Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2008, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Default Naturals who have successfully loosened curls or texture NATURALLY?

If you have succcessfully loosened your curls or texture naturally without experiencing damage ( like heat stretching), please share how you have done it?

I'm trying to find every alternative I can to the creamy texlax crack, so I would love to hear about and see pics of the changes?

This would include:

- Baking Soda
- Coconut and lime
- Henna
- Clay
- Natural relaxing (hydroxide and lye free) products
- and OCT or MSM if it applies.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Naturals who have successfully loosened curls or texture NATURALLY?

This sounds interesting!
Old 07-27-2008, 12:43 PM

Thanked 5,541 Times in 1,117 Posts
Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Smile Re: Naturals who have successfully loosened curls or texture NATURALLY?

I've got reviews and tutorials on baking soda and sour cream/lemon in my drugstore fotki. Yogurt/coconut+lime didn't do anything for my thick mane.

I must say though, I'm not a fan of the use of the phrase "creamy crack" as it implies those who use chemicals have no self-control and are self-destructive lunatics. Verses women making use of a tool to achieve a particular style option.

Natural "texturizers" will never be as strong as chemical ones. So, it may be worth keeping it as your absolute last resort?
Old 07-27-2008, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 11 Thread(s)

My hair texture is considerably loose now because I use henna on a regular basis. To be honest with you, the loose texture isn't something that I like or want, my main reason for using henna is to cover grays and I really don't like to use hair dyes because of the chemicals that they contain. I will continue to utilize henna because I love the benefits (e.g. stronger hair and the beautiful jet black color that I get from indigo). If you want a looser texture, henna is definitely the way to achieve it.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:39 AM

Thanked 10,423 Times in 1,915 Posts
Mentioned: 321 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)

I stumbled upon some things in the last nine months that did loosen my texture considerably. The first thing was yogurt. I had a huge container of it in my fridge, so I went searching all over the internet for benefits of yogurt conditioning and then proceeded to add some to my conditioner one day. My hair felt so silky that I did it two more times that same week and three times the following week. After that I noticed how loose my texture was, so I started researching this "phenomenon" which led me to the lime and coconut milk thread and that is where I found that yogurt does indeed loosen ones curl pattern -- likely because of the lactic acid it contains. I did the yogurt for about four months with great results, but the last time I ran out in February, I just never bought anymore.

Other things that have loosened my curl pattern have been the baking soda treatments and my aphogee treatments (see Naturals Let Talk Protein thread). However, the thing I believe that has loosened my curl/wave pattern the most and kept it loose is my use of food grade aloe vera. I started using it the second week in January and use on my hair (and scalp) nightly. When I noticed around March or April that my hair never poufed out anymore and hangs down and that I can now wear my hair down without the use of heat, I started researching again and that is when I learned that aloe vera contains lactic acid.

It is an old strategy of tyrants to delude their victims into fighting their battles for them. --Franklin D. Roosevelt
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adw425 For This Useful Post:
Ajay (09-01-2014), IzleyLee (08-06-2012), melissa-bee (05-04-2012)
Old 07-28-2008, 08:43 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Hi'ya - regarding the aloe vera...if i have a plant can i use this in some way?? please advise..i thought perhaps alongside my co wash or something??

Quote:
Originally Posted by adw425 View Post
I stumbled upon some things in the last nine months that did loosen my texture considerably. The first thing was yogurt. I had a huge container of it in my fridge, so I went searching all over the internet for benefits of yogurt conditioning and then proceeded to add some to my conditioner one day. My hair felt so silky that I did it two more times that same week and three times the following week. After that I noticed how loose my texture was, so I started researching this "phenomenon" which led me to the lime and coconut milk thread and that is where I found that yogurt does indeed loosen ones curl pattern -- likely because of the lactic acid it contains. I did the yogurt for about four months with great results, but the last time I ran out in February, I just never bought anymore.

Other things that have loosened my curl pattern have been the baking soda treatments and my aphogee treatments (see Naturals Let Talk Protein thread). However, the thing I believe that has loosened my curl/wave pattern the most and kept it loose is my use of food grade aloe vera. I started using it the second week in January and use on my hair (and scalp) nightly. When I noticed around March or April that my hair never poufed out anymore and hangs down and that I can now wear my hair down without the use of heat, I started researching again and that is when I learned that aloe vera contains lactic acid.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:57 AM

Well, in the thread that initially got my attention regarding aloe vera, I believe the person the poster was referring to was using the plant. However, I have used both the plant in the past and the skincare version of aloe vera and they both made my hair tacky/sticky, which is the reason I never used it in the past for more than two or three days. When I saw that AV thread in January, I just happened to have the dietary supplement version in-house, so that is what I used and it worked magnificently. I never stick with anything for very long because I love to experiment and aloe vera is the only thing I have stuck with for over six months and I will continue to stick with it. I believe my hair likes the food grade aloe vera gel best because purified water is the first ingredient and my hair loves water-based products. The thing is is that I use on my hair DAILY without fail and that is why I believe that my curl pattern has loosened and stayed loose (my hair never tangles very much anymore either), but I don't know for sure. I am just extrapolating.

It is an old strategy of tyrants to delude their victims into fighting their battles for them. --Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-28-2008, 09:24 AM

Thanked 1,082 Times in 268 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)

I have found that my texure has changed due to optimal conditioninig and natural and organic products on my hair.

This is not an overnight process. It takes time, and patience to focus on what works for you.

It also takes a bit of 'detox' time from other commercial products - for me anyways. I have really 'virgin' hair.

I can now tell almost immediately how any product ( styling, gels, etc) will work on my hair because it is really detoxified.

Like ADW, I don't have many knots or major tangles, and I don't have too much major dryness at all.

Good luck!
Old 07-28-2008, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I achieved great results using yogurt bananas and honey. Pics are in my fokti.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:40 AM
only 1 inch to bsl!!

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegoldlamb View Post
I've got reviews and tutorials on baking soda and sour cream/lemon in my drugstore fotki. Yogurt/coconut+lime didn't do anything for my thick mane.
Ya'll, help me understand,if you don't like your god given texture,change it with a texlax?You all do know that none of these things will change your texture right? I mean the only "permanent" non chemical thing that was mentioned was "heat stretching" also known as HEAT DAMAGE!I couldn't imagine why someone would sacrifice healthy hair for heat damage? If you stretch and find that you don't like it, why not just texlax? I mean I have seen lots of ladies here with really nice texlaxed hair.

Quote:
I must say though, I'm not a fan of the use of the phrase "creamy crack" as it implies those who use chemicals have no self-control and are self-destructive lunatics. Verses women making use of a tool to achieve a particular style option.
I understand that not every person is "addicted" to relaxing, but some are. I agree with you as well as with the person that said the original comment.

Quote:
Natural "texturizers" will never be as strong as chemical ones. So, it may be worth keeping it as your absolute last resort?
Again, why not just texturize?I don't understand why you would "settle" for something you don't want,when you can just change your lookup?
Someone please give me a clue. I guess that I am just not getting it....
me! I am at a point in my life that I just want to be healthy all over. I won't focus on hair length, but rather whole body health! I figure that if my bod is healthy,my hair,nails,and skin will show it!
Old 07-28-2008, 10:45 AM

Thanked 2,138 Times in 517 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 45 Thread(s)

My texture has changed over time (less coily, more wavy) but I can't put my finger on what caused the change, as I wasn't really trying to change my texture.

My list of suspects?

Henna. Mega-Tek (the protein is doing something - odd (in a good way) to my hair - making it heavier, maybe?). Caramel Treatment (and I think this is mostly because of all the moisture my hair soaks up). Time (as my hair gets longer, the curls get looser - I have fine hair, too).

I really have noticed that the more intensely moisturized my hair is, the looser the curls are. After a steam treatment, my hair hangs - which is the ONLY time it does.

ajargon02 - some people simply do NOT want to use caustic chemicals on their scalp/hair/head - thus, the search for alternatives.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:57 AM

I was not looking to change my texture or loosen my curl pattern either. However, when it happened to a significant degree, I did go looking for reasons why it happened and I can offer that information in threads such as these. I have to also co-sign on the steam treatments. I did one yesterday and my hair actually hung down almost absolutely straight, so to borrow JustKiyas words, I need to also add that to my list of "suspects."

Old 07-28-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajargon02 View Post
Ya'll, help me understand,if you don't like your god given texture,change it with a texlax?You all do know that none of these things will change your texture right? I mean the only "permanent" non chemical thing that was mentioned was "heat stretching" also known as HEAT DAMAGE!I couldn't imagine why someone would sacrifice healthy hair for heat damage? If you stretch and find that you don't like it, why not just texlax? I mean I have seen lots of ladies here with really nice texlaxed hair.

I understand that not every person is "addicted" to relaxing, but some are. I agree with you as well as with the person that said the original comment.

Again, why not just texturize?I don't understand why you would "settle" for something you don't want,when you can just change your lookup?

Chemical relaxers, etc, do not work for me. Please do not label everyone that use these natural /alternative methods.

I am not out to Change the texture of my hair. My goal is HEALTHY HAIR free of all the Chemicals and by products that so many people constantly complain about on the forum.

I don't have major Splits, major dryness, or major setbacks. I have constant great results.

I don't understand why people think that Slapping on a relaxer is the anwser to everything. The process is not that Old, ya know.... If you were living in the world even 60 years ago.... A relaxer would not be an option.

Sheesh.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:28 AM

Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

i love the texture of my hair, but i have notice that my curls have stretched now that my hair hangs down.

it used to grow out. now with the length, it grows down.

healthy moisture and length i would say.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:32 AM

Thanked 10,070 Times in 2,241 Posts
Mentioned: 684 Post(s)
Tagged: 19 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthajones67 View Post
Chemical relaxers, etc, do not work for me. Please do not label everyone that use these natural /alternative methods.

I am not out to Change the texture of my hair. My goal is HEALTHY HAIR free of all the Chemicals and by products that so many people constantly complain about on the forum.

I don't have major Splits, major dryness, or major setbacks. I have constant great results.

I don't understand why people think that Slapping on a relaxer is the anwser to everything. The process is not that Old, ya know.... If you were living in the world even 60 years ago.... A relaxer would not be an option.

Sheesh.

Why are you trying to loosen up your hair? I really don't understand, please enlightened me on this one.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurend View Post
Why are you trying to loosen up your hair? I really don't understand, please enlightened me on this one.
I am not trying to loosen my hair texture.

That just happens to be the result of using these products.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Adding SAA (silk amino acids) to my deep conditioner makes my hair feel like silk and it makes the hair soft and manageable. It's amazing.

MSM has also changed my hair texture. My hair has a more loose hair curl pattern. I take the liquid form from Vitamin Shoppe with orange juice (you must take vitamin C with MSM to reap the best results)

I wash my hair with baking soda, it leaves my hair more managable as well.

Lastly, the yogert/buttermilk mask has greatly loosen up my curl. There is a BIG thread about it.

Doing all of this makes my natural 4A hair very managable. I can blow dry is and it's fairly straight. I will never go back to relaxers because after learning about these techniques, there is no need to.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajargon02 View Post

I think the point they are making is that they dont want to put chemicals in their hair and want to use more natural methods... yogurt, milk, lime, henna, etc... will all loosen your texture, but it will be temporary and they can always go back to their natural curl a chemical process will not allow that and can be more damageing.. why do people say heat stretching = heat damage, if you keep straighting your hair, of course some ends will remain straight, but it does not mean your hair is damage esp... if its not breaking or splitting... and I know a lot of people who have been getting their hair pressed all their life and its very long, doesnt seem too damage too me.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:12 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurend View Post
I don't know about others, but I would like to loosen my curl pattern because my hair is very dense, thick. For me, thick hair + coily = greatly increased styling time.

Loosening my hair is just a way to make my hair more manageable without using chemicals. The two methods that seem to work for me, when I decide to use them, are henna and steam treatments.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:14 PM
<-- 50+ Club

Thanked 13,839 Times in 3,142 Posts
Mentioned: 771 Post(s)
Tagged: 42 Thread(s)

Intersting thread...
Shop Vitacost.com, my fav online discount retailer for health, wellness & beauty products. Shop through my link below and get $10 OFF your 1st order! Refer your friends & get a $10 reward for you AND your friends!
https://www.vitacostrewards.com/6YHVAj