FRUSTRATED LADIES! why did you cut your hair...

crazydaze911

and did you regret it?
My hair's been the same length FOREVER and its just so frustrating. sometimes i feel like chopping it short (to get rid of processed split ends HIGH on my hair - example - ear length splits on my almost APL hair). I could start over, but my hair would be 'big' and if i regret it, i'll have to wait years for it to grow back. Anyone out there gone through this or going through this now?

TIA

blasiancurlie

i do this A LOT! i actually started another thread about always cutting my hair to SL after i'm at APL or close to BSL. i think i do it out of frustration too thinking it'll be easier to manage after it's short again. i actually feel really good right after the cut. it's like having a fresh start and i like the fact that i actually do my hair when it's short instead of being tempted to just ponytail or bun it. i think i'm also addicted to cutting my hair because i like the feel of nice, silky, undamaged ends (which you can get with a trim too so i don't know why i cut so much off) and of course from seeing other people with fly bobs. in the summertime, it also feels so refreshing to have short hair.

anyways i'm putting the scissors down from now on (or at least trying to) cause after a couple weeks, i do end up regretting it. and everyone constantly asking you "why did you cut your hair?" doesn't help. i would say to just make sure that it's what you really want. when i see all the beautiful heads of hair on here, i can't help but think that i would've been damn near WL if i hadn't cut.

and i don't know if you wear wigs or sew-ins (i don't) but my hairdresser suggested getting a short wig first to feel it out.

KPH

House Head
i use to get my hair cut because i felt it wasn't acting right, when the real deal was, i had other issues going on in my life and wasn't paying attention to my hair until it was time to go somewhere, other than that, i pinned it up. Now one thing i will never, ever, ever, ever do, NOT MATTER WHAT IS GET THE BACK SHAVED DOWN/OFF AGAIN.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I cut my hair OFF again in Feb '06 after a BC in Apr '04 (from bone straight to texlax). It had grown out to SL and I got bored--TOTALLY REGRET IT!! I hadn't had hair past a little past SL before and didn't know the possibilities. I didn't find LHCF until Apr '07, but I would have had a much better starting point had I not chopped--AGAIN.

anon123

I cut 1/2 my hair off twice in the past, regretted it both times, but even more so the second time because I should have learned from the first time that cutting it doesn't really make much of a difference. I cut because of knotting and tangling and not wanting to comb through my hair. But I regretted it because most of the difficulty is in my texture and density, not my length, so cutting 1/2 my hair off made it only like 10 or 20 percent easier. Fortunately, at the time I wasn't too obsessed with length so while I regretted it I wasn't totally bummed. But both times I cut it too short to make a real afro puff which was my staple style so I felt kinda dumb about that. I didn't know what to do with shorter hair.

In general, I'd say not to cut until you've identified the problem and know how to fix it. Otherwise, you'll just be cutting your hair and growing it back with the same problem. If you want to cut for a fresh start, that makes sense, but if you haven't identified the problem and know what to do to prevent it, you'll just end up in the same boat.

crazydaze911

I cut 1/2 my hair off twice in the past, regretted it both times, but even more so the second time because I should have learned from the first time that cutting it doesn't really make much of a difference. I cut because of knotting and tangling and not wanting to comb through my hair. But I regretted it because most of the difficulty is in my texture and density, not my length, so cutting 1/2 my hair off made it only like 10 or 20 percent easier. Fortunately, at the time I wasn't too obsessed with length so while I regretted it I wasn't totally bummed. But both times I cut it too short to make a real afro puff which was my staple style so I felt kinda dumb about that. I didn't know what to do with shorter hair.

In general, I'd say not to cut until you've identified the problem and know how to fix it. Otherwise, you'll just be cutting your hair and growing it back with the same problem. If you want to cut for a fresh start, that makes sense, but if you haven't identified the problem and know what to do to prevent it, you'll just end up in the same boat.

Thanks for the responses ladies! so, if the problem is splits at all different lengths from past processing (i'm transitioning now), what do you think i should do? i think it would be difficult to do S & D all over my head at a 100 different lengths.....especially in the back where i have about 2 sets of old bangs. any thoughts?

pearcey

I always chop my hair. I think the last time was 6/23/06 and before that 8/03. I am due again, but instead for the first time with longish hair, I opted for red highlights. Like you, I get frustrated, 'think "If I could just get it 'perfect' this time..." and ofcourse there is no perfect. So I am trying really hard to work with what I have and let it grow out...

Ofcourse the other reason is I love SHORT natural hair, but LONG relaxed hair, and since I can't decide, I wind up doing both :) But I am older now, I am trying to be good...

WHatever you decide, have fun, enjoy the grow-back, try to learn from your mistakes and make the best of it.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Thanks for the responses ladies! so, if the problem is splits at all different lengths from past processing (i'm transitioning now), what do you think i should do? i think it would be difficult to do S & D all over my head at a 100 different lengths.....especially in the back where i have about 2 sets of old bangs. any thoughts?
Maybe if you have layers cut in, that way you get the splits but sort of keep the length. It'll probably be pretty too. Of course you'll need a stylist you can trust...:ohwell:

crazydaze911

Maybe if you have layers cut in, that way you get the splits but sort of keep the length. It'll probably be pretty too. Of course you'll need a stylist you can trust...:ohwell:

oh yeah, STYLIST! shiver (like in the lion king when they say 'mufasa') I'll have to see about that one. I had a very bad experience last time i asked for layers - they cut off too much and gave me that jennnifer aniston hair cut - short front layers flipped in, longer layers flipped out - ewwwww :nono:. Thanks for ur help!

KweenBeeDiva

YEEEEES! I regreted it! I cut all of my hair off a week after graduating High School in 2005, put a tex. in it a year later, got to the length it was before I cut it the first time, and eventually it broke off. So I buzz cut it off Oct. of 2006 and At this point, if I were to flat iron, it would be neck legnth.

For some reason, evertime I get to this legnth, something happens, and I end up choppin' it off again. So this year, Imma be EXTRA careful. I wouldn't be the weave wearer I am today if it wasn't for this fear of my scissor-happy hands.

Sometimes I get mad because I know that by now my hair could have been between APL-BSL.:wallbash: *sigh* I take it as a life lesson that:

1). Chemicals don't kill hair. Unprofessional/lazy/crazy stylist with chemicals kill hair.

2). Pressing is REALLY not my friend (unless mamma does it)

3). Once you start cutting, be sure that your hair will be short for at least a year. WHY? Because a good number of people who have been taught to fear scissors will discoveer that scissors make for a great stress reliever.

So I have learned that I need styles that will minimize contact with my hands. Twist, braids and weaves are options you might want to concider. In fact I have so much weave underneath my bed in my room that I basically run a beauty supply chain out of my dorm, so hit me up if you need some janet yaaki:lachen:

caramelcutieinva

Its usually one of these reasons

1. I had a setback and want to get rid of unhealthy hair
2. I want a new look
3. The length is not working for me
4. I'm frustrated with it and want to start over

RegaLady

I usually really LOVE short hair, ala, Halle Berry's old cut, Nia Long's, etc. I have worn it short for the past 7 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!:blush:Every time I did it, I loved the feeling because
1.It looked good on me:bdance:
2.It was very manageable:grin:
3.Growing hair out was so time consuming:giveup:
For some reason, since last year. I don't want to cut on my hair, AT ALL:nono:! Last time I got it cut was in Feb.08, and I regretted so bad, I hid.:hide:
Yeah, so no more cutting for me. I'll see where it leads me!

ajargon02

Are you transitioning to natural or texlaxed? CONGRATS on that either way!!! :spinning: :grin:

I would just try to baby it.I would step up the protein tx to try and temp help, and keep up w/ dc tx. i would do protective styles, and monthly cut an inch or 2 off till all the damage is cut out. I mean CUTTING IT OFF is really the only way to stop it from continuing to split up the shaft and prevent damage to the new growth, but I know you are aware of that already. This way you can transition at a speed that's comfy for you.

...............of course, you could always chop it all to your ears, and get a really trendy cute bob!!!:grin:

crazydaze911

Are you transitioning to natural or texlaxed? CONGRATS on that either way!!! :spinning: :grin:

I would just try to baby it.I would step up the protein tx to try and temp help, and keep up w/ dc tx. i would do protective styles, and monthly cut an inch or 2 off till all the damage is cut out. I mean CUTTING IT OFF is really the only way to stop it from continuing to split up the shaft and prevent damage to the new growth, but I know you are aware of that already. This way you can transition at a speed that's comfy for you.

...............of course, you could always chop it all to your ears, and get a really trendy cute bob!!!:grin:

Hey ajargon,
I am transitioning to natural w/BKT. Its just the 'high' splits that drive me nuts although all splits are bad - lol. I just dont get how some pples hair thins out as it grows (imfamous v-shape) even with trims while other pples hair is nice and even and able to retain length. i guess thats the biggest annoyance - to have straight thick ends i have to keep cutting. i deep condition at least once a week and use some protein every two weeks (not too strong of a protein b/c i already have the BKT). I just dont wanna become OBSESSED and then fall further into frustration - lol.
Thanks for the words of advice!

ricochet

and did you regret it?
TIA

I will admit I cut mine for many reasons but did not once regret it, my reasons were:

1)I had not had a hair "cut" since my big chop in 2002, nothing but trims
2)Spring/Summer 2007 was hot! :burn:
3)I was ready for a new look :gorgeous:
4)My hair is thick and natural and frustration set in for a "hot" second :yep:

I am no longer frustrated and I am ready to grow it out again. I will admit I LOVE short hair and while I have rocked my hair short/long, natural and relaxed, I think I love my big, long, natural hair most of all. Who knows? Maybe in another 2 years I will want to chop it again, but that's the great thing about hair, it grows back! :yay:

glamazon386

I'm on the fence about this now. I'm thinking about getting a fierce short haircut but I don't want to relax my hair. :ohwell:

Brownie518

i do this A LOT! i actually started another thread about always cutting my hair to SL after i'm at APL or close to BSL. i think i do it out of frustration too thinking it'll be easier to manage after it's short again. i actually feel really good right after the cut. it's like having a fresh start and i like the fact that i actually do my hair when it's short instead of being tempted to just ponytail or bun it. i think i'm also addicted to cutting my hair because i like the feel of nice, silky, undamaged ends (which you can get with a trim too so i don't know why i cut so much off) and of course from seeing other people with fly bobs. in the summertime, it also feels so refreshing to have short hair.

The bolded is me!!! I did my last cut just before Christmas and I was just about APL. I cut to just above the shoulder. I'm actually glad I did it and my hair is growing nice and even and thick and it's past shoulder. I am going to try not to do it again. So far so good. :yep:

DivaD04

and did you regret it?
My hair's been the same length FOREVER and its just so frustrating. sometimes i feel like chopping it short (to get rid of processed split ends HIGH on my hair - example - ear length splits on my almost APL hair). I could start over, but my hair would be 'big' and if i regret it, i'll have to wait years for it to grow back. Anyone out there gone through this or going through this now?

TIA

I cut my hair b/c i wanted to see how i looked with a clipper cut and to go all natural...transitioning was taking too long for me

how long has it been since your hair stopped growing?

you may be in the telegon phase- is the resting phase of the hair follicle.[5] At any given time, 10%-15% of all hairs are in the telogen phase. This phase lasts for about 100 days for hairs on the scalp and much longer for hairs on the eyebrow, eyelash, arm and leg.
During this phase the hair follicle is completely at rest and the club hair is completely formed. Pulling out a hair in this phase will reveal a solid, hard, dry, white material at the root.
About 25-100 telogen hairs are shed normally each day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_follicle#Hair_growth_cycle_times

crazydaze911

I cut my hair b/c i wanted to see how i looked with a clipper cut and to go all natural...transitioning was taking too long for me

how long has it been since your hair stopped growing?

you may be in the telegon phase- is the resting phase of the hair follicle.[5] At any given time, 10%-15% of all hairs are in the telogen phase. This phase lasts for about 100 days for hairs on the scalp and much longer for hairs on the eyebrow, eyelash, arm and leg.
During this phase the hair follicle is completely at rest and the club hair is completely formed. Pulling out a hair in this phase will reveal a solid, hard, dry, white material at the root.
About 25-100 telogen hairs are shed normally each day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_follicle#Hair_growth_cycle_times

thanks for the insight. good question (the bolded)- idk. i havent seen much since last summer. i feel like i'm always in the resting state cuz i never get that 'boost'. btw - im not exaggerating and its not all about retention b/c i'm transitioning and i can see EXACTLY how much has grown since my last (dec 06) relaxer and it isnt much. so although some pple dont regret cutting and their progress pics are awesome, i hesitate b/c i dont know how long it would take for my hair to grow back. i might have to see a doctor or smthg cuz i think i'm enemic, but rite now work is just to hectic to take time off. btw - just a SICK fact, i'm so obsessed that i carry a pair of shears in my purse for whenever i notice a split/damaged hair :lachen: