So through with Biotin

TooCute

After taking Biotin 5000mcg for a month my face looks like I have a rash and I keep getting these GINORMOUS (giant and enormous composite) bumps on my face:wallbash:.

No growth difference. Drank plenty of water, still crater faced. In the trash you go Mister Biotin.

Thought about lower dosage, but I'm just going to move on. I am in love with my formerly smooth skin so I'll start focusing on our relationship, girl bye.

Traycee

After taking Biotin 5000mcg for a month my face looks like I have a rash and I keep getting these GINORMOUS (giant and enormous composite) bumps on my face:wallbash:.

No growth difference. Drank plenty of water, still crater faced. In the trash you go Mister Biotin.

Thought about lower dosage, but I'm just going to move on. I am in love with my formerly smooth skin so I'll start focusing on our relationship, girl bye.

I'm sorry to hear that....I love Biotin but I would never take that much (5000mcg)...Thats crazy...

bermudabeauty

Seems like you had a toxic effect 5000mcg is excessive your body shouldn't take more than 3000mcg from what I read. I am taking a generic Target vitamin pill. It is called Hair, nails, and skin. The reason why I am taking a pill like this vs. straight Biotin is to avoid and adverse reaction like you did. I find that when you just take a vitain that is just one ingredient, it is more than your daily allowance. So I take the Hair, Nails, and Skin multi-vitamin. Hope this info helps.

BrownEyez22

I had to stop taking mine 2 weeks ago, I think it was making my cheeks look leathery, bumpy and shinny. I was taking Hair Ultra Multi vitamin and it had 1000mcg of Bitoin in one along with other stuff. I also drank plenty of water....oh well

I also agree with the others your dosage was pretty high.

Exfoliate with baking soda and drink water or do a cleanse.

Last edited:

backtonature

I also had to stop taking my biotin. Mine was 1000 mcg, and while taking it my acne flared and my skin became oily and very blotchy. My nails grew fast and were stronger, but for my hair it really didn't do any thing great enough for me to want to continue taking it and letting my skin get out of control.

I'd say be careful taking this if you already have oily/problem prone skin. Also be careful if you have an autoimmune disease like Lupus or Sarcoidosis because your overeactive immune system can cause very severe skin reactions and flares. Your body might not need the extra help do to its overeactive response to many triggers.

Qualitee

I think there are members who take 5000mg of biotin twice a day:blush:. I was thinking about doing this:look:. But now I think I wont:nono:

TooCute

I think there are members who take 5000mg of biotin twice a day:blush:. I was thinking about doing this:look:. But now I think I wont:nono:

OMG! Thats crazy. I hope it works out for them.

I have been looking for some hair, nail, skin vitamin to take instead of that Biotin....Any suggestions....I'll do a search!

Candy_C

you've probabley been taking it totally wrong

you need to take it together with b50 complex

and flaxseed oil

PLUS

multi vitamin once a day too

at night

with hot water

try that

and take 1,000mcg (1mg) thats enuff!!!!!!!

anymore than that make my hair thicker not longer

song_of_serenity

I used to take 5000 mcg no problem. People react differently...did you jump straight to 5000 without introducing it to your body bit by bit? Did you (and this is VERY, VERY important with biotin) drink lots and lots of water?
I'm sorry you had this reaction. Becareful what you put on your face as well, as to not aggravate the situation!
~*Janelle~*

prettypuff1

I had to stop taking mine 2 weeks ago, I think it was making my cheeks look leathery, bumpy and shinny. I was taking Hair Ultra Multi vitamin and it had 1000mcg of Bitoin in one along with other stuff. I also drank plenty of water....oh well

I also agree with the others your dosage was pretty high.

Exfoliate with baking soda and drink water or do a cleanse.

It turned me into leather face too.... I had to leave that stuff alone. I was trying exfoliate with foot scrub my skin was so bad

bermudabeauty

you've probabley been taking it totally wrong

you need to take it together with b50 complex

and flaxseed oil

PLUS

multi vitamin once a day too

at night

with hot water

try that

and take 1,000mcg (1mg) thats enuff!!!!!!!

anymore than that make my hair thicker not longer

the vitamins I take have all that in there too. I can't imagine 5,000mcg. Geez

nodisrespect

the fact that i've had no skin affects from biotin almost makes me believe this stuff doesn't even work. I have a bottle of the 1k and I started off taking two, then three, then four a day. I can't say whether it's doing anything for my hair or not but it makes my nails grow much quicker than usual. My skin hasn't been any more or less clearer than it usually is depending on what I'm eating and how I'm sleeping. I took the b complex and the multivitamin for awhile, but the continuous bloating made me chuck those and now I just use the biotin. This junk probably ain't even working. I think I should buy a more expensive brand.

Keshieshimmer

Biotin also had a adverse reaction to my face. It messed it up. Though my nails grew I didn't notice a difference in my hair.

BillsBackerz67

:blush:damn thats a lot. I think with all my vits combined its about 2,000 mcg. Im drinking tons of water and taking a multi with a b50 complex so maybe thats why I havent noticed any ill effects.

alwayzalady22

well um... :look: i take 15,000 (you read that right) mcg of biotin every day with a b-complex vitamin. i drink probably 5-6 bottles of water every day though, but i don't have skin problems.

i think it's important that when u start taking biotin, u start off slowly before you up the dosage. i don't see myself going past 15k mcg, but i would never START with 5 mcg. sometimes i think if you stick with it, then the bumps will go away (at least that's what happened with me). my skin is crystal clear and glowing all the time, but if it's messin with your face like that, then i'd stop :yep:

candy c is right... my hair is HELLA THICK, boy!!! i love it!

Qualitee

I used to take 5000 mcg no problem. People react differently...did you jump straight to 5000 without introducing it to your body bit by bit? Did you (and this is VERY, VERY important with biotin) drink lots and lots of water?
I'm sorry you had this reaction. Becareful what you put on your face as well, as to not aggravate the situation!
~*Janelle~*
ITA :yep::yep:

lilsparkle825

the fact that i've had no skin affects from biotin almost makes me believe this stuff doesn't even work. I have a bottle of the 1k and I started off taking two, then three, then four a day. I can't say whether it's doing anything for my hair or not but it makes my nails grow much quicker than usual. My skin hasn't been any more or less clearer than it usually is depending on what I'm eating and how I'm sleeping. I took the b complex and the multivitamin for awhile, but the continuous bloating made me chuck those and now I just use the biotin. This junk probably ain't even working. I think I should buy a more expensive brand.
lol me too! i take the onesource hair/skin/nails from walmart and i have noticed no ill side effects. then again i just float through my day anyway...but regardless i am switching to GNC tomorrow (i have one dose left of this one).

on top of that...read littlegoldlamb's review of biotin...she suggests crushing it up and adding it to your conditioners and stuff if the skin effects are too bad. that way it still works externally. READ IT BEFORE YOU CHUCK IT!

Menina Preta

well um... :look: i take 15,000 (you read that right) mcg of biotin every day with a b-complex vitamin. i drink probably 5-6 bottles of water every day though, but i don't have skin problems.

i think it's important that when u start taking biotin, u start off slowly before you up the dosage. i don't see myself going past 15k mcg, but i would never START with 5 mcg. sometimes i think if you stick with it, then the bumps will go away (at least that's what happened with me). my skin is crystal clear and glowing all the time, but if it's messin with your face like that, then i'd stop :yep:

candy c is right... my hair is HELLA THICK, boy!!! i love it!

Is this safe? It seems like a very high dose of biotin.

song_of_serenity

Is this safe? It seems like a very high dose of biotin.
I wonder...they say what your body doesn't need you excrete so it is somewhat safe, but I don't know about this high!

I honestly thing 15,000 is a waste because you most likely pee out the majority of that. Beyond a certain point, it loses its benefit and just becomes waste material.
~*Janelle~*

Qualitee

I wonder...they say what your body doesn't need you excrete so it is somewhat safe, but I don't know about this high!

I honestly thing 15,000 is a waste because you most likely pee out the majority of that. Beyond a certain point, it loses its benefit and just becomes waste material.
~*Janelle~*
So true!:yep:

EOAA

Biotin broke me out also, Ive only been taking for one solid week(1200mcg),when I noticed bumps all over face(more on cheeks).They are slowly fading now w/ the help of Baking soda, so yes Biotin for me is out.

alwayzalady22

~*Janelle~*

yeah, if i knew the exact dosage where my body would just excrete what it doesn't need, then i'd take that. but since neither i nor anybody else on the forum seems to know what that would be, i'm gonna stick with what works :yep:

biotin is water soluble, so whatever my body uses, it is being excreted, so i think i'm ok :look:

LongiLox

Seems like you had a toxic effect 5000mcg is excessive your body shouldn't take more than 3000mcg from what I read. I am taking a generic Target vitamin pill. It is called Hair, nails, and skin. The reason why I am taking a pill like this vs. straight Biotin is to avoid and adverse reaction like you did. I find that when you just take a vitain that is just one ingredient, it is more than your daily allowance. So I take the Hair, Nails, and Skin multi-vitamin. Hope this info helps.

How much biotin is in the Target brand? The GNC brand has 3,000 mcg of biotin, which is still a lot.

**Glamourlicious**

my acne prone skin has me terrified to try Biotin again...I am tempted...but I do not want to break out. So I am going to see how MSM and horsetail does for me.

gymfreak336

I wish I would have came in here earlier........I take 5mg 2x a day and have been for a while now. I never had any skin issues..

Biotin is a sulfur bearing B-vitamin. If you are sensitive to sulfur, you might not want to take biotin. That is the reason biotin works really well at making the hair grow in thicker and in many cases faster.

It is water soluable but in order to be effective, biotin usually needs to be taken with a b-complex vitamin. The B vitamin family works in harmony. They have a synergistic effect. The combined effectivness of them together is much greater than them alone. This is one reason why they are are lumped together as a family. Usually if you are not seeing results with your biotin, you need to add a 50mg b-complex vitamin.

Also biotin is one supplement that you have to manipulate some times. Doing a loading dose as you introduce it to your system or switching brands periodically can help keep you responding too it.

I hope that helps.......

TooCute

I wish I would have came in here earlier........I take 5mg 2x a day and have been for a while now. I never had any skin issues..

Biotin is a sulfur bearing B-vitamin. If you are sensitive to sulfur, you might not want to take biotin. That is the reason biotin works really well at making the hair grow in thicker and in many cases faster.

It is water soluable but in order to be effective, biotin usually needs to be taken with a b-complex vitamin. The B vitamin family works in harmony. They have a synergistic effect. The combined effectivness of them together is much greater than them alone. This is one reason why they are are lumped together as a family. Usually if you are not seeing results with your biotin, you need to add a 50mg b-complex vitamin.

Also biotin is one supplement that you have to manipulate some times. Doing a loading dose as you introduce it to your system or switching brands periodically can help keep you responding too it.

I hope that helps.......

Wow. Thanks for all that info. I really appreciate that because honestly I don't want to quit the Biotin ( I've been off for ten days now and my skin is nearly normal again).

I'll give it a go one more time with some b-complex and lower dosage...maybe

d-rock

~*Janelle~*

I was thinking the same thing.

2themax

I take 5000mg of Biotin twice/day. :yep: Because I also take B-Complex, Vitamin C and drink "tons" of water, I am no longer getting the bumps or toxic effects from the Biotin and my hair and nails are growing like crazy. However, eventhough my nails are growing faster and are much harder they still tend to chip randomly??!!??

Don't let the Biotin stories scare you. Each body is different. My hair just loves it! :grin: