Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2008, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default Preparation H?!?!?!?!? For Growth????

Uhhhhh, please don't kill me for this!!!

Well just a few minutes ago a friend of mine's came by here to inquire about getting her friend's hair braided up. Well she had her friend with her, so we were conversing about prices, length of braids and such. Well, during that convo, I asked her if she'd mind if I touched her hair to see how much I would be working with for a price quote. Well she has several patches of baldness going on in her head with lil hairs coming in. So I proceeded to ask her what happened to those spots if she didn't mind me asking. She stated that her and her boyfriend got into a physical fight last week and he pulled some of her hair out. She told me she had to go to the doctor because her scalp was raw and bleeding. Well guess what?!!??
Doc told her to put PREPARATION H on her spots!!!! I even asked her HOW it was done, she says just put dots on the spots from the tube and rub it in. Uh is this hemorrhoidal cream the next version of hair growth?????? This is first time I ever heard this, but I wouldn't be surprised seeing that people use/used MN too. So what do you think of this???
Old 02-26-2008, 04:13 PM

Thanked 40,491 Times in 8,432 Posts
Mentioned: 1047 Post(s)
Tagged: 37 Thread(s)
Default Re: Preparation H?!?!?!?!? For Growth????

Oh, great. Let's see: we got va-jay-jay juice, chicken grease, the Stinky Stuff (a.k.a. MTG) and now anus creams?

Well, did she elaborate on how safe it was to use?

#TEAMNATURAL!! (for black chicks only!)
Old 02-26-2008, 04:16 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Now!

I am cracking up at this. I cannot wait to see the posts!

I guess you know what the nickname for this one is going to be.

Here is the first on $httHead!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity_Peace View Post
Oh, great. Let's see: we got va-jay-jay juice, chicken grease, the Stinky Stuff (a.k.a. MTG) and now anus creams?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsTheCurlzTurns View Post
Uhhhhh, please don't kill me for this!!!

Well just a few minutes ago a friend of mine's came by here to inquire about getting her friend's hair braided up. Well she had her friend with her, so we were conversing about prices, length of braids and such. Well, during that convo, I asked her if she'd mind if I touched her hair to see how much I would be working with for a price quote. Well she has several patches of baldness going on in her head with lil hairs coming in. So I proceeded to ask her what happened to those spots if she didn't mind me asking. She stated that her and her boyfriend got into a physical fight last week and he pulled some of her hair out. She told me she had to go to the doctor because her scalp was raw and bleeding. Well guess what?!!??
Doc told her to put PREPARATION H on her spots!!!! I even asked her HOW it was done, she says just put dots on the spots from the tube and rub it in. Uh is this hemorrhoidal cream the next version of hair growth?????? This is first time I ever heard this, but I wouldn't be surprised seeing that people use/used MN too. So what do you think of this???

isn't that an anti-inflamatory? Let me shut up....I use MN....and with great results. Im just trying to figure out how that would help to grow hair. (MN is an anti-fungal, so that makes since).hmmm
Old 02-26-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:

No she didn't, she simply stated that she was bleeding and raw, and told the doc she had no hair there.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnggrant View Post

isn't that an anti-inflamatory? Let me shut up....I use MN....and with great results. Im just trying to figure out how that would help to grow hair. (MN is an anti-fungal, so that makes since).hmmm
LOL!!! And I use MN too gurlie, I just don't know about this Preparation H though. I thought Preparation H was like for relief purposes you know. I don't even know the active ingredient in that.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:28 PM

Thanked 1,559 Times in 354 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Oh no, not *** cream! Why?!?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:33 PM

Thanked 2,132 Times in 514 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 45 Thread(s)

I bow to wiki on a regular basis....

Quote:
Preparation H products come in a variety of formulations. Some are water based gel; some are petroleum jelly based. They range from simple moisturizers with witch-hazel astringent to preparations containing pharmacological ingredients such as phenylephrine, pramoxine and hydrocortisone. Some also contain ingredients of uncertain properties such as aloe vera, shark liver oil and yeast extract.[2] Formulations available also vary with country.

An active ingredient in some Preparation H products is phenylephrine in a 0.25% concentration, a drug which constricts blood vessels. This drug is more commonly used as a decongestant in cold medications since restricting blood flow in the sinuses will reduce the amount of mucus they create. Since hemorrhoids are caused by inflamed blood vessels, this can reduce their size.
Preparation H with hydrocortisone has only hydrocortisone as its active ingredient, in a 1% concentration. A witch hazel medicated wipe is also available under the Preparation H brand.
The Canadian formulation of Preparation H includes a yeast extract called BioDyne which has been removed from the formulation sold in the United States. This yeast extract is believed by many to remove wrinkles from skin and heal dry, cracked, and irritated skin. Thus the Canadian formulation has acquired a market in the United States as a skin cream.
I don't see how any of that - esp. something that CONSTRICTS blood vessels, is gonna help grow hair - we want MORE blood flowing to the scalp, not less.
Hydrocortisone is a steriod, right? I wonder if that helps, any...

We'd have to know what KIND she was using before making any judgements. And once again - was she rubbing it in? I really do think it's the inadvertant scalp massage making a difference.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappywomyn View Post
I bow to wiki on a regular basis....

I don't see how any of that - esp. something that CONSTRICTS blood vessels, is gonna help grow hair - we want MORE blood flowing to the scalp, not less.
Hydrocortisone is a steriod, right? I wonder if that helps, any...

We'd have to know what KIND she was using before making any judgements. And once again - was she rubbing it in? I really do think it's the inadvertant scalp massage making a difference.
On the bolded, she just said it was the preparation h cream she got from the local drugstore. And yes she states that all she does is put it on those spots and rub it in until it disappears. So your reasoning of the rubbing does make sense, since that's another way of massaging your scalp. BUT STILL!!! Preparation H???? I still don't get how it grows hair still. But she did have some hairs in the patches, but I can't say it came from that stuff. Is there anyone who perhaps got some of this lying around and can say what the main ingredient is? When she stated she was using that, I told her simply wait until those patches have cleared up and she's no longer using it before I do her hair. I just wasn't sure about this stuff.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Y'all are crazy. I can't talk because I've experimented too. HHG

This is a bit OT, but i once was told by a lady that urine can be used as a facial cleanser and improve the complexion. I don't plan on trying it though. The things people will do for beauty.

Fierce. I love her hair.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsTheCurlzTurns View Post
On the bolded, she just said it was the preparation h cream she got from the local drugstore. And yes she states that all she does is put it on those spots and rub it in until it disappears. So your reasoning of the rubbing does make sense, since that's another way of massaging your scalp. BUT STILL!!! Preparation H???? I still don't get how it grows hair still. But she did have some hairs in the patches, but I can't say it came from that stuff. Is there anyone who perhaps got some of this lying around and can say what the main ingredient is? When she stated she was using that, I told her simply wait until those patches have cleared up and she's no longer using it before I do her hair. I just wasn't sure about this stuff.
*giggle* I think she could be using chicken fat, vaseline, or anything else slick and creamy, and if she rubbed that spot long enough to rub it in - it would stimulate her scalp and make her hair grow.....okay, maybe not Nair, but other than that.... I dunno....

Lurking around to hear ingredients....
Old 02-26-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christa438 View Post

This is a bit OT, but i once was told by a lady that urine can be used as a facial cleanser and improve the complexion. I don't plan on trying it though. The things people will do for beauty.
WOW...thats a new one
Old 02-26-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnggrant View Post
WOW...thats a new one
There's actually a pretty long thread over in Beauty about that very topic.....
Old 02-26-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Say what?????????????????
Old 02-26-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappywomyn View Post
*giggle* I think she could be using chicken fat, vaseline, or anything else slick and creamy, and if she rubbed that spot long enough to rub it in - it would stimulate her scalp and make her hair grow.....okay, maybe not Nair, but other than that.... I dunno....

Lurking around to hear ingredients....
LOL!!! I just don't know, but I'm curious can't ya tell! LOL
Old 02-26-2008, 05:19 PM

I think the MD got a little mixed up....He meant to say Monistat, but said Preparation H instead
Old 02-26-2008, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Quote:

OT: Yes, the things people wiill do for beauty and health too. Don't sleep on urine therapy--it really does work to heal and beautify the skin and body. I started a thread on this topic over 4 years ago and it's still active in the Health forum.

One of the ladies here started a thread last year in the Makeup forum--I'll be back with the links.

ETA:
Here is the one I started in 2004 which focuses on beauty and health:
Has Anyone Tried Urine Therapy For Beauty, Health

Here is one a lady here started a year ago which focuses primarily on beauty:
My beauty secret

A few months ago, Dr. Oz (on Oprah) mentioned the healing benefits of using our own urine also, since it is highly sterile as well as filled with vitamins, minerals and hormones.

Back on topic: Maybe the doctor had her use Preperation H to stop bleeding and start the healing process. I heard some use this to reduce puffiness under the eyes (the Canadian one) but this is the first time I learned a doctor prescribed it for the scalp. Maybe it has another benefit we don't know about.

Last edited by Isis; 02-26-2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: added links
Old 02-26-2008, 05:45 PM

Thanked 6,221 Times in 1,762 Posts
Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Tagged: 43 Thread(s)

Quote:

Horsey Oil

Old 02-26-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis View Post
OT: Yes, the things people wiill do for beauty and health too. Don't sleep on urine therapy--it really does work to heal and beautify the skin and body. I started a thread on this topic almost 4 years ago and it's still active in the Health forum.

One of the ladies here started a thread last year in the Makeup forum--I'll be back with the links.
kind of off topic but, im glad I have nice skin!!