Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2008, 03:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default re: hair stuck to scalp after relaxer!...well I went to the ER tonight

The dr confirmed that it was a chemical burn and I might suffer from permanent hair loss.Has this happened to anyone else? I know you guys don't know the serverity of my burns but they are pretty bad.I just need a glimmer of hope that even if my hair falls out with the scabs as the dr said that it will grow back. I can't be bald around my edges. I won't be able to cover up a weave or even wear a ponytail. Everyone thinks I should sue honestly I rather have my hair back.

Last edited by jtsupanova; 03-10-2008 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Re: hair stuck to scalp after relaxer!...well I went to the ER tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsupanova View Post
The dr confirmed that it was a chemical burn and I might suffer from permanent hair loss.Has this happened to anyone else? I know you guys don't know the serverity of my burns but they are pretty bad.I just need a glimmer of hope that even if my hair falls out with the scabs as the dr said that it will grow back. I can't be bald around my edges. I won't be able to cover up a weave or even wear a ponytail. Everyone thinks I should sue honestly I rather have my hair back.
I am so sorry this happend to you. While I haven't seen your burns and I can not contradict what the doctor said, when I was about twelve years old I also suffered from a chemical burn do to a jerhi curl. The man doing my hair put the chemical on and left me sitting in the chair while he went to get lunch. When he came back I was crying and the back of my head was weaping. (Weaping is when this clear liquid comes out. It it what your hair gets stuck in.) My hair did scab, a lot fell out, and took a while to peel off. I had braids put in some months later and my hair did grow back. Again, I haven't seen your burns but this is hope.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I am so sorry you're going through this! But on a lighter note, I've done heads with very severe balding patches in their heads from chemical burns, and yet the hairs lost grew back in. So there's still hope for you, only time and patience and some TLC to those areas are on your side. Maybe once your scalp has healed, you can maybe invest in wearing some braids where they fall over those areas where they can't be seen possibly? Also did the doctor give you any type of topical prescription to put on there to speed up healing and to keep it from getting infected? to ya!
Old 03-10-2008, 06:20 AM

Thanked 1,380 Times in 507 Posts
Mentioned: 516 Post(s)
Tagged: 44 Thread(s)

I am so sorry this happened to you!!! I wish you the best on your road to recovery!!! Take care...
Old 03-10-2008, 06:30 AM

The exact thing happen to me last summer. It was in the nape area and very tender . The ER gave me some cream like Neosporin, and I had to leave it uncovered to breathe. But I only did that at my alone time. During work I wore a wig. Within a week my hair started growing back and the burned area cleared up. After the nubs came back, I started using MN mixed with Doo-gro. Looked like nothing ever happened. And I sported braids and cornwards. So don't get discouraged and don't touch the scab. It will prolong the healing processing. Smile. Things will get better.

Quote:
Old 03-10-2008, 07:10 AM

OMG that is so sad. I have never had this happen and I am so sorry you had to endure this. I have been self relaxing for years and never had a burn or anything. This is terrible!
Old 03-10-2008, 07:22 AM

Thanked 21,837 Times in 3,471 Posts
Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 116 Thread(s)

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear this. I've been burnt badly b4 in the past. You can try rubbing some vitamin E oil or any heavy oil on the area gently. When you wash your hair just be super gentle with that area. Again, i'm sorry to hear this. I *have* to base my scalp b4 I get a relaxer or else i'll burn. This past relaxer I lazily went into the salon and didn't base my scalp with anything my scalp started tingling in about 10 min
Old 03-10-2008, 08:37 AM

Try a lace wig. I have one for sale in the Hair Product Exchange Forum. I will give you a discount if the measurements fit you. So sorry this happened to you.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:06 AM

Growing up this used to happen to me all the time! My first reaction when I started reading your post was to giggle because I have been burnt several times with the hair getting stuck to my hair and I remember trying to slowly pull the hairs off the scab days after the perm was put in. I never had any COMPLETE hair loss from it. I'm sorry that it scared you so bad! But I think it will grow back and everyone else seems to have similar stories with the hair growing back in the end. But yea next time you should really put vaseline or another base in your scalp before perming.
I do have a friend who has NO hair on her edges I think the same thing happened to her...but she always pulls her hair back in tight ponytails and braids. So just let the area breathe for a while so it can get better
Old 03-10-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monieluv View Post
The exact thing happen to me last summer. It was in the nape area and very tender . The ER gave me some cream like Neosporin, and I had to leave it uncovered to breathe. But I only did that at my alone time. During work I wore a wig. Within a week my hair started growing back and the burned area cleared up. After the nubs came back, I started using MN mixed with Doo-gro. Looked like nothing ever happened. And I sported braids and cornwards. So don't get discouraged and don't touch the scab. It will prolong the healing processing. Smile. Things will get better.
you poor thing! I wish I was there I would have made a big stink about it and made him loose his job or get in serious trouble! What nerve! So ghetto!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 24 Thread(s)

I would sue regardless! People sue all the time for things like this. Don't feel like you are alone either, because this his happening everyday to people across America.

Some are lucky enough to have their hair come back and others are not. Honestly.

It cost to buy lace wigs etc...you shouldn't have to shell out your own money to pay for these things to cover up the mistake of someone else.

It might be wise to seek legal counsel and even some special counseling for youself because I know this has to be traumatic.

Take your vitamins...let's speed up healing (just in case your lacking something).

Old 03-10-2008, 09:37 AM

Thanked 5,686 Times in 1,373 Posts
Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)

My word! Follow the advice the ladies have told you. You should recover. Next steps are to asses what you will do going forward.

Will you be continuing getting relaxers, if so from someone else?
What do you need to do to prep in the future if you want to get another relaxer? Such as type of relaxer, prep your scalp, etc.
Have you thought about doing your own hair next time or going another route it taking care of your hair?

Take care, and please keep us posted.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Cor. 13:4-7
Old 03-10-2008, 09:41 AM

Thanked 6,873 Times in 2,162 Posts
Mentioned: 771 Post(s)
Tagged: 28 Thread(s)

When I was 15 my dumb butt scratched dandruff the day before a touch up. My scalp was on fire and I got weeping and scabs afterward. My little HS boyfriend called me ashtray head. Anyway, once the hair peeled away from the scabs I did not lose any hair and it was pretty as ever. Hopefully you'll have the same result.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:11 AM

Thanked 15,104 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 809 Post(s)
Tagged: 40 Thread(s)

I suffered from several of these as a child. Them chemicals ain't no joke. But my hair grow back from all of them and I don't have any bald patches. I'm not pro-relaxer, but if you're gonna do it, do it right. People leave it on to make sure your hair gets as straight as possible. I had never even heard about "basing the scalp" until I was an adult. Maybe that would have saved my poor head. But anyway, yes, my hair did grow back.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
This happened to me in the fall of '93. I had a very short cut and the back was shaved. I had a chemical burn so bad in the back of my head that it kept me up at night. If I wrapped my head with anything, the wrap stuck to the back of my head and I had to gently pull it off while wincing in pain. I had a big oozing scab. It grew back fine, though.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 56 Thread(s)

I'm so sorry.....No this has never happen to me ..nor have I known anyone this has happen to....Didn't you get it done at the beauty salon...If you did you did you need to have a talk with that stylist and I would definitely not go back ....

(BIG HUG)
Old 03-10-2008, 11:17 AM

Thanked 28,054 Times in 5,521 Posts
Mentioned: 1495 Post(s)
Tagged: 169 Thread(s)

I'm SO SORRY you're going through this!!

I am just chiming in with a 'yeah u should sue' vote

The suit won't make your hair grow in any faster, but who doesn't want more money?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:19 AM

Thanked 1,298 Times in 315 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I'm sorry that happened to you.

My mother had a chemical burn when she was younger, covering the area with vitamin E oil helped the area to repair itself. Maybe that might help.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:32 AM

Thanked 1,499 Times in 316 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)

I used to get chemical burns maybe once a year (or about every 10 months), irrespective of the stylist. Lye was worse for my scalp than no lye, although my hair looked better with a lye relaxer. My nape and hairline were the most frequent offenders, but sometimes the crown too. I always had my scalp based beforehand, but I think I just have a sensitive scalp. I've had stylists use seabreeze or coke to neutralize the burn. It hurt like the fires of h*ll, but at least I didn't get weeping or scabs afterward. When I didn't use anything, I did get scabs but only once did I get weeping/ooze.

My hair always grew back. Sorry this happened to you. I never thought about suing because it wasn't negligence on the part of the stylists--it was just that by the time I felt the tingle, it was often too late.

Now, I'd use Neosporin or vitamin e once the scabs came off.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:46 AM

Ouch! I remember getting chemical burns when I had relaxers. I still have a small bump at my nape from a chemical burn when I FIRST relaxed my hair. i was only 10 years old.

I had them where the hair would sick to my scalp and it would be stuck with a scab. Yuck not pretty at all. Well atleast ppl couldn't see them but I could feel that they were there.

Thing is not trying to downplay your situation but getting chemical burns from a relaxer is one thing that women should realise that it's a possibility that it could happen. That is just a risk you have to take when using them.

I really don't know how suing them will work. you willingly went to get a relaxer, the stylist didn't burn your scalp the relaxer did. Relaxer applications can be unpredictable. Example, the relaxer may not take (under processing) or the hair can be over processed and many women have had this. Can I sue someone if the under processed my hair?

If the stylist left the chemical on for the right amount of time and you still got burnt who is to be blamed for that? Just asking

Now if the chemical wasn't applied properly then that could be a different story.

Now if you do have bald areas on your head I deffinately wouldn't suggest you do a retouch anytime soon. I would think that caring for the damaged areas would be your priority and nursing your hair back to health. Someone suggested vitamin e oil. that's a great suggestion! Try massaging the areas with the oil. you can also try natural rememdies that aid in hair growth like rosemarie, sage, nettles and horsetail. You could get those herbs and steep them in hot water then make a hair spray and spray them on your damaged areas