Protein drinks

VanillaDream80

I was in Wal-mart this morning, and came across some nutritional drinks, Boost and Ensure. There were variations of the drinks, like just regular, with protein, or lactose free, etc. Does anyone use these or has anyone tried these drinks? I had my eye on the Ensure brand because it said something like 'for those trying to gain or lose weight' (I'm on the 'gain weight side). The 'with protein' type had me intrigued since I've been slacking on my protein intake. I figured 'hey, I can help my hair and gain weight.' But since Wal-mart must sell everything in bulk -- 6 cans for about $8 -- I wanted to get some reviews before I buy. Thanks! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ebony

they are actually great for gaining weight and losing weight. they are like mini meals in a can. my brother has been drinking them for years. he is in great physical condition. he doesn't put very many things in his body and ensure packs him with many vits and proteins that he needs. also, when my dad was dying from cancer, that's what i bought for him as per the doc to help maintain his weight. after awhile they became meals when he could no longer eat regular food. i want to start taking ensure, but i hate milk and don't know if i'll like it. i don't eat breakfast, so for breakfast and after my workouts i use slimfast soy protein drinks. i love them /images/graemlins/grin.gif! they actually taste great too! i purchase them at walmart.

Chipmunk

I've been drinking Ensure for a while now and I love the way it tastes. It's better cold. I don't drink it for weight purposes. I drink them for hair growth...LOL...I noticed that when I eat lots of carrots and drink Ensure my hair grows the fastest. All those vitamins /images/graemlins/wink.gif

BlkMane

My father drinks a can or two of Ensure a day, per the recommendation of his doctor.

They are very good for you.

Regarding the lactose..I thought you could get a lactose-free version? I thought that is what my dad was drinking as he has become lactose-intolerant in his old age. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

BTW, if you end up liking Ensure and plan on making it a part of your daily supplementation, you can buy it in bulk (24 cans) at the warehouse stores which should save you some money.

beana3

I love the taste of enusre and nutrament... I think i'll start taking it again for both general health and hair growth. Of course i'll be exercising regularly in conjuction with my supplementation.

Chipmunk

I really like nutrament, but I can't seem to find it in the stores here anymore /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I guess I need to look harder

Madison

I drink the high protein Ensure with my vits.
Chipmunk where do you live? Nutrament is sold in pratically all the markets here in New york for 99cents.

daviine

I've never found Nutrament for 99 cents. I alwasy foind it for 1.69 or $ 1.79. I usually end up drinking Sports Sjake for $1 which tastes great but its nothing but sugar and saturated fat in a can. /images/graemlins/lick.gif

I hate the way Ensure tastes. I used to like it but after drinking Sport Shakes and Nutrament it's hard to drink. I like sugar.

BlkMane

Make sure you read the Nutrament label carefully. I remember someone telling me that stuff was also loaded with sugar and stuff.

I don't think Nutrament is as healthy as Ensure, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I've seen Nutrament here in NYC at the little dollar stores.

daviine

No it isn't as healthy as Ensure but it tastes better.

I'm going to try that protein drink that someone posted about tasting like McDonald's shake. I hope my taste buds agree.

G

I remember trying the choclalte flavored Boost drink several years ago. That stuff tasted so nasty! I immediately spit it out. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif It was so gross! Hopefully they've changed the formula since then!

One of my sisters use to love Ensure. She liked it so much she use to drink it everyday.

HTH!

VanillaDream80

Wow, thanks so much for all the input! /images/graemlins/smile.gif The next time I go to Wal-mart, I'll definitely purchase a pack of Ensure. Thanks again!

Chipmunk

Madison, I live in Northern California...it used to be in all the markets, but now I can't find it. Maybe I need to look harder.

LondonDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
BlkMane said:
Make sure you read the Nutrament label carefully. I remember someone telling me that stuff was also loaded with sugar and stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the same nutrament as I'm thinking of that we have over here, then yes it does have loads of sugar in it, I can't remember exactly in what form the sugar is present in Nutrament but just looking at the can hurts my teeth, and I'm a sweet tooth junkie.

caress

I drink Boost protein and Boost Plus in the vanilla and strawberry flavors. I like the taste of both. I'm drinking them to gain weight though.

honeycomb719

Vanilla Ensure is great for gaing weight, I used it about 3 years ago to help me pick up some weight. Went from 110 to 130 in about 3mths. U have to drink one between every meal. As far as it's effects on hair, I didn't notice any, but I wasn't taking others vitamins, so your experince might be different. Good luck on the weight gain /images/graemlins/smile.gif Just watch out, things can get out of hand /images/graemlins/smile.gif

beana3

I've been drinking 1 vanila ensure everyday sometimes with and sometimes without meals. I have to be honest with you all and say I really dont like the taste of it, it tastes worse than i remember!!1 Maybe its the store i'm getting it from i'll try around again. It tastes like the "can" sometimes.
I love nutrament though, I've been trying to stay away from that b/c its loaded with fat and sugar and has less vitamins. But i know it would probably put on weight in no time if i drank that.

VanillaDream80

I wouldn't say that they help hair grow; like one of the other members said, they're like mini meals. Sorry, I should have posted this topic as ' nutritional drinks' or something like that. The only reason I asked for reviews of these drinks was to know if anyone has used them and what did they think about them. I finally purchased the Ensure High Protein drinks in Chocolate Royale. They taste pretty good. I drink one each day for breakfast and it fills me up until lunch. This drink has 12g of protein in it, which is better than none for me right now; I have been seriously slipping on my protein intake. I'm waiting on my order of Twinlab Amino Fuel to come in -- if I had known it was going to take this long, I would have just gone to GNC! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

prettygrl

I tried to use boost before to gain weight and it didn't work for me. It works kind of like slimfast, it is essentially a meal in a can. When I drank it I would be full and didn't want to eat anything else. Which really defeats the purpose.

BronxDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Chipmunk said:
I really like nutrament, but I can't seem to find it in the stores here anymore /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I guess I need to look harder

[/ QUOTE ]

I like nutrament also especially for the fact that it has Biotin in it /images/graemlins/lick.gif

caress

That's funny about the Boost. I drink it between meals and sometimes even with my meal as it it were just a cup of juice. It barely feels me up. I think I need to drink it more often than once a day though to see any real results.