**~~Toronto ladies, where do you buy your products??~~**

LaPetiteCoquette

Hello, first post on the forum. I have a lot to read and learn from all of you experienced haircare gurus. But first thing's first. I just moved from New York to Toronto and I can't believe that there is such a lack of ethnic hair products, stores, etc. in a place that is so close to the old country, lol. :wallbash:

Can any of you ladies puh-lease help me find the following --

(a) a store that sells real Jamaican black castor oil

(b) a hairdresser that knows how to properly apply a relaxer and is into healthy haircare. I have 4B hair and relax with Phyto Index II (I will bring my own Phyto to the shop).

(c) a store or online retailer that sells indigo (I already get henna from Henna Sooq).

(d) Dominican products (Lacio Lacio, Salerm, Miss Keys). I ordered some stuff from Honey Fig and they were great but I'm really not feeling paying $15 for something that I know I can get for $7 in NY ... plus GST plus PST plus shipping. It just doesn't feel right.

PS - I live in real Toronto (not the GTA) 20 minutes from downtown and 10 minutes from Pearson, so if anyone can help me locate these things and in a place that's close to me, I'd greatly appreciate it. I would also take online suggestions if real stores are not an option. Thanks in advance!!

If I had known it was going to be this hard to find these things, I would have stocked up before I left. I will have to definitely go haircare shopping when I visit NY again.

Last edited:

TdotGirl

Hey There & welcome :wave:

I'm also in Toronto, about 25 minutes from downtown in the east end. I normally buy my products at two locations in Toronto and in NY! The stores that I visit in Toronto are : Discount Beauty Supply and Classique Beauty Supply ( I think I'm misspelling the name).

I only have my friend and my mother relax my hair. I have found a new stylist that has done my sister and my cousins hair and it looks good. I might go to him and get my hair done soon. If he's good, I will let you know.

For black castor oil, I think you should check out a west indian store. They might sell it. I don't know since I don't use it, but that would be a place to start looking. I also don't use henna and I would buy dominican products online.

And it's not that hard to find these stores. It's just that it could be a bit pricey, hence the need to shop in NY. But I have bought products that were just a dollar or two more than products that I would buy across the border.

I think that's everything. I hope that helps :wink2:

Silver

Where I live there are plenty of Black owned beauty supply stores. I live in Scarborough (Sorry GTA). I get it from the same places mentioned Classic Beauty Supply and Discount Beauty Supply (there is a Scarborough Branch). Let me know if there is any other particular products you are looking for.

LaPetiteCoquette

Hey There & welcome :wave:

I'm also in Toronto, about 25 minutes from downtown in the east end. I normally buy my products at two locations in Toronto and in NY! The stores that I visit in Toronto are : Discount Beauty Supply and Classique Beauty Supply ( I think I'm misspelling the name).

I only have my friend and my mother relax my hair. I have found a new stylist that has done my sister and my cousins hair and it looks good. I might go to him and get my hair done soon. If he's good, I will let you know.

For black castor oil, I think you should check out a west indian store. They might sell it. I don't know since I don't use it, but that would be a place to start looking. I also don't use henna and I would buy dominican products online.

And it's not that hard to find these stores. It's just that it could be a bit pricey, hence the need to shop in NY. But I have bought products that were just a dollar or two more than products that I would buy across the border.

I think that's everything. I hope that helps :wink2:

Hello and thanks for the welcome. If you do go to that guy stylist and it is successful, would you please let me know? I went to this one shop inside a small mall (forgot where) and they're a touch ghetto and very harsh with my 4B hair, so I don't know if I want to take my $65 relaxer in there for them to just do damage to my hair (while I get the "pleasure" of listening to the workers fight amongst each other --which is what happened last time :nono:)

I don't know where any of the West Indian stores are. Do you know of any? I heard there may be something on Bathurst. But, Bathurst and what?? Have you heard of any?

Hey, where do you go shopping in NY? I go to the stores uptown (in Harlem and Spanish Harlem) and they're the best -- has everything and at good prices.

I did go to Discount Beauty Supply I think. It's the huge place on the corner (sorry I forgot the street) with a lot of faux hair in the back lining the walls, right? Anyway, the only thing of interest I found there was CON shampoo and Aphogee protein treatment. Everything else didn't seem to healthy to me, just the typical black beauty supply store crap. I had to go to Walmart to find my J/A/S/O/N biotin shampoo and condish and NTM. And I ordered Salerm and Phyto from honeyfig.com. I wanted to get the JBCO from them, but for $15 a bottle that was a little to steep for me. I'm not cheap, I just know it's not that expensive for real and I figured I could try my luck by going to a West Indian store anyway.

Where I live there are plenty of Black owned beauty supply stores. I live in Scarborough (Sorry GTA). I get it from the same places mentioned Classic Beauty Supply and Discount Beauty Supply (there is a Scarborough Branch). Let me know if there is any other particular products you are looking for.

Hey Silver. Thanks so much for the response. If your beauty supply stores have KeraCare (shampoo), Salerm 21, or JBCO, Miss Keys 10 en 1, or indigo, I will make DH drive me to get them. I am looking high and low for these things and just can't find them.

Last edited:

LaPetiteCoquette

Bumping .... I really need JBCO or I think I may end it all, lol. Someone in Toronto and on LHCF has got to know where I can get some. :yep: That's my biggest priority b/c I have literally a drop left in my bottle and I am very sad at what my hair might do if it doesn't get its fix of JBCO.

sky035

Formerly Lisaaa Bonet
Try LOBLAWS SUPERMARKETS: There is a large natural care section that carries Jason, Aubrey Organics, Nature's Gate, Giovanni.

Try NOAH's Natural Foods. Below is a link to all of their locations in TO
http://www.noahsnaturalfoods.ca/ret_store_locator.asp?storeID=25253C03182E4524ACDDB4F565E2742F

Black Beauty Supplies that I have seen in TO do not carry a wide variety of products-if you are conscious about health care. Sorry to say...:nono:.

For Jamaican Black Castor Oil, you may have to travel to areas such as Jane-Finch, or Keele-Finch-Grocery stores in the West End. One large grocery store that I know of is at Keele & Finch, if you are going south, it is on the left hand side. You may also want to try the Jane-Finch Mall. I am sure you might be able to get the castor oil there.

ETA: for Indigo, you may want to check the Albion Mall at Albion & Martingrove Road. There are tons of sellers from India in the mall. As for stylists that will give you better service and a more professional feel (not sure if they will accept your Phyto, but they are worth a call), try:

1. JAZMAN HAIR http://www.jazma.com/
2. Azan's http://azans.sites.toronto.com/

Hope this helps!

IN PERSON SALONS

Curl Ambassadors downtown (159 Harbord Street, near Spadina and College) carries several hair lines that might interest you: kinky Curly Custard, Carol's Daughter, Devacurl,etc.

159 Harbord Street
Toronto, Ontario
M5S 1H1 (416) 922-2888

http://curlysalons.com/index.php?id=10003

I use honeyfig to order Miss Key 10 en 1 because I have not seen any Dominican products in Toronto :nono:

Hope this helps....

Last edited:

Hair Iam

Sounds like your only 1 1/2 hrs from the boarder, you should shop in Buffalo or Amherst NY, online, Bathurst and Oakwood for "Discount beauty supply store", black Castor oil made by Bedessy ...can be locatd at Jas's West and East Indian food store "the corner of " The Westway and Martingrove " they carry a few hair products, Indian oils and powders. Another Black beauty supply store in Malton'"Westwood Mall" about 20 mins from Etobicoke" cold press Castor oil can be located in any health food store ..along with other natural hair products. Beauty supply store in Bramalea City Centre. Sally's is at Rexdale and Islington (in the plaza with Wal Mart)
For Indian oils/powders ....Many Indian stores at Islington and Albion :grin:

Hope this helps ..And welcome to TO ..
.....you'll enjoy summer here check out whats in TO. Ontario Place (fireworks on July 1st), Canada's Wonderland (fireworks on July 1st), Center Island, CN tower, Ontario Science Center, Waterfront , Dragon boat race, Chinese Festival, Woodbine Race track"not encouraging gambling though", Metro Toronto ZOO, CNE(start August), Horse back riding , Playdium, Rib fest (yum yum) Scarborough Bluffs, Chin Picnic, Wild water kingdom, Pioneer Village, Niagara Falls, Marine land, Wine Country, Wasaga Beach, The ROM, China Town, The Danforth "little Italy", Casa Loma,
Drive in Movie in Oakville

WELCOME

p.s
check out my fotki for the hair salon I trust "under my 43rd BD album" the owner is Buster 'Say Karen Johnson sent you" They cater to the stars ..but have reasonable prices..wash flat iron $32 ...if you need more information about the salon ..just email me

Last edited:

LaPetiteCoquette

Thanks sooooo very much Hair I Am, and Lisaa Bonet. Thanks for the suggestions on stores and salons, thanks for the welcome to Toronto, and thanks for the suggestion on things to do in town. I really, really, really appreciate it. :rosebud: I will definitely give your name for reference when if I go to that salon and I am off to stalk your fotki too, Hair I Am!!

Last edited:

ctosha

Welcome to T-Dot! If your looking for JBCO you could try Golden Beauty Supply Store its on Bathurst St. I forgot the exact adress but I can look that up. Owner is west indian they have a wide variety of hair product and the girls are very helpful. They have just commercial products but I do know they carry JBCO.

TdotGirl

Hello and thanks for the welcome. If you do go to that guy stylist and it is successful, would you please let me know? I went to this one shop inside a small mall (forgot where) and they're a touch ghetto and very harsh with my 4B hair, so I don't know if I want to take my $65 relaxer in there for them to just do damage to my hair (while I get the "pleasure" of listening to the workers fight amongst each other --which is what happened last time :nono:)

I don't know where any of the West Indian stores are. Do you know of any? I heard there may be something on Bathurst. But, Bathurst and what?? Have you heard of any?

Hey, where do you go shopping in NY? I go to the stores uptown (in Harlem and Spanish Harlem) and they're the best -- has everything and at good prices.

I did go to Discount Beauty Supply I think. It's the huge place on the corner (sorry I forgot the street) with a lot of faux hair in the back lining the walls, right? Anyway, the only thing of interest I found there was CON shampoo and Aphogee protein treatment. Everything else didn't seem to healthy to me, just the typical black beauty supply store crap. I had to go to Walmart to find my J/A/S/O/N biotin shampoo and condish and NTM. And I ordered Salerm and Phyto from honeyfig.com. I wanted to get the JBCO from them, but for $15 a bottle that was a little to steep for me. I'm not cheap, I just know it's not that expensive for real and I figured I could try my luck by going to a West Indian store anyway.

Hey LaPetiteCoquette,

I will let you know about the hairdresser when I get my hair done in the near future. I've never shopped on bathurst because i'm in the east end of the GTA (sorry can't help you there!)

I shop in Brooklyn. Flatbush and on Church to get my products.

If you're looking for natural products, just go to a health food store. They have products JUST like J/A/S/O/N and more. For NTM, walmart is the place to get it and also drug stores (i.e. shopper's drug mart if they have a sale).

LaPetiteCoquette

Welcome to T-Dot! If your looking for JBCO you could try Golden Beauty Supply Store its on Bathurst St. I forgot the exact adress but I can look that up. Owner is west indian they have a wide variety of hair product and the girls are very helpful. They have just commercial products but I do know they carry JBCO.

Thanks a lot ctosha, I did hear about a Bathurst store, but didn't get the streets or name. I will try and look it up also. Thanks so much!!

LaPetiteCoquette

Hey LaPetiteCoquette,

I will let you know about the hairdresser when I get my hair done in the near future. I've never shopped on bathurst because i'm in the east end of the GTA (sorry can't help you there!)

I shop in Brooklyn. Flatbush and on Church to get my products.

If you're looking for natural products, just go to a health food store. They have products JUST like J/A/S/O/N and more. For NTM, walmart is the place to get it and also drug stores (i.e. shopper's drug mart if they have a sale).

Yeah, I did get my NTM, J/A/S/O/N shampoo and consdish, and Suave conditioner (for cowashing) at Walmart. I was like, this is better then the BSS! LOL, and def. let me know about your hairdresser if you like it.

star*

Finally a toronto thread...

I go to its about beauty on Main and Danforth (about one block west of main on danforth) in East York to buy my stuff.

The woman who owns it also does my hair...she is amazing. No one else will touch my hair after her!!!!

RedVelvet310

(c) a store or online retailer that sells indigo (I already get henna from Henna Sooq).

I know a health store that actually sells henna.. both regular and indigo.. PM me and I'll tell you which mall it is in =)

Last edited:

RedVelvet310

I also found this other health food store that sells a BUNCH of supplements for inexpensive prices.. silica... biosil..msm..etc e\tc, i'd actually have to ask my mom the intersection... but as soon as I find out I'll post it.

LaPetiteCoquette

Hi Bri505!! More Toronto ladies, yeah!! Well, sure definitely post the health food store when you get a chance. Maybe we should use this thread in this manner. Post our Toronto finds, so that we may help members (and lurkers, lol) find things. I'm PM-ing you now about the henna and indigo.

sky035

Formerly Lisaaa Bonet
Hi Bri505!! More Toronto ladies, yeah!! Well, sure definitely post the health food store when you get a chance. Maybe we should use this thread in this manner. Post our Toronto finds, so that we may help members (and lurkers, lol) find things. I'm PM-ing you now about the henna and indigo.

LaPetiteCoquette,
I would be great if we had a list of all the places in TO that we could all use. I know that I am learning alot also as I am currently looking for Dominican products in Toronto. Best of luck with your search!! :yep:

LaPetiteCoquette

star*, is the person you go to a personal friend? Is she good with your hair and does she pay attention to healthy hair practices? My MIL's friend gave me the number for one of her friends who does hair, so I'm going to get my hair relaxed on Saturday (9 week stretch for me). We will see how that goes.

Lisaaa Bonet, I think we will have zero luck finding Dominican products here. We may have to go online. As I said before honeyfig.com was pretty good and though the prices kill me, that may be our only option. But, seriously Toronto ladies, we should just compile a lost of goodies.

ctosha, Golden Beauty is on Bloor St. West and Bathurst. I did get castor oil (and they were really nice) but it is not the one I am used to. I get the cold pressed kind which is a little less thick and the one I usually get comes in a glass bottle. The one they had came in plastic and didn't say "raw and unfiltered" or "Jamaican" (though on the back it notes that this is the type from the Caribbean) and it is really thick and dark. Maybe, it's better? Who knows? The one that honeyfig carries is the exact one I usually get from NY. Anyway, thanks so much for the suggestion. I am going to try Jas's (as suggested by Hair I Am) to see if they have a different kind of castor oil.

Last edited:

ctosha

Just wanted to know if anyone has seen shea butter shea moisture leave in conditioner anywhere in toronto? Ive seen it online at sistasplace but i dont' want to pay for shipping

jayjaycurlz

Just wanted to know if anyone has seen shea butter shea moisture leave in conditioner anywhere in toronto? Ive seen it online at sistasplace but i dont' want to pay for shipping

Do you mean real shea butter or just a leave in with shea butter in it? I know where to get real african shea butter: Go to Torbram/Queen in Brampton. There's a beauty supply store there called Queen of Queens. They sell the African Shea Butter for $4.99 - the best price I've found in the GTA!

LaPetiteCoquette

The Toronto goodies list so far from all of your wonderful posts and what I know/use ~

[B]www.hennasooq.com[/B] : (online retailer for henna, indigo, and other Indian oils and powders). They have offices in Brampton so no obscene shipping costs and customs. You can also do a pick up if you want, which is awesome.

[B]www.honeyfig.com[/B] : (online retailer that caters to healthy hair care). Their items include some Dominican products (Salerm, Lacio Lacio, Miss Keys), Phyto and a lot more. They are FANTASTIC with shipping and really nice and they give free samples and I highly recommend them. Again, they have offices in Toronto so no obscene shipping costs and customs.

Walmart: I picked up J/A/S/O/N biotin shampoo and conditioner, Nuetregena Triple Moisture, and Suave conditioner from there.

Indigo/Henna: Albion Mall at Albion & Martingrove Road has Indian stores where we might find it.

Castor Oil Pure, refined castor oil from India (Jas's East and West Indian Food Store on The Westway and Martingrove ), Nature's Counter Health in Cloverdale Mall, Golden Beauty has some but it's NOT refined or pure --- it is very black and goo-ey in nature (liek motor oil or oil paint in consistency).

Aphogee Discount Beauty Supply, BSS in Agincourt Mall

Glycerin: S&H Health at Vodden/Kennedy Rd in Brampton for $10.99 for 16 oz bottle; Valerie's Beauty Supply, in Scarborough near the UofT campus, on military trail.

CHI products: Shoppers Drug Mart or Trade Secrets.

Shea Butter: Torbram/Queen in Brampton. I also saw some in that Discount Beauty Supply place in Toronto -- the natural African kind, not the processed kind.

Megatek: http://www.hopesbraids.com/ (cheap b/c owner ships through Canada post and doesn't charge a lot for shipping, though prices are set to go up soon).

Beauty Supply Stores:

Golden Beauty (Bathurst and Bloor St. West)
Discount Beauty Supply (Eglinton/Oakwood) by the car dealership
Classique (Classic?) Beauty Supply
Curl Ambassadors - (159 Harbord Street, near Spadina and College) carries several hair lines like kinky Curly Custard, Carol's Daughter, Devacurl.
Its About beauty on Main and Danforth (about one block west of main on danforth) in East York
Llyods (across from Bathurst station)
BSS in Agincourt Mall

Beauty Salons/Stores that "may" carry Dominican products

Angela's (Estilista Dominicana)
384 Kerr street, Oakville,Ontario
(905)-844-1482.

Martha Beauty Centre
2708 Jane Street (entre Sheppard & Finch)
Toronto, Ontario
Tel. 416- 746- 3127.

Latin Hair Caruso latinhaircaruso.jpg
1740 Jane Street Toronto
(416) 240-1952

Durango's Beauty Salon Durango's Beauty Salon
691 St Clair Ave. West Toronto
[email protected] (416) 652-3269

A Tempo Hair Creations
1885 Jane St North York

Alba Hair Styling
Toronto

Alicia's Beauty Salon
764 Wilson Ave Toronto
(416) 630-4025

Carmen Beauty Centre
1978 Davenport Rd Toronto

Carolina Beauty Centre
1016 Weston Rd. Weston
(416) 769-6307

Classic Cuts Unisex
1472 St Clair Ave W Toronto
(416) 653-1102

Cristal Beauty Salon
4335 Bloor St West Etobicoke
(416)621-3000

Elegance by the Lake - Salon and Beauty Spa
723 Lakeshore Blvd. East Mississauga
(905) 272-2122

Elena's Hair Design
509 Rogers Rd W Toronto

Fabiola's Unisex Beauty Salon
2437 Finch Ave W Toronto

Hair Design by Maria
1886 Eglinton Ave W Toronto

Ideal Hair Styling Complete Hair Care
374 Oakwood Ave Toronto
(416) 654-6493

Latin Hair Design
1889 Eglinton Ave W Toronto

Lucy's Beauty Centre
2849 Dufferin St. Toronto
(416) 530-4930

Mariana Beauty Salon
278 Jane Street Toronto
(416)766-6700

Mariana Hairstyling
1547 Jane St Toronto

Martha Beauty Centre
2708 Jane St. Toronto
(416) 746-3127

Nelcy's Hair Salon
2262 keele Street Toronto
(416) 242-6606

New Look Latino
825 Dundas St. West Toronto

People's Hair Styling
1744-A Jane St Toronto
(416) 242-8611

Salon Robert Richard
562 Wilson Heights blvd Toronto
416-633-9222

ScoreCuts
250 Eglinton Avenue West Toronto
(647)430-3755

Solo Hair Studio & Tanning
929 ST. Clair Ave. West Toronto
(416)656-5889

TOTAL LOOK HAIR SALON & DAY SPA
2860 Lakeshore Blvd. West. (Al este de Islington) Etobicoke

Your mobile salon
30 Atira ave Brampton
(905)840-4740

Hair Point
361 Pitfield Road Scarborough
(647) 427-2747

Health /Natural Stores:

NOAH's Natural Foods
health food store Agincourt mall.. it's on Sheppard, east of Brimley Beauty Salons
Nature's Counter Health Food in Cloverdale Mall
Loblaws has a large natural care section that carries Jason, Aubrey Organics, Nature's Gate, Giovanni.

Hair Salons:

JAZMAN HAIR http://www.jazma.com/
Azan's http://azans.sites.toronto.com/

I hope this is helpful!!

Last edited:

ctosha

Do you mean real shea butter or just a leave in with shea butter in it? I know where to get real african shea butter: Go to Torbram/Queen in Brampton. There's a beauty supply store there called Queen of Queens. They sell the African Shea Butter for $4.99 - the best price I've found in the GTA!
the leave in conditioner is called "shea moisture shea butter leave in conditioner" I know some stores in the states sell it but i've never come across it here

nappi

As some have already mentioned there's the Discount hair and beauty supply (Eglinton/Oakwood) by the car dealership

Also there's a spot right across from Bathurst station called Llyods

and a few places in malvern mall ( although u may not want to travel to scarborough if ur all the way downtown

HTH

RedVelvet310

There's a really good health food store in I believe Agincourt mall.. it's on Sheppard, east of Brimley .. the one with the big WalMart and I think no frills. I'm not sure of the name of the health store but its in the mall (its not a big mall either so it easily found), At the back they sell big bags of henna and its 100% natural too =) Oh and theres also a black hair care store in there too that sells aPHogee, keracare and a bunch of other stuff and their pretty inexpensive, they sell a couple dollars less then the other one I go to. I still can't remember the location of that other health food store, I'm calling down my mother for the intersection LOL.

BTW does anyone know where to find glycerin? I can't find it anywhere and I'm getting so frustrated!:drunk:

Last edited:

jayjaycurlz

BTW does anyone know where to find glycerin? I can't find it anywhere and I'm getting so frustrated!:drunk:

Hey Bri!

Check out a health food store. I purchased my 16oz bottle of Now Personal Care 100% Pure Vegetable Glycerine from S&H Health at Vodden/Kennedy Rd in Brampton for $10.99.

But, any heath food store should carry Vegetable Glycerine.

LaPetiteCoquette

Hey Bri!

Check out a health food store. I purchased my 16oz bottle of Now Personal Care 100% Pure Vegetable Glycerine from S&H Health at Vodden/Kennedy Rd in Brampton for $10.99.

But, any heath food store should carry Vegetable Glycerine.

Try Shoppers Drug Mart or even Trade Secrets. I know they sell the CHI product line.

There's a really good health food store in I believe Agincourt mall.. it's on Sheppard, east of Brimley .. the one with the big WalMart and I think no frills. I'm not sure of the name of the health store but its in the mall (its not a big mall either so it easily found), At the back they sell big bags of henna and its 100% natural too =) Oh and theres also a black hair care store in there too that sells aPHogee, keracare and a bunch of other stuff and their pretty inexpensive, they sell a couple dollars less then the other one I go to. I still can't remember the location of that other health food store, I'm calling down my mother for the intersection LOL.

As some have already mentioned there's the Discount hair and beauty supply (Eglinton/Oakwood) by the car dealership

Also there's a spot right across from Bathurst station called Llyods

and a few places in malvern mall ( although u may not want to travel to scarborough if ur all the way downtown

HTH

Thanks for all your answers, ladies. I think this is super helpful!! I am going to edit my original post to add these stores and things to the master list.

I went to Jas's East and West Indian store and picked up pure, refined castor oil. I think this is the closest I am going to get to JBCO. The brand is Bedesee and it's Indian (not Jamaican) and it's a litle lighter in colour (more yellow than amber) but it's the same consistency. I think I will buy and use this as an alternative to buying my heart's desire JBCO from honeyfig. It was $6.99 for 200 mL. The stuff I got the other day definitely was not pure of refined. That is probably why it was so thick and black and goo-ey. :ohwell: I think I will just use it in conditioner and use it to soak my ponytail holders or something.

**Mahalialee asked about L'huile Mascriti on page 1 if anyone knows ..

Does anyone know where to buy OCT or Megatek, either online or in store? Thanks.

Last edited:

Silver

Glycerin can be found at Valerie's Beauty Supply, in Scarborough near the UofT campus, on military trail. It's a small shop, and I do not recommend buying too much from them because they price their stuff a little more than other shops. Many hair stores sell it actually, as well as the yellow castor oil, I believe the brand is called naturel. And they sell them at differenct prices.