Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-11-2008, 03:23 PM
audacity. audacity. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 75
Thanked 136 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)
Default Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

when used topically?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-11-2008, 03:30 PM
ebzonix ebzonix is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 343
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

I'm trying to figure that out myself.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-11-2008, 03:32 PM
firecracker's Avatar
firecracker firecracker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 24,658
Thanks: 25,110
Thanked 17,356 Times in 3,877 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
Tagged: 48 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

No only black folk word of mouth that if you mix sulfur 8 w/glovers mane your hair will be waist length with a quickness but the smell is horrid!


Ok but seriously I don't know!
__________________
341409_287392961298479_1884084577_o Bring it on!
Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't" Erica Jong
http://public.fotki.com/fxybrwn909/texturized-journey/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-11-2008, 03:33 PM
naturalgurl naturalgurl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,666
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

Just updated my fotki and posted this there. I use it mixed with amla oil. MSM is sulfur...

MSM is quickly becoming known for its role in hair growth. MSM is a naturally occurring form of sulfur found in many foods. However, conventional processing and cooking methods significantly decrease the effectiveness of MSM from foods. This is why it may be beneficial to supplement MSM for hair growth.


How does it work? MSM can naturally lengthen your hair’s growth phase.


Your hair grows in three cycles: Growing, Resting, and Shedding. Each and every hair on your head (even body) is in one of these phases at all times. However, you may not notice significant shedding, because you have many other hairs in the other two phases at the same time.


So how will MSM make your hair grow longer? If your “Growing” phase lasts two years, and your hair normally grows one half inch per month, your hair will only grow 12 inches before entering the resting and shedding phases. (24 months times ½ inch per month).


On the other hand, if your “Growing” phase lasts 3 years, then it will grow 18 inches. (36 months times ½ inch per month).


Since your growth phase is genetically determined, there is no way this will change unless you use a supplement containing MSM. MSM is known to naturally increase the length of your hair’s growing phase.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-11-2008, 03:36 PM
audacity. audacity. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 75
Thanked 136 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
No only black folk word of mouth that if you mix sulfur 8 w/glovers mane your hair will be waist length with a quickness but the smell is horrid!


Ok but seriously I don't know!
well, that's kinda the reason i am asking...in all the research that i've done, i've yet to find ONE study (or article for that matter) that says sulfur grows your hair when you put it on your scalp. there are a few that talk about the affects sulfur has on the scalp to rid the itchies and such, but even that aspect of topical sulfur usage is skeptical to me...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-11-2008, 03:38 PM
audacity. audacity. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 75
Thanked 136 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalgurl View Post
Just updated my fotki and posted this there. I use it mixed with amla oil. MSM is sulfur...

MSM is quickly becoming known for its role in hair growth. MSM is a naturally occurring form of sulfur found in many foods. However, conventional processing and cooking methods significantly decrease the effectiveness of MSM from foods. This is why it may be beneficial to supplement MSM for hair growth.


How does it work? MSM can naturally lengthen your hair’s growth phase.


Your hair grows in three cycles: Growing, Resting, and Shedding. Each and every hair on your head (even body) is in one of these phases at all times. However, you may not notice significant shedding, because you have many other hairs in the other two phases at the same time.


So how will MSM make your hair grow longer? If your “Growing” phase lasts two years, and your hair normally grows one half inch per month, your hair will only grow 12 inches before entering the resting and shedding phases. (24 months times ½ inch per month).


On the other hand, if your “Growing” phase lasts 3 years, then it will grow 18 inches. (36 months times ½ inch per month).


Since your growth phase is genetically determined, there is no way this will change unless you use a supplement containing MSM. MSM is known to naturally increase the length of your hair’s growing phase.
is this taking MSM internally (we ALL know that it has been proven to speed up hair growth when ingested) or TOPICALLY????
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-11-2008, 03:50 PM
firecracker's Avatar
firecracker firecracker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 24,658
Thanks: 25,110
Thanked 17,356 Times in 3,877 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
Tagged: 48 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverGirl View Post
well, that's kinda the reason i am asking...in all the research that i've done, i've yet to find ONE study (or article for that matter) that says sulfur grows your hair when you put it on your scalp. there are a few that talk about the affects sulfur has on the scalp to rid the itchies and such, but even that aspect of topical sulfur usage is skeptical to me...
I tried MSM. Its a joint sulfur. It changed my hair texture, broke me out and gave me wild dreams. I stopped taking it
__________________
341409_287392961298479_1884084577_o Bring it on!
Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't" Erica Jong
http://public.fotki.com/fxybrwn909/texturized-journey/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-11-2008, 03:57 PM
audacity. audacity. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 75
Thanked 136 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
I tried MSM. Its a joint sulfur. It changed my hair texture, broke me out and gave me wild dreams. I stopped taking it
yeah, i heard about the crazy MSM dreams...you were taking it internally, huh? not as a topical hair treatment?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-11-2008, 04:00 PM
naturalgurl naturalgurl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,666
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

I put it on topically. Looks like it's another one of those things "not for everyone". I take a lot of herbal supplements so I chose topical over internal.


Firecracker, how did your texture change. No changes here so far and it says it could change your hair texture. Maybe I just can't tell.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-11-2008, 04:02 PM
gymfreak336's Avatar
gymfreak336 gymfreak336 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: In chemistry class
Posts: 20,773
Blog Entries: 14
Thanks: 12
Thanked 197 Times in 128 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

Here is my theory

Sulufr is widely regarded as a "Fertilizer" of the skin, hair and nails. The exact mechanism behind that isn't know but what we do know is that hair is composed of the sulfur bearing amino acids. Methionine, cysteine, a little taurine etc.. Sulfur also helps promote enzymes that are involved in protein assembly which would benefit hair since hair is protein. Sulfur also has a antibacterial effect which would help regulate the balance of good and bad bateria on your skin and scalp. It also is an anti-inflammatory and if your skin tissues are irritated, your body isn't going to perform any process involving them as efficently. Your skin is a semipermable membrane. It is able to absorb material directly into the cell, especially when the carrier is a lipid. If you increase the amount of sulfur your epithelial cells are receiving through diet and topical use, you promote faster, more effiecent protein assembly. This is also why sulfur is used in alot of lotions for people with dermatitis or acne. The antibacterial effect and the anti-inflammory properties of sulfur combined with the fact that sulfur is found in high amount of our keratin would allow our cells extra nourishment to package and assemble protiens like collagen protein in our skin or keratin protein in our hair and skin.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-11-2008, 04:07 PM
ebzonix ebzonix is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 343
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

I've started to take MSM, (speaking of it, I need to take it now). I havent been regular with it though, I need to be so I can get the benefit of it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-11-2008, 04:08 PM
firecracker's Avatar
firecracker firecracker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 24,658
Thanks: 25,110
Thanked 17,356 Times in 3,877 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
Tagged: 48 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverGirl View Post
yeah, i heard about the crazy MSM dreams...you were taking it internally, huh? not as a topical hair treatment?
Yes I took the pills over a period of time til I couldn't take the break outs.
__________________
341409_287392961298479_1884084577_o Bring it on!
Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't" Erica Jong
http://public.fotki.com/fxybrwn909/texturized-journey/
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-11-2008, 04:09 PM
firecracker's Avatar
firecracker firecracker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 24,658
Thanks: 25,110
Thanked 17,356 Times in 3,877 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
Tagged: 48 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalgurl View Post
I put it on topically. Looks like it's another one of those things "not for everyone". I take a lot of herbal supplements so I chose topical over internal.


Firecracker, how did your texture change. No changes here so far and it says it could change your hair texture. Maybe I just can't tell.
It softened the texture and my strands were not as coarse feeling. It kinda of reminded me of when my hair was stripped with bleach. I liked it the softness.
__________________
341409_287392961298479_1884084577_o Bring it on!
Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't" Erica Jong
http://public.fotki.com/fxybrwn909/texturized-journey/
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-11-2008, 04:16 PM
audacity. audacity. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,160
Thanks: 75
Thanked 136 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalgurl View Post
I put it on topically. Looks like it's another one of those things "not for everyone". I take a lot of herbal supplements so I chose topical over internal.


Firecracker, how did your texture change. No changes here so far and it says it could change your hair texture. Maybe I just can't tell.
not knocking anyone who uses it topically, just wondering if using it topically actually GREW the hair the way it is said to do when taken internally...i myself was an avid MTGer in a former life...the info you posted didn't specify (i concluded that the article was referring to internal MSM as it mentioned supplements) which is why i asked topical or internal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymfreak336
Here is my theory

Sulufr is widely regarded as a "Fertilizer" of the skin, hair and nails. The exact mechanism behind that isn't know but what we do know is that hair is composed of the sulfur bearing amino acids. Methionine, cysteine, a little taurine etc.. Sulfur also helps promote enzymes that are involved in protein assembly which would benefit hair since hair is protein. Sulfur also has a antibacterial effect which would help regulate the balance of good and bad bateria on your skin and scalp. It also is an anti-inflammatory and if your skin tissues are irritated, your body isn't going to perform any process involving them as efficently. Your skin is a semipermable membrane. It is able to absorb material directly into the cell, especially when the carrier is a lipid. If you increase the amount of sulfur your epithelial cells are receiving through diet and topical use, you promote faster, more effiecent protein assembly. This is also why sulfur is used in alot of lotions for people with dermatitis or acne. The antibacterial effect and the anti-inflammory properties of sulfur combined with the fact that sulfur is found in high amount of our keratin would allow our cells extra nourishment to package and assemble protiens like collagen protein in our skin or keratin protein in our hair and skin.
So are you saying that since it is a "fertilizer" (i am contrasting/comparing it to plant fertilizer here) that sulfur makes for a better growing environment for hair? i can dig that...that is why it is used to alleviate itchies and the reason that i can find info about sulfur for this usage and nothing about its hair-growing qualities when used topically...

Last edited by audacity.; 06-11-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-11-2008, 04:20 PM
gymfreak336's Avatar
gymfreak336 gymfreak336 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: In chemistry class
Posts: 20,773
Blog Entries: 14
Thanks: 12
Thanked 197 Times in 128 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverGirl View Post
not knocking anyone who uses it topically, just wondering if using it topically actually GREW the hair the way it is said to do when taken internally...i myself was an avid MTGer in a former life...the info you posted didn't specify (i concluded that the article was referring to internal MSM as it mentioned supplements) which is why i asked topical or internal



So are you saying that since it is a "fertilizer" (i am contrasting/comparing it to plant fertilizer here) that sulfur makes for a better growing environment for hair? i can dig that...that is why it is used to alleviate itchies and the reason that i can find info about sulfur for this usage and nothing about its hair-growing qualities when used topically...
That is what I think. I think growth aids in general make the growing environment better for hair growth by either reducing inflammation, increasing circulation, regulating oil and bacteria and things like that. T
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Lavendar's Avatar
Lavendar Lavendar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,840
Thanks: 89
Thanked 331 Times in 53 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

I don't know of any studies done for topical sulfur use. I have tried it and it did seem to significantly increase my new growth. I didn't get to use it long enough to see how long this effect would have actually lasted. Unfortunately, my hair broke off wherever it touched my hair. I would try to concentrate it on my scalp, but still wispy hairs everywhere. I tried it a few times with a couple of different sulfur-containing products and came to the conclusion that my scalp loves it, but my hair cannot tolerate it. I do take 5000 mg of MSM per day. I had to work through the breakout stage. From other people's experiences, I knew it was coming so I just treated my face as best I could until the breakouts calmed down and went away. I do hate the blemishes, but I can say it was so worth it be patient and get through the rough spots. Allergy symptoms significantly reduced and no medication needed (lots of $$$ saved for hair products), old knee injury pain gone, forearm pain gone and typing speed significantly increased, regularity greatly improved. I can't do without it. I will say that if I slack up on the MSM, like I just did recently for about 2 weeks, I have to go through the whole breakout process again, but it doesn't seem to last as long.
__________________

I's Natural Now!!!


BC - 07/13/2012
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-11-2008, 04:39 PM
naturalgurl naturalgurl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,666
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

Did you ladies know that there are impure forms of MSM? Just a thought since Firecracker broke out and had weird dreams. Some MSM has fossil fuel and petroleum derivatives(which is fossil fuel). Using it topically works just as well. Once absorbed into the scalp it's in the blood stream. And as stated in the informative narrative ny gymfreak it's good for the environment of the hair for growth as well. Considering I've been doing the all natural thing since late January my hair is growing, no break outs and I have no ill words about it.

I get my MSM from: http://www.herbalremedies.com/1361.html
Read about it rather than take my word...

Last edited by naturalgurl; 06-11-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Lavendar's Avatar
Lavendar Lavendar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,840
Thanks: 89
Thanked 331 Times in 53 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

Fossil fuel??? Didn't know that. I do know that MSM is an internal cleanser and can kill parasites. I believe that's why people experience breakouts. You have to go through the purging stage. TMI, but it works just like a colon cleanser on me in the beginning then it keeps me very regular, which I have NEVER been. Just drink a lot of water and work on your skin until it starts to heal and glow.
__________________

I's Natural Now!!!


BC - 07/13/2012
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-11-2008, 05:05 PM
PassionFruit PassionFruit is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,660
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalgurl View Post
Did you ladies know that there are impure forms of MSM? Just a thought since Firecracker broke out and had weird dreams. Some MSM has fossil fuel and petroleum derivatives(which is fossil fuel). Using it topically works just as well. Once absorbed into the scalp it's in the blood stream. And as stated in the informative narrative ny gymfreak it's good for the environment of the hair for growth as well. Considering I've been doing the all natural thing since late January my hair is growing, no break outs and I have no ill words about it.

I get my MSM from: http://www.herbalremedies.com/1361.html
Read about it rather than take my word...
I buy sublimed sulfur powder... or flowers of sulfur powder and mix into my oil and/or moisturizer....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-11-2008, 05:07 PM
naturalgurl naturalgurl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,666
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is there any SCIENTIFIC proof that SULFUR grows hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionFruit View Post
I buy sublimed sulfur powder... or flowers of sulfur powder and mix into my oil and/or moisturizer....
That stick man needs to be backed up to my gas tank!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



» Advertisment

» Advertisment

» Advertisment

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright © 2002-2011, Long Hair Care Forum™, LLC.
Site Maintenance Nikos Dimopoulos - www.niden.net