Diva's Personal Tips for Braid Success (Lil' Long)

AJamericanDiva

Diva\'s Personal Tips for Braid Success (Lil\' Long)

After wearing my last set of braids from December to February, I was able to undo them quite successfully with very little shedding. I thought I'd share some tips that might work for others that are having problems when it comes time to take down the braids. I guess I should put disclaimer here: These are my personal tips and may not work for you. Modify it how you see fit if something in particular doesn't work for you.

First, let's start with the braids themselves. I got them pencil sized as Robin from growafrohairlong.com suggested. At the time of the application of braids, I was a little over 3 months post relaxer (got relaxer in September). Kanekelon hair was the type of synthetic hair used. Prior to application, my hair was freshly washed, deep conditioned and lightly coated with leave-in conditioner and a tiny amount of S- Curl, just so I could get the comb through it. The girl took 4 hours to braid it, which for me was a short amount of time for the length as it was waitlength braids. They didn't feel tight or like they were pulling and I slept comfortably on my head the first night. This is key... No tight braids!!! Oh yeah, especially around the fragile hairline.

My regimen thereafter went something like this:
Once a week (standing in the shower)

1. Wash hair with either diluted shampoos: Keracare Hydrating/Detangling shampoo, Pantene Relaxed and Naturals or John Frieda Relax Total Clarity Moisturizing Shampoo. Although the first two shampoos are my absolute favorites, I'd use the Frieda shampoo every other shampoo to make sure I got rid of build up on my scalp. (You know that stuff you see under your nails when you scratch your scalp?
It did an excellent job of this.) My focus was using my fingertips to massage the scalp and loosen up any debris and then simply sliding my hands down the shafts of the braids so they'd get a lil' of the foamy water.

2. Condition hair with one of the following conditioner diluted: Keracare Humecto or Pantene Relaxed and Naturals conditioners. This was done, moreso concentrating on the shaft of the braids. Hair was lightly rinsed with cool water.

Key Point: Why diluted shampoos and conditioners? This helps to reduce any buildup at the base of the braids... you know those horrible looking clumps you sometimes see when you loose out your braids....

3. Once I got out of the shower, I wrapped my braids in an Aquis towel... it's highly absorbent. (I bought mine off of eBay.) The constant dripping of water would drive me crazy and this towel absorbs a lot of the excess water in a small amount of time. You can just use a regular towel, no biggie. When "drippage" is under control, I sprayed my scalp with a light leave-in conditioner such as Motions Leave-In or a 50/50 mixture of Infusium 23's Leave-In for damaged hair and their moisturizing leave-in.

4. I sprayed Surge Revitalizer 14 on the scalp and sprayed along the shaft of the braids with S-curl, followed by a light coating of World of Curls gel for extra dry hair (this step is optional, but I did it because New York weather is MAD COLD!!!!) and then sealed it in with either a spraying of Isoplus Oil sheen (in the blue can) but better still which I really loved, was putting a light oil such as Surge's Motion 9 Oil or Carol's Daughter Khoret Amen oil into a spray bottle and lightly misting the scalp and shaft of the braids. This seals in the moisture. For those who like using Jojoba oil and other light oils with added essential oils (i.e. rosemary, ylang-ylang, lavender, etc), this is good as well. Me being pregnant and all, there are some essential oils that I can't fool around with.
I do love ylang-ylang.

Daily... Once-Twice per day
1. Surge Revitalizer 14 on scalp.
2. S-curl on shaft, followed by World of Curls gel.
3. Spray with a light oil to seal in moisture.

When taking out the braids, I find it vital to use some sort of spray made for this purpose. In this case, I used Better Braids Unbraid Spray. It helps to detangle the hair and dissolve any of that clumping you might have. (This might be helpful for people wearing weaves who have matting at the root problems as well. Me, I personally haven't had a weave in years!) I sprayed the roots and then took out the braids. I would then comb it lightly with a small tooth comb to remove whatever debris might me there. I was quite pleased that I saw none of that clumping at the root of my braid, the hair wasn't tangled and there was very little shedding. I had prepared myself to shed two months worth of unshedded hair, but had very little. Once the entire head was loosed, I lightly combed with a big toothed comb and hit the shower. I washed, used a reconstructor, followed by a moisturizing conditioner. I lost so few hairs that I even took a pic. I'll try and post it later in my album. As it stands, I will be getting braids again, God willing, this weekend. Remember, my hair hasn't been relaxed since September and I am a 4a. This new growth ain't playing
My hairdresser went away and won't be back until mid-April and I don't trust anyone else with my hair, so braids seem to be the best way for me to not manipulate the hair in such a vulnerable state. On the other hand, when I finally do relax, I can't wait to see how much growth I got.

Alright, ending haircare novel here. Hope this helps others.

daviine

Re: Diva\'s Personal Tips for Braid Success (Lil\' Long)

Thanks for sharing---you make it sound so easy and effortless, that I feel like getting braids!

AJamericanDiva

No problem, Gang!!!

Also forgot to add... I liked styling the braids, but do take note... if you feel any of your braids pulling your scalp when you are creating styles, i.e. pigtails and such, gently pull on those braids that are hurting your scalp to release tension... also when wearing hair back, loosen up the tension along the hairline or anywhere else you feel tugging.

Don't be in shock when people ask you if you're crazy
for washing your hair every week with braids. I got it all the time. Even the girl who braided my hair said something about washing them with water will make 'em come out. <My response as it went in one ear and out the other> "Uh-Huh"

Chichi

Thanks for the great tips!
They will be especially helpful for those of us on the braid regimen.

Chichi

Bobbie

Thanks for the tips, Diva!

Could the reduced shedding also be contributed to your pregnancy? Many women experience far fewer shedding during their pregnancy.

Spagirl

Thanks for sharing girly! I don't wear braids presently but I'm saving those tips for when or if the time ever comes.

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
Bobbie said:
Thanks for the tips, Diva!

Could the reduced shedding also be contributed to your pregnancy? Many women experience far fewer shedding during their pregnancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be attributed to pregnancy, but the hair that was shedded after braiding appeared to be less than the amount that usually sheds on a daily basis... not to say I lose a lot either. Could it be the Surge Revitalizer 14? I dunno. What I am dreading is the postpartum shedding. That stuff gives me a receding hairline!!!

Nonie

They don't call you Diva for nuffin!

Great tips indeed, Chicca!

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
They don't call you Diva for nuffin!

Great tips indeed, Chicca!

[/ QUOTE ]

Woo-Hoo!!!
Thanks, Girl!!! I'm glad I could share what has worked for me. The funny thing is that I'm dying to get braids back again as my hair looks a hot mess!!! I am trying my best to bun it and not fool with the new growth, but it's a forest under there!
I will definitely feel more relieved when it's braided again.
Initially I was going to relax it after removing these set of braids, but Adrienne suggested I get it braided again... with the baby coming and all... The fact that my hair dresser is in Santa Domingo until mid-April kinda solves that problem for me. My hair will get the much needed rest it deserves.

butterfli

Thanks Diva for the awesome tips. I have been wearing braids for awhile now and one question I have is did your hair get frizzy quickly with washing every week? That is the only problem I have with washing weekly. My own hair starts to come through the braids and no matter how much gel I put on them and tie down with a scarf the frizz is there for the duration of that set of braids. I would like to wash more often, but my braids cost too much for me to be doing them every 3 weeks to a month. Thanks in advance for your help.

AJamericanDiva

Oh yeah, I forgot to add one other very important tip. Know when it's time to remove the braids from your hair. Although I would have loved to have kept my braids for a complete 2 months, they actually had to come out 2 weeks short of the 2 month mark. This was because I was able to fit almost 2 fingers between the root of my braid and my scalp. Ladies, when your braids begin to "dangle" this is a huge clue that it's time for the braids to come out. Furthermore, your poor hair strands don't need the undue strain of supporting all that hair!
Ok, hope this helps...

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
butterfli said:
Thanks Diva for the awesome tips. I have been wearing braids for awhile now and one question I have is did your hair get frizzy quickly with washing every week? That is the only problem I have with washing weekly. My own hair starts to come through the braids and no matter how much gel I put on them and tie down with a scarf the frizz is there for the duration of that set of braids. I would like to wash more often, but my braids cost too much for me to be doing them every 3 weeks to a month. Thanks in advance for your help.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the condition of your hair? Is it natural or relaxed??? I find that when my daughter's hair was natural and I'd braid it, it would frizz up quite quickly. Although my hair is relaxed, it did get frizzy. I don't think you need to wash it more than once a week... unless you're exercising and you want to get the sweat off of your scalp with a simple conditioning wash. Other than keeping the hair moisturized, I have yet to find ANYTHING that gets rid of frizz.

Some people say they clean their scalp with Sea Breeze astringent or even Witch Hazel so they can bypass the whole shampooing bit. You may want to try this. I never have though.

Bobbie

[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to add one other very important tip. Know when it's time to remove the braids from your hair. Although I would have loved to have kept my braids for a complete 2 months, they actually had to come out 2 weeks short of the 2 month mark. This was because I was able to fit almost 2 fingers between the root of my braid and my scalp. Ladies, when your braids begin to "dangle" this is a huge clue that it's time for the braids to come out. Furthermore, your poor hair strands don't need the undue strain of supporting all that hair!
Ok, hope this helps...

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here! I'm at 6 weeks and my hair is dangling all over the place! I had to redo a couple of braids, but I don't know if my hair could hold out until the end of the second month.

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
Bobbie said:
[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
Ok, hope this helps...

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here! I'm at 6 weeks and my hair is dangling all over the place! I had to redo a couple of braids, but I don't know if my hair could hold out until the end of the second month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, I actually paid someone to do my last set of braids, so shelling over $150 only to take them out 6 weeks later was a lil' painful. However, my hair is better off for it!!! It's a good sign that our hair is <font color="red">GROWING</font>

qtpi

Re: Diva\'s Personal Tips for Braid Success (Lil\' L

Thanks for the tips! I'll be doing braids after 1 month. Mine never stay in for 2 mo. either, but the, I wash/con. wash sev times a week, so... But even when I didn't, had the same problem. I just find it easier to redo a few at a time as needed.

butterfli

[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
[ QUOTE ]
butterfli said:

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the condition of your hair? Is it natural or relaxed??? I find that when my daughter's hair was natural and I'd braid it, it would frizz up quite quickly. Although my hair is relaxed, it did get frizzy. I don't think you need to wash it more than once a week... unless you're exercising and you want to get the sweat off of your scalp with a simple conditioning wash. Other than keeping the hair moisturized, I have yet to find ANYTHING that gets rid of frizz.

Some people say they clean their scalp with Sea Breeze astringent or even Witch Hazel so they can bypass the whole shampooing bit. You may want to try this. I never have though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am natural. I have heard about using Sea Breeze to cleanse your scalp, but have never tried it. It doesn't seem like it will clean the build up at the new growth like you said you do with your washes. But, I guess I will give it a try. Thanks for the advice.
And keep 'em coming!

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
I am natural. I have heard about using Sea Breeze to cleanse your scalp, but have never tried it. It doesn't seem like it will clean the build up at the new growth like you said you do with your washes. But, I guess I will give it a try. Thanks for the advice.
And keep 'em coming!

[/ QUOTE ]

Awww, Butterfli!!! Thanks! You're welcome!!!!

karezone

Thanks. I plan on getting braids before spring break.

Can I add this post to my webpage?

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
karezone said:
Thanks. I plan on getting braids before spring break.

Can I add this post to my webpage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Karezone...

I don't see why not? Double check with the Mods to make sure it isn't against the rules or anything....

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
Great advice...thanks so much for sharing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what we're here for... sharing!!! I just LOVE that about this board!!!

I'm curious to know at the end of the braid deal, who else this actually worked for...

shoelover1972

Great and detailed advice JDiva. I will save this for when I next braid.

JenJen2721

AJD, I was wondering...why do you use a special product for taking the braids down? What ingredients does the spray have that makes taking braids down easier? Would regular curl activator work?

Thanks in advance,
Jen

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
AJD, I was wondering...why do you use a special product for taking the braids down? What ingredients does the spray have that makes taking braids down easier? Would regular curl activator work?

Thanks in advance,
Jen

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, I don't think the regular curl activator would do the trick. The UnBraid spray gives the hair great slip and dissolves that lil' clump that you may find sometimes at the base of the braids. I found that it was a great detangler as well. Let me tell you the ingredients... they don't seem to be anything spectacular, but I do find that this spray always helps me:

water, special herb and oil blend (don't know what that is),glycerin, methylparaben, propylparaben, diazolidinyl urea, peg-75 lanolin, polyquaternium-6, dmdm hydantoin, steareth-20, fragrance, allantoin, simethicone, d&amp;c violet no.2

To me it was worth the $3.49 I paid for it as it really did do what it said it would. I will do a search and see what else I come up with, OK?

JenJen2721

Thanks AJD...I've just been particularly frugal lately.

I'll come off the $3.49 when it's time to take them down.

AJamericanDiva

Ok... now I'm getting mad. In the middle of typing out this post the forum logged me out and would not take my post. I had to sign back in and then find that everything I typed is gone!!!

Here is what I got from Keystone Laboratories the maker of Better Braids UnBray. Better Braids UnBraid