Bentonite Clay: I Need Some Answers

Urban

I wouldn't call it a deep conditioner.... maybe deep cleanser???

I used it for the first time a few weeks ago. I really liked it. It made my hair and scalp very clean without stripping ... my curl pattern loosened quite a bit, but that was temporary. Upon semi-drying my hair started to feel a bit hard, but once I applied a small amount of a shikakai+amla tea rinse, it softened right up. It worked really well on my face too.

It's definitely a keeper for me : )

AtlantaJJ

I have some Yerba Prima Purified Bentonite GP Premium Grade USP/NF hydrated with filtered water that is to be taken for internal cleansing.

I haven't used it yet.

I wonder if I could put this in some conditoner :scratchch...

That also reminds me, I was supposed to do a cleanse....

ETA:

I'm not sure about using it my hair just yet but I am going to use it on my face and do my cleanse next month.

Thanks OP for the reminder :up:

Last edited:

mj11051

Mineral Content
Silica- 61.4%
Aluminum- 18.1%
Iron- 3.5%
Sodium- 2.3%
Magnesium- 1.7%
Calcium- 0.04%
Titanium- 0.02%
Potassium- 0.01%
Moisture- 7.8%
pH - 8.3 - 9.1

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is it?[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Bentonite, also referred to as Montmorillonite, is one of the most effective and powerful healing clays used to treat both internal and external maladies. Bentonite can be used externally as a clay poultice, mud pack or in the bath and, in skin care recipes. Internally it can be added to water or glazed upon food to help those with sensitive palates. A good quality Bentonite should be a grey/cream color and anything bordering "pure white" is suspect. It has a very fine, velveteen feel and is odorless and non-staining. The type of bentonite offered by Mountain Rose herbs is a Sodium Bentonite.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How does it work? [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Bentonite is very unusual in the fact that once it becomes hydrated, the electrical and molecular components of the clay rapidly change and produce an "electrical charge". Its highest power lies in the ability to absorb toxins, impurities, heavy metals and other internal contaminants. Bentonite clay's structure assists it in attracting and soaking up poisons on its exterior wall and then slowly draw them into the interior center of the clay where it is held in a sort of repository.
To state it another way…
"Bentonite is a swelling clay. When it becomes mixed with water it rapidly swells open like a highly porous sponge. From here the toxins are drawn into the sponge through electrical attraction and once there, they are bound.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Internal Use*
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Typical, historical and general internal preparations are… [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Large physical stature: Take one tablespoonful of Bentonite and add it to about eight ounces of liquid and thoroughly mix until the clay is completely combined with the water.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium physical stature: Take one heaping teaspoon of Bentonite and add it to about eight ounces of liquid and thoroughly mix until the clay is completely combined with the water.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Light physical stature: Take one level teaspoon of Bentonite and add it to about eight ounces of liquid and thoroughly mix until the clay is completely combined with the water. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]External Use*
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Typical, historical and general external preparations and general guidelines are…..
Add 2-3 ounces of Bentonite clay to your bath and thoroughly mix in, soak and enjoy.
For external packs add one part clay to three parts water or until you reach desired consistency, mix thoroughly to an even paste and apply to skin area
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Where does it come from? [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Bentonite clay is sedimentary clay composed of weathered and aged volcanic ash. The largest and most active deposits come from Wyoming and Montana. (Mountain Rose Herbs stocks a Wyoming variety).
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How is it manufactured? [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Bentonite is usually quarry mined from deposits that can range anywhere from 100 feet to several thousand feet. This depends on the health and vitality of the land it is processed from and how far a producer will go to find the right clay with the proper characteristics and consistency.
From here it is mined from the earth and brought out into the sun to remove excess water and moisture and, to make it easier to work with. After the initial drying begins the final transformation. It gets processed (ground) with huge hydraulic crushers and it then goes through the final process of micronization, or "fine granulating". This is usually done with the assistance of sophisticated and expensive granulators. Upon completion of this final process it gets inspected by a quality control team and is sent off for consumer use
[/FONT]

AtlantaJJ

I have the type that is prepared for taking internally, it's not thick enough to use as a mask. Thanks MJ11 for posting that useful info!! I'm going to start taking in internally soon, I hear good things about it! :up:

~CurlyNikki~

I'm loving it...on my face and hair. I'm throwing out all of my shampoos! It leaves me with ridiculously soft hair that doesn't feel stripped...it clumps my curls and smooths them quite a bit. It will definitely become apart of my routine.

lilsparkle825

i am trying the baking soda texturizer today so i won't be trying this for another few weeks, but i have the big jar of it from when i used it on my face (i like QH mint julep mask more, less drying IMO) and i have been interested in trying it to clarify/chelate since i came across kinkerbelle's fotki a while back. now i see curlynikki likes it too, so its definitely something i wanna try!

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I've been on the fence about trying this....I'm trying to use up this moroccan mud mask that I paid too much for first. Then I will purchase some bentonite for my hair and face.

~CurlyNikki~

I love the stuff! I purchase mine from Vitamin Shoppe, but Whole Foods has it as well. I'm sure some GNCs may have it too... I plan to use it bi-weekly.

I've heard that some people get drying results, so I asked Ms. Anita Grant some questions. I'll post her responses tomorrow.

lollyoo

Hi,
I use it for cleansing still have a lot left to use. It soften and stretch out the coils.
But for hair still prefer rhassoul, after finishing my batch will stick to rhassoul clay.
Bentonite clay was not bad, considering that I can get a lot lot cheaper than rhassoul clay from my supplier.

myronnie

I don't use bentonite, but I use rhassoul clay. I mix about a teaspoon of it with deep conditioner, coconut milk, and oils. It makes my hair really soft! I really like it

Urban

Bumping...

Wait so does this strengthen your hair at all?

I don't think so, as bentonite largely absorbs from the hair, i.e. to get rid of dirt and apparently toxins. It doesn't deposit anything, so I'd have a hard time believing that it has any stregthening properties.

Honi

There is no board.
This stuff is amazing on 4b natural hair. I use this as a mask mixed with coconut creme on my daughters hair and it makes it so much softer, elongates the hair and her little coils pop.

On relaxed hair I get the same results. Newgrowth is super soft and previous relaxed hair is smooth as glass. :yep:

2themax

I got mine at Wild Oats (now Whole Foods), a 16 oz jar of "100% Natural Calcium Bentonite Clay" called Indian Healing Clay. Lovely on the scalp, even lovelier on the skin :yep: It practically sucks all the junk out of your skin. My skin throbs during the process because it has a tightening effect as it dries, and is kinda red for 5-7 minutes after I wash it off. It really gives your face a workout!

Forever in Bloom is correct! Whenever I use it my face and neck throbs like crazy and my face and neck is red for a few minutes after it's rinsed off. You can actually feel it working and when I use it on my hair and scalp sometimes this stuff is tuff! I recommend it and have also recommended it to my friends with very positive results (it also tightens your pores causing it to look much younger). An Indian co-worker of mine swears by it. In fact, she told me that in India they actually scoop it up with their hands from the dirt and immediately put it on their face and body. I don't know if I'd be that brave, but her skin is flawless and she looks about 20-25 years younger than she is and her hair grows so fast I'm happy for her but jealous:grin: