Am I losing too much hair?

neeka387

Hey everyone,

I basically know nothingLong Hair Care Forums - Post New Thread about telling whether your hair is breaking, whats abnormal shedding etc.

My hair is to the base of my neck and I've been trying to figure out if its breaking and I need to chop some of it off.

Can you tell from the picture if I'm losing too much hair?

I deep condition and co wash every 2-3 days. My hair is relaxed with about 1-1/2 inches of new growth.

I wear wigs so I only comb my hair every 2-3 days when I wash.
The hair ball is usually this big, but has been a little bigger.

Please help...am I losing too much hair?

Attachments

• DSC00244.JPG
    DSC00244.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00245.JPG
    DSC00245.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 15

Simply_Kelz

Honestly, it depends on how much you would regularly shed, whether those or shed or broken, and how many strands it actually is.

I know the other day I freaked out at a ball of hair I had, then pulled it apart and realized the strands were just long, it wasn't that much.

To be on the safe side, make sure you are detangling from the ends up, especially with all that new growth. And you should apply your DC's like a relaxer to make sure the new growth gets good and moisturized.

HTH!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
So is that 2 or 3 days of hair? For you length it kinda looks like a lot but I don't know if you would say it's abnormal. For different people it depends....you can loose 80-100 strands a day and that's considered normal.

poookie

hmm. next time you get one of those balls, take a few strands out, and examine them. if they have tiny bulbs on the ends, they're shed hairs, and nothing to really worry about. however, if the majority are significantly shorter than the length of your hair, or have jagged ends, then you might have a problem. how are you detangling / brushing / combing your hair?

re-read your original post.

you shouldn't really be combing through the new growth with a comb. i got a lot of breakage doing so. use a wide-toothed comb for the length of your hair, and finger-comb the NG, so you don't break off any unnecessary hair.

BrooklynSouth

Hey everyone,

I basically know nothingLong Hair Care Forums - Post New Thread about telling whether your hair is breaking, whats abnormal shedding etc.

My hair is to the base of my neck and I've been trying to figure out if its breaking and I need to chop some of it off.

Can you tell from the picture if I'm losing too much hair?

I deep condition and co wash every 2-3 days. My hair is relaxed with about 1-1/2 inches of new growth.

I wear wigs so I only comb my hair every 2-3 days when I wash.
The hair ball is usually this big, but has been a little bigger.

Please help...am I losing too much hair?

Honestly..it does look like a lot of hair there on your computer. Why do you feel the need to chop if it's breaking? Lightly trimming any split ends is a better option. Try a good deep conditioner, moisturize a lot, seal your moisture in with a good oil..lots of oil choices abound..I love coconut and Africa's Best Ultimate herbal oil. Neeka, are you combing from ends to roots; are you using a seamless, shower comb?