For those of your who MINI-TWIST your own hair????

oooop2

I have a few questions:

1. How long does it take you to do?

2. How long do they typically last?

3. Do you wash your hair when they are in mini-twist? If so, how often?

4. How do you keep them moisturized?

5. How do you prevent them from tangling?

I am contemplating putting some mini-twist in for an upcoming vacation. So I wanted to hear how others took care of theirs.

TIA :)

wonderstar

1. How long does it take you to do? Hours...3,4 depending on my energy level and comfort.

2. How long do they typically last? A few days shy of 1 month.

3. Do you wash your hair when they are in mini-twist? If so, how often? Yes but only after week two then once a week until I remove them.

4. How do you keep them moisturized? Spritz (water and conditoner) then seal with oil or a very light butter.

5. How do you prevent them from tangling? Well you can't especially once they get wet, my strands don't like to feel left out. They love group hugs:lachen:.

oooop2

1. How long does it take you to do? Hours...3,4 depending on my energy level and comfort.

2. How long do they typically last? A few days shy of 1 month.

3. Do you wash your hair when they are in mini-twist? If so, how often? Yes but only after week two then once a week until I remove them.

4. How do you keep them moisturized? Spritz (water and conditoner) then seal with oil or a very light butter.

5. How do you prevent them from tangling? Well you can't especially once they get wet, my strands don't like to feel left out. They love group hugs:lachen:.

You are hilarious :lachen:. So what do you do when your strands start hugging? How do you prevent increased breakage. And how often do you mini-twist your hair???

Fine 4s

I have a few questions:

Depends on the size but on average about 4 hrs +.
My last twist set took 6 Hrs.

I use to do them every week but now, I give them free and redo every 2 weeks. This time I'm going for 4 weeks and take it from there.

I wash and DC every week even with the twists in.

A apply a thick moisturizer on the hair length and ends and seal with an oil. I apply a water based moisturizer in the front and baggie my whole head at night.

I don't do anything to avoid them from tangling. When I'm ready to re-do the twist I'll apply some kind of detangler and comb out the shedded hairs before I wash VERY gently.

I am contemplating putting some mini-twist in for an upcoming vacation. So I wanted to hear how others took care of theirs.

You might get fuzzies so be prepare for a plan B. There was a thread yesterday that discussed minimizing the fuzzies. Some folks wash their hair with a stocking cap on to avoid them.

wonderstar

[/color]

You are hilarious :lachen:. So what do you do when your strands start hugging? How do you prevent increased breakage. And how often do you mini-twist your hair???

Most times I just let them do their thing or stretch them by doing bantu's and buns. I pay keen attention to the ends though so they don't knot. Sometimes I may have to retwist the very ends.

Honestly speaking like once a year:perplexed but I want to do them again for my birthday next month and then in August for a wedding I'll be in.

Nonie

I have never timed myself but I'd guess about 2-3 hours. I'm usually watching something on TV so I don't realize how much time goes by while I'm doing my hair.

If you mean, how long do they stay neat, till the second or third wash. But I tend to touch them up every few days so I could wear them for a long time, just as I do braids.

I do. I wash my hair at least twice a week and it's a loooong time since I washed my hair when not braided or twists. So yes, I wash in them, CW or DC in them, ACV rinse in them every 3 days or so. I do dunk my head in ACV solution or CW every morning so the twists can drip dry and hang down straight. So I seem to spend more time in water when in twists than when not in them.

I don't use any leave-ins when in twists or braids so my frequent washing and conditioning is how I keep them "moisturized".

They don't seem to tangle at all, the twists. Neither does the hair. I don't know if it's the frequent ACV rinsing that keeps the hair strands smooth so they don't hook on each other or the use of no products. But when I untwist, the hairs just separate with ease. I think one also has to be patient when undoing them. Really make sure you untwist in the opposite direction. I find untwisting from the base easiest and when you separate the two strands, you need to start untwisting each strand again from the base, using fingers to fan the hair out as you untwist. I don't use a comb when doing this. Also perhaps my regular redoing prevents the hair from matting?

Good luck. I find twists such a fun do. I love the dread loc look I get after a few washes when they get really messy--but only for a weekend do. I just wish my hair could hurry up and reach my butt :look: so I can do much more with twists. Since I wear them shrunken, leaving them loose is a do I can only sport at home or on weekends while my hair is short. If I can get it to greater lengths, I could be rocking some hawt dos (buns, rolls, etc) for work. *sigh*

Desarae

1. How long does it take you to do? Too long (2-3 hours)

2. How long do they typically last? 10 days

3. Do you wash your hair when they are in mini-twist? If so, how often? I rinsed mine every other day. I will NEVER do that again. I got hella knots when it was time to take them down. I had to get a trim afterwards both times I did them.

4. How do you keep them moisturized? Spritz with Glycerin Mix and add Vatika Oil

5. How do you prevent them from tangling? I don't know, but I suggest wetting (Soaking) them as little as possible.

They are really cute though. I love mini twists. Did you see MS-GG's?

Bigghair

I have a few questions:

1. How long does it take you to do? between 6 and 11 hours

2. How long do they typically last? I keep them for about 2 weeks, but they can last wayyyyy longer

3. Do you wash your hair when they are in mini-twist? If so, how often? Yes after about 8 days

4. How do you keep them moisturized? Slather on heavy cream

5. How do you prevent them from tangling? Just take your time taking them down a little each day with something that adds slip/moisture

I am contemplating putting some mini-twist in for an upcoming vacation. So I wanted to hear how others took care of theirs. Good luck. You will love them.

Be sure to post your results.:yep:

serenity326

Hi there!

I have to admit that I don't usually wear mini twists, but I have done one set (picture below)

These took me an ENTIRE day (about 12 hours over the course of a few days - with plenty of stops in between)

I kept them in for about 10 days (I think), but they were still in good shape at that point and I could have kept them in longer (I think they are about 3 days old in this picture) After that, I wear a twistout for about a week - so in total the style lasts about 2 and a half weeks

I condition rinse my hair - I don't do any scrubbing or disturbing the twists. I do this probably twice over the course of a week and DEFINITELY do not rinse/wash when I wear the twistout

I twisted them on freshly washed and airdried hair with a shea butter moisturizer that I purchased from another woman on fotki

I never have any tangles with my twists

My parting words are to take your time with them - I am sure they will look beautiful - please add photos when you are done! :grin:

LadyKaypnyc

1. How long does it take you to do? Between 6-8 hours

2. How long do they typically last? 3-4 weeks, but I don't leave them in longer than 2-3 weeks b/c they eventually start to loc

3. Do you wash your hair when they are in mini-twist? If so, how often? With ORS Herbal Cleanse Dry Shampoo and I let the water mist over my hair when I take a shower, and other way and they are a tangled mess:nono:

4. How do you keep them moisturized? I apply moisturizer like I would to untwisted hair, or I spray with a wet leave in detangler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m37xqbDJEA

I spray them with a wet leave in.

Last edited:

luv04

1. How long does it take you to do? Between 3-4hrs

2. How long do they typically last? 3 weeks before they start to lock

3. Do you wash your hair when they are in mini-twist? I usually co-wash with any cheapie and then ill retwist with various pomades..(shea butter, dark and lovely naturally honey kissed hair dress..<3 that stuff..or organics mega moisturizer, ic moisturizer.

4. How do you keep them moisturized? Spray bottle with water and castor oil ends

Not much tangling to worry about

Last point: mini twists are great my hair has thrived from twisting in general no complaints!:)I usually do on wet hair and air dry.and divide with four sections

anon123

dang, serenity, your twists are gorgeous!

okay, that's all i have to add. i do mine small (65-75) but not that small. they couldn't last long enough without locking to be worth the work to me.

oooop2

Thanks ladies for the wonderful input. I plan to henna tonight and start my mini-twist tomorrow. I'll DEFINITELY post pics when I am done.

Thanks again :)

d-rock

1. How long does it take you to do? Between 6-8 hours

2. How long do they typically last? 3-4 weeks, but I don't leave them in longer than 2-3 weeks b/c they eventually start to loc

3. Do you wash your hair when they are in mini-twist? If so, how often? With ORS Herbal Cleanse Dry Shampoo and I let the water mist over my hair when I take a shower, and other way and they are a tangled mess:nono:

4. How do you keep them moisturized? I apply moisturizer like I would to untwisted hair, or I spray with a wet leave in detangler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m37xqbDJEA

I spray them with a wet leave in.

Yours are cute... where did you find that dry shampoo?

fivetimestwo

Hi there!

I have to admit that I don't usually wear mini twists, but I have done one set (picture below)

These took me an ENTIRE day (about 12 hours over the course of a few days - with plenty of stops in between)

I kept them in for about 10 days (I think), but they were still in good shape at that point and I could have kept them in longer (I think they are about 3 days old in this picture) After that, I wear a twistout for about a week - so in total the style lasts about 2 and a half weeks

I condition rinse my hair - I don't do any scrubbing or disturbing the twists. I do this probably twice over the course of a week and DEFINITELY do not rinse/wash when I wear the twistout

I twisted them on freshly washed and airdried hair with a shea butter moisturizer that I purchased from another woman on fotki

I never have any tangles with my twists

My parting words are to take your time with them - I am sure they will look beautiful - please add photos when you are done! :grin:

your hair is gorgeous!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I can do very small twists on my twa, but I still need tips on taming my hair at the crown. How do I get them to not stick up?

BklynHeart

How do you ladies keep your parts looking so great in the back? That's an issue for me, parting them in that pattern so they don't show and makes the twists look fuller.

JustKiya

Dang! I want to know how ya'll are doing them so FAST! It takes me two hours or so to do my 'normal' twists, and they are about 3 times bigger than 'mini' ones - I would have to dedicate a whole day to doing that!

serenity326

I can do very small twists on my twa, but I still need tips on taming my hair at the crown. How do I get them to not stick up?

Try tying them down at night and rinsing them with water when you wake up

your hair is gorgeous!
Thank you! :grin:

WOW, those are absolutely pretty :yep:

gracious :grin:

dang, serenity, your twists are gorgeous!
I appreciate your compliment! (I am working on not getting a big head here! :blush:)

How do you ladies keep your parts looking so great in the back? That's an issue for me, parting them in that pattern so they don't show and makes the twists look fuller.
Try the grab and twist method - if you make parts deliberately - they are very likely to show!

oooop2

Well I DID IT!!!

Last night, I gave myself a really good henna treatment:

And this morning, I started this:

And tonight I had this:

It took me almost 5hrs to do. But I took many breaks during the process. Kids

I am PRAYING that these babies stay in at least 2-3wks. Hopefully I'll see some growth after

Nonie

Oooops, those are beautiful. I am with you that they better stay coz I'll be pissed if such beauty unravels before eyes have feasted 'nuff on them. Love how full your hair looks!

brownsugarflyygirl

Hi there!

Gorgeous!!! You make me want to put a set in my hair.

Im happy for this thread because I always considered "mini-twists" to be regular twists and wondered why it took me 5-6 hours to do mine and everyone else only took 1-2...now I know. Great thread and beautiful turnout OP!!

Ivie184

1. How long does it take you to do? About 3 hours

2. How long do they typically last? 3-4 weeks....one time 5 weeks:ohwell: (never again)

3. Do you wash your hair when they are in mini-twist? If so, how often? I've tried to wash them before but that was a total disaster so now I use Sea Breeze or leave them alone:look:

4. How do you keep them moisturized? I spritz them with my daily spritz (water, castor oil and glycerine) and/or moisturize my ends with shealoe.

5. How do you prevent them from tangling? I never get or have tangles.

:grin:HTH. I have pics in my fotki if you would like to take a look

http://public.fotki.com/Osamene/1/2008/may-2008-/dsc01072.html
http://public.fotki.com/Osamene/1/2008/may-2008-/dsc01076.html
http://public.fotki.com/Osamene/1/2008/may-2008-/dsc01081.html
http://public.fotki.com/Osamene/1/2008/january-2008/dsc00608.html

Lucky's Mom

These are gorgeous!
I don't know how I missed this thread - I wore mini twists for my graduation. I left the flat iron alone - and loved my low bun.

I will show pics in my fotki.
I have not done anything but rinse - use sprtiz, and cayenne pepper oil to tame itchies. I love it.
Once family leaves town - I will retwist.... Mine come untwisted alot....

They have been in for about 11 days.

Well I DID IT!!!

Last night, I gave myself a really good henna treatment:

And this morning, I started this:

And tonight I had this:

It took me almost 5hrs to do. But I took many breaks during the process. Kids

I am PRAYING that these babies stay in at least 2-3wks. Hopefully I'll see some growth after

oooop2

:dance7::kneel::thewave:

I love it - and all the smilies are partying for you!!!

PS - how did you get them done so quickly??? I must be the slowest twister on this board!!!

Thanks ladies for the kind words..Serenity, your hair and Ms-ggs fotki pics REALLY inspired me to do them. I was just tired of fooling w/ my hair on a daily basis. And my hair seems to do its best when in twist.

After my henna, I put my hair in chunky twist. Then this morning, I just tackled 1 chunky twist at a time.