Do and Donts of relaxed hair????

Simply_Kelz

Do:

Moisturize your ends regularly.

Deep condition regularly.

Work some protein in the mix and get a good protein-moisture balance going.

Protect your ends with oils and conditioners when it's touch-up time.

Wait AT LEAST 8 weeks in between touch-ups.

Stretch.

Don't:

Skip deep-conditioning treatments.

Color, then neglect your hair.

Over-manipulate.

This is just me, but I'm better off combing my hair when dry. Most of the time.

Trim your hair every relaxer, unless you're gradually trimming off damage.

locabouthair

DO

protect your relaxed ends when you get a touchup by using conditioner, oil, or grease.

Use a chelating shampoo once a month if you use no lye, to remove calcium deposits.

Know what relaxer you use and what type.

DO NOT

Relax the day after you take braids out.

Brush your hair when wet.

Blessed_Angel

DO

Keep hair moisturized; and baby the ends.

Do keep close watch to the moisture/protein balance.

Do trim regularly. TIP: (that helps to prevent frizz).

Keep track of hair's condition and progress with a hair journal.

Use quality products when dcing.

Find a leave-in that moisturizes your hair.

Trim little by little or cut damaged hair.

Ensure that your health issue (s) are not affecting the state of your hair.

Use chelating shampoo once a month; more if you're on medication or swims often.

Use direct heat PROPERLY.

DO NOT

Use direct heat without a heat protectant.

Trim every touch-up or sooner if you want to see growth and/or if the ends are healthy and even.

Rely on a stylist to be your hair's advocate.

Use products that easily causes build-up.

Use products without knowing the ingredients.

Last edited:

bermudabeauty

Do:
  1. Protect hair with oil or conditioner prior to relaxing
  2. Keep your hair moisturized at all times
  3. When neutralizing hair leave it in for about 5minutes before rinsing.
  4. Do use a reconstructor after neutralizing
  5. Deep condition everytime you shampoo your hair
  6. Use protective styles and low manipulation
  7. Cut all split ends
Don't:
  1. Overprocess your hair or underprocess your hair
  2. Don't put too much protein in hair it will cause breakage
  3. Use direct heat too often
  4. Be afraid to ask for hair advice from ladies at LHCF

TexturedTresses

one don't could be wool caps
and don't be afraid of water ... its your friend
don't use alcohol based products
avoid petroleum and mineral oil
don't jump on every band wagon

stick to natural oils
massage your scalp
moisture moisture moisture
as i've recently learned ... clarify once a month
deep condition
pre poo
avoid sulfates... it made a difference for me
cut ALL split ends
learn how to do your own hair
research
realize its very easy to od on protein
stretch
co wash
protective styles

this is all i've learned so far

MizaniLocs

*Disclaimer* What works for some may not work for others. So, with that being said this is what works for *me.* The views expressed by MizaniLocs are soley the views expressed by MizaniLocs. Please use any of this information with caution. User discretion is advised.

Do:
Moisturize your hair daily.
Wear a silk or satin scarf every night and even when laying around in the house.
Deep condition ATLEAST every 2 weeks.
Try and stretch your relaxer longer than 6 weeks.
Pre-poo if you use a harsh shampoo.
Incorporate protein in your regimen. If you're relaxed, you NEED this. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. It's not a big, bad monster. It's your friend.:yep:
Listen to your hair's wants and not your mind's. If your hair is telling you stop, then stop.

Don't:
Go hard with the heat. If you like heat, texlax and stay away from color.
Permanently dye relaxed hair or bleach relaxed hair.:nono: That's asking for trouble.
Relax more than every 6 weeks.
Use heat more than once per week.
Leave the relaxer on for more than 20 minutes.
Brush wet hair.
Use more than 1 form of direct heat in one setting (example: blowdrying, pressing, AND flat ironing). Try to airdry or rollerset then flat iron.
Shampoo without conditioning afterwards. No matter how "moisturizing" the shampoo claims to be.
Comb your hair like you're angry with it.
Skip a leave-in. Especially if you use heat.
Use rubberbands or too tight ponytails.
Shampoo until you feel your hair "squeak."
And last but not least...

DON'T let a stylist take control over you and your hair. Speak up.

Last edited:

Dposh167

DO:

fix ur porosity after a fresh touch up.

prep your hair properly before u relax...expecially those ends

moisturize ur newgrowth individually when it starts to really kick in...(moisturized ng = easier manageabilty)

DON'T:
skip keratin protein...its very important!

avoid trimming ur splits!....u'll regret it later

Simply_Kelz

*Disclaimer* What works for some may not work for others. So, with that being said this is what works for *me.* The views expressed by MizaniLocs are soley the views expressed by MizaniLocs. Please use any of this information with caution. User discretion is advised.

Your disclaimer made me :giggle:

napgurl

DO (what other said before this post plus)

Base scalp, ears and and around edges

Make sure hair is sectioned of before applying relaxer and work quickly and efficiently (if you have very thick hair make more than just the regular 4 sections)

Wash . . . wash . . . wash all of the perm out of your hair. In between shampoos I apply a little conditioner to moisturize and losen hair (shampoo, rinse, a little conditioner, rinse, and then shampoo again)

Use henna to cover grey

Do condition wash 2x per week and seal with oil

Roller set

DO NOt (What other said plus)

Use permanent color (well for me)

Get lazy . . . a few lazy days can set you back to square one

Last edited:

Blessed_Angel

DO:

fix ur porosity after a fresh touch up.

prep your hair properly before u relax...expecially those ends

moisturize ur newgrowth individually when it starts to really kick in...(moisturized ng = easier manageabilty)

DON'T:
skip keratin protein...its very important!

avoid trimming ur splits!....u'll regret it later

I've learned about this recently, and I've been wondering how to go about doing this.

Is this to be done the night before or right befor leaving the house (I would assume the night before since you don't want a relaxer done on "wet" hair)? And what kind of conditioner is best to use to protect the ends? Is it ok to use a quality conditioner...or is it best to be a quality conditioner?

TIA

Last edited:

MizaniLocs

I've learned about this recently, and I've been wondering how to go about doing this.

Is this to be done the night before or right befor leaving the house (I would assume the night before since you don't want a relaxer done on "wet" hair)? And what kind of conditioner is best to use to protect the ends? Does it have to be a quality conditioner...or is it best to be a quality conditioner?

TIA

If you are going to a salon, I say do it right before you leave the house. Give the conditioner time to dry of course. You don't want to relax damp/wet hair.

I use any conditioner really. I've used cheapies all the way down to expensive ones. I find that ones with a hint of protein and cones (they help build a layer around the strands) work best for me.:yep: I also add oil to "seal" in the conditioner and a bit of vaseline to "seal" in the conditioner and oil. A little much? Yes, but IMHO you can never be too safe. Strap twice. ;)

Blessed_Angel

If you are going to a salon, I say do it right before you leave the house. Give the conditioner time to dry of course. You don't want to relax damp/wet hair.

I use any conditioner really. I've used cheapies all the way down to expensive ones. I find that ones with a hint of protein and cones (they help build a layer around the strands) work best for me.:yep: I also add oil to "seal" in the conditioner and a bit of vaseline to "seal" in the conditioner and oil. A little much? Yes, but IMHO you can never be too safe. Strap twice. ;)

Oh, ok, so I'll do it a couple hours before I go to the salon...you're right. You can never be too safe. :lachen:

Thanks, Mizani.

sunnieb

Don't comb dry newgrowth! You're asking for breakage. Comb/detangle when wet or just moisturized.

Do enjoy your beautiful relaxed hair! :yep:

kupenda

I forgot add always rinse your hair using cold water. Your hair will thank you.

I just started doing this. Why didn't I know abt this before?! No stylists has EVER rinsed me with cool/cold water. I was always complaining it was too hot. It really does work though. I did it today. And it was great cuz there's no ac in my car. It was over 100 degrees in Maryland today. I couldn't do it lol

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

nickpoopie

What's up with the rinsing with cool/cold water. I've heard of it before but when I used to go to the salon they always rinsed with warm/hot water. You'd think they'd know best being they went to school for this.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
What's up with the rinsing with cool/cold water. I've heard of it before but when I used to go to the salon they always rinsed with warm/hot water. You'd think they'd know best being they went to school for this.
It's believe to help close the cuticles. Not everyone believes this though. I rinse with cool water because if it is true I want my cuticles closed but also because I actually enjoy the feeling.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay

It's believe to help close the cuticles. Not everyone believes this though. I rinse with cool water because if it is true I want my cuticles closed but also because I actually enjoy the feeling.
Agree with @Nix08 about the cuticles although it's a debatable topic.

@nickpoopie - my low porosity hair prefers warm water vs. hot or cold. My cuticles are closed as is and cool/cold water just further closes them shut. I feel that it blocks the ability for my LIs to absorb. I feel that hot water washes away all of my moisturizing goodness. Nickpoopie, just find what works best for you.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Do for a tangle prone head - detangle hair before washing as it cuts down on post wash tangles.

Some prefer to detangle wet but it's in my best interest to apply oil or conditioner to my dry hair and dry detangle before washing to minimize tangles.

ETA: I apply a ceramide oil to my hair for dry detangling and oil rinsing.