Why does my hair keep turning red?!

choconillaprincess

Here is my hair in november

and this was taken today

why does my color fade so drastically? is this a sign of damage? I've decide to give up on the black color and just stick with red but i'm afraid this is a sign of damage or something is wrong with my hair... my natural hair color is very dark redish brown and it lightens easily in the sun... what do y'all think? is this normal?

choconillaprincess

I should add that there were 80 million colors underneath that black-brown color... and the red isn't quite as lite as it looks in the pic- just in the sun

MJ

Wow. I've never seen that before. It pretty neat though. Nice color :grin:. Did you see the black women and red hair thread?

yodie

what a pretty red.

did your hair turn from black to this color? wow, what are you using? I need to do the same thing.

Last edited:

choconillaprincess

I did a search but i'm not sure which thread you were talking about... can you give me a link?

ETA: I didn't do anything that's why i'm so worried about it... I recently started using the Sunsilk colorboost stuff but i haven't noticed any changes?

Here's a better pic of how it looks in regular lighting... it only looks that other color in the sun (or with the flash close)

Last edited:

MJ

I did a search but i'm not sure which thread you were talking about... can you give me a link?

ETA: I didn't do anything that's why i'm so worried about it... I recently started using the Sunsilk colorboost stuff but i haven't noticed any changes?

I can't find it either. I'm sorry. Maybe someone else will have the link.

GoingNatural

I have this same problem. When i was relaxed I would dye my hair black with permanent dye and it would always fade to brown or a coppery color. My natural hair color is a snap away from black so it really didn't make sense.

DivaD04

A good reason for yor hair to turn red is a relaxer and/or product build up. If the hair isn't squeeky clean then that may be a sign that you neet to really clarify. A really good one.

lsubabiedee

mine does something similar. it turns red, blonde, light brown. i never experienced this before but now i can go really really light in a few months. i colored my hair dark brown a few years ago, and it faded, and the lightness came back. i started using molasses on my hair and it turned it dark red instead of honey blonde. but im sure it'll be lighter after the summer.

tricie

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you about the color, but I just wanted to tell you that your curls are gor-jus!! I like them black and reddish!

DivaD04

Not to mention...the key essential of your undertones. Many people struggle with their undertones picking colors they want that'll compliment them. If you don't properly pick the correct color before the application and comparing to the natural hair (b-4 application) The end result will be an undesired color. The next time you decide to color, an expert colorist is a good option.

LayneJ

OP,

Do you have hard water? Because I've noticed my black/brown hair turning copper-ish, and I'm thinking it's because of the hard water.

It's the same way with my mother's hair, and her natural color is jet black! It's the weirdest thing. She hates red too, so she's dyed it about 3 different times, but the red comes right back. Her hair is now a reddish brown, with even redder highlights. :perplexed

I originally thought that, since she relaxes from root to tip, and she's colored her hair, the red color change was a result of all the damage. But after reading through this thread, maybe it's something else?

:spinning:

MissMasala5

Snipped from wiki:

Most red hair is caused by the MC1R gene and is non-pathological. However, in some cases red hair can be associated with disease or genetic disorder:
  • In cases of severe malnutrition, normally dark human hair may turn red or blonde. The condition, part of a syndrome known as kwashiorkor, is a sign of critical starvation caused chiefly by protein deficiency, and is common during periods of famine.
  • One variety of albinism (Type 3, aka rufous albinism), sometimes seen in Africans and inhabitants of New Guinea, results in red hair and red-colored skin.[35]
  • Red hair is found on people lacking pro-opiomelanocortin.[35][36]

choconillaprincess

^^^ hmmm... well they do call me red bone? lol no it's my colored hair that's turning... my natural color is staying the same... i guess i'll just have 2 deal with it and stick to the red family from now on

~~HoneyComb~~

Then ends of my hair, about six inches of it are reddish! My hair grows out black, but the ends end up turning this reddish color! It's not noticeable in my pics, or when I wear my hair out, but if I wear a ponypuff or updo, it's very noticeable, like I have a hairpiece on because of the 2 different colors. My daughter asks me if I dyed my hair that color, and I tell her no. Last year, I colored over it twice with black permanent hair color, and after a couple months, it reverts back! I don't know what causes this.

Last edited:

Jynkx

my hair has always done the same thing. lately i have been wondering if its sun damage. i hate my red hair :ohwell: lol

choconillaprincess

it probably is sun damage! I do dye my hair black or blackish brown but now that i think about it my ends have always been a lighter red (my natural hair has red in it anyway)... does anyone know of a leave-in w/ sunscreen?

SqrpioQutie

Then ends of my hair, about six inches of it are reddish! My hair grows out black, but the ends end up turning this reddish color! It's not noticeable in my pics, or when I wear my hair out, but if I wear a ponypuff or updo, it's very noticeable, like I have a hairpiece on because of the 2 different colors. My daughter asks me if I dyed my hair that color, and I tell her no. Last year, I colored over it twice with black permanent hair color, and after a couple months, it reverts back! I don't know what causes this.

my hair does the EXACT same thing!... doesn't really stop me from trying to dye it though... lol

CenteredGirl

Citiric acid, ACV, honey, lemon juice will lighten hair over time. If you are using products with these ingredients in them or as stand alones, this may be why.

QUINN

My hair is the same way. The natural color of my hair is brownish w/ some strands of copper. It's always been that way, even when I was a kid. My Mom dyed it black once and that faded quickly. I love my hair color. It has it's own highlights, so I leave it alone.
I have had people tell me it is because my hair is relaxed. That's not it because like I said when I was a kid, it was the same color. Love it, love it, love it!

Soul♥Flower

My hair turns red too. Only during the summer time when I'm in the sun alot. My mother used to tell me that it's because the sun "bleaches" it. I know that in the west indes, some deep brown (like Alek Wek)people have red hair, the ones I remember seeing were fisherman who spent a lot of time in the ocean. I guess that makes since though, since the ocean reflects a lot of sunlight.

Jynkx

dinaaike
great info!!! it very well could be hard water. i have always heard so many bad things about it. a water softener may be needed.