nape area is to braid the back section into two single braids and leave it and put some sort of oil or protectant on the ends (eg, ego boost, protectiv, mango butter) My hair is so big you can't see the braids anyway....or if I make a bun I just make the braids part of the bun. I've noticed a huge difference in nape growth.

Isis

Great suggestion Saddity1! I'm going to keep mine in braids too starting now. No one can see them, even if I wear a braidout.
Thank you!

lovechic

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:

[/ QUOTE ] YEP...I AGREE I EVEN READ THAT SOMEWHERE ABOUT THE NAPE USUALLY BEING OVERPROCESSED AND BREAKS OFF. THAT'S WHY MY NAPE AREA IS SO SHORT...I ALWAYS WONDERED, I THOUGHT IT JUST WOULDN'T GROW. NOW I KNOW WHY AND I'M KEEPING IT MOISTURIZED

lovechic

I'M SO GLAD SOMEONE ELSE CAN START THIS LITTLE NAPE GROWING CHALLENGE WITH ME....I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY PERSON THAT HAD THIS ISSUE. ANYWAY NOT ONLY WAS MY NAPE OVER PROCESSED, IT ALSO BROKE OFF DUE TO ALOT TENSION BREAKAGE! I USED TO WEAR AN PONY TAIL THAT WAS TOO TIGHT IN THE SAME SPOT ALL THE TIME. THEREFORE ALL THE EXCESSIVE TENSION OF THE PONY TAIL HOLDER "CUT" MY HAIR OFF THAT PARTICULAR LENGTH...NOW I WEAR A MUCH LOOSER BUN! YOU LIVE AND YOU LEARN I GUESS, WISH I HAD KNOWN THIS SOONER!!! LOL

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I have found this to be true as well. I think the very bottom part of my nape was always about 2 inches long - I called them "my edges" but now I can't really distinguish my edges from the rest of my hair b/c it's grown so long since I've been transitioning. I have new pics on my hair album showing the growth in that area since last year.

Isis

Thank you Hairlove for sharing your new pictures of your nape area. Your nape is growing beautifully! Love those curls!

lovechic

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I have found this to be true as well. I think the very bottom part of my nape was always about 2 inches long - I called them "my edges" but now I can't really distinguish my edges from the rest of my hair b/c it's grown so long since I've been transitioning. I have new pics on my hair album showing the growth in that area since last year.

[/ QUOTE ]
OH MY GOODNESS THIS IS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER ME TOO GIRL, I USED TO CALL THEM MY "EDGES TOO BECAUSE IT WAS SHORT!