Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-07-2008, 02:51 AM
Irresistible's Avatar
Irresistible Irresistible is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 10,854
Thanks: 867
Thanked 1,376 Times in 398 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)
Default HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Ok I rinsed the Elucence out that felt like butter all while rinsing, but once it was all out, I was back to this dry (drier than I am used to) Clarified feeling hair! I dont like it ya'll , It was cool because I probably needed it, but I was expecting to get my moisture right back......NOT! So Now I have Aveda Briliant in my hair and yes I used alot , again another Conditioner I Havent used before, somebody tell me this 'foaming and frothing' is not from the Salt Still???????? Two questions! Does Aveda Brilliant look like this? (ya'll said the elucence can be foamy) is that the case for this one too? I aint neva seen no ish like this, I CANT possibly still have salt in my hair! Second question for those that swam in the ocean and needed your moisture back WHAT DID YOU DO? I WANT MY MOISTURE BACK!!!!

PIC OF THE FROTH AND FOAM AGAIN!

WHAT IS THIS? *PANIC ATTACK*


Hosted on Fotki

OK OK *DEEP BREATHS* people swim in the ocean and get their hair back right? help me ya'll! my hair cant stay in this clarified state I NEED MY MOISTURE BACK!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-07-2008, 02:54 AM
Irresistible's Avatar
Irresistible Irresistible is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 10,854
Thanks: 867
Thanked 1,376 Times in 398 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

These are like the best Conditioners why are they foaming like this? geesh!

Someone tell me what to get to put moisture back pleassseeeeee
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-07-2008, 02:58 AM
Neith Neith is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,479
Thanks: 0
Thanked 137 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

It took a few days for the salt feeling to leave my hair... about 3 days.

I really don't think there was still salt in my hair afterwards though. You did rinse the salted conditioner out really well, didn't you?

I never used that conditioner before... I dunno if it foams
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:00 AM
Irresistible's Avatar
Irresistible Irresistible is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 10,854
Thanks: 867
Thanked 1,376 Times in 398 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neith View Post
It took a few days for the salt feeling to leave my hair... about 3 days.

I really don't think there was still salt in my hair afterwards though. You did rinse the salted conditioner out really well, didn't you?
yes mama, this is the second thorough rinse! geesh! I wasnt expecting this, glad your awake , 3 days? and did you do anything that helped get your moisture back exactly

I want to leave this conditioner in to get the most out of it, but if this froth is salt still, dang girl I didnt even use but half a tsp
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:03 AM
Irresistible's Avatar
Irresistible Irresistible is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 10,854
Thanks: 867
Thanked 1,376 Times in 398 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

guess I will be goin to work on my hair for a while, right now I just want to do anything to get it back , but I gotta let this conditoner do what it do first

I have urges to go pour some oil over my head too
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:06 AM
Neith Neith is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,479
Thanks: 0
Thanked 137 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irresistible View Post
yes mama, this is the second thorough rinse! geesh! I wasnt expecting this, glad your awake , 3 days? and did you do anything that helped get your moisture back exactly

I want to leave this conditioner in to get the most out of it, but if this froth is salt still, dang girl I didnt even use but half a tsp
It wasn't dry... it just didn't feel like my normal hair for 3 days.

Nope, nothing made it feel like my normal hair, I put in a lot of leave in twice the first day, it didn't help. I put more gel in too...

My normal hair feels a little coated. The salted hair just feels really clean. It tricks you... feels funny, but pretty good at the same time.

Maybe it's the conditioner? Some conditioners do froth... didn't someone say that if you don't apply it exactly the right way it gets frothy in the other thread?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:07 AM
MA2010's Avatar
MA2010 MA2010 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,225
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 3,653
Thanked 2,636 Times in 842 Posts
Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 42 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irresistible View Post
guess I will be goin to work on my hair for a while, right now I just want to do anything to get it back , but I gotta let this conditoner do what it do first

I have urges to go pour some oil over my head too
Iris and her love for oil.......!!! I hope you get your moisture back though!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:10 AM
Neith Neith is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,479
Thanks: 0
Thanked 137 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Yeah, try a hot oil treatment or just put a lot in... your hair seems to love oil ( shame that I should know that).

Maybe the oils will give it a good conditioning and coating to counteract the "clarified" feeling


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:29 AM
Irresistible's Avatar
Irresistible Irresistible is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 10,854
Thanks: 867
Thanked 1,376 Times in 398 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

OK , my memory served me well, my nightmare clarifying experience in the past, no conditioner worked, theY helped, but did not fix it, it was years ago, i was using the best ones then too, my beloved CPR, Butter Treat, and Heavy Cream, they all just helped but did nothing to correct it, I remember it was OIL that got me through, Avocado to be exact

so me, I just went in there and worked some oil in with this froth and combed it all through, lots of oil, I'm just mad because I knocked over my bottle of oil and alot spilled, big bottle and not cheap! sigh!

I will do this every single day untill I GET MY HAIR BACK if I have to

ok my hair might need clarifying, but I cant stand the dryness, I just cant. It just aint for me, and although this isnt the 'driest' its been, I think it was worse with the clarifying, I still just aint feeling this! I need moisture!!!!

any suggestions to get it back Quick? after say, swimming in the ocean or something like that?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:31 AM
Irresistible's Avatar
Irresistible Irresistible is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 10,854
Thanks: 867
Thanked 1,376 Times in 398 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manushka View Post
Iris and her love for oil.......!!! I hope you get your moisture back though!!!
Gurrrl I couldnt resist

I did it already, I Hope so too
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:32 AM
Irresistible's Avatar
Irresistible Irresistible is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 10,854
Thanks: 867
Thanked 1,376 Times in 398 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neith View Post
Yeah, try a hot oil treatment or just put a lot in... your hair seems to love oil ( shame that I should know that).

Maybe the oils will give it a good conditioning and coating to counteract the "clarified" feeling


errbody from here to timbuktu knows about my oil , I dont play when it comes to that!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:35 AM
Irresistible's Avatar
Irresistible Irresistible is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 10,854
Thanks: 867
Thanked 1,376 Times in 398 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neith View Post
It wasn't dry... it just didn't feel like my normal hair for 3 days.

Nope, nothing made it feel like my normal hair, I put in a lot of leave in twice the first day, it didn't help. I put more gel in too...

My normal hair feels a little coated. The salted hair just feels really clean. It tricks you... feels funny, but pretty good at the same time.

Maybe it's the conditioner? Some conditioners do froth... didn't someone say that if you don't apply it exactly the right way it gets frothy in the other thread?
yeah that was elucence, but this is Aveda, this cant be coincidence, two foaming frothing conditioners? lol

yeah it does feel funny, weird, I LIKED IT , but now I just want my hair back
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:40 AM
Starr1's Avatar
Starr1 Starr1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: California
Posts: 436
Thanks: 16
Thanked 52 Times in 19 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Salt is a mineral that bonds to the hair and regardless of how little you use it can result in dryness and sometimes damage. Your hair may temporarily feel soft, but that is only because the salt rubs the cuticles and creates artificial weathering- in other word: a stone left in a river becomes smooth, but over time the river wears it down to nothing. The salt does the same thing to the hair. Because salt forms a bond to the hair on a molecular level, regular shampooing, clarifying, and rinsing will not get rid of it.

In order to break the chemical bonds you will need to use a chelating (not clarifying) shampoo and follow it up with a deep conditioning treatment.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:45 AM
Irresistible's Avatar
Irresistible Irresistible is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 10,854
Thanks: 867
Thanked 1,376 Times in 398 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr1 View Post
Salt is a mineral that bonds to the hair and regardless of how little you use it can result in dryness and sometimes damage. Your hair may temporarily feel soft, but that is only because the salt rubs the cuticles and creates artificial weathering- in other word: a stone left in a river becomes smooth, but over time the river wears it down to nothing. The salt does the same thing to the hair. Because salt forms a bond to the hair on a molecular level, regular shampooing, clarifying, and rinsing will not get rid of it.

In order to break the chemical bonds you will need to use a chelating (not clarifying) shampoo and follow it up with a deep conditioning treatment.
YIKEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!

even in 10 or 15 minutes?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:47 AM
Neith Neith is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,479
Thanks: 0
Thanked 137 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr1 View Post
Salt is a mineral that bonds to the hair and regardless of how little you use it can result in dryness and sometimes damage. Your hair may temporarily feel soft, but that is only because the salt rubs the cuticles and creates artificial weathering- in other word: a stone left in a river becomes smooth, but over time the river wears it down to nothing. The salt does the same thing to the hair. Because salt forms a bond to the hair on a molecular level, regular shampooing, clarifying, and rinsing will not get rid of it.

In order to break the chemical bonds you will need to use a chelating (not clarifying) shampoo and follow it up with a deep conditioning treatment.
I don't agree...

Someone, probably gymfreak schooled me on sodium depositing in hair a little while ago.

It's the reason that it's important to chelate hair that is relaxed using Calcium Hydroxide... but you don't have to chelate hair that is relaxed with Sodium Hydroxide.

I'll go see exactly what was said...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:49 AM
Irresistible's Avatar
Irresistible Irresistible is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 10,854
Thanks: 867
Thanked 1,376 Times in 398 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neith View Post
I don't agree...

Someone, probably gymfreak schooled me on sodium depositing in hair a little while ago.

It's the reason that it's important to chelate hair that is relaxed using Calcium Hydroxide... but you don't have to chelate hair that is relaxed with Sodium Hydroxide.

I'll go see exactly what was said...
*taking deep slow breaths*

waiting
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:50 AM
Neith Neith is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,479
Thanks: 0
Thanked 137 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neith View Post
Yay! Good answer

So your hair should definitely be fine with neutralizing and chelating on the day of relaxer... with regular chelating (instead of clarifying) every month or so.


Another question:

Why would sodium be easier to remove than calcium?

Sodium is a metal, isn't it? Is it just because it's more soluble in water? Because of the sodium ion's charge?

Again, I'm SO not a chemist


Quote:
Originally Posted by Determined22 View Post
Ok, think of it this way:

You know when you have salt (sodium chloride - NaCl) and dissolve it in water, the bonds holding the sodium and the chloride break apart, so what you really have is sodium ions and chloride ions floating around in the water. That's what happens when you have sodium hydroxide in water, the sodium ions and hydroxide ions aren't connected anymore and float around. Plus sodium ions are relatively small compared to other molecules.

Now think about calcium carbonate. First, its a much larger molecule than sodium hydroxide, because carbonate is CO^3, meaning 1 carbon atom and three oxygen atoms. When you put calcium carbonate in water, it doesn't dissolve well, so the entire molecule wants to stay together. That's why you get the buildup on your hair, because the calcium carbonate isn't attracted to the water, it would rather stay on your hair. And that's why you need to chelate, because chelating is a process which binds molecules to the metals so that they can be removed.

Sodium is an alkali metal, but its much smaller than calcium. But the real reason why you don't need to chelate after using a lye relaxer goes back to the fact that no-lye relaxers use a secondary reaction which leaves calcium carbonate as a by-product, and calcium carbonate is not very soluble in water.

No, it was Determined22!

Basically sodium is very small, disolves in water and is pretty easily rinsed away.

Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...d.php?t=256711

Last edited by Neith; 08-07-2008 at 03:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:53 AM
discobiscuits discobiscuits is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,071
Thanks: 0
Thanked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr1 View Post
Salt is a mineral that bonds to the hair and regardless of how little you use it can result in dryness and sometimes damage. Your hair may temporarily feel soft, but that is only because the salt rubs the cuticles and creates artificial weathering- in other word: a stone left in a river becomes smooth, but over time the river wears it down to nothing. The salt does the same thing to the hair. Because salt forms a bond to the hair on a molecular level, regular shampooing, clarifying, and rinsing will not get rid of it.

In order to break the chemical bonds you will need to use a chelating (not clarifying) shampoo and follow it up with a deep conditioning treatment.
if this is true, then i'm ever so glad that i did not try the salt in my hair. i was wondering b/c i've read where if you go swimming in the ocean, what you should do to combat the dryness from the salt water.....
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:58 AM
discobiscuits discobiscuits is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,071
Thanks: 0
Thanked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irresistible View Post
yeah that was elucence, but this is Aveda, this cant be coincidence, two foaming frothing conditioners? lol

yeah it does feel funny, weird, I LIKED IT , but now I just want my hair back
elucence is not the only conditioner that i've used that foams/froths i honestly don't think the frothing is from salt. but regardless, you are trying to get moisture back. maybe leave your hair alone and let it adjust itself. i'm guessing but before man made all these products, hair had to do its thing on its own. i'm sure you've tried oils and hot oils and such right?

maybe, well i can only suggest what i've used. jane carter? perhaps? i don't know much from jane carter, elucence, and coconut oil. i sometimes use neurotgena body oil as a hair oil and i don't rinse it out.

man, iris, i hope your hair gets better. you've made me NOT want to try the salt in my hair.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-07-2008, 04:04 AM
Irresistible's Avatar
Irresistible Irresistible is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 10,854
Thanks: 867
Thanked 1,376 Times in 398 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)
Default Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SALTED HAIR REMIX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neith View Post

No, it was Determined22!

Basically sodium is very small, disolves in water and is pretty easily rinsed away.

Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...d.php?t=256711
THANK GOD, THANK GOD THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



» Advertisment

» Advertisment

» Advertisment

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright © 2002-2011, Long Hair Care Forum™, LLC.
Site Maintenance Nikos Dimopoulos - www.niden.net