Can laziness be a spirit? (serious question)

SEMO

Lately I have been finding no joy in my work (I know I'm not the only one). I just feel burned out and find that I don't care like I should. The Bible talks a lot about working as if working for God and yet I feel overwhelmed and dread work.

I am in grad school and have two part time jobs and some days I just don't even want to leave the house :sad:. I feel like I can never overcome the amount of work I have to do; there's always more.

I've struggled with this before, but it seems to be getting the best of me right now. I don't want to be a bad testimony by being lazy :nono:. I just don't know if I should be rebuking a spirit, trying to kill the flesh, or just sucking it up and doing what needs to be done (or all three). Can laziness by a spirit?

I also feel guilty b/c I recognize that God blessed me to be in school right now.

Do any of you have any advice?

VirtuousGal

Me too, I have been struggling with this for years but I havent even begun to think about this in a spiritual sense. Shoot, have the time I wanna blame LHC cuz I stay on this thing lol , but I know better. I want to have the drive and ambition I did when I was younger. I hope you get more responses, it would be great if we could pray for each other. I hope you get responses.

Nice & Wavy

Lately I have been finding no joy in my work (I know I'm not the only one). I just feel burned out and find that I don't care like I should. The Bible talks a lot about working as if working for God and yet I feel overwhelmed and dread work.

I am in grad school and have two part time jobs and some days I just don't even want to leave the house :sad:. I feel like I can never overcome the amount of work I have to do; there's always more.

I've struggled with this before, but it seems to be getting the best of me right now. I don't want to be a bad testimony by being lazy :nono:. I just don't know if I should be rebuking a spirit, trying to kill the flesh, or just sucking it up and doing what needs to be done (or all three). Can laziness by a spirit?

I also feel guilty b/c I recognize that God blessed me to be in school right now.

SEMO, you are doing too many things at once and that is contributing to you being tired....not laziness.

Laziness is when you don't do anything at all (school, work, volunteer, etc) and when you are at home, you still don't do anything at all.

Yes, its called Slothfulness and it isn't something that Christians should be named at all.

adj.1.slothful - disinclined to work or exertion; "faineant kings under whose rule the country languished"; "an indolent hanger-on"; "too lazy to wash the dishes"; "shiftless idle youth"; "slothful employees"; "the unemployed are not necessarily work-shy"faineant, indolent, work-shy, lazy, otiose
idle - not in action or at work; "an idle laborer"; "idle drifters"; "the idle rich"; "an idle mind"
Sources=Sources | 4

HTH

Sasha Fierce

You may be a little discouraged since you find no joy. This is how I am now. I do what I have to do but not being 100% about what you are working with can make it hard to actually get up and get to it. I agree that you are not lazy and that you are most likely worked hard and/or you don't recognize a motivation for doing what you do.

SEMO

SEMO, you are doing too many things at once and that is contributing to you being tired....not laziness.

Laziness is when you don't do anything at all (school, work, volunteer, etc) and when you are at home, you still don't do anything at all.

Yes, its called Slothfulness and it isn't something that Christians should be named at all.

adj.1.slothful - disinclined to work or exertion; "faineant kings under whose rule the country languished"; "an indolent hanger-on"; "too lazy to wash the dishes"; "shiftless idle youth"; "slothful employees"; "the unemployed are not necessarily work-shy"faineant, indolent, work-shy, lazy, otiose
idle - not in action or at work; "an idle laborer"; "idle drifters"; "the idle rich"; "an idle mind"
Sources=Sources | 4

HTH

Thanks for your response. But I wonder, isn't it possible to do stuff and still be lazy while doing it? Yes, I go to school and work but I don't give them my best effort. I give them my "just enough to get by" effort.

I was reading in the word and felt convicted by scriptures like:

Ephesians 6: 5-9 [bolded by me]
5Slaves, be obedient to those who are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ; 6not by way of eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart.
7With good will render service, as to the Lord, and not to men,
8knowing that whatever good thing each one does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether slave or free.
9And masters, do the same things to them, and give up threatening, knowing that both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no partiality with Him.

The bolded part especially makes me feel guilty :sad:.

SEMO

You may be a little discouraged since you find no joy. This is how I am now. I do what I have to do but not being 100% about what you are working with can make it hard to actually get up and get to it. I agree that you are not lazy and that you are most likely worked hard and/or you don't recognize a motivation for doing what you do.

Exactly. I know Christ should be my motivation but it's hard to "work as unto the Lord" sometimes. I just wonder if this is a issue with my flesh (where I just need more discipline) or should I see this as a sign of the enemy working in my life.

PaperClip

Sounds like signs of depression....

Nice & Wavy

Thanks for your response. But I wonder, isn't it possible to do stuff and still be lazy while doing it? Yes, I go to school and work but I don't give them my best effort. I give them my "just enough to get by" effort.

I was reading in the word and felt convicted by scriptures like:

Ephesians 6: 5-9 [bolded by me]
5Slaves, be obedient to those who are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ; 6not by way of eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart.
7With good will render service, as to the Lord, and not to men,
8knowing that whatever good thing each one does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether slave or free.
9And masters, do the same things to them, and give up threatening, knowing that both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no partiality with Him.

The bolded part especially makes me feel guilty :sad:.

Who gives their best when they are tired? I know I don't.

However, if you are feeling convicted about it...then you must act upon it and turn it around.

didirose

I also am going through all of the bolded and it has even taken its told on me physically (immunity) and emotionally. I've been through this before and did some tweaking with my time management and everything was all right. I just made sure I did everything I needed to do on my schedule. However some things just take longer than others and it's frustrating looking at the list and finding that I've only done 3 of 10 things I needed to do for the day. I don't think you are lazy at all, two jobs and grad school, no way! I do think you may be burned out which can lead to frustration and can make you stagnant in your ability to continue as you normally would. I definently don't have the answers to this one but it is something I am currently working through and it would be great to have the help of lhcf ladies.

I will keep you in my prayers and please do the same for me, too.

SEMO

I also am going through all of the bolded and it has even taken its told on me physically (immunity) and emotionally. I've been through this before and did some tweaking with my time management and everything was all right. I just made sure I did everything I needed to do on my schedule. However some things just take longer than others and it's frustrating looking at the list and finding that I've only done 3 of 10 things I needed to do for the day. I don't think you are lazy at all, two jobs and grad school, no way! I do think you may be burned out which can lead to frustration and can make you stagnant in your ability to continue as you normally would. I definently don't have the answers to this one but it is something I am currently working through and it would be great to have the help of lhcf ladies.

I will keep you in my prayers and please do the same for me, too.

I thank all of you ladies for your responses and ideas about the situation. I will think and pray on what you all have said. Thank you for praying for me didirose. I will pray for you also, along with the other ladies in this thread that have been feeling like this. I know that the Lord will help us. I will keep checking this thread and keep you all updated.

shalom

Me too, I have been struggling with this for years but I havent even begun to think about this in a spiritual sense. Shoot, have the time I wanna blame LHC cuz I stay on this thing lol:grin: , but I know better. I want to have the drive and ambition I did when I was younger. I hope you get more responses, it would be great if we could pray for each other. I hope you get responses.

This is too funny.

shalom

SEMO - I don't know what to say about this. I'm rocking in the same boat. I've been bored with my job for the past 2 years. Boredom has overcome me so that I just hate to come in. When I'm here I do what's necessary although I have a ton of stuff to do. None of it challenging though. Sometimes when my Diabetes is acting up and chronic fatigue sets in I do even less. But I managed to keep them arrow keys moving up, down and side ways so I can read the post here.:yep:

I'll pray for you and you pray for me.:look: